General Gameplay Questions Thread

What does the "Match Time" stat mean?

I noticed it when I was reviewing matches on the Show History page. To a clueless person (me), the stat just seems kinda random.

It's the time the match went on for. How long it lasted. The total time that elapsed during the segment.

I guess you could use the mid-show booking feature for that. You book the show and have Dude Love wrestle his match. Then you go back to the booking screen, change his alter ego to Mankind, book his match and voilà, Foley has wrestled twice under different alter egos.

I haven't actually tested it, so I can't say for sure if it'll work, but in theory it should.

Good attempt, but both matches reverted to the second gimmick. It all looked good until until I run the show.

To be far, I didn't do it as a "live booking", as in, I didn't wait for the first match to play out THEN add the second match, I think that might work. I was thinking it wouldn't, as you have to book to the correct show times, and adding an additional match would force you to go over that time, however I guess you could book both matches, then when the first one is played out, go back into the booking screen > Roster and change his alter ego. I'll test that, but it seems a bit fiddly considering I thought there'd actually be a mechanic in the game to do this.

Update: Yes, that worked, play out the first match, then go back to the booking screen > Roster > Worker, then change the alter ego there. Not as fiddly as I thought, but not sure I'll use it that often.

It's the time the match went on for. How long it lasted. The total time that elapsed during the segment.

Sorry bud, but that's not it. Here, this is the stat I'm curious about.

l2n2xba

I had the match go for 8 minutes (plus 2 for entrances). It says 34 for Match Time.

And I'm 100% certain that match wasn't booked 34 minutes long. Pretty sure that would've killed big ol' Fonzarelli. :D

Another example on the card is Aaron Andrews & Sammy Bach wrestling in the main event. I booked them for 25 minutes. Yet, the "Match Time" stat is 7.

Good attempt, but both matches reverted to the second gimmick. It all looked good until until I run the show.

To be far, I didn't do it as a "live booking", as in, I didn't wait for the first match to play out THEN add the second match, I think that might work. I was thinking it wouldn't, as you have to book to the correct show times, and adding an additional match would force you to go over that time, however I guess you could book both matches, then when the first one is played out, go back into the booking screen > Roster and change his alter ego. I'll test that, but it seems a bit fiddly considering I thought there'd actually be a mechanic in the game to do this.

Update: Yes, that worked, play out the first match, then go back to the booking screen > Roster > Worker, then change the alter ego there. Not as fiddly as I thought, but not sure I'll use it that often.

Do you suffer the "show featured [insert worker] too much" penalty when doing that, though?

If not, it would actually be nifty to use that to simulate stuff like the Faces of Foley, or jobbers who worked multiple times a night (like Disorderly Conduct, who were also the Texas Hangmen in WCW), or (not that many would, but I dip my toe in every once in a while) GLOW where some of the ladies played multiple roles/gimmicks (the Heavy Metal Sisters were also The Housewives and The Hoodlums).

Pretty sure that's what tripped me up. I just didn't equate Large in my mind with International. Might actually be worth a suggestion to re-title the sizes somewhat (if it hasn't already been suggested).

Honestly, I don't know why the size labels were changed in the first place. They were pretty damned clear prior to 2020.

<p><p>I'm not sure if we have enough data to determine this yet, so perhaps Adam or somebody in the know can help me, but can you pre-set someone to have one of the temporary attributes (like hot new move) and have it 'count from' when they debut? Is that just how it works?</p><p> </p><p></p><p>

Basically trying to see if I can assign the attribute to a new worker such that they come into the business with a cool move everyone's talking about.</p></p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="spiffyone" data-cite="spiffyone" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47568" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Honestly, I don't know why the size labels were changed in the first place. They were pretty damned clear prior to 2020.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I think you were probably just used to them. While I agree that it's fairly obvious that Local < Regional < National < International < Global, I think Small and Cult don't easily fit in that scale. Also, the names don't really correlate well to what they mean. A company with 30 pop across the entire world would have been Regional, while one with 50 pop in the US South West and North West would have been Cult. I think that that's very counter-intuitive.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="sonofpaul" data-cite="sonofpaul" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47568" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Morale is generally good. Most everyone is Happy and a few Very Happy. Only one Neutral, and 2 Annoyed (Shady K and Knuckles who are Prickly and Unpredictable). The other main culprits are Lead Belly who is Grifter, and Air Attack Weasel who is Gloomy. Others problem makers are Insecure, Mercenary, and Party Animal.<p> </p><p> Yeah, they aren't the most stable group. Looks like I need to promote some youth earlier than I had planned.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yeah, with the exception of Party Animal, those are some of the worst personalities to have in your locker room. Not necessarily because they're bad in and of themselves, but how they can become force multipliers for negative incidents. Grifter, for example, really start to tank you if they're unhappy AND coupled with their increased chance of getting into trouble, that's a double whammy. Gloomy is even worse since they literally multiply negative morale hits and severely cut positive morale (so bonuses don't have nearly the expected effect on them). Prickly is like gloomy but worse in that they seem to trigger incidents for even the littlest thing (isn't that right, Chiyeko Kita?). Unpredictable is fun for those people who like curveballs with the backstage environment (I am not one of those people) but not too bad, generally speaking. I've always tried to maintain positive backstage environments and it only took me 1 two month save to see I'm not hiring Fuyuko Higa post-release (troublemaking motormouth in a WOMEN'S LOCKER ROOM is Mentos in Diet Coke).</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Blake Trask" data-cite="Blake Trask" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47568" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'm not sure if we have enough data to determine this yet, so perhaps Adam or somebody in the know can help me, but can you pre-set someone to have one of the temporary attributes (like hot new move) and have it 'count from' when they debut? Is that just how it works?<p> </p><p> Basically trying to see if I can assign the attribute to a new worker such that they come into the business with a cool move everyone's talking about.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yes, definitely. If you search in the default database, you can see there are workers who have it by default.</p>

Converted a real world database from 2016 and am trying to tweak it for 2020, running into something that's driving me crazy. Sorry if there's already been a post on this.

