Biggest WWE Underachievers

lordprimeau25

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[QUOTE=Self;475336]I hear people bad-mouth the [I]'Shaman of Sexy' [/I]and I get into this kind of blind rage, and start swinging wildly. It's his abs... they're hypnotic.[/QUOTE] I drunkingly hit a dude in the back of the head with a paper beer cup (Yes I am Hardcore :cool:) because they shouted for Chuck Palumbo to kick John Morrisons ass at a houseshow. I feel it was justified :cool:

OK, I have been quiet for a while but I am going to comment on the discourse I haven't said anything about yet. 1. Khali- I agree with you about giants. They are a spectacle but to an extent. Big Show can work a match, so can Kane and Undertaker. I even think Mark Henry has developed some small bit of ring psychology. But to put it in TEW terms Khali is like an E or F in all of the basics. He cannot call a match, he has no ability to play to the crowd, and he cannot sell for his life. I watched the Backlash match between he and Big Show and Khali didn;t sell when Big Show heabbutted him and then he would headbut back and hold his head- pathetic in my book. Lastly, I am astonished that you guys can recall pops for him because all I ever hear on TV are boring chants and you can't wrestle chants. It really burns me up that this steals air time from dudes like Elijah Burke, Mr. Kennedy, Carlito, and the like (people that can actually work). 2. Morrison- You all have made good points. I think he is growing more comfortable with his character relative to Johnny Nitro and his mic skills are getting better, but last nigth wa sa good example that he still struggles in perosn. Mark my words, he will one day be a main event hell. There wa sa time last year when creative said his push in ECW was to turn him up to Randy Orton's level. He isn't even close yet, but I believe one day he will be there. 3. Mic work- HHH probably is the most comfortable. Kennedy and Cena are great by it does seem they are recahing at times. I feel that MVP and Edge are on the tier directly below H for the best talkers. However one guy you guys forgot to mention is Jericho. I think he can go toe to toe with anybody including H on the mic. He sound smooth, comfortable, un-rehearsed and very intelligent which I like in a character. I don't know if anyone has seen his indy work but given the chance, CM Punk is as good as that second tier of guys the just seem to keep him off of the mic for some reason. CM Punk's snake speech is one of the best I have ever seen. [url]http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=28948386[/url]

[QUOTE=Blasphemywebleed;475369]There isn't and won't be for a long time in WWE a heel that can deliver a promo with the intensity, charm, and charisma of Jake the Snake Roberts. Rock as a heel was funny as hell, but he was never intimidating like the Snake man was.[/QUOTE] Quoted for Truth. I liked Piper better, but Jake always had that intimidation. Could make anyone feel uncomfortable around him.

[QUOTE=lordprimeau25;475367]OK, I have been quiet for a while but I am going to comment on the discourse I haven't said anything about yet. 1. Khali- I agree with you about giants. They are a spectacle but to an extent. Big Show can work a match, so can Kane and Undertaker. I even think Mark Henry has developed some small bit of ring psychology. But to put it in TEW terms Khali is like an E or F in all of the basics. He cannot call a match, he has no ability to play to the crowd, and he cannot sell for his life. I watched the Backlash match between he and Big Show and Khali didn;t sell when Big Show heabbutted him and then he would headbut back and hold his head- pathetic in my book. Lastly, I am astonished that you guys can recall pops for him because all I ever hear on TV are boring chants and you can't wrestle chants. It really burns me up that this steals air time from dudes like Elijah Burke, Mr. Kennedy, Carlito, and the like (people that can actually work).[/QUOTE] Khali does NOT take up other people's time on camera. He's lucky if he gets in on two shows a month. Now, when it gets closer to a match/ppv, that he is in, he will be around much more, but normally.... Nope. So he's not hurting anyone else's camera time. Khali is "Menacing", way moreso then Kennedy, Carlito, Burke, etc. And saying he cannot work a crowd is bias, as he seems to get the reaction he wants, whenever he wants. Roar loudly, and they boo him loudly. Even the people yelling "You can't wrestle", which is never ALOT of people anyways. People that spend their money on purpose to heckle in the front row, do not constitute what the majority of the crowd is doing. He don't have to wrestle. He don't have to know how to fight even, and none of the people you mentioned look like they could believably give him a fight at all. Khali is great for the smaller guys (and that bassically includes everyone but Big Show) to take on. He's a challenge and a mountain to overcome. Defeating Khali cleanly is a sure bet that the person is Future Main Event material. Heck, Coming out of the match looking good and not winning, will almost do the same thing. Only lately has Carlito and Burke been out of the picture somewhat, for whatever reason they are off camera right now. I have no idea why, but it's not because they don't have time for them, I'll tell you that. Normally, they do get more screen time then Khali because of all the things you mentioned. They can talk, they can work, they are interesting, etc. Kennedy has quite a bit more screen time then Khali. Reading your post, you would think that Khali is on every show, and taking up valuable camera time. Khali shows up maybe twice a month, and has limited camera time. He might come out and hit someone, or back away, or whatever, but it's just an angle to set the stage for whatever competition he is going to have.

