Public Beta Reaction Thread

Has the option to use your keys to navigate certian areas in game been discussed yet if so where do we stand on that feature?

Per the status update pinned on this forum:

There's also been a lot of people who have asked for more scroll bar / arrow key support; I think most people have now gotten to grips with the fact that you need to change your preferences (via Options -> Preferences -> uncheck "Enable New-Style Coloured Lists") to have the old-style scrollable lists, but I'm also going to be extending their use onto more screens to help with that.

So as I understand it, at the moment it works for some menus, but only if you turn colours off. It will work for more in a future patch, but again only with colours off.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perception is important, the perception for many is and has been for a long time Adam surrounds himself with Yes men. I understand this is frustrating for Adam and his dev team but it's not unwarranted. Dating back to EWB some on the dev team have been dismissive and often passive aggressive / condescending when dealing with the paying public. To add to this most of the dev team are his long time circle, for years I've witnessed thousands of different members come and go, pleading to help with the development side and literally ignored.

You guys thinking you're not yes men I liken to Fox News hosts. I genuinely don't think you all tow the line out of some blind loyalty but you're clearly only in that team in the first place because you think a certain way, that way happens to be the Adam way which seems to only further his determination to push his version of a wrestling world upon us. I've not seen one new dev member added to that team that's disagreed with Adam or his outlook on wrestling in over 17 years of following the series. This is a serious issue and it's culminated in a demo that shows how out of touch with the community the series has become.

You call it a narrative, I prefer perception because many people think this is the case and for good reason. Many more instances I can cite that further show why many think this but I fear that will derail the point, happy to provide more if you like though.

Transparency is vital also, some insight into the dev process for example. As it stands these are the three scenarios that seem to have taken place but we've not been told so I'm guessing...

A) Testers saw things and told Adam but he ignored them (This is a major problem)

B) Testers saw things and didn't tell Adam (This is a major problem)

C) Testers didn't see things (This is a major problem)

Instead of owning it and raising your hands admitting to one of these three scenarios and addressing that major problem, a lot of the testers seem to be on the forums going on the attack in reply to an attack. This isn't healthy or smart practice, not for anyone and most importantly the game.

Maybe the entire development process needs rethinking.

Madden EA developers have been shipping out terrible game after terrible game for 12 years now. Instead of owning up to what they have done, they always claim they've fixed their problems and ship out a new game the next year.

Guess what happened? Madden sales have steadily been on the decline and nobody trusts anything that EA Development team says anymore.

This is why I respect you so much, Genadi. Thank you for saying (in a polite way, I may add), what a lot of us are thinking.

I love alot of the new features but I'm also on that hill. Playing Primarily RW mods not being able to customize / edit the product is a definitely a no go for me, hopefully something can be done because I dig pretty much everything else about this game.

It's absolutely insane that one cannot edit the product of their wrestling company. WWF/E has changed their product so much since 1984, it would be impossible to start from then and have a realistic simulation/mod game. How could this not be included?

Hello all! The conversation has seemed to drift back towards testers and is looking like it could get out of hand and digress into hostility on both sides of the aisle and I would like to avoid that. I'm stepping in to guide the conversation back towards the intention of the original post -- to discuss the Beta and our reactions but to the actual game. Not to the processes that went into the game or who you may or may not think did a good or a bad job and the reasons why. Adam has stepped up to the plate and said he's aware that people are unhappy with elements of the game and he delayed the release of the game to address those elements.

I appreciate everyone's passion. Being a small community of fans of both wrestling, games, and specifically sports management and sandbox games (all of those categories are already smaller communities) our passions tend to burn brighter because there are not a widespread amount of us nor are there a lot of places to go within the community. I want to remind everyone that we are all apart of the same community and that everyone posting here (whether criticism or confirmations or whatever) all want the same thing. A game that they can play and enjoy and give them the experience that they want. Everyone's working towards that goal and everyone's intentions are towards that -- so let's try to stay on point and work towards that goal constructively without taking the conversation down a side path.

Thank you!

My apologies, Historian. I had the thread loaded an hour before and was reading through the last page before your post was made.

You won't hear another mention of it from me.

It's absolutely insane that one cannot edit the product of their wrestling company. WWF/E has changed their product so much since 1984, it would be impossible to start from then and have a realistic simulation/mod game. How could this not be included?

You can change from Attitude Entertainment to Sports Entertainment to PG SE over time for sure though, yes?

You can change from Attitude Entertainment to Sports Entertainment to PG SE over time for sure though, yes?

But it's preset and I can't fine tune it?

In an alternate universe, minor things would be changed.

For example, in early 90s mods, I lower the WWF comedy from medium to low.

Can I do that now? :confused:

Wait...what?

*checks in the database editor*

Holy hell...I didn't even think to, well...think that the area setup would be completely removed.

Why? Just...why?

I just came back to this topic to kinda jokingly suggest a modification "Other TV Shows" in the default database because the Stanley Cup Finals does indeed have something of an impact on US viewership and because this baseball fan is baffled by the complete lack of MLB's World Series there. But now I'm actually miffed.

