The Must Read List 2009

1) BigPapa42- SWF Generation Supreme (Just closed- but only just, so I'll put this as a Open)

2) Marcel Fromage: Subscribe to the ROF Newsletter (Closed)

3) Monkeypox: Mark Cuban Does DAVE (Closed)

4) No Neck: Secrets of the Ring (Volumes 1-3) (I'll throw these all together and say they are all part of an anthology, Vol 1 never really got going, Vol 2 is closing and Vol 3 has just got started but all part of one great masterwork)

5) Brifidelity: New York City Wrestling: Tradition Begins Anew (Closed)

6) Dragonmack: NYCW Old School Revisited (Closed)

7) Trekkiemonsta: World Level Wrestling Because Dancing is Cool Closed)

8) Marcel Fromage- XWA American Wrestling Just Got Serious (Open)

9) Phantom Stranger- TCW A Quiet Retirement (Open)

10) Zeel 1- TCW: Tota;l Control (Open)

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1, WWF: From Montreal to Attitude (Keefmoon) (Closed)

An epic journey through the attitude era which reads like Vince McMahons wet dream. Keef's diary is a lovesong to a period fondly remembered and equally misunderstood. It is a testament to the writer that his WWF feels both eerily familiar yet excitingly fresh.

2, Death of WCW (Tristram) (Closed)

It takes a genius to book a real life success like the WWF and make it as good if not better. It takes something else to take failure like WCW and make it flourish. Somebody with imagination, clearly. Somebody with dedication and knowledge of their characters and their audience. A glutton for punishment. Somebody with the courage of conviction to push new talent without burying the old guard. In short, somebody like Tristram.

3, A Prequel to Death of WCW (Tristram) (Open)

Everything that was great about the orginal finds its way into the prequel with a few extra's thrown in for good measure. Consistenly well written with its own internal logic, Prequel is a far away yardstick by which all current real life diaries should be judged.

4, ECW Worldwide (Nevermore) (Open)

It is a rubber stamp to the quality of Nevermores output that the infrequent updates only leave us salivating more, like a king throwing scraps of excellence to his loyal servants. Nevermore brings his best to the table for every meal where every morsel is greedily consumed.

5, TNA's New Beginnings (Nobby_McDonald) (Open)

A true labour of love that has weathered many storms in the noble quest for greatness. This diary captures the feeling of what TNA endevours to be, the little engine that could, and with a lot of huffing and puffing Nobby is beginning to see his plans come to fruition. There have been ups and downs, along with a Sting so rusty I'm sure he's made out of Iron, but there in lies the thrill of the read.

6, MAW: 10 simple rules.(James Casey) (Open)

As somebody who has never really took the time to understand the intricacies of the game world I never really pay too much attention to CornelleVerse diaries. Except, of course, for this one. The highest possible praise is reserved for James as he has made me care about a world I had little interest in. Based on a simple premise which made every board member ask themselves why they hadn't thought of it first, 10 simple rules will always be my non real-world diary.

7,8, Destined to fail 2007/2008 (Phantom Stranger/panix04) (Closed/closed)

These diary reinforces what TEW is all about. Fun. Not one person who read them didn't enjoy every step of the journey. An original idea executed to perfection.

9,Subscribe to the ROF Newsletter (Marcel Fromage) (Closed)

A bold design choice and always compelling, Newsletter is a great read from start to finish.

10, TNA Wrestling: Cross The Line (Destiny) (Open)

Its hard to pinpoint exactly what makes this a great diary. Perhaps it's the in depth back story, the cavalcade of exciting and fresh new talent that constantly makes its way onto the show, (including, but not exclusive to, Charlie Sheen, Jennifer Aniston and Jennifer Lopez,) or the bold and visionary choice to have roughly 25 matches on every card. The booking is consistent in that it is always inconsistent. If you ever stay awake at night dreaming of a Homicide© vs Kip vs Sewell vs Rhino vs Shelley vs Sabin X division title match then this is the diary for you! Do you long for epic storylines in which Chavo Guerrero asks Bob Holly for help finding fame, Cody Rhodes berates the hardcore style of Charlie Sheen, or even the epic appearance of Seth Green who informed us all that Sojo Bolt and Taylor Wild are good friends? Then jump right in! Through sheer will and determination, Destiny has crafted a modern marvel, an Alice in Wonderland for our generation. Often derrided but never bettered, Cross The Line shall be remembered for a long time to come

1, WWF: From Montreal to Attitude (Keefmoon) (Closed)

An epic journey through the attitude era which reads like Vince McMahons wet dream. Keef's diary is a lovesong to a period fondly remembered and equally misunderstood. It is a testament to the writer that his WWF feels both eerily familiar yet excitingly fresh.

