The Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Stennick

NOBODY likes ANY Superman books at all? He's not my fav character, but Superman For All Seasons and All Star Superman are really good reads...his story in Kingdom Come was top notch too. And Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow? is up there as one of my top superhero comics ever. I dig the Superman stories that are in limited series because he seems human out of continuity. Much more vulnerable.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NOBODY likes ANY Superman books at all? He's not my fav character, but Superman For All Seasons and All Star Superman are really good reads...his story in Kingdom Come was top notch too. And Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow? is up there as one of my top superhero comics ever. I dig the Superman stories that are in limited series because he seems human out of continuity. Much more vulnerable.

Yeah most of those aren't what I would consider "Superman comics" (they didn't appear monthly in Action, Superman, etc., as regular stories). I haven't read All-Star Superman, but considering how much Supes bores me combined with how much Morrison annoys me I don't think I'm very interested.

Is it weird that I love Superheroes, but hate Comic Books. I never understood the appeal of the medium. It seems to rest uncomfortably between books and movies, neither allowing me full use of tmy imagination, nor doing it all for me, and they're always so short. Tried to get into them in uni (trying to fill the void I created when I abandoned wrestling) but got frustrated pretty quick. Not my cup of tea... which is probably a shame, because I get a rager every time I hear about a new superhero movie.

P.S. Captain Britain would kick Captain America's ass.

P.P.S. No he wouldn't.

Is it weird that I love Superheroes, but hate Comic Books. I never understood the appeal of the medium. It seems to rest uncomfortably between books and movies, neither allowing me full use of tmy imagination, nor doing it all for me, and they're always so short.

You don't understand the appeal of the medium? Am I reading that right? Not a taste issue, but a lack of understanding of the appeal? Are you being for real here? I don't even know where to begin with something like this if you're serious.

You don't understand the appeal of the medium? Am I reading that right? Not a taste issue, but a lack of understanding of the appeal? Are you being for real here? I don't even know where to begin with something like this if you're serious.

I'm fairly serious, but perhaps my wording's a bit off ('hate' being the poorest choice) I suppose deep down it's an issue of taste. I liken it to Crime Time. I understand there's an appeal there for a lot of people, but I'll be buggered if I know what it is. I don't get it... and that's fine. I don't begrudge the folks who do.

So anyways, I'm doing a thing with Crayon's 9000verse and making a "alternative" comics company, sort of a ECW of the the comics world, so it's filled with Badasses, Anti-Heros, Rogues...all that modern age type stuff. The roster (it's all Marvel, I just think that's the way to go with it) is lead by people such as Deadpool, Mystique, Wolverine, X-23, Daken, Juggernaut (totally doing the I'm the Juggernaut, B**** gimmick), Punisher and the new X-men.

Anyone want to suggest some good Marvel characters for it? Remember, think somewhat alternative, non-mainstream. It's light on villians, so a few of those would help.

I don't consider Kingdom Come to be a Superman comic, but I enjoyed it.

Yeah most of those aren't what I would consider "Superman comics" (they didn't appear monthly in Action, Superman, etc., as regular stories).

I don't think Kingdom Come is a Superman story either, but I loved portrayal of Superman....I didn't express myself right before. The others I think are Superman books, but I see how you think not. I don't buy anything issue for issue and just read trades so to me, those are the Superman stories I'm familiar with.

Is it weird that I love Superheroes, but hate Comic Books. I never understood the appeal of the medium. It seems to rest uncomfortably between books and movies, neither allowing me full use of tmy imagination, nor doing it all for me, and they're always so short. Tried to get into them in uni (trying to fill the void I created when I abandoned wrestling) but got frustrated pretty quick. Not my cup of tea... which is probably a shame, because I get a rager every time I hear about a new superhero movie[/size]

Have you tried reading comics that don't involve superheroes? Maybe your craving for superheroes is fulfilled by the movies and that's why the comics fall flat. Check out Box Office Poison by Alex Robinson, Blankets by Craig Thompson or Maus by Art Spiegelman if interested.