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;474408]He lacks charisma, bassically. In my opinion I find him hard to listen to. I think him and Shelton are in the same category, as they have both had many times, to showcase, but never really get anywhere. The thing is, they are both great at "Making" other's, so I cannot see them not being thought of as very important to management.[/QUOTE] I do not think morrison's issue is anything to do with Charisma, i think he oozes charisma, he walks around the ring like he owns the joint and has an aura about him that suggests he could be something very special if handled correctly. His mic skills however are far from the finished article. People like Morrison could do with being sent to a development fed and given free mic time, thats what used to happen in the old ECW, stars were allowed to talk and develop there own characters, ECW can be acredited with helping people like Austin and Foley pick up the skills that made the difference between them being 'just another flash in the pan champ', or another 'should have been a huge star', to being the icons they were. [QUOTE=Superkevd;474029]John Morrison, in my opinion hes the most talented guy on the ECW roster. The dirt sheet is the only reason to go on WWE.com, the guy has an awesome look, his own personality and the ring skills to boot. I also liked his work with the IC belt more so than when he was ECW champion but I think he defo should be in a main event slot anyday now, 2 of his more memorable singles feud opponents(Jeff Hardy& CM Punk) have went onto bigger and better things so why has he went seemingly backwards?[/QUOTE] I rate Morrison, but I think he got the main event push just a little soon. I do think he is a bit wasted in a tag team, but it seems to have been beneficial, working with the miz has helped Johnny's talking skills and Miz has got a bit of a rub from it, so its actually been quite a smart move, plus they are pretty over as a tag team now, maybe even as over as MnM were. [QUOTE=Self;475252] MVP and Kennedy are indeed better (although Kennedy is a bit [B]Road Dogg-ish[/B]) but Morrison... He entertains me. I can't really say anything more than that.[/QUOTE] My favourite new word! [QUOTE=Blasphemywebleed;475369]There isn't and won't be for a long time in WWE a heel that can deliver a promo with the intensity, charm, and charisma of Jake the Snake Roberts. Rock as a heel was funny as hell, but he was never intimidating like the Snake man was.[/QUOTE] I agree that jake the snake was an awesome stick man and one of the best heel personas wrestling has seen, Jake the snake was a nasty piece of work and I think that character was possibly not far from the actual guy. I know that the beyond the Matt documentary was highly criticised, but if you watch that it gives a cery insightful look into the real Jake Roberts. [QUOTE=djthefunkchris;475468]Khali does NOT take up other people's time on camera. He's lucky if he gets in on two shows a month. Now, when it gets closer to a match/ppv, that he is in, he will be around much more, but normally.... Nope. So he's not hurting anyone else's camera time. Khali is "Menacing", way moreso then Kennedy, Carlito, Burke, etc. And saying he cannot work a crowd is bias, as he seems to get the reaction he wants, whenever he wants. Roar loudly, and they boo him loudly. Even the people yelling "You can't wrestle", which is never ALOT of people anyways. People that spend their money on purpose to heckle in the front row, do not constitute what the majority of the crowd is doing. He don't have to wrestle. He don't have to know how to fight even, and none of the people you mentioned look like they could believably give him a fight at all. Khali is great for the smaller guys (and that bassically includes everyone but Big Show) to take on. He's a challenge and a mountain to overcome. Defeating Khali cleanly is a sure bet that the person is Future Main Event material. Heck, Coming out of the match looking good and not winning, will almost do the same thing. Only lately has Carlito and Burke been out of the picture somewhat, for whatever reason they are off camera right now. I have no idea why, but it's not because they don't have time for them, I'll tell you that. Normally, they do get more screen time then Khali because of all the things you mentioned. They can talk, they can work, they are interesting, etc. Kennedy has quite a bit more screen time then Khali. Reading your post, you would think that Khali is on every show, and taking up valuable camera time. Khali shows up maybe twice a month, and has limited camera time. He might come out and hit someone, or back away, or whatever, but it's just an angle to set the stage for whatever competition he is going to have.[/QUOTE] I have to say that the fact that Khali was receiving a huge push is one of the reasons i stopped watching the WWE so much. I have a lot of friends who are casual fans who just cannot stand watching him either and these are people who loved Andre the giant. If Khali learnt how to make a match flow, with his size he would be an invaluable commidity, unfortunatly he is just there as a glorified circus freak.