2, Death of WCW (Tristram) (Closed)

It takes a genius to book a real life success like the WWF and make it as good if not better. It takes something else to take failure like WCW and make it flourish. Somebody with imagination, clearly. Somebody with dedication and knowledge of their characters and their audience. A glutton for punishment. Somebody with the courage of conviction to push new talent without burying the old guard. In short, somebody like Tristram.

3, A Prequel to Death of WCW (Tristram) (Open)

Everything that was great about the orginal finds its way into the prequel with a few extra's thrown in for good measure. Consistenly well written with its own internal logic, Prequel is a far away yardstick by which all current real life diaries should be judged.

4, ECW Worldwide (Nevermore) (Open)

It is a rubber stamp to the quality of Nevermores output that the infrequent updates only leave us salivating more, like a king throwing scraps of excellence to his loyal servants. Nevermore brings his best to the table for every meal where every morsel is greedily consumed.

5, TNA's New Beginnings (Nobby_McDonald) (Open)

A true labour of love that has weathered many storms in the noble quest for greatness. This diary captures the feeling of what TNA endevours to be, the little engine that could, and with a lot of huffing and puffing Nobby is beginning to see his plans come to fruition. There have been ups and downs, along with a Sting so rusty I'm sure he's made out of Iron, but there in lies the thrill of the read.

6, MAW: 10 simple rules.(James Casey) (Open)

As somebody who has never really took the time to understand the intricacies of the game world I never really pay too much attention to CornelleVerse diaries. Except, of course, for this one. The highest possible praise is reserved for James as he has made me care about a world I had little interest in. Based on a simple premise which made every board member ask themselves why they hadn't thought of it first, 10 simple rules will always be my non real-world diary.

7,8, Destined to fail 2007/2008 (Phantom Stranger/panix04) (Closed/closed)

These diary reinforces what TEW is all about. Fun. Not one person who read them didn't enjoy every step of the journey. An original idea executed to perfection.

9,Subscribe to the ROF Newsletter (Marcel Fromage) (Closed)

A bold design choice and always compelling, Newsletter is a great read from start to finish.

10, TNA Wrestling: Cross The Line (Destiny) (Open)

Its hard to pinpoint exactly what makes this a great diary. Perhaps it's the in depth back story, the cavalcade of exciting and fresh new talent that constantly makes its way onto the show, (including, but not exclusive to, Charlie Sheen, Jennifer Aniston and Jennifer Lopez,) or the bold and visionary choice to have roughly 25 matches on every card. The booking is consistent in that it is always inconsistent. If you ever stay awake at night dreaming of a Homicide© vs Kip vs Sewell vs Rhino vs Shelley vs Sabin X division title match then this is the diary for you! Do you long for epic storylines in which Chavo Guerrero asks Bob Holly for help finding fame, Cody Rhodes berates the hardcore style of Charlie Sheen, or even the epic appearance of Seth Green who informed us all that Sojo Bolt and Taylor Wild are good friends? Then jump right in! Through sheer will and determination, Destiny has crafted a modern marvel, an Alice in Wonderland for our generation. Often derrided but never bettered, Cross The Line shall be remembered for a long time to come

you had me all the way to #10 my friend

First off, a bit of a caveat. I've purposefully only picked diaries that I believe have been around for a while. There's no objective number, all purely subjective, and indeed I am quite certain that a few of the newer diaries I am subscribed to and supporting will eventually make it onto this list.

