The Must Read List 2009

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
really want this to be 100 strong, currently 61 diaries.

open to 39 suggestions to fill out the remaining slot, open or closed makes no difference. order will be first come first serve.

Of course any new top 10 list would still receive standard ranking and might reduce the number of openings.

OK, if you're looking for some diaries to round out the bottom of the list, I'll bite. I'll throw a couple of diaries out there that I have enjoyed, and don't remember seeing on anyone's list so far. I didn't seriously consider these for my top 10, but I think they're at least worth a look.

Babes of Sin City-Through the Looking Glass by Reaper_ofall. Fun little take on BSC. The backstage, "behind the scenes" stuff was as interesting, if not more interesting, than what happened in the ring. I also found it kind of cool that we saw everything through the eyes of the user character themselves; gave the show write-ups a different flavor that set it apart from most other diaries that I have read. This diary, which I believe is still ongoing, is/was Reaper_ofall's first attempt at a diary, which makes it even more impressive IMO.

USWF: A New Breed of Wrestling by Texasrangers13. A real-world diary with a created promotion, the USWF. I've enjoyed this diary's progress thus far, and I hope Texasrangers13 can find the time to start updating it regularly again.

WCW: Phoenix From The Ashes... by ya_its_me. This diary started with the premise that someone other than Vinnie Mac bought WCW in 2001. I liked yim's take on a resurrected WCW. I particularly liked the match write-ups, which gave you a great feel for what happened in the match without getting so long that they were a chore to read. This would unfortunately be considered Closed at the moment, but he did pop in about a month ago and say it wasn't dead, so maybe there's still life for it yet.

"Moolah McMahon" a WWF Story by Genadi. In this diary, Genadi did as good a job with a brand split as I've seen, as far as making the brands feel separate and distinctive. This diary was really looking promising, but unfortunately, it seems to be finished.

Oh man, I totally forgot about EWA (:p)

Add that to the bottom of the list. That should be #10 on every list. It's the c-verse version of a guilty pleasure flick :D

edit: How about d_w_w's superhero one with the over9000 verse, is that still on it?

It might help if you release what you have now so we know what is and isn't on it. So do 1-40 now and then do a second round for 41-100

Oh man, I totally forgot about EWA (:p)

Add that to the bottom of the list. That should be #10 on every list. It's the c-verse version of a guilty pleasure flick :D

edit: How about d_w_w's superhero one with the over9000 verse, is that still on it?

It might help if you release what you have now so we know what is and isn't on it. So do 1-40 now and then do a second round for 41-100

tonight will throw every one that is on up, in alphabetical order by author. as you could see that with out much trouble yourself.

still not sure what the presentation for this is going to look like, or how long it is going to take.

Well I can give you a few more to round out the list:

6. DOTT - MIDSOUTH (the Watts Way) by Olympia (Open): I love this diary because as others have said Olympia not only does a great write-up but also does little things like post links to the matches of that time. So not only is it a good learning experience but it is a fun read. And I dare anybody to not laugh when they see the line, "JYDummy".

7. D.o.t.t - Icw by Olback (Closed but never offically closed): Like Olympia said this was great while it lasted, and actually a very educational diary. I loved it because I had never heard of this ICW and through the various shows I learned about it.

8. TNA Wrestling: Cross The Line by Destiny (Closed): Was it a joke diary? Was it serious? I don't think we will ever know the answer to those questions, but what I do know was it was great! Considered the anti-Diary by many, I for one loved it due to the weird matches and the deadpan way Destiny responded to the readers of the diary. And it had Charlie Sheen as a wrestler in it! How great is that?

9. TNA's New Beginnings by Nobby_McDonald (Open): In my opinion this is a very underestimated diary. It is a great read and Nobby interacts with the readers of the diary, which in my opinion enhances the diary reading experience.