I honestly don't care for Khali either, but the friends I know that are diehard wrestling fans, talk about him like he's Goliath (from the bible) Reincarnated. I have over and over again said the same things everyone says about him here. I point it out while we watch. I get the same answer's everytime "Look at him though, I wouldn't get in the ring with that guy, he's HUGE!" They watch TNA and WWE, and like them both as well, which is different from here. Here it seems you have to "choose" which is ridiculous, since it's possible to watch all four shows and never have to "choose". They love Sting, Undertaker, and all the normal people everyone talks about here. The difference is I don't ever here, "He's not selling", and when I say it, I get weird looks, so... Anyways, something I didn't comment on before. Khali "No selling" isn't about his ability to do so, or desire not to. It's part of the character, Big Slow Giant. He's sold more then a few times, but "Kafabe" wise, you have to hit him several times to "hurt" (Kafabe again) him. My biggest problem has nothing to do with his skills. I can't stand the way he walks, looks like he can't bend his knee's. I have a problem with that, for some reason, it bugs me to no end.

He's gold every time he gets the microphone though. Pure gold. Khali isn't my favourite wrestler by any stretch of the imagination. He doesn't have anything I can relate to. However, I have no problem with him as a character. As a performer, there's room for improvment, but he's a worthy and necessary character on Smackdown. This is shockingly similar to my review of Randy Orton... I think D'Lo is being a bit underused. He came back and within a couple of weeks he's 'just another guy'. A shame. I loved when he had that chest-protector gimmick back in the day.

my friends don't really understand the concept of selling either, they just think he is boring to watch! I guess it isn't beyong the realms of possibility that he would be over in one country and not in another though. Lets be honest, Davey boy smith was more over in England then he was in america!

[QUOTE=panix04;475658]People like Morrison could do with being sent to a development fed and given free mic time, thats what used to happen in the old ECW, stars were allowed to talk and develop there own characters, ECW can be acredited with helping people like Austin and Foley pick up the skills that made the difference between them being 'just another flash in the pan champ', or another 'should have been a huge star', to being the icons they were.[/QUOTE] No doubt. Foley is and was every bit as good as guys like Flair on the mic but gets ignored for some reason, while guys like Austin modelled thier own skills on Cactus Jack promos from the 80's and thats probably a big thing lacking for me in the current WWE. And for the record Edge is a great talker but his canadian accent is really anoying, sorry.

