Public Beta Reaction Thread

with public beta patch 2 it is so much more stable thus far. All my frustrations of stability from yesterday are gone already. I already feel this game is great. I wish the side bar information in your office could either be categorized or alphabetized, but it's something I can get used to. At least we can edit the bottom portion to our liking for the main quick links which i found really helped me once I set that how I liked. I turned the scrolling back on like previous version but with some screens not allowing scrolling still, that is the one thing I'm getting used to but no biggie really. So far my initial reaction is this game is head and shoulders past the previous and will only get better.

Thanks so much for delivering another game that'll be a day 1 purchase from me for sure.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts after swapping the skin and booking a few shows has changed from initially. There are several QOL things, primarily being unable to use scroll wheel on some lists, but overall I don't know if I hate the UI as much as I initially did.

If everyone's first look to the office screen was buttons rather than a large block of text as seen below, I do think it would have helped the initial reaction. The excessive amount of white lines breaking up lines in tables is also terrible on the eyes.

As for the features, the only negative I've run into so far is the removal of custom products. If possible coding wise, I'm not sure why there has been a step back from 2016 in that department.

Overall while my post may seem rather negative, there are a ton of positives and with some fixes that I'm sure will come I can see it turning into a good game.

KaJHBSj.png

Completely agree. This, and the personality given to the characters, makes the game world so much more realistic.

For all the (justified) complaints about the UI (it definitely hurts my eyes/head and is unclear in a lot of places), the "meat" improvements like this are really top-notch and shouldn't be overlooked.

If we can just get the UI improved, and some QoL improvements to reduce the number of clicks (like say being able to access worker stats while booking angles to see what to rate them on) the game would be a clear winner.

This is true. An overlooked thing has also been the new gimmick system, love it. More intuitive and realistic, more easy to setup, but also superior instead of just being a choose-the-gimmick-you-know-will-rate-better-even-if-idoesn't-make-sense kind of thing.

The core of the game is awesome. Some patches and maybe, as you said some QOL improvements, including to the UI, if possible, and this can become a great success story. The core of the game is brilliant, now it just needs some tweaks to better set up the whole thing in a more fluid and friendly way.

As for the features, the only negative I've run into so far is the removal of custom products. If possible coding wise, I'm not sure why there has been a step back from 2016 in that department.

This ^^^ and the very limited options in terms of AI booking styles are the two things that stick out to me at the moment in terms of outstanding issues with the gameplay/modding itself.

Promotions like a 92-96 FMW (who yes ran deathmatches, but also technical masterclass, "different style" matches, and goofy lucha comedy type matches) isn't really available in the current setup.

As of now we basically have 2 "booking types" for lucha and puro which isn't really reflective of reality.

Actual match ratios over the past 2 years for Japan/Mexico

edk9wHa.png

1AMoBc2.png

I mentioned it when these features were announced, but I'd be happy to canvas all of the "real life" booking match ratios that promotions use at the moment to give us more options here.

I know before we could set them to:

1v1

2v2

3v3

Triangle

4-Way

I'm pretty sure Adam mentioned there are now 8 of those types available under the hood (times the 5 show types available) giving each of the styles roughly 40 sliders to play with under the hood.

If someone (Adam?) can give me a heads up as to what they other 3 match types are I'd be happy to do the leg work to give us some variety in the AI booking styles based on how real companies book.

I already did this for Real World Chronicles in 2016, so adding a few more match types to my breakdown would be relatively easy.

one thing that i'm sure will be fixed in a patch, but it's a mild annoyance and unrealistic--a wrestler shouldn't be considered being "used too much" if they're just wrestling in a pre-show match

If it's for the crowd reaction, yes it's realistic .I wouldn't want to see a 40 minutes match with Mojo Rawley even if it's just a pre-match 10 minutes of him inside they ring is already to much.

Having a great time exploring the game. Played for nearly 8 hours last night, but only managed to book and run two shows.

The one note I'd offer so far is that it still takes a lot of clicking to rebook house shows after the results come in email--at least for me, I work from those email results in booking the next round of house shows, so I have to open email, pick two results to swap opponents, click out of email, click over to house shows, click to book, click to choose from the drop down, ckicky clicky clicky...I wish the drop down lists would only show available workers...somehow not showing people already booked on the house show loop. would love something that shows me who I've checked for chemistry.