My list:

1 keefmoon's From Montreal to Attitude by keefmoon (closed) - I said it time and time again, when the guy put predictions up you couldn't really make a decision, not because the booking was illogical and blokes were springing up from nowhere, but because every character had a role and a charm and a use, and it meant that at any given time he could promote any of his characters for a push and it would seem logical. He kept the old adage of leaving more questions than answers stirring along very well. Utter brilliance.

2 ECW Worldwide by nevermore (open) - I'm not an ECW fan at all, I'm not in the Ric Flair category of thinking its stunt puppetry, it just wasn't my thing. However, the way nevermore fervently tells it and then pulls out these massive surprises, its one thing to do a surprise its completely another thing to fool everyone and when the hook-bait-reveal moment comes to reveal something that is so important yet so obviously missed that you'd think you were reading some good old Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. From memory the best one was a Paul Burchill turn on Raven, it was just... epic. Well constructed in every way. And he has flexibility to his writing as well, if you want to laugh as hard as anything you go for his MoSC diary.

3 WWE The next generation by iMac (closed) - if you ask me, this guy is an unsung hero in writing/booking. Kind of has a bit of the keef element in that the roster has so many different ways of being portrayed, yet he tends to choose the best one. A long standing 'empire' I call it.

4 BigPapa42 SWF Generation Supreme (closed) - I struggle to get into the C-Verse, but BigPapa42 brought it to life for me. He's very different than my own writing in that he doesn't need to give you whole groups of text to convey humour or desire, he just spells it out in a splendid review. Was a great tale, mate, congratulations.

5 USPW Long Hard Road from Cult by angeldelayette (open) - the dude has found his mofo. angel's been around a while, but I really think right now bro you have found your element. It just suits you perfectly, you bring your humour out and a bit of old fashioned nostalgia. I really enjoy it.

6 WWE After the Bash by sebsy (closed) - sebsy's original. The current one is awesome but fresh and new, I just liked his use of the midcard in particular for some reason, he gave purpose to them. It's something I am trying to evolve and learn from myself.

7 USPW Where Ages 65 and Older Get in for Free (open) by J Silver - I had to put him in here because the disclaimer says it all, its for fun. And fun should be funny. And it is.

8 NWA Battlelines Have Been Drawn, what if the NWA struck first by outlaw321 (closed) - I find it very difficult to get into any of the NWA diaries, just not.. me really. But this one is completely different in firstly that it is DOTT era, and secondly the backstory is very simplistic and then extremely well executed. I wouldn't say this has all the fancy bells and whistles, but it has great booking logic and I find myself easily feeling a part of that era and hanging on for the ride, hoping that the outcome compared to reality is very different. outlaw321 is a very fine booker indeed.

9 WWE Frank Sinatra Style by flamebrain (closed) - another unsung hero, I find it odd that I have so many WWE diaries when I'm definitely not a WWE mark but the likes of flamebrain convey so many different stories to reality that it leaves you thinking... I think that's the way IT SHOULD have gone.

10 Clash of the Titans Sports by panix04, keefmoon and nevermore - sadly it didn't quite last as long as it did, but freakin mother of all mercy what a set of bookers (closed).

I find it extremely fitting that two bookers find their way onto my list twice, keefmoon and nevermore. IMHO, and this has never really altered since they started or I first read, they are the judging blocks, you base all else against them because they are the best. And utterly good blokes, too. Even if they are from the UK...

5. Panix/Phantom Stranger's Destined To Fail (Both of them.) (Closed)

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27546

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34887

Crazy fun for all involved.

6. Wallbanger's Generations (Closed)

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21424

JeriLynn Stone is the best Avatar character I have ever read, and the offscreen story is outstanding.

I had a serious case of nostalgia right there. Both (or all three) are fantastic!

Guest cmdrsam

Man this is like picking which child is your favorite. Fine here goes.

1. Death of WCW by Tristram

2. NWA Battlelines have been Drawn by Outlaw

3. SWF Generation Supreme by Bigpapa.

4. Marc Cuban does Dave by Monkeypox

5. Maw 10 Simple Rules by James Casey

6. Prequil to Death of WCW by Tristam

7. ECW Worldwide by Nevermore

8. USPW Long Hard Road from Cult by Angeldelayette

9. From Montreal to Attitude by Keefmoon

10. TCW a Quite Retirement by Phantom Stranger

5 USPW Long Hard Road from Cult by angeldelayette (open) - the dude has found his mofo. angel's been around a while, but I really think right now bro you have found your element. It just suits you perfectly, you bring your humour out and a bit of old fashioned nostalgia. I really enjoy it.

