TEW IX Public Beta Release Reaction Thread

12 minutes ago, Irish Wolf said:

Thats sad. There was an excellent women's wrestling mod made for 2020 hopefully that gets ported over and maybe even fleshed out some more 

Do you know the name? Gonna keep my eye out.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Irish Wolf said:

Thats sad. There was an excellent women's wrestling mod made for 2020 hopefully that gets ported over and maybe even fleshed out some more 

You probably mean willr0ck's Womens Revolution mod - that and Rockverse really offer some colour to Cverse if you bring workers over.  I know he's working on a version of Rockverse and I imagine he might do the womens one at some stage too.  These thigns are a lot of work though.  From what people are indicating most 2020 mods convert pretty well but may obviosuly need some tweaks to optimise them.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, alpha2117 said:

You probably mean willr0ck's Womens Revolution mod - that and Rockverse really offer some colour to Cverse if you bring workers over.  I know he's working on a version of Rockverse and I imagine he might do the womens one at some stage too.  These thigns are a lot of work though.  From what people are indicating most 2020 mods convert pretty well but may obviosuly need some tweaks to optimise them.  

Yeah it was The Women's Revolution mod

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alpha2117 said:

the matches he has had are normally with high profile people.

Well maybe the game needs to be better at letting you try to build up a guy who's not well known at all, rather than inflating the popularity of guys who are objectively not well known.

Just a few years ago Gunther/Walter was objectively a nobody in the US, he's not doing too bad for himself these days. In game terms I don't think he should have instantly be given 65 in Popularity for his 1st Smackdwon match so that Drew Gulak would have agreed to do a job without complaining and so that fans wouldn't have hated the match because he wasn't already a popular guy beating another popular guy.

I get it, in TEW 2020, Okada would never get an absurd amount of money and instant main event status in a US promotion. But in real life it's not something that normally happens either, that was an anomaly rather than a common occurrence.

In real life why would the WWE even bother with something like NXT if instead of trying to build up new stars they could just throw money at Tetsuya Naito or Psycho Clown to get guys who would be immediately ready for at least the midcard on the main roster?

Edited by MisterSocko
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Okada is very different to Naito or Psycho Clown though - firstly he had a base level pop from his run in TNA.  Subsequently he went home and became a huge star there - the hardcore fans know him as a megastar.  For those that didn't he then came over to the US and had a fair few really high profile belts on high profile cards against major talents who were over.  I honestly think the mod you are using has probably got him fairly right in regards to his level in the US but either way I dont think your issue is with the game itself it's with the mod you are using.

14 minutes ago, alpha2117 said:

I honestly think the mod you are using has probably got him fairly right in regards to his level in the US but either way I dont think your issue is with the game itself it's with the mod you are using.

The mod I'm using has him at 30 pop in the US (which I would consider reasonable, and you may consider low) in the database editor, and that instantly gets inflated to 66 when I start a game because his popularity in Japan is high. Tanahashi is even lower in the editor, and gets bumped up to 63.

3 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

I will say, the C-Verse database this year feels like it's specifically set up to punish people who like to play women's feds. The number of female workers under the age of 34 with Star Quality higher than 80? Twelve. Click that over to male workers and there it's a significantly higher number.

this is definitely a bit disappointing as this was my number one hope for the update. in vanilla 2020 I always felt it was a herculean task to grow women's wrestling, whether by starting a new fed or working with one of the default ones, and the 2022 Cverse seems like a regression or at least a stagnation. I totally get that such a massive backlog of lore can make worldbuilding at the Cverse scale a daunting task, but it's still a missed opportunity for a fantasy universe to be so much more vanilla and quaint than the real world in such an obvious key aspect like this

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CodeBlue_88 said:

the in-game relationships are on steroids (good luck to anyone playing 80’s or 90’s RW mods), and the AI is still not anywhere near realistic (I’m still seeing stables break up

Thank you. I was starting to feel like I was the only one that was bothered by these. The stable problem existed in the previous game and was never addressed and now we can't even turn down the relationship frequency. 

The whole appeal of TEW to me was the unfettered control over a game world and with each new iteration, it feels more and more like we're only permitted to engage with the game one way.

Edited by D.W.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Irish Wolf said:

If you're talking about Willrock's mod, that was partially integrated into @lavelleuk's Alt C-Verse 2022, which has already been converted from TEW 2020 and I highly recommend checking out. There's a few Women only Wrestling companies in there.

Edit: Link included to the thread below. I will never not shill for this mod

Edited by Chikbot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, alpha2117 said:

Liar its clear that GDS is using its vast resources to pay you millions, unless you are a bot .... are you a bot?  Did you replace the real DarK_RaideR?  The machines are taking over ... we are doomed

You can't spell DarK_RaideR without AI

7 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

Is that them being progressive, or is it that them covering their behinds because some of the workers do not look at ALL like how they did in previous iterations (Demelza Wade was the most notable, but there are a few others)?

I was looking at OJ Houston on the GSW roster and realized I couldn't tell from the image if she's black or white; that's when I looked up and realized the game just says "American" instead of "Black American". I honestly don't care to judge GDS and Adam on their intentions, I looked at myself and honestly asked what does it matter anyway. She could be either. She could mixed race. Where would one draw the line? Does a line even need to be drawn? Isn't race a social construct?

Don't want to get all political here and start a flame war, at the end of the day it's a game featuring made up characters. I care about things that actually affect the game, like their skills and attributes.