Soon as the game starts, other companies just start making AI signings like crazy for no concrete reason. NJPW for example made 20 signings in the first month, which is absurd. They're well above the Estimated Roster to start the game (+28 on wrestlers), so there's no reason they'd need 20 extra guys. I'm glad that thing companies did in TEW 2016 where they cut half their roster to start the game isn't happening anymore, but this is just about as ridiculous. If this is common behavior for the game, that's going to get obnoxious fast. I like a semi-realistic world.

Mostly just asking, has anyone found a way to stop this weird hiring frenzy? Is there something in the editor that basically tells the AI to chill out?

Converted a real world database from 2016 and am trying to tweak it for 2020, running into something that's driving me crazy. Sorry if there's already been a post on this.

Soon as the game starts, other companies just start making AI signings like crazy for no concrete reason. NJPW for example made 20 signings in the first month, which is absurd. They're well above the Estimated Roster to start the game (+28 on wrestlers), so there's no reason they'd need 20 extra guys. I'm glad that thing companies did in TEW 2016 where they cut half their roster to start the game isn't happening anymore, but this is just about as ridiculous. If this is common behavior for the game, that's going to get obnoxious fast. I like a semi-realistic world.

Mostly just asking, has anyone found a way to stop this weird hiring frenzy? Is there something in the editor that basically tells the AI to chill out?

You can see what the owners' "roster size" settings are under the business tab, I know in 16 everyone had to be set to huge because the AI was so reluctant to hire people

The Owners roster size will help. I was running a test and the WWE was routinely signing 4-5 guys over the first month with Vince McMahon set as Large. Well in one test he died on day two, and Stephanie took over she was set at Massive roster size and they proceeded to hire 24 guys just draining the entire top level of the independents/small companies.

I'm about to test the results with it set at Medium roster size myself.

<p>that explains a lot actually</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Texasrangers13" data-cite="Texasrangers13" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47568" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The Owners roster size will help. I was running a test and the WWE was routinely signing 4-5 guys over the first month with Vince McMahon set as Large. Well in one test he died on day two, and Stephanie took over she was set at Massive roster size and they proceeded to hire 24 guys just draining the entire top level of the independents/small companies.<p> </p><p> I'm about to test the results with it set at Medium roster size myself.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><p> I've been wondering about this exact thing actually, am I understanding correctly that each individual owner's 'roster size' preference is far more important than I thought? I guess I didn't realize how much of a difference it made</p><p> </p><p> Has anyone figured out a proper balance for this yet in 2020?</p>

<p>AL controlled - Match Specific events</p><p> </p><p>

I can't say i looked though 80+ pages for the answer but here is the question. Can you have the AI book specific match types at events. Using WWE as an Example TLC, Elimination Chamber. Could i mod the AI to run this match during the show</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="KyleCamelot" data-cite="KyleCamelot" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47568" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Could someone explain the pros/cons of A TV show on your own broadcaster vs. a Weekly Event?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Just trying again, though I know it's not even out yet so maybe I'll have to try both and figure it out haha.</p><p> </p><p> Also, if I went weekly event could I also have a B show? I can't remember if you need to have an A show before you can get a B show.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="absolutelyridiculous" data-cite="absolutelyridiculous" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47568" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>You can see what the owners' "roster size" settings are under the business tab, I know in 16 everyone had to be set to huge because the AI was so reluctant to hire people</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> You know, I had wondered if this was the problem, so I'd checked the owners of the two companies that were being the most obnoxious about this and both were set to "Medium." I'd assumed that meant they'd just adhere to what the basic estimated rosters would be.</p><p> </p><p> Ran another test and setting both of them to "Very Small" seems like it made them back off without cutting talent from their own roster. That seems contradictory, but if that's what works, that's what works. Guess it's the exact opposite of that 16 example you gave.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Snake" data-cite="Snake" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47568" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I can't say i looked though 80+ pages for the answer but here is the question. Can you have the AI book specific match types at events. Using WWE as an Example TLC, Elimination Chamber. Could i mod the AI to run this match during the show</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> You can't force them to book specific match types, but you can do general things like make sure the main event is a Battle Royal (Royal Rumble), or force all matches to be 4vs4/5vs5 (Survivor Series). Check out the "AI Instructions" section of the Event screen.</p><p> </p><p> You can't force them to hold a specific type of match (TLC, Elimination Chamber) though because that would depend on which match types were in the database, and would cause issues if those match types were later removed.</p>

Questions re child company AI:

-> When I set a company up, I can set a schedule strategy (Tours, Weekly, Monthly etc) but even after recruiting a CEO and a booker, the schedule remains blank. Do I have to go in and manually set up events? If so, what's the point of setting a schedule strategy?

-> I recall in previous versions, a child company would recruit on handshake deals to fill roster gaps. I'm not seeing this happen at all any more - is this still a thing, or are child rosters exclusively what I send over?

You know, I had wondered if this was the problem, so I'd checked the owners of the two companies that were being the most obnoxious about this and both were set to "Medium." I'd assumed that meant they'd just adhere to what the basic estimated rosters would be.

If you change the owner's size preferences, then go back to the Estimated Roster size on the company page of the editor, the estimated size will change. It's not a question of being near the low or high end of the range, it's that the range will be completely different.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="gazwefc83" data-cite="gazwefc83" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47568" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Anybody else finding that workers with high popularity and skills are only getting performance ratings of the high 60s?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> How's your backstage atmosphere? That can tank it something fierce.</p>