8. USPW Long Hard Road from Cult by Angeldelayette

Wow! Thanks! I really do appreciate the mentions here and I am glad that so many people have enjoyed this USPW diary. I am really enjoying writing it and I'm itching to delve into the pay-per-view card that I have coming up.

To be honest, I'm really really new to the diary section so a lot of my picks are newer diaries than the old ones. I know that there are some really great ones out there that I have yet to read but this is what I've been able to put together thus far.

I'll admit, I'm more of a lurker than anything else, so, I may not post much in these diaries but these are the ones I swing by and read on average. If I left anyone out it's not because I don't like your diary, but rather, that I haven't found much time to swing into anything new as of late.

Also, Thank you to everyone whose put this diary in their top listing. You have no idea how cool it was to see such a thing happen. :)

1) BigPapa42- "SWF Generation Supreme" (Half-Open/Half-Closed)

I've only been on these boards for a few years now, and in the diary forum for only around a year, so to me, BigPapa's SWF diary is the best I've ever seen. Great detail, character development, storylines in general. The man knows how to create a world of his own in the "World of Supremacy".

2) Monkeypox - Mark Cuban Does DAVE (Closed)

While I'm new to the diary forum, I've read over Monkeypox's DaVE diary in the last few months as I've heard how amazing it was. It certainly was a great piece of work and really deserves to be looked at by anyone who is thinking of putting together a diary.

3) Nevermore - ECW Worldwide (open)

I'm an ECW mark through and through. I'm not going to lie. I miss it every single day. haha. With that being said, Nevermore gives me the ability to pretend like the company is still thriving as I remember it. Great piece of work.

4) No Neck - Secrets of the Ring - SWF (open)

I'm a big an of SWF diaries and NoNeck's version is a lot of fun to read. Really, with his new diary, you could say that NoNeck, himself, is just a great writer who deserves a look in whatever he's writing at the time.

5) James Casey - MAW (open)

What is he up to now, 2,000 posts? haha. wow. I can't even imagine the work that's gone into that. That being said, I love what he's done with MAW from the very first post on. I'm more of a lurker in this diary, as most of them, however, I really enjoy what he's been able to accomplish.

6) J-Silver - USPW Where Ages 65 and Older Get in for Free (open)

Do we really have to say why J Silver is a great writer? wow. I love, love, love this diary and frequently lurk on by to give it a read. To me, this is how USPW should, and would, be booked.

7) Marcel Fromage - XWA American Wrestling Just Got Serious (Open)

A pure wrestling approach with an awesome, and unique, way of presenting it. I'm often swinging by to read what he's put together. Plus, he's been going for quite some time now as he first started up while I was still doing my X-WA diary.

1. MAW: 10 Simple Rules, James Casey. Open

2. USPW: Where Ages 65 And Older Get In For Free, J Silver. Semi-Closed

3. SWF: Secrets Of The Ring Volume 2, Noneck. Closing

4. PSW: The Evolution Of Greed, Eisen-Verse. Open

5. EWA: Why People Almost Care About Wrestling In Europe But Hate Themselves For It, Comradebot. Open (but not enough lolz.)

6. PSW: DAVE's Not Here, McShamrock. Closed

7. WEXXV: The Devil's Rejects, Finisher. Closed

8. TCW: A Quite Retirement, Phantom Stranger. Open

9. The David Mack Chronicles: The CGC Era!, Dragonmack. Closed

10. USPW: Long Hard Road From Cult, Angeldelayette. Open

Dam hard to chose and I sure left out some doozies but I went for all 2008 except Silver. Angel has finally found his groove with this current USPW version and isn't slacking of and doing even better then his failed ventures before that so be sure to check it out. As far as the closed go some aren't completely closed but are definitely winding down or to an end and the author has indicated such.

Edit: Changed the layout as per Mistakens instructions, now you other lazy bastards give him the links! JK.

If you makes you feel better, Hyde, I JUST posted a new episode. And heck, I'm a bit proud of this one.