10. TNA - No Limitations "Goodbye Russo" by Togg (Open): This is another diary that is great! This diary is different then most on the boad, as Togg has actually set-up a website for this diary! Which to me is a very cool concept. Also, Togg is another writer who interacts with his reader's, in fact Togg seems to be making the diary even more interactive with some of the new things that he is going to add.

11. North of the Border Pro Wrestling. Journey to the top! by TakerNGN74 (Open): This is another underrated diary, I think because Taker just reports exactly what happened in the game. However, with a promotion like NOTBPW I can not really see any other way of writing for said promotion. I wish more people would give this diary a chance.

really want this to be 100 strong, currently 61 diaries.

open to 39 suggestions to fill out the remaining slot, open or closed makes no difference. order will be first come first serve.

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of a 'Must Read' list? I thought this was supposed to be a list of the Best of the Best. If anything, I'd expect you to want it cut down to the top 50, as opposed to asking for more suggestions to make up the numbers.

Seems a bit "Everyone gets a medal for participating" if you ask me.

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of a 'Must Read' list? I thought this was supposed to be a list of the Best of the Best. If anything, I'd expect you to want it cut down to the top 50, as opposed to asking for more suggestions to make up the numbers.

Given that we've now had nominated a diary that many consider to have been trolling, I kinda have to agree with Self. If we'd had, say, 89 of 100, I could see pushing for eleven more standouts, but we're talking about nearly doubling the list.

Top 50 will be more than enough in my opinion. Who in their right minds will check 60+ more diaries just because they are on the list? I'm pretty sure that the top10, top20 will be really accurate and should showcase the very best diaries that really deserve the 'must read' title. :)

Top 50 will be more than enough in my opinion. Who in their right minds will check 60+ more diaries just because they are on the list? I'm pretty sure that the top10, top20 will be really accurate and should showcase the very best diaries that really deserve the 'must read' title. :)

My first instinct on list was that it should be a Top 20, and therefore a real brawl and testament of quality to get in. I wanted to be on the fence, and I'm a 3-time DOTM winner! In reality, top 50 probably works better when you consider the categories involved. Open/Closed. Real World/C-Verse/Other. Detailed write-ups/brief overviews. Backstagey/kayfabe.

On another point, while a 1-50 list in order of popularity would be informative and fun for the writers, is it really helping the guy looking for something to read? Should the Real World and C-Verse stuff be separate? Should WWE & TNA? Should TCW & SWF? I have no idea what's being planned, or even what's the best idea, just bringing up while I'm hopped up on sugar.

Okay, with minutes to spare, I thought I should weigh in with my support for those great diaries that have kept me entertained over the last few years.

I've missed some great diaries off this list but I can't fit everything on that deserves it (special mentions to angeldelayette, Foolinc and JSilver). I've also only included any diary writer once, even though I could have put numerous entries on for some.

1. MWA: This Means War (Scapino1974 – closed)

Scapino's diaries are the stuff of legend. The MWA just edged the SWF, but both need to be read. And to think he came under scrutiny early on for including non-original-C-verse characters!

2. Puerto Rican Self Preservation Society 2.0 (Tigerkinney – open)

This one was hard to choose too. The great 2007 BHOTWG diary or the current FCW one? The current one got it because I wasn't really struggling to find closed diaries for consideration. But again, both are must reads.

3. Mark Cuban does DAVE (Monkeypox – closed)

Monkeypox was a legend, albeit relatively short-lived. Great characters and probably moved diaries into a new story-telling direction.

4. NYCW: Old School Revisited (Dragonmack – closed)

I love reading D-Mack's diaries because they don't beat about the bush, but make good booking sense in a concise manner. Plus, having such a prominent user character that doesn't get on people's nerves is quite an achievement!

5. New York City: Tradition Begins Anew (Brifidelity – closed)

One of the first C-verse diaries I ever read and it helped get me into TEW in the first place. Definitely deserves its place on this list.

6. C-verse Draft 2009: Frontier Combat Kingdom (Self – open)

Self really gives his all with his diary, constructing characters of great interest and packaging it in a very cool, graphical style.