[QUOTE=Self;475674]He's gold every time he gets the microphone though. Pure gold. Khali isn't my favourite wrestler by any stretch of the imagination. He doesn't have anything I can relate to. However, I have no problem with him as a character. As a performer, there's room for improvment, but he's a worthy and necessary character on Smackdown. This is shockingly similar to my review of Randy Orton... I think D'Lo is being a bit underused. He came back and within a couple of weeks he's 'just another guy'. A shame. I loved when he had that chest-protector gimmick back in the day.[/QUOTE] In all honesty, most the time you sound like the guys that come over to watch Smackdown with me every Friday night. We argue up and down, lol. What I say here is almost opposite what comes out my mouth when watching the show with them. For example: Batista and Cena winning the belts, I bitched about it for 15 minutes, as they hooted and Howlered about an unbeatable tag team in them. I've definately been influenced by TEW and the community here, when I talk about things like "What the heck are they going to do with Cody and Ted now? Cena and Batista don't need title's to draw a crowd, and low level title's don't help them in any way. "Who cares, they won!" is the kind of things I hear on this end. My son is my only partner when we get to argueing about that kind of stuff. They aren't thinking about how they have to lose the belts, to feud at Summer slam, etc... They are just thinking what a great tag team they should make. They are typical wrestling fans, that boo'd Cody and Ted the whole time, yelled at the ref everytime one ran in the ring, and shouted joyishly whenever Batista or Cena did. When talking about someone like Khali, alot of people seem to take it as "He must like him" or something. That is not the case at all. Soon as his music hits, I think to myself "Oh dang it..> They're going to screw the whole thing up" and it doesn't matter what "Thing" it is. Everyone else is like "They're going to get it now! RUN FOREST RUN!" Even if it's Kane or HHH, or someone that Khali is coming for. Just trying to put things into perspective on what I see, not what I "LIKE".

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;475694]In all honesty, most the time you sound like the guys that come over to watch Smackdown with me every Friday night. We argue up and down, lol. [/QUOTE] This doesn't surprise me, because I love those type of fans. Rambling story alert. In my spare time, I (somewhat unsuccessfully) write movies. After I come up with a scene, I try to put myself in the mindset of the typical audience, and try to see that scene through their eyes, without all of my added knowledge. It's a useful part of the process, as sometimes I realise things like "[I]Wow. This character comes off as too much of a jerk[/I]" and the project improves. I think the same way in wrestling. I'll use an example. When The Brian Kendrick came out with his new look on Smackdown, my first thought was probably the same as the rest of you guys. "[I]Oh look. Kendrick is doing his new gimmick. He's been doing house shows and dark matches with it for a while. I hope it goes well, because he's a good wrestler, trained by Shawn Michaels. Ooh. There's that Rycklon Stephens guy who has been in development. They're right. He is kinda big[/I]." However, after a few seconds of that, I switched into 'Mark-Mode' because I wanted to see the programme as WWE intended it, without all of that knowledge I have from Internet sites. I wanted to watch it as an audience would watch my movies. I saw a likeable guy, swaggering in a fancy jacket, for no real reason, with a big dude behind him. It didn't connect on that level. Foley tried to ret-con it, but it didn't click. As a smark I was thrilled, but as a mark I was confused. I love the whole backstage aspect of the business, because I'm a writer at heart. I'm fascinated by how drama is contructed. I don't go on these sites because it makes the shows more fun to watch (sometimes it does, most of the time, for me, it doesn't) I do it because I want to learn how WWE makes it's heroes, how it sets up their villains,[I] how they tell stories[/I]. There's nothing wrong at all with reading backstage reports, and discussing who should get pushed and when, but too often, I think the mark's point of view is forgotten on these sites. As someone who actively tries to watch things in that frame of mind, I will often take the mark's point of view, and sound like your friends.

I think thats a very well thought out post Self. But if the wrestlers are actively forcing you to dispend your disbelief then they are doing a damn good job. Like the promos foley gave in his feud with flair. He was so damn good it was hard to tell were the story ended and the real life stuff begun. (alright the knowledge of a genuine tension in the past helped a bit)

[QUOTE=panix04;475718]I think thats a very well thought out post Self. But if the wrestlers are actively forcing you to dispend your disbelief then they are doing a damn good job. Like the promos foley gave in his feud with flair. He was so damn good it was hard to tell were the story ended and the real life stuff begun. (alright the knowledge of a genuine tension in the past helped a bit)[/QUOTE] Absolutely. Sometimes things connect on both levels, and I'm just purely captivated. There's no effort, I'm just in the moment. Those are my favourite parts when watching wrestling. The most recent example I can think of is when Shawn told Jericho "You'll never be me". That was just... Awesome, because the parallels have always been there, and I never really noticed them fully until that moment. Involuntary marking out. I don't do it often, but when I do, it's the greatest thing in the world.