Thanks to you and Nedew for giving my lowly diary a mention. I know I don't have the time to ever turn it into one of THE diaries on the board, but it's good to know that even now a few folks bring it up as a "must read".

I'm motivated, but life isn't kind to my time to spend writing up shows and drawing out storylines.

But as god as my witness, EWA will NOT die. At least not before the next TEW! And the March PPV? Oh, how I long to get to it...

Caveat: Yes, I'm biased for c-verse diaries. Nothing personal, but no real world diaries, even those that are well-booked and/or well-written and/or well-presented, have ever held my attention.

1. Wallbanger's Generations (Wallbanger, Closed) - In terms of creative writing, this is as good as it gets. I never really got into the wrestling in 'Banger's diary, but I rather enjoyed following the user character storylines.

2. Subscribe to the ROF Newsletter (Marcel Fromage, closed) - Great, innovative use of graphics. Great booking. Made me care about characters that I had never even though about... in a promotion where storylines didn't matter.

3. NYCW: Old School Revisited (Dragonmack, closed) - More pure awesomeness. The very definition of quality and quantity.

4. Cverse Draft 2009: Frontier Combat Kingdom (Self, open) - While a number of 08 diaries have been good and engaging, self's work stands above the crowd.

5. USPW: Where Ages 65 and Older Get in For Free (J Silver, open) - Great characterization. Great use of humor. A very modern take on old school that works and has been working for some time now. Inspired my first diary.

6. Mark Cuban Does Dave (Monkeypox, closed) - Perhaps the best characterization in any diary on the boards. A little dark for my tastes, but clearly of high quality.

7. Hollyweird Grappling Company: Revenge of The Nerd (sebsplex, closed) - We have a lot of great writers here, but this, in my mind, is hands-down the best material to ever grace GDS. Short-lived? Yes. But fan-freaking-tastic? Yes. If it had lasted longer, it clearly would have been number 1 on my list.

Seriously.

Go read this.

Now.

Edit:

(I'd just quickly like to say to d_w_w: I see this more as a 'best of the wrestling diaries' kinda thing (even if that may not 'officially' be the case.) If this were a creative writing ranking, you'd be top everytime ;))

Thanks! I definitely appreciate the compliment.

I need to get back to writing soon >.<.

Open

1. USPW- Long Hard Road from Cult by Angeldelayette

2. SWF: Generation Supreme by BigPapa42

3.EWA: Why People Almost Care About Wrestling In Europe, But Hate Themselves For It by Comradebot

4: ECW Worldwide by Nevermore

5. MAW: 10 Simple Rules by James Casey

Closed

1. Mark Cuban Does Dave by Monkeypox

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19932

2. Antitrust- The End of a Monopoly by Jehovah

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19657

3. Burning Desire, Raising The Hammer by Tigerkinney

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21681

4. Subscribe to The ROF Newsletter by Marcel Fromage

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24760

5. MWA- This Means War! by Scapino

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20017

Never really understood the love for J. Silver's diary. Reading a lot of it at once, all the shows seem like the same show. Heel says something edgy to get cheap heat. Heel then cheats to beat face, face then whines and swears revenge. Rinse and Repeat. Anyway, the reasoning for the five closed diaries I chose. Mark Cuban Does DAVE excelled at character development and is probably the best written diary I have ever read here in terms of quality. Antitrust was, in my opinion, the most creative in terms of storylines and angles. Burning Desire is well known for its near perfect match write ups. The ROF diary was an example of someone going the extra mile to generate interest in the wrestlers with the snappy portraits, interviews, and just the general layout. MWA has probably the most detailed backstory and the company written about seemed to have its own trajectory... if that makes sense.

Never really understood the love for J. Silver's diary. Reading a lot of it at once, all the shows seem like the same show. Heel says something edgy to get cheap heat. Heel then cheats to beat face, face then whines and swears revenge. Rinse and Repeat

I think most people will agree its the general humor of the dynasty that sets it above most others. While the character development itself isnt quite the same level as Monkeypox, except for the psychotic Devine, its the backstage stuff and the overall zaniness that make it a great dynasty and a must read.