On a slightly more game-related feedback, it's been a few days and I'm still not fully sold on the new worker setup. Was quite used to the 2020 setup where I'd immediately see skills and pop, then a single click on the former would switch to attributes or on the latter would switch to contract info. I've seen people say they'd get overwhelmed by all the info though and they prefer the current iteration, so at the end of the day it's a designer choice. Bit impractical, but still not a dealbreaker for yours truly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, MisterSocko said:

The mod I'm using has him at 30 pop in the US (which I would consider reasonable, and you may consider low) in the database editor, and that instantly gets inflated to 66 when I start a game because his popularity in Japan is high. Tanahashi is even lower in the editor, and gets bumped up to 63.

Have you tried lowering/turning off the Super Spillover function? 

Seems to be pretty good, BUT I'd wish that there would be an option to change the font and UI size (in all Grey Dog Software games), because for someone like me, who has vision disorders, it is just too small to read without problems or having to try too hard to read it, so I get dizzy or get a headache after half an hour. Just increasing the zoom in Windows isn't helping, because then the game isn't displayed completely and you miss some parts of the game window.
Would it possible to change something like that? I'd buy that game then without thinking about it. I wouldn't mind if I'd have to scroll a bit more, as long as I'd be able to play it without problems.

• Like 1

Ok I’ve dished out some positivity time to give out about some issues I have;

The worker screen;

I don’t think I’m alone in this one, I dislike that it lands on the Company Status Screen rather than the Skills screen, it's actually not really an issue when doing a review of my roster which is something I like to do periodically to keep an eye on how people are progressing. Its that odd worker that catches my eye because of interesting render or performance on a show, I feel like the vast majority of the time that's the screen I’m most interested in and it being that extra click is frustrating. The ability to reorder the tabs would work just fine, however what I would love to see would be the ability to essentially make a Custom tab sort of akin to the bottom bar where you can reorder what buttons appear where (oddly enough I never actually use this feature). I appreciate this works because all those buttons are the same size and building a custom screen with Skills, Popularity etc couldn’t work in the same way because these items take up very different amounts of space, perhaps if things were further broken down e.g Primary Skills, Population in a specific area etc it could be possible but I’m speaking on things I don’t truly understand here so I’ll not go in too hard I just always think more options is better.

Minor one here but the contract expiry/info not appearing on the Company Status screen bugs me.

In between;

Another minor one here but the order of the popularity in different areas changing from the worker screen to the booking screen is another one that just straight up bothers/baffles me

The booking screen;

Another bigger one here but feels much more doable in my very uneducated opinion. A “Add Quick Angle” button right next to the Add Angle just feels like it makes a tonne of sense to me. Furthermore I would love to see the addition of Auto Name and Book Segment to the Quick Angle screen just feels like these would amount to a lot of clicks saved whilst still offering all the complexity of the original Add Angle where it’s wanted.

Final minor one but I dislike the separate tabs for Titles/Staff there is so little info on these screens I would far rather have the extra clutter than the extra clicks.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Poppel said:

Seems to be pretty good, BUT I'd wish that there would be an option to change the font and UI size (in all Grey Dog Software games), because for someone like me, who has vision disorders, it is just too small to read without problems or having to try too hard to read it, so I get dizzy or get a headache after half an hour. Just increasing the zoom in Windows isn't helping, because then the game isn't displayed completely and you miss some parts of the game window.
Would it possible to change something like that? I'd buy that game then without thinking about it. I wouldn't mind if I'd have to scroll a bit more, as long as I'd be able to play it without problems.

I don't think that's something that's ever going to be possible with this version of the game, your best bet is probably to have a play around with your display resolution while you play the beta and see if that can make things a bit easier for you.

I must say I am a huge TEW/EWR fan, been playing it since 04 (ish). I am slightly disappointed with the lack of 'huge selling' features such as inter promotional shows (eg forbidden door) and being able to pre-book multiple tv shows in advance. The new angles system does force me to stop being lazy and pick pre-made angles which I don't like personally. However I do like a lot of the other features announced and will be buying it. Perhaps the expectations were very high given the 4 year gap but I do understand.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'll echo people's complaints about the women. A lot of the good Joshi free agents got signed by 5 Star and what's left is barely enough to run a promotion. I'm not sure about other regions but it could definitely use a major injection of talent. Maybe Ryland could add workers in a database update or endorse the mod as semiofficial or something. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, St. Templar said:

If y'all want to go ahead and make this thing available for purchase, I'm down. I got paid today, and that $34.95 is burning a hole in my checking account.

I'm just sayin'.

St.T

Seconded, if you could allow us to play the beta til Saturday if we pre-order so I could continue my massive attempt to restart OLLIE I'd buy right now...as it is I'm at the 31st March :)

Angles did scare me the first time I looked at them, but now I've done my fair share, and they are starting to roll off the tongue.

David Sammartino is probably my breakthrough star of the beta experience.  He's pretty much got a car salesman gimmick waiting for him because he keeps causing damage to other rental cars.  I'm kind of annoyed if I don't get an update before the show. :p 

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, MisterSocko said:

Well maybe the game needs to be better at letting you try to build up a guy who's not well known at all, rather than inflating the popularity of guys who are objectively not well known.

Just a few years ago Gunther/Walter was objectively a nobody in the US, he's not doing too bad for himself these days. In game terms I don't think he should have instantly be given 65 in Popularity for his 1st Smackdwon match so that Drew Gulak would have agreed to do a job without complaining and so that fans wouldn't have hated the match because he wasn't already a popular guy beating another popular guy.

I get it, in TEW 2020, Okada would never get an absurd amount of money and instant main event status in a US promotion. But in real life it's not something that normally happens either, that was an anomaly rather than a common occurrence.

In real life why would the WWE even bother with something like NXT if instead of trying to build up new stars they could just throw money at Tetsuya Naito or Psycho Clown to get guys who would be immediately ready for at least the midcard on the main roster?

Isnt it a toggleable feature?

• Like 1