Nit pickery aside, I'm enjoying the game, as expected. Can't wait to buy it.

Ability to switch to old scrolling style is great - but why is it not on every menu? Most notably when picking road agent notes while booking a match, absolute pain in the ass to pick those since I can't do it the old way.

Being able to press the letters to quickly jump to Open Match, Slow Build, Loser, Finish type, etc. was soooo great. Now I can't.

It's on the email screen too. This new style is terrible.

If ANYBODY has a fix for this problem where I am forced to use the new UI on certain screens even after turning it off in preferences. Please tell me.

Ability to switch to old scrolling style is great - but why is it not on every menu? Most notably when picking road agent notes while booking a match, absolute pain in the ass to pick those since I can't do it the old way.

Being able to press the letters to quickly jump to Open Match, Slow Build, Loser, Finish type, etc. was soooo great. Now I can't.

It's on the email screen too. This new style is terrible.

EDIT: Just got banned on the GDS discord for using the "s" word when complaining about this. And when I reposted my comment without the word and said the language warning was hilarious I was promptly banned with a message "Not so hilarious now is it?". Just want to say it's even more hilarious now because there's zero way I'm buying the game if that's how you're treating loyal fans of 10+ years. Been a long time user on this forum and always followed the rules but that makes the trigger no less quick over there.

If ANYBODY has a fix for this problem where I am forced to use the new UI on certain screens even after turning it off in preferences. Please tell me.

I actually want to use the new UI on every screen. I just want to be able to scroll through that list using the scroll on a mouse, or arrow keys.

This is a beta test. The game will be more polished as updates come out. I'm not going to buy it right now but once I hear that the major issues (mainly the quality of life stuff involving being able to use the keyboard more ... and being able to adjust autobooker angle times so that they aren't all 15 minutes by default) are updated I will be very excited to hand over my money.

I actually want to use the new UI on every screen. I just want to be able to scroll through that list using the scroll on a mouse, or arrow keys.

Absolutely, making this possible would make it such a better experience.

There is so much to like about this game. Love stables, dev control, new personality, talking to workers. But if I hate navigating through menus and lists, I'm not going to put any time into it. Can't buy it in it's current state

I've played for a few hours now between patch 1 and patch 2 and I think my biggest issues are that all the info on wrestlers feels hard to parse and contextualize within the game.

For instance, let's say I want to start unemployed, create my own company, and go backyard to global. The product I've selected requires a storyline, and I want to start with a simple one based around crowning the first main event title holder. The perception system, while nice and I think a useful addition, means nothing at the start of a company. Who's perceived as a star and who isn't? Who knows, we haven't even held our first event yet! I can look at all my workers I've hired and figure out who has the best skill ranges, but that doesn't put those numbers in context within my company's fans' specific wants and needs. You can even see this in the Creative tab, you're told about Hidden Gems, but you are not told why or how they could slot into company.

Greetings everyone!

Let me preface saying I have played the beta for a few times now and generally find the game on the same quality level as the last iteration.

What I do find unfortunate as a long, long time lurker on the forums is that Grey Dog Software, specifically Adam, doesn't seem to patch/upgrade his games in regard to user feedback in a meaningful way once the public release comes through. To further elaborate, most of the patches for WMMA5/TEW2016 seem to be bug fixes/minor adjustments and additions that as a fellow programmer/game developer I find baffling. The current trend in development of consumer-grade software is the so called "user-approved philosophy"; your product is only considered truly completed once the majority of user feedback is positive, and major issues are solved with frequent and/or major updates (see the No Man's Sky case, and note the positive impact on sales and popularity the user-approved philosophy had for the company once it was adopted). I understand the amount of work that goes into software development; what seems like a small addition on the surface might be tangled deeply in the code, however one big plus of the situation is that Adam has built such a strong framework for himself over the years. Each game iterates on the last version's code and improves it. This means he is more familiar with specifics of the code he is creating as he has already worked in this environment (+reusability) as opposed to writing the whole game from scratch.