Wow, thank you to everyone has mentioned FMTA. It's been inactive for a while so that is pretty amazing to see some of the really great words towards it, thank you so much. I was actually working on a real world diary sporadically but your kind words have made me turn my short term attention to writing a bit more for FMTA. Thank you again.

As for mine;

ACTIVE

1) Nevermore; ECW Worldwide- The yardstick. Unbelievabley long running, incredible stories, well written, shocks that will make you jump out of your chair, feel good moments- this has everything. You just have to read it.

4) Tristram; Prequel to Death of WCW- Again, it's such a great read. The passion for the subject is obvious, and the characterisations and ability to fit in with the era in which it is written is fantastic.

6) J-Silver; USPW Where Ages 65 And Older Get in for Free- I've put it here as there is more room in still active diaries, I don't know if it counts though. This is so entertaining it should be read by everyone. It's funny, it's fun, it's entertaining, it's absolutely worth a read by both RW and C-Verse readers. I actually get jealous reading it that I haven't got that kind of sense of humour to put in to writing.

9) Nevermore; MOSC The Best of British Wrestling- I struggle to get in to diaries of smalelr companies for some reason but this one just begs to be read. It's fanastic, the characterisations, the banter between the commentators, the crowd chants, everything about this is so refreshing, funny and interesting it really is a must read.

10) Big Papa; Generation Supreme- not really much to add here from what everyone has already said about it, it's just a really fantastic read from start to finish.

INACTIVE

2) Tristram; Death of WCW?- This is the original which made me fall in love with Tristram's writing style, and along with Nevvy inspired me to try my own diary. It's a phenomenal read with characters you really get in to and there is a fantastic freshness about the stories and characters. It's brillaint, simple as.

3) Scapino1974; SWF This Means War- possibly the first diary I fell in love with here. It's just a great read from start to finish.

5) iMac; WWE Next Generation- a fantastic story. Every story was expertly booked and written and you really got in to the characters. If the WWE was booked last year like it is in this diary I'd still be watching it, simple as.

7) Flamebrain; Frank SInatra Style- this has become a bit forgotten about which is a real shame because it's a fantastic read. It was one of the first WWE diaries I got really in to and always made me want to do a WWE diary of my own. It wasn't always the most realistic, at least not how you'd expect, but Flamebrain always managed to give you a reason for why it could happen through great booking and writing. It was brilliant.

8) BoomKing; The Kid and the Business- the whole thing told from the point of view of the booker, with mistakes, bad allegiances, it was such an imperfect story that it was incredibly refreshing and a fantastic read. If it had lasted longer it would have been one of the very, very best of all time, like on Nevvy's level in my opinion. As it is, is still one of the best things ever written here.

This really is a difficult list because I've missed out a lot of my favourite diaries, but there are only so many slots. Needless to say though that there an awful lot of diaries that deserve to make this list.

Thanks for the mention Keef, means a hell of a lot coming from you. If all the must read list does is get people reading or re-reading your work then it has done its job. And let me be the first to say that I would love to see you continue your diary or start another. This place isn't the same without ya!

quick note for those ranking 1-5, please make sure to go back at some point and rank 1-10, so I don't have to try and guess what you meant.

when I compile this first place will be worth 10 points and tenth will be worth 1. Active & closed will be part of the same final list. would hate to see your closed diaries all end up at the bottom when that's not where you meant for them to go. :D

1) CGC: The David Mack Chronicles [Dragonmack, Closed]

This has been my favorite read while I've been lurking around the forums. His writeups are great as well as the reasoning behind his decisions and I think seeing the DeColts go at each other for the only time I can remember was great fun.

2) SWF: Generations Supreme [bigPapa - Open]

Probably the dynasty I've followed the closest as it happens. Biggest company in the game, doing all the things you'd expect a big company to do and doing it well.

3) WCW: A Prequel to the Death of WCW [tristham - Open]

Hands down my favorite real world take. I was always WCW before WWF and it's a time period I love, in wrestling and the real world which trist meshes together perfectly.

4) PPPW: Dangerous Dreams [Phantom Stranger - Closed]

The writeups are easy to read and Stranger showed the characters we know before they were the characters we know.