7. PPPW: Dangerous Dreams (Phantom Stranger – closed)

Again, I had a choice with Stranger's diaries. I went for PPPW because it was the one C-verse 97 diary I've really got into long-term and it was a different approach to diary writing.

8. MAW: 10 Simple Rules (James Casey – open)

Quality and longevity. Simple as that.

9. PSW: The Evolution of Greed (Eisen-Verse – open)

A bit like Monkeypox before him, Eisen-Verse has thrown himself into this diary and the characters. Sad to see it coming to a close.

10. SWF: Generation Supreme (BigPapa42 – open)

This is a diary I've always struggled to keep up with, but have then always gone back to so I could catch up on it. Excellent writing over a long period.

Given that we've now had nominated a diary that many consider to have been trolling, I kinda have to agree with Self. If we'd had, say, 89 of 100, I could see pushing for eleven more standouts, but we're talking about nearly doubling the list.

Phantom if you are talking about Destiny's diary, it was already nominated before I nominated it so it would have made the list regardless of my vote. And I for one truly enjoyed Destiny's diary, yes one might have thought of it as trolling but if it truly was a trolling diary would it have not been closed down?

With that being said I agree with Self, if you look at the all-time list of diaries are there really enough to support 100? Probably not, I am not sure if there is enough to support fifty. However, the list is for the top 100 and mistaken did ask for more diaries so I complied with said request.

Hehe, I voted for Destiny first! Sorry bout that....I honestly would read whatever was posted in that though before a lot of other diaries. Whether it was trolling, a parody, or whatever, it was a guilty pleasure!

See this is how I felt about it as well, I really do not think of it as a trolling diary. I think Destiny put it up as a joke, the thing is we will never know unless Destiny comes out and says one way or the other.

Doesn't necessarily follow, no.

I agree, the diary was not out and out trolling but I can see why people are saying that it was.

I wouldn't object if the list was narrowed to the Top 50, but whatever mistaken wants to do is fine with me. He's the one who will be putting in the time to tally up all the votes and write up the results, so whatever format he wants to go with is cool.

On the Destiny TNA diary: I was a fan, I admit it. I certainly wouldn't put it in my top 10 or anything like that, but I did read and enjoy it. It was just so off-the-wall that it became perversely entertaining. I mean...he hired Charlie Sheen. Brilliant!

If the Must Read list was, a best diary of the Year, or YearS. I would have to agree.

But personally I am interested more in numbers 50-61. those gems that are worth reading, that I never would have found.

Those diaries that are far from perfect but that are worth the time. They are often short diaries ending long before they should have. but they have orginal intro's, Styles or match ups. Then broke ground in some way and can help some one else who might be able to say hey, he took that concept out there for 5 shows, I can build the next great diary out of that.

I am willing to say 75, and maybe that is a better place to round to but

2008 - 1033 threads

2007 - 1858 threads (includes old 05)

2005 - 0037 threads (the new 05)

total - 2928

assume 10% junk or non diary threads - 293

total - 2635

assume 50% of that was non starter or total crap

total - 1315

top 100 is like recognizing 7.6% of the diaries that really tried

top 75 is like recognizing 5.7% of the diaries that really tried

I am down with 5.7%. But as some one that wrote one or two of the quirky little diaries. I would love to have a place in 90-100. Why? you may fight for top 10. I fight just to be 100 on a list of 100. :o

Zeel1 "TCW"

Wildfire "NWA:Beyond the Glory"

Wildfire "National Wrestling Alliance: A Return to Glory"

Wallbanger "Generations"

Tristram "WCW: Prequel to the Death of WCW"

Tristram "Death of WCW"

Trekkiemonsta "World Level Wrestling Because Dancing is Cool"

tigerkinney "Puerto Rican Self Preservation Society 2.0 "

Tigerkinney "BHOTWG: Burning Desire, Raising the Hammer"

