Public Beta Reaction Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not having the ability to use the arrow keys to navigate the companies and workers is tough.... any workaround or shortcut i am missing?

Use the search box and the side arrows on the profiles. It's a big change but not nearly as bad as some are making it out to be. I know it's hard to change something you're used to doing, but I feel like people aren't giving the new style a chance.

Immediate reaction: TEW2020 is a huge and confusing change from previous games. I understand roughly 25-30% of what I'm looking at and it's going to take some time to wrap my head around everything. Not to say it looks bad or anything- what I have figured out I've liked- but it's gonna take some time to adjust.

My only big complaint is the switch to an entirely numbers based system. I always preferred the letter grades as I had a clearer understanding of what they meant whereas I'm not as clear with the numbers. That being said, I'll probably figure it out over time, it's just the big thing that jumped out at me.

I concur. I much preferred the letter grades has it gave me more of a concise understanding too. Atleast having the option woulda been nice.

Initial gut reaction:

I do not like the layout at all of the editor. Having everything in a drop-down box as opposed to spread out like it was in 2016 is unbelievably annoying and frustrating.

Hopefully I will adapt to it.

Once you get used to it, it works very efficiently and allows much quicker changes between the categories.

Oh wow, you could change how battles are scored in options.

This is huge for me and my friends. So happy this is a thing.

I get why some are put off by the UI. There is a lot of information on your screen at once and it can be overwhelming. I think it will take time to adapt but I really enjoy having it all laid out there. My only concern was not being able to use the mouse wheel for lists, but thankfully that's an option and I'm not sacrificing a tonne to get it back. I am loving almost everything so far!

I want to knee jerk complain about the overwhelming stat windows like others have, but at the same time it feels like every version of the game comes off that way until you sink a few days into the game.

One thing that is rough to look at is the amount of tables on some of the screens. There are a lot of empty areas where it's just table rows for days. Booker Analysis is probably the bet example. Something about the previous version of this screen was easier on the eyes.

My constructive criticism for now seems to be only with the UI. I haven't test everything out, but it is the only thing that stand as a big minus for me so far. I hope that, if possible, Adam can patch some things.

It looks like the extra space gained with the new resolution was just used to stack info in there without having aesthetics to balance it well. The side-bars are almost impossible to read, as they continue to go worse for each version. The UI itself seems over-complicated and brings in an unnecessary long learning curve even for veterans. This could have been resolved with a better presentation, better and more balanced colors and a better approach on how to place some features to maximize the screen. Also, the side-bars need to be fully readable and those symbols are either small, confusing, unable to be understood without having to hover over them every single time...and pretty much user unfriendly.

Part of this could have been easily resolved with both having the detailed handbook and still allowing the question marks to be there, as they clarify small doubts or certain doubts much faster.

That is my biggest pet peeve so far. The rest is looking top notch, from what i've seen.

Thoughts?

Use the search box and the side arrows on the profiles. It's a big change but not nearly as bad as some are making it out to be. I know it's hard to change something you're used to doing, but I feel like people aren't giving the new style a chance.

I don't think you're acknowledging how much this affects all the long text lists that appear beyond the Workers screen. Take the Main page alone. You can't arrow through the news stories, instead needing to click them all individually. You can't two-finger scroll through the massive lists contained in the Diary or the Power 500 or Most Popular. It's a much bigger hindrance than just one screen.

Once you get used to it, it works very efficiently and allows much quicker changes between the categories.

That's what I am hoping for. My knee-jerk reaction is what I hope I get over. I love the depth and I like the colors and all of the game. But, it is a massive change to the way it was presented to us that we've all gotten used to for years. I am hoping that I will adjust and find it user friendly. At the moment it doesn't feel like it.

Very fun and interesting so far (and I mean a very quick flick through the game menus and the editor)

The only thing that stuck out to me is not being able to set popularity for a whole region with a slide bar, now you have to type each region one at a time. Now with tab it doesn't take very long, but if I'm updating someone who has national popularity in the US it was previously far easier to just pull the slider along to set all regions.

Again, very early days and very minor. Going to take a deeper look now.

Won’t be buying on day one. UI a bit too clunky for me.

Might look again when mods come out but having looked forward to the game I have been brought back down to Earth today. On the surface feels a step backwards.

Play around in the game, you'll get used to the UI and it will be a big step up from what you're used to! Trust me.

To anyone commenting on UI, I understand that it's different from the previous games.

This game was a wholesale, made from scratch, new game. This was not updated 2016 (much like 2016 was an updated 2013).

Give it a chance, play with the preferences (the buttons configurations on some menus are actually editable!) and go with the learning curve. Hold off on final judgment until you've spent some time with it.

For those who have played WMMA5, you know what I'm saying.

It looks like the extra space gained with the new resolution was just used to stack info in there without having aesthetics to balance it well.

I mentioned it earlier but there are some screens where it's just blasting you with row after row of data with that thick table border crowding the text. There are some screens where it works fine, but when you have a big list of information being thrown at you it gets kind of nasty looking.

Maybe it's just me but this screen in particular is a bit of an eyesore.

wIutOIq.png

And it looks like I'm not able to sort the list by push or disposition either.

Graphically this feels like an Excel spreadsheet that's been made into a game - it feels very "default", from the fonts to the boxes.

Whether that can be changed with skins, I don't know, but the larger issue is that it feels very busy and poorly laid out, which is a UI issue rather than graphical. I appreciate that there are more features packed in, but even with things that are the same as '16, it's night and day in regards to how user friendly they are. Firstly, from '16:

FXoA25s.png

It's simple but it's fine. The boxes have some colour to them, the font is uniform throughout and everything is sectioned clearly and appropriately. Compare it to the same options in '20:

3yajyrZ.png

Default fonts, default boxes, no organisation, different font sizes and very hard to read and organise in your own mind as you're scanning through it.

Another example, the size section. All the info is the same, but look at the difference in how user friendly it is:

FRTJciO.png

In '16 your eyes are instantly drawn to the large numbers and the big, bold colours. You can see every figure for every region on one screen and the quick and minor information, how to get to the next level, is displayed briefly at the top. Now compare this to '20:

VyHaaKV.png

The info you want to see is in a tiny font, you have to scroll through each area as opposed to everything being displayed on one page, the minor game information on how to get to the next level takes up a 3rd of the screen and it's also the section with the most colour, which draws your eye towards it.

Excuse the long post, but I didn't want to say "I don't like the UI" without giving reasons as to why.

To anyone commenting on UI, I understand that it's different from the previous games.

This game was a wholesale, made from scratch, new game. This was not updated 2016 (much like 2016 was an updated 2013).

Give it a chance, play with the preferences (the buttons configurations on some menus are actually editable!) and go with the learning curve. Hold off on final judgment until you've spent some time with it.

For those who have played WMMA5, you know what I'm saying.

There's no learning curve for fonts, colors, sizes, and borders that are headache-inducing, though.