5) FCK: Cverse Draft 2009 [self - Open]

I've never commentated on Self's diary, and I can't say why. It's probably something we all admit we could do better. Everything about this dynasty is different though, from the graphics to the game world to the show write ups to Mark Wahlberg. Top notch.

6) EWA: Why People Almost Care About Wrestling In Europe, But Hate Themselves For It [Comradebot - Open]

Comradebot has convinced me this is what it's actually like in Europe. I'd be shocked if it wasn't constant tests of strength between friends in Serbia.

7) WEXXV: The Devil’s Rejects [FINisher - Closed]

FIN is a great storyteller, and his element is Japan Garbage Wrestling. This served as somewhat of an introduction to Japan for me, so I remember it well. And also, Larry Wood as Pisschrist will always be my favorite Wood alt-ego.

8) FCW: Puerto Rican Self-Preservation Society 2.0 [TigerKinney - Open]

I flipped flopped a dozen times between this and 10 Simple Rules for my last Open diary, but I choose Tiger's because I really enjoy the local feel that he puts into the work, making it really feel straight out of Puerto Rico. I think it's the most detailed match writeups on the board as well, which every once in awhile when I'm sick I love reading it all word for word for a few hours.

9) BSC: Babes of Sin City Get Awesome. John Awesome [crayon - Closed]

Ok, so it only had one show, but that's not what matters. John Awesome is what any of us would do with BSC if 1) we had the balls and 2) smelled like a bum. This is probably the most laugh out loud piece of humor I've ever read.

10) DAVE: Mark Cuban Does Dave [Monkeypox - Closed]

It's legendary, everyone knows it. What I enjoy the most reading it back is that whether you enjoyed the backstage stuff, in ring action, or complete fluff that was constructed just for diary purposes, something in here will keep you entertained. This diary makes DAVE live on as well, which is nice.

7) WEXXV: The Devil’s Rejects [FINisher - Closed]

FIN is a great storyteller, and his element is Japan Garbage Wrestling. This served as somewhat of an introduction to Japan for me, so I remember it well. And also, Larry Wood as Pisschrist will always be my favorite Wood alt-ego.

Wow, thanks man! Highly appreciated as I always seem to say.. Funny thing as I don't really think of myself nowhere near of a 'storyteller' as my storylines are just pure chaos with no planning ahead basicly, I rely on crazy matches and gimmicks most of the time. I have to admit that my diaries with WEXXV and BBW have been the two best thus far and those have been the ones that have even been mentioned in this thread, I'm really flattered that someone would even choose one of my diaries in the Top 10 list, it means a lot.

But darn it, I could still be running WEXXV had it not went to bankrupt back then. :p

I thought about that phrase before using it and that's the thing, it is chaos you wrote, but you wrote it well. It can easily get out of control and messy in that environment but things still made sense from Point A to Point B, they just had a few more Exploding Barbwire Electric Chairs along the way.

3. SWF: Generation Supreme (Bigpapa42, open) - Only one writer has been voted into the Hall Of Fame based on just one diary, but what a diary it was. The backstage struggles and on-screen flourishing of BP's take on SWF was a successful catalysis of a number of common diary elements into one unforgettable whole. From the return of McFly, to the Beautiful Reign, the brand-split, the Eisens, Eye of the Tiger, the emergence of Generation Supreme and Christian Faiht's head, this diary can be summed up in one word: Money.

2. SWF: Generation Supreme (BigPapa42)

1. BigPapa's SWF - Best capture of "being the booker" I've ever seen.

2. Bigpapa's SWF: Generation Supreme (Ongoing. (Sort of.))

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35327

The best C-Verse Dynasty I've ever read. Outstanding from end-to-end, made me fall in love with the C-Verse all over again, and inspired my own dynasty.

4) Generation Supreme (BigPapa) (Open on a Technicality)[/i]

1) BigPapa42- SWF Generation Supreme (Just closed- but only just, so I'll put this as a Open)

4 BigPapa42 SWF Generation Supreme (closed) - I struggle to get into the C-Verse, but BigPapa42 brought it to life for me. He's very different than my own writing in that he doesn't need to give you whole groups of text to convey humour or desire, he just spells it out in a splendid review. Was a great tale, mate, congratulations.

