Diary Preview Thread

Just a rough draft of part of things to come... Most likely. Like 95% chance this time:

Dante: Can we go now?

Randal: Go? C’mon, we just got here. Like you have any place to anyways…

Dante: As a matter of fact I just so happen to have a date tonight.

Randal: Well, why didn’t you just say so you sly dog, you? Now you’re gonna HAVE to stay for the whole show. I hope they have midgets… I love midgets…

Dante: Damn it, Randal, you told me this was an emergency. I highly doubt anyone thinks watching a couple of meathead jocks beating each other with metal chairs warrants the term “emergency.”

On cue, the meatier of the meatheads in the ring finds himself tossed out of the ring, brushing the dirt off himself feet away from the minimum wage employees in the front row.

Dante: I mean, look at this guy right here. Why on earth would anyone, even you, want to throw away good money to see some talentless steroid junkie like him act like a talentless steroid junkie. Furthermore-

Big Smack Scott: What did you just say, fat ass?!

Dante: Wh- me?

Big Smack Scott: Yeah you, Pop n’ Fresh! You got something to say to the baddest son of a bitch that ever lived?!

Dante: I… I didn’t say anything, right Randal?

Randal: Nah, I seem to recall you saying this fine gentleman was a “talentless steroid junkie.” I mean, that’s what I THOUGHT I heard…

Big Smack Scott: Oh yeah? Well screw you, and screw you too! HAH?!

The “HAH?!” is only the second most audible noise emitted thanks to Big Smack Scott, the most being the synchronized fist colliding with Dante’s skull. Followed by the third most audible, Dante’s unconscious body slumping heavily and limply to the soda soaked floor.

Big Smack Scott *turning to return to the match*: HAH?!

Randal: Screw me? What’d I do? Well that’s rather rude. Don’t you think so Dante? I think he owes me an apology. But seriously, where are they hiding the midgets…

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is my current TEW2010 game. Wasn't intended as a diary, but I have to write a bit to give the game context (otherwise, I find myself unattached and unable to play for long periods of time).

I do this all the time as well. I keep copious notes and written segments on every TEW game I play whether or not it ever sees the light of a diary.

Thinking of doing something with OLLIE as apart from Dragonmack's MHW diary Mexico has been seriously overlooked. The only thing is that it would utilize a 70/80 percent angle ratio so would utilize angles a lot in comparison to true lucha. Plus apart from taking Heel/Face real serious and being a high-flying and fast paced type of wrestling with lots of masks I don't know much about lucha.

Would people mind it not being a "true" reflection of lucha so long as its an entertaining story?

Will finish up my TNA diary first though.

Would people mind it not being a "true" reflection of lucha so long as its an entertaining story?

Yes, people will mind ;)

It might be up to my personal opinion, but I don't like when people change the angle ratio from 90% to 80% in non-created promotions. Honestly, if it's not "true" lucha libre, it's not lucha libre at all. So atleast I would mind.

Yes, people will mind ;)

It might be up to my personal opinion, but I don't like when people change the angle ratio from 90% to 80% in non-created promotions. Honestly, if it's not "true" lucha libre, it's not lucha libre at all. So atleast I would mind.

I mind less, I guess. If the owner lets you change the product, it seems less problematic to me (I'm assuming that in '10, like in 08', the owner can block you from making dramatic changes to the product).

Thinking of doing something with OLLIE as apart from Dragonmack's MHW diary Mexico has been seriously overlooked. The only thing is that it would utilize a 70/80 percent angle ratio so would utilize angles a lot in comparison to true lucha. Plus apart from taking Heel/Face real serious and being a high-flying and fast paced type of wrestling with lots of masks I don't know much about lucha.

Will finish up my TNA diary first though.

While I can certainly understand FlameSnoopy's perspetive, I can't say I agree. I have no real issue with making some things work with the stories you want to tell. A diary is about presenting your vision of something, whether its real world or CV. Is being a slave to game mechanics or the exact nuances of reality worth changing the story you want to tell? I would usually say no, within reason. I mean, how many real world diaries manage to exactly capture the details of a WWE show, down to the match-angle ratio, match lengths, angle lengths, angle variety, etc? I would say that getting those things close enough to "feel" real is good enough. So if adjusting the match-angle ratio a bit is going to make it easier to tell the stories you want to in the way you want to, then I say do it.

Plus, most of the lucha I have seen - which is admittedly not a huge amount - did have a fair amount of angles. I watched AAA's TripleMania 2009 and the amount of non-wrestling time - hype videos, etc - was at least equal to a WWE or TNA PPV, if not higher.

It's worth mentioning that I've watched (very little, but...) some Lucha, and it seems that AAA is very much angle-oriented by comparison to CMLL. Or at least, I thought it was sillier. (Oh, Gran Apache... I know you're good and all, but your gimmick makes me laugh!)

Yeah the owner allows it and it would be a switch to 80 percent but given the fact I have 10 percent leeway it will still feature a lot of matches. Or is the leeway gone? Plus I find it od that both SOTBW and MPWF have Mainstream and Comedy so high and still just an 90 percent ratio. The only real "god modding" I may do is allowing myself to up modern to medium which the owner will allow but not the default settings in the editor.