The Stalion "TNA The Unkown Future"

The Final Countdown "ROH: We Don't Imitate... We Innovate"

shipshirt "MAW: Back to Basics"

Ship Shirt "Championship Wrestling from Boston"

self "Cverse Draft 2009: Frontier Combat Kingdom"

Sebsy "WWE After the Bash "

Sebsplex "Hollyweird Grappling Company: Revenge of The Nerd"

scapino74 "SWF: This Means War/MWA: This Means War "

save us necro "ECW 2006:The Blunder that Changed Wrestling"

phantom Strangers "TCW: A Quiet Retirement"

Phantom Stranger "PPPW: Dangerous Dreams"

panix04 "Clash of the Titans Sports"

Panix/phantom stranger "Destined To Fail"

Outlaw "NWA Battlelines Have Been Drawn"

Olympia "DOTT MID-SOUTH (The Watts Way)"

OldSchool's "WWWF: Re-writing History: No Hulk/No Vince (D.O.T.T)"

Nordvolf "Days in the Life - Confessions of a Triple 'A' Worker (Cornellverse)"

noneck "Secrets Of The Ring Vol. 2: SWF"

Nobby_McDonald "TNA's New Beginnings"

Nevermore "MoSC: The Worst Of British Wrestling"

Nevermore "ECW world wide"

Monkeypox "Mark Cuban does DaVE "

Mistaken " When Writers Strike: NBC wrestling"

McShamrock "Pittsburgh Steel Wrestling: DaVE's not here "

Marcel Fromage "XWA American Wrestling Just Got Serious"

Marcel Fromage "Suscribe to the ROF Newsletter"

keefmoon "WWF: From Montreal To Attitude "

J-silver "USPW: Where Ages 65 and Older Get In For Free"

Jehovah "Antitrust- The End of a Monopoly"

James Casey "MAW: 10 Simple Rules"

Infinitywpi "WWE: Aftermath -- One Year Later"

Infinitywpi "CZCW: Tradition Dictates"

Infinitywpi " Welcome...to the Coastal Zone!"

iMac "WWE The next generation"

G-Prime "WWE Rebirth"

Flamebrane "WWE Frank Sinatra Style"

FINisher "WEXXV: The Devils Rejects"

Finisher "DAVE: Start A War"

Finisher "BBW: Start A War, Chapter II "

Eisenverse "PSW: The Evolution of Greed"

DSE81 "The NEW NWA"

Dragonmac "The David Mack Chronicles: The CGC Era!"

Dragonmac "NYCW Old School Revisited"

Destiny "TNA Wrestling: Cross The Line"

D_W_W " MDC2: The Battle Rages On [Over 9000-verse]"

Crayon "BSC: Babes of Sin City Get Awesome. John Awesome"

Comradebot "EWA: Why People Almost Care About Wrestling In Europe, But Hate Themselves For It "

Comradebot " EWA: Why No One Cares About Wrestling In Europe"

Brifidelity "New York City Wrestling: Tradition Begins Anew"

Boom King "The Kid and the Business"

Bigpapa42 "SWF: Generation Supreme "

Angeldelayette "USPW: Long Hard Road From Cult"

just wanted to say this seems really funny now that FIN has 4 diaries in the top 50 :p

after adding in the late breaking votes there are 67 diaries on the list

& 7 more recomendations. that is 74 total. your call do we go 75? or try to be inclusive with this one. and go for 100?

I know that I didn't do my top ten list like I should have. But, well, what can I say? I was lazy. lol. Here are a couple of diaries that would have been in my top ten list if I had made one, though:

the ismailite's D.O.T.T. WCW Black Saturday diary was honestly one of my first influences. He did a great job of capturing the old D.O.T.T. era.

theoutlaw321's Battle line's have been drawn.What if the NWA struck first.... This one is another influence for a diary of mine back in the day and another great D.O.T.T. diary.

Archived