Just saw ECW. I didn't think John Morrison did too badly on the mic, but I do think the Dirt Sheet format didn't work too well. His introduction wasn't the best he's done, and... heels doing comedy? That's just asking for a mixed reaction. "[I]Look at my abs![/I]" got a nice pop though. He's a work in progress. If they keep giving him screen time, I think he's going to develop nicely. I almost hate to say he should ditch The Miz but... I'd like to see him without The Chick Magnet once in a while. Even if it's just being interviewed backstage, and cutting a promo on some dude, while talking about his abs, his love of the environment and how he doesn't hang out with losers in the Palace of Wisdom. Honestly, I think everyone should be cutting one-minute promos before their matches, with only the best ones getting on the show. It's practice, incentive and makes people think about their characters.

[QUOTE=Self;475841]Honestly, I think everyone should be cutting one-minute promos before their matches, with only the best ones getting on the show. It's practice, incentive and makes people think about their characters.[/QUOTE] Yeah, but it won't happen, because of the writers the WWE employs. They simply don't want to put that much effort in. There's a video with Steve Corino talking about how he auditioned to be a writer for the new ECW, and he went into the meeting and wrote out how he thought the show should go down. And the woman in charge went through it, and said to him "what's this?" And Corino responded "it's a show line up." She went on to ask about his inclusion of CM Punks promo, which he followed with "promote ppv - 2 1/2 minutes" ... and she got upset, because it didn't say what Punk was supposed to say. I think it's what also takes away the ability for a lot of those "wow, he said that?" moments on the `E nowadays. It's scripted. Like line by line. Jericho has those moments on the mic because he writes his own promos. I believe Michaels does as well, I assume HHH does, and maybe 1 or 2 more. But Cena has his lines laid out, Batista has his lines placed for him. There are actors, who go to Julliard, who can't put forth the emotion necessary in some scenes to be seen as believable, and asking people who aren't really trained to do that, to recite things they don't feel, can make it seem forced. As for Khali, I agree with the spectacle of him. Self said it best, but the idea of this giant of a man, who can sway a crowd just by raising his arms, and grunting out a low chord scream, is impressive. His arsenal is basic, and yet he still makes it look brutal. Khali is a stagnant character. He's there, he's giant, he yells, he squashes a head, he goes home. Rinse, repeat. Comparing him to someone who has been built up to evolve over time isn't a fair comparison. Because, if nothing else, the spectacle never gets stale. As much as people may roll their eyes when a 7+ foot giant lumbers down the aisle, watching him match up against someone who is 2 feet shorter, and 200 pounds lighter, and hoping that underdog can pull the upset is dramatic.

[QUOTE=Prophet;475881] As for Khali, I agree with the spectacle of him. Self said it best, but the idea of this giant of a man, who can sway a crowd just by raising his arms, and grunting out a low chord scream, is impressive. His arsenal is basic, and yet he still makes it look brutal. Khali is a stagnant character. He's there, he's giant, he yells, he squashes a head, he goes home. Rinse, repeat. Comparing him to someone who has been built up to evolve over time isn't a fair comparison. Because, if nothing else, the spectacle never gets stale. As much as people may roll their eyes when a 7+ foot giant lumbers down the aisle, watching him match up against someone who is 2 feet shorter, and 200 pounds lighter, and hoping that underdog can pull the upset is dramatic.[/QUOTE] Agreed, in that Khali does the job he is paid to do, look dominant, and makes people that do beat him look very strong.

I thought of another one whom I consider to be an underachiever. Actually, it was flipping around and catching a glimpse of a picture of him on TNA. But Bill DeMott definitely had more to offer than being jobbed out through the hardcore division. And one of the prettiest moonsalts to this day. I mean, I don't think Bill DeMott would be challenging "H" for the belt, but he should've been higher on the card than he was.