3. SWF Generation Supreme by Bigpapa.

1) BigPapa42- "SWF Generation Supreme" (Half-Open/Half-Closed)

I've only been on these boards for a few years now, and in the diary forum for only around a year, so to me, BigPapa's SWF diary is the best I've ever seen. Great detail, character development, storylines in general. The man knows how to create a world of his own in the "World of Supremacy".

Open

2. SWF: Generation Supreme by BigPapa42

5) Big Papa; Generation Supreme- not really much to add here from what everyone has already said about it, it's just a really fantastic read from start to finish.

2) SWF: Generations Supreme [bigPapa - Open]

Probably the dynasty I've followed the closest as it happens. Biggest company in the game, doing all the things you'd expect a big company to do and doing it well.

Debated whether or not to do this, as if kinda feels self-serving. But moreso, it feels wrong not to acknowledge the uh, acknowledgement that I've received. Its awesome to not just have Gen-S mentioned so many times, but with some very kind words as well. The fact that some of its comes from some of my favorite writers on here makes it just that much better. Thanks everyone.

1) [thread=19457]Welcome...to the Coastal Zone! - Infinitywpi[/thread] (closed)

This is not the diary that got me into reading diaries. That honor goes to a .400 studios diary by Infinity called Welcome to the real World. (that so totally deserves to be seen again.) No this is the diary the convinced me I could write a diary. not that mine would be as good as his, but that some time greatness was in the details. And I could control the details. My hats off to the whole series, but my vote to the 07 edition

2) [thread=15014]ECW: World Wide: Nevermore[/thread] (open)

This is the diary that most inspired my first real diary attempt. This is a diary that I started reading Friday afternoon and did nothing else until I had finished it 20+ hours latter. This is what wrestling is, engrossing, unadulterated soap opera at it's finest.

3) [thread=21524]USPW: Where Ages 65 and Older Get in For Free - J-Silver[/thread] (open)

The Funniest Piece of writing on these boards except for maybe Jonny_Awesome's BSC diary that lasted all of 1 show. that diary would be on my list but I simply did not have enough room. J draws you in with hilarity, then hooks you with a story that servers both as a back drop, and an excuse for many of the funniest as well as finest moments in the Cornelverse Cannon

4) [thread=34293]WWE: Aftermath -- One Year Later - Infinitywpi[/thread] (closed)

Short lived but worth a look, what would happen if E suddenly had no super stars? could the Under card really rise to the occasion of would it fall flat on it's face? This diary was an intriguing look at what a real world tragedy could look like.

5) [thread=26405]The New NWA - Dse81[/thread] (open)

This is the diary I read the most often. DSE is probably the most consistent poster ever. I like his version of the NWA, and watching him over come the repeated drama's of brock lesnar is worth the price of admission. (sounds like real life
:)
)

6) [thread=47363]MDC2: The Battle Rages On [Over 9000-verse] - D_W_W[/thread] (open)

one of the greatest pieces of creative writing anywhere on these boards. Marvel should hire this man to write their next cross over, it might be good for a change!

7) [thread=34251]EWA: Why No One Cares About Wrestling In Europe [/thread] (closed)

Never got into part 2, but the intro alone to part 1 is worth the read. come see how you end up a booker for the EWA!

8) [thread=55126]WCW 1999: We Three Kings - BoomKing[/thread] (open)

This is a classic WCW diary in the making. I know Tristam will appear on this list several times, but boom king also deserves massive props for his vision of WCW

9) [thread=29565]When Writers Strike: NBC wrestling - Mistaken[/thread] (closed)

This was an attempt to make good on the '07 writers strike. I really like where this diary went, and it is still my intention to return to this diary one day and at the very least finish out through the next PPV.

10) [thread=23973]Days in the Life - Confessions of a Triple 'A' Worker (Cornellverse) - NordVolf[/thread] (closed)

Why NordVolf you ask? this guy hung out down in the 07 forum when every one else had left for the green pastures of the 08 forum. This is one of the longest running and best written attempts at a cornelverse womens feed. It was between this and Shimmer diary that went 3 shows. I felt Nords track record had to win out!

Archived