So anyways, I'm doing a thing with Crayon's 9000verse and making a "alternative" comics company, sort of a ECW of the the comics world, so it's filled with Badasses, Anti-Heros, Rogues...all that modern age type stuff. The roster (it's all Marvel, I just think that's the way to go with it) is lead by people such as Deadpool, Mystique, Wolverine, X-23, Daken, Juggernaut (totally doing the I'm the Juggernaut, B**** gimmick), Punisher and the new X-men.

Anyone want to suggest some good Marvel characters for it? Remember, think somewhat alternative, non-mainstream. It's light on villians, so a few of those would help.

Barracuda.

Kaine from Spiderman.

Ultimate Spider-Man was announced as the fourth dimension is Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions. I'm so excited for this game!

The spiderman games that don't follow the movies have been top notch (IMHO) I can't wait for this game to come out either and I believe the 4 different looks will be fun to play with.

The spiderman games that don't follow the movies have been top notch (IMHO) I can't wait for this game to come out either and I believe the 4 different looks will be fun to play with.

I dunno, I still think Spider-Man 2(based on the second movie) has been the best Spider-Man game produced.

I haven't tried Web of Shadows or Friend or Foe though. I've heard those games were pretty ok.

I think the movie-based Spider-Man 2 game for PS2/Xbox was awesome, and I don't like licensed games 95% of the time (for good reasons).

It was fun just aimlessly swinging around and had varied boss fights (tons of them) and tons of moves so stuff didn't get stale. It was funny too. After Mysterio goes to great lengths to beat you first claiming to be an alien and then by claiming he's some sort of evil sorceror,

Also, this thread is now about Wolverine. All comics are about Wolverine.

Also, this thread is now about Wolverine. All comics are about Wolverine.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine was such a great game! Holy crap, it blew the movie out of the water and became one of my favorite licensed games period.

The movie sucked so that wasn't hard to do. They completely butchered this character over the last two films. X Men went from being top notch movies to a joke in the last two movies. I'm still holding out hope for Magneto X Men Origins but last I heard the next X Men movie is taking a page out of Spiderman and taking it back to when they were just kids.

Actually I'm not. I have extensive experience with the character, unfortunately. From the WWII era books that my grandfather gave me (All-Winners as well as his own book) down to Secret Wars and onto the present, the Steve Rogers Captain America has always been led more by his ideals than the realities of his particular time. That's how he's portrayed and that's why I dislike him intensely.

This is why he's a hero. Rather than representing the occasional ugly reality of America, Cap has always represented what America could be and should be. This is a guy who signed on to test the Super Soldier Serum and fight ****s in 1940.

Hell, even "killing" him didn't register as much as a blip on the sales radar.

Preorders on his death issue amounted to over 290,000 issues. That's an awfully large spike.

The Steve Rogers Captain America has always been a "letter" over "spirit" type, with regard to the law. Even if he didn't like a law, he'd abide by it uncomfortably. Now all of a sudden, he's a "fight the power" type? Again, as happened when I first followed the series, I have to say: C'mon.

This is counterfactual. Cap fought ****s as an agent of America a year before America entered the war. He left behind the Captain America costume and his status as a civil servant rather than take part in the Nixon administration. There's at least one What If? story in which he leads an overthrow of the United States government. Cap has always been about spirit over letter.

• 1 month later...

Just spent over $200 on comics...

Yesterday I bought:

Batman: Hush

Batman & Son

Batman: The Killing Joke

Spider-Man: Torment

Alan Moore's Complete WildCATs

Today, I bought:

Spider-Man: The Complete Clone Saga Volumes 1 &2

Spider-Man: The Real Clone Saga

Spider-Man 2099: Volume 1

Sad part is, I went looking for Haunt comics and didn't even find any!

Archived