Yeah the owner allows it and it would be a switch to 80 percent but given the fact I have 10 percent leeway it will still feature a lot of matches. Or is the leeway gone? Plus I find it od that both SOTBW and MPWF have Mainstream and Comedy so high and still just an 90 percent ratio. The only real "god modding" I may do is allowing myself to up modern to medium which the owner will allow but not the default settings in the editor.

Lucha Libre is Mainstream and it has some Comedy. From in-game perspective the Lucha product looks really, really weird, but in reality it's pretty heavily just like that.

Well yes. It is his diary of course, but he wouldn't get a reader from here to be fairly honest. And CMLL > AAA :cool:

And that's fine. I just think holding writers to that kind of specific standard to be very limiting. If someone did a TNA diary where the match-angle ratio was above 30-40%, that would "unrealistic", yet understandable.

And now i'm just dyin' to write 'Number Wars' :o

'Edge of 17' plays as 2, 3, 5, 7, 11 make their way to ringside. They assumble in a line to salute and yell "WE ARE PRIME!" then 7 grabs the mic.

"Cut the music. You might notice that our boy 13 is not with us tonight after that sneak attack by ING (Imaginary Numbers Gangsta). WE were here to issue a challenge to the imaginary numbers tonight, but where are they? Anyone seen them? I see quite a few primes up in the stands. 97. 73. And I see you way up there '65516468355 × 2333333 ± 1'. Shout out to my big brother! but were are the..."

by Metallica[/url] plays as beer drinking rebel 1 comes into view.

"Hey, you prime jackoffs. Did I say I was done with you? You know, the ancient greek philosophers didn't respect me either. Didn't think I was a number. They're all dead now, and you pissants are one wrong word from joining them. Prime numbers are divisible by themselves and one. So buddy, I got your number!"

1 flashes a single digit while PRIME look pissed off. They move to surround 1, looking to use their superior numers to trap him when

plays and GEO (Geometry Engineering Oblivion) hit the ring, Koch Curve and Cantor ternary set joining forces with 1 to attack PRIME.

'Edge of 17' plays as 2, 3, 5, 7, 11 make their way to ringside. They assumble in a line to salute and yell "WE ARE PRIME!" then 7 grabs the mic.

"Cut the music. You might notice that our boy 13 is not with us tonight after that sneak attack by ING (Imaginary Numbers Gangsta). WE were here to issue a challenge to the imaginary numbers tonight, but where are they? Anyone seen them? I see quite a few primes up in the stands. 97. 73. And I see you way up there '65516468355 × 2333333 ± 1'. Shout out to my big brother! but were are the..."

"Hey, you prime jackoffs. Did I say I was done with you? You know, the ancient greek philosophers didn't respect me either. Didn't think I was a number. They're all dead now, and you pissants are one wrong word from joining them. Prime numbers are divisible by themselves and one. So buddy, I got your number!"

1 flashes a single digit while PRIME look pissed off. They move to surround 1, looking to use their superior numers to trap him when

plays and GEO (Geometry Engineering Oblivion) hit the ring, Koch Curve and Cantor ternary set joining forces with 1 to attack PRIME.

I would so read this diary.

I would read if only for the fact that I reckon Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac are out of this world awesome.

I'm either bringing my WCW diary over or doing a TNA 2005 one. That's just it. But, there's a chance that I might try to do both. It would be stupid maybe but that's just a suggestion. Those would start down the road, not now as life is starting to catch up with me in terms of things to do.

I loled at the fact that there is a whale in the land animal alliance poster. Hopefully we have Foolinc doing another 0/0/0(/0) company, should be a good read as always.

I personally am gearing up for my own launch. Being a 0/0/0/0 man myself, I normally just create a promotion and go, with very little backstory, but this time I am gonna go for a full length backstory...the basis fo it is, with the retirement of The Stomper, NYCW splits with one side slowing things down and looking like a retirement home, and the other side mixing youth and age together into a technical masterclass. Should be fun for me, and at the very least unique for readers.

RPW diary?

Yep. :D

I loled at the fact that there is a whale in the land animal alliance poster. Hopefully we have Foolinc doing another 0/0/0(/0) company, should be a good read as always.

I personally am gearing up for my own launch. Being a 0/0/0/0 man myself, I normally just create a promotion and go, with very little backstory, but this time I am gonna go for a full length backstory...the basis fo it is, with the retirement of The Stomper, NYCW splits with one side slowing things down and looking like a retirement home, and the other side mixing youth and age together into a technical masterclass. Should be fun for me, and at the very least unique for readers.

The new RPW isn't going to be a 0/0/0/0 promotion, but thanks to the momentum feature I was able to make RPW a smaller company than I normally would make them otherwise. Instead of making the company bigger I instead just boosted their momentum to represent the buzz of a old company coming back from the dead.

I've been kicking around an idea for a diary, but I'm not sure what all the logos/banners are for and I don't want to step on any toes as far as what company name to use.

the idea would be to have a small company (10% Midwest most likely) owned by Crippler Ray Kingman and using the "Return to the Golden Era" banner. The product would be