Why would the area setup be removed? Maybe it's in another menu item...

*checks again*

Nope. Not there. And, hell...the entire Game World part of the database has been removed.

The only thing that's still kinda sorta there is industry trends (within "Eras") but its another example of user specified fine tuning options being removed for canned choices.

I believe (though I'm not certain) that this has been removed for two reasons. First, the Young Lions/Loyalty that was previously tied to an area is now tied to the federations, so that wasn't needed. Secondly, regional importance has been removed (and seems to be tied to certain Locations in each region?). Industry Level and Economy Level can be found in the Database Details, the button at the bottom of the editor. Community Size is the only thing I can't find...and I'm not sure how used that was to begin with.

You can't.

It's really strange that you can't make a minor tweak like that, yet you can completely eliminate the face-heel divide which is surely a fundamental change to the product.

I saw some threads about this but can no longer find them, and/or may have missed the answer.

Is it possible (and if so, might we see this happen) to extend the trial play time out by a few months as we wait for May 14?

Personally, I want to see if I can Drew McIntyre on track prior to Wrestlemania, lest I have to cut his title reign short. ;)

You can't.

It's really strange that you can't make a minor tweak like that, yet you can completely eliminate the face-heel divide which is surely a fundamental change to the product.

Yeah you can't decide if the fans hate short matches, but you can change how they calculate the ratios of how they calculate the calculation of the final calculation of the entire event mixed with the calculation of all the calculations of the matches on the show and calculate the final calculation of the calculation of the entire wrestling event they just witnessed.

I saw some threads about this but can no longer find them, and/or may have missed the answer.

Is it possible (and if so, might we see this happen) to extend the trial play time out by a few months as we wait for May 14?

Personally, I want to see if I can Drew McIntyre on track prior to Wrestlemania, lest I have to cut his title reign short. ;)

Not happening

I like the new UI for the most part, outside of maybe those white lines needing to be some shade of gray and the white text maybe one shade duller. The office buttons could definitely be categorized or alphabetized as well, but it doesn't take long to get a feel for where they all are (again, a little less brightness would help there).

The attributes, perception, and additions to stables are some of my favorite new features.

One feature I like for the most part is Talk to Worker, as it can help see if people will put someone over before you're already stuck booking the match. What's weird though is how much you can talk to workers on written contracts with other promotions. As SWF I think I could get almost every worker in TCW and USPW to move to New England (SWF's home base) and I could get a lot of them to change styles. I didn't check if they all just revert back the next day, but it just seemed way to easy to convince them when I work for a rival company. I don't think I had much luck getting those guys to take steroids (sabotage), but it still seems weird to have that option. Maybe it should be blocked for workers under contract elsewhere, or at least under written contract elsewhere? Maybe it can open up when the contact is 1 month from expiration and negotiation is open?

You can't.

This was the one thing that I found devastating when it was announced. I always use this feature and was totally shocked to learn I might be one of a few that actually do, as it was said it was took out because no one used it. It reminded me when storylines were took out, I got over it, but I still miss them. Fact is, I still make them up anyways, and just try to utilize them best I can while playing the game.

This was the one thing that I found devastating when it was announced. I always use this feature and was totally shocked to learn I might be one of a few that actually do, as it was said it was took out because no one used it. It reminded me when storylines were took out, I got over it, but I still miss them. Fact is, I still make them up anyways, and just try to utilize them best I can while playing the game.

I definitely used it.

Getting the right products and potential moves for AI companies was mandatory for every save i played.

Yeah you can't decide if the fans hate short matches, but you can change how they calculate the ratios of how they calculate the calculation of the final calculation of the entire event mixed with the calculation of all the calculations of the matches on the show and calculate the final calculation of the calculation of the entire wrestling event they just witnessed.

I N T U I T I V E

The complaints from players about Products is just theory crafting at this point. It's impossible to tell from the 2 months in-game if the new Product system is good or not.

This is a massive risk for the game, and I am willing to give it a shot because its flaws are rather obvious, and the positives, I think, could be very good.

The best thing is that every promotion feels unique and has stuff you like or maybe not like as much about it and are forced to do. This is, in my opinion, great. Literally EVERY single promotion I played in TEW 2016 was booked the same with some very minor differences, mainly regarding things like having to put match aims on. My template for a show was the same across the board.

Now, try booking TCW, a company that likes long matches and doesn't care how long angles are, to a company like USPW that yawns at every thing you do. It's great.

I totally get all the reservations mod makers have about this.

The product system in 2016 was kinda dumb. RatedRKO brought up the dumbest part of it-- you just change Comedy from low to very low to get a product that doesn't have something that doesn't perfectly line up with what you want, smile, and start bookin' away. This system has a lot of nuance, and I get that people love customization options, but sometimes it is fun being forced into things.

That said... I do think something will be added in to customize the products. I don't think Adam realizes how much of a pain in the ass it will be dealing with it down the line.

Can anyone explain with a tldr how the product rules have changed on this years edition. I was looking into those for my run with WWE and they seem stricter than usual.