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;473344]Victoria: What in the world are they doing with her? She is golden, at any point can get any reaction from the crowd she wants... Cheers or Boo's. Not bad on the mic either, the few times they let her speak. Pluss, one of the hottest, if not THEE Hottest Diva on the roster.[/QUOTE] I don't think you can call someone an underachiever when they're not used at all. That's like saying LeBron and 'Melo were underachievers in the 2004 Olympics (uhh, gotta actually get some playing time before you can underachieve). I love Victoria to death and while I wouldn't call her the hottest diva on the roster (3 way tie: Beth, Nattie, and Mickie "Ms New Booty" James with Katie Lea as a dark horse), she's definitely no Melina Perez. [QUOTE=Nevermore;473364]No doubt! If you've seen his FWA stuff, you'll know that there are few people with as much raw talent. Last I saw of him, he wasn't yet a finished article in terms of "selling" a match but, should he become as well-rounded as his young age could allow, my word, he'll be one hell of a prospect! Quote The Raven Nevermore[/QUOTE] Serious, call up SOS and Drew and make the three of them a stable. They've got such chemistry with each other, it would be seriously entertaining..... ....in ROH. [QUOTE=Superkevd;474029]John Morrison, in my opinion hes the most talented guy on the ECW roster.[/QUOTE] :eek: You can't be serious. John Morrison more talented than Elijah Burke and Matt Sydal? [QUOTE=djthefunkchris;475468]He don't have to wrestle. He don't have to know how to fight even, and none of the people you mentioned look like they could believably give him a fight at all. Khali is great for the smaller guys (and that bassically includes everyone but Big Show) to take on. He's a challenge and a mountain to overcome. Defeating Khali cleanly is a sure bet that the person is Future Main Event material. Heck, Coming out of the match looking good and not winning, will almost do the same thing.[/QUOTE] I know we have vastly different views. I don't buy Khali as a menace at all, mainly because you can't suspend my disbelief. As a littler guy, I have vivid memories of chopping down trees myself so size means nothing to me. Size is no indicator of fighting ability. So I don't ever buy the "look how much bigger Khali is" schtick. For that reason, he's useless as far as I'm concerned. If his only selling point is his physical stature and not what he can do in the ring or on the mic, he's a waste of flesh and any time he spends on my TV screen is a good time to go to the bathroom or make a sandwich or do my taxes or get a root canal (all of which are vastly more entertaining than Khali). [QUOTE=panix04;475658]I do not think morrison's issue is anything to do with Charisma, i think he oozes charisma, he walks around the ring like he owns the joint and has an aura about him that suggests he could be something very special if handled correctly.[/QUOTE] ouch panix. Morrison oozes charisma? Lemme point something out to you. Rock oozes charisma. To a certain extent, Cena oozes charisma. Kennedy often oozes charisma. Elijah Burke doesn't even have to open his mouth to be charismatic. Would you really put John Morrison in the same category as those workers? His character isn't even developed yet! Who is he and why should anyone care? A character can make a worker. See The Rock vs Rocky Maivia vs Flex Kavana. See 'The Connecticut Blueblood' vs 'The Game'. See The Godfather vs Kama Mustafa. vs Papa Shango. [QUOTE=Prophet;476045]I thought of another one whom I consider to be an underachiever. Actually, it was flipping around and catching a glimpse of a picture of him on TNA. But Bill DeMott definitely had more to offer than being jobbed out through the hardcore division. And one of the prettiest moonsalts to this day. I mean, I don't think Bill DeMott would be challenging "H" for the belt, but he should've been higher on the card than he was.[/QUOTE] I'll agree with this. Bill DeMott is a worker who could've rivaled Corino had he spent some time in Japan. But he's a worker who can work better in the ring than outside of it so he was destined to fail in WWE. My pick is Randy Orton. He's been handed opportunities most people on the roster can only dream of and to date, he's done NOTHING. Put Cena in a feud with Burchill and people would pay to see it (i.e. it would draw). Put Orton in a feud with Kofi Kingston and no one would care (i.e. it would not draw). If he left the business right now, he wouldn't go down in history being named alongside people like Ventura or Piper or Flair. People would forget about him inside of 3 years. He's not distinctive, he's done nothing to truly distinguish himself or establish a legacy but he's held the world title what, twice? He's gone over SO many people who WILL go down in history as some of the best and yet he's done nothing to even warrant a mention amongst these people. How's the old saying go? To whom much is given, much is required? Much has been given but he hasn't done squat.

Archived