This all comes in contrast to what both indie and AAA studios seem to understand and actively pursue in this day and age; active updates based on user feedback, free or paid. Frequent updates often serve as a relevancy boost, as they keep people engaged and are used to create an additional wave of "buzz" for the product. Moral of the story is, updating the product based on user-feedback has proven to be one of the newfound philosophical pillars of the industry, and very much financially viable and I personally ask Adam to rethink his stance on strong, bulky releases of the past and not feel the need to cram all of the features for the "v1.0".

What I was taught in one of my bussiness-focused CS classes; If you receive a feedback that a person will not buy/use your software because of a certain issue, treat it like the issue bothers your whole customer base, no matter how minor or major the issue is."

Hope none of this comes of as a sort of a bash on Adam or his work, as I am a big fan and want nothing but the best for him and the game.

Cheers!

After booking a show, just a couple of things that imo would make the game easier to grasp for newcomers

1. Have "On script" promo ticked as default instead of the other way round. By itself, it makes way more sense to have it that way.

2. For mods, which always do a tremendous job either way, have less people listed as road agents especially since the game picks them at random for matches or segments, and I just had Brie Bella as the road agent for my main event.

Just noticed something when I was searching- the 'near to' option on location is all messed up. For example, when I searched for workers based near to North West, the same list came up as when I searched for near to New England. Also, unless I'm very much mistaken nowhere in Canada should really class as being near to South-East, right?

I am learning so much about what I was doing wrong and/or missed in TEW 2016! :D I do think there should be a ticker or poll so people can agree with certain things they don't like without blowing up the thread.

I know we are now in a time where trolling and lack of couth is the internet norms, so I praise those who are lodging their concerns and complaints in a constructive manner.

I have just installed the patch, so here goes to finally booking a show!

The button I really miss is the static button to be able to move segments up and down on the booking screen. The individual buttons next to each match and angle make it very tiring to scroll my mouse up with the movement. Wish I just had a button I could mash. Maybe there is! Let me know if I'm missing it.

For what it's worth, can whatever algorithm booking AI shows also be used for the Auto Booker?

When auto booking the whole show, I always end up with 5 angles in a row before the main event and a random tag team match at the end.

The AI booking for other companies clearly seems more intelligent with how the angles and matches alternate.

Yes, THIS. So much this, this is what we need, can we have this please?

The auto booker is my number 1 biggest problem now, but this change would fix the game for me almost entirely!

I've played for a few hours now between patch 1 and patch 2 and I think my biggest issues are that all the info on wrestlers feels hard to parse and contextualize within the game.

For instance, let's say I want to start unemployed, create my own company, and go backyard to global. The product I've selected requires a storyline, and I want to start with a simple one based around crowning the first main event title holder. The perception system, while nice and I think a useful addition, means nothing at the start of a company. Who's perceived as a star and who isn't? Who knows, we haven't even held our first event yet! I can look at all my workers I've hired and figure out who has the best skill ranges, but that doesn't put those numbers in context within my company's fans' specific wants and needs. You can even see this in the Creative tab, you're told about Hidden Gems, but you are not told why or how they could slot into company.

From a straight game play point of view, from your scenario; unemployed, backyard to global. Isn’t it on you to make the fans believe or not believe in the people you are giving the push? Most of your hires, unless you snag a low level jobber from a big company to be your big dog, will be unknowns so as Booker you need to make that guy a star in your fans eyes.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding your post, idk. We all have our personal ticks with this game I guess.

2016 also had a hidden gem section in creative that told you workers would be good for your company but never told you why, unless I missed something the entire time I’ve played this, which might be true I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed, I’m just a tool. I digress, IMHO it’s on you as a booker to figure out how and why they’d fit into YOUR company and YOUR plans. That’s just me again and my personal opinion on how I play the game. I know I don’t want the AI to tell me everything, why bother playing.

The button I really miss is the static button to be able to move segments up and down on the booking screen. The individual buttons next to each match and angle make it very tiring to scroll my mouse up with the movement. Wish I just had a button I could mash. Maybe there is! Let me know if I'm missing it.

Noticed the same. It's a minor detail but it makes a big difference.