Like long angles get penalized and long angles are considered anything longer than 4 minutes for some reason

Hello all! The conversation has seemed to drift back towards testers and is looking like it could get out of hand and digress into hostility on both sides of the aisle and I would like to avoid that. I'm stepping in to guide the conversation back towards the intention of the original post -- to discuss the Beta and our reactions but to the actual game. Not to the processes that went into the game or who you may or may not think did a good or a bad job and the reasons why. Adam has stepped up to the plate and said he's aware that people are unhappy with elements of the game and he delayed the release of the game to address those elements.

I appreciate everyone's passion. Being a small community of fans of both wrestling, games, and specifically sports management and sandbox games (all of those categories are already smaller communities) our passions tend to burn brighter because there are not a widespread amount of us nor are there a lot of places to go within the community. I want to remind everyone that we are all apart of the same community and that everyone posting here (whether criticism or confirmations or whatever) all want the same thing. A game that they can play and enjoy and give them the experience that they want. Everyone's working towards that goal and everyone's intentions are towards that -- so let's try to stay on point and work towards that goal constructively without taking the conversation down a side path.

Thank you!

Is there anywhere we are allowed to discuss this? Maybe this is the wrong topic for it, but it frankly flabbergasts me that very valid points made politely aren't allowed to be raised out of fear of people taking it as a personal slight. Yes, what's done is done now and we all want the same thing but how are we supposed to get there when a discussion into the fundamental reasons of why this happened in the first place is immediately shut down?

The complaints from players about Products is just theory crafting at this point. It's impossible to tell from the 2 months in-game if the new Product system is good or not.

This is a massive risk for the game, and I am willing to give it a shot because its flaws are rather obvious, and the positives, I think, could be very good.

The best thing is that every promotion feels unique and has stuff you like or maybe not like as much about it and are forced to do. This is, in my opinion, great. Literally EVERY single promotion I played in TEW 2016 was booked the same with some very minor differences, mainly regarding things like having to put match aims on. My template for a show was the same across the board.

Now, try booking TCW, a company that likes long matches and doesn't care how long angles are, to a company like USPW that yawns at every thing you do. It's great.

The product system in 2016 was kinda dumb. RatedRKO brought up the dumbest part of it-- you just change Comedy from low to very low to get a product that doesn't have something that doesn't perfectly line up with what you want, smile, and start bookin' away. This system has a lot of nuance, and I get that people love customization options, but sometimes it is fun being forced into things.

That said... I do think something will be added in to customize the products.

So i'm not sure if this data is affecting the AI's management or scores but i assume it does. I assume it adjusts their parameters even if it's slight but this is organic change by the AI a year into the game for TEW 2016 (RW Mod). The ROH AI adjusts two of their current levels 1. Modern (Key Feature to Heavy) & 2. Hyper Realism (None to Very Low) during a 1 year span.

ROH-1-year.jpg

ROH-Game.jpg

Is this type of movement still possible in 20 with the templates? If there is some change off of a standard style a company holds for years and years i can appreciate that i suppose but it's not quite as good as these type of settings that allow some fine tuning and THEORETICALLY their organic evolution in game so the world feels alive with that aspect.

I appreciate the creativity and insight by those making the product options but whose to say the settings for a particular product are even accurate? It's not like these things are void of subjectivity in certain areas.

I dunno.

As a game developer I don't understand why you would create something in the game that essentially boils down to having people ask you to do them a favor for their mod and whatever, or having them ask you to change and balance stuff, when you could easily just spend the time fixing bugs and other things. I foresee this being a total disaster and causing a ton of conflict, even though I like the feature RIGHT NOW (without actually having had the time to make a decision if I like it completely).

I get that people love customization options, but sometimes it is fun being forced into things.

But if we can have our cake and eat it too, why shouldn't we?

Why can't the preset products remain, but still give people the freedom to customize?

To be honest, if people want to play the same way as they usually do, I don't think they should be punished for that. I like doing roleplay saves and challenge games as much as the next guy, but I also like to have a save where I have complete control.

TEW 2020 robs me of that. It will either push people away entirely, or people will just find the one product that most closely resembles the way they want to play and only play that product no matter what company or mod they play. Except that product will never be exactly the way they wanted it to be, so it's still not as fun as the previous iteration in the game series.

To be honest, if people want to play the same way as they usually do, I don't think they should be punished for that. I like doing roleplay saves and challenge games as much as the next guy, but I also like to have a save where I have complete control.

Going by the “Creative” entry in the handbook, some forms of play are not welcomed.

It may be that the perceived min-maxing/manipulation of product settings was seen as an undesirable way of playing the game.

That’s ultimately a matter of creative vision, and I have respect for that, even as I see it making the game less enjoyable for some people.

I think it wouldn’t be such an issue if the products were better implemented - eg USPW and ACPW are two examples of the default products having fundamental issues.

That said... I do think something will be added in to customize the products. I don't think Adam realizes how much of a pain in the ass it will be dealing with it down the line.

Good post, this is exactly how I feel, and quite frankly, the new product system doesn't impact me or the way I play the game in the slightest, I never mess around with product settings.

But I also acknowledge that it DOES infuriate some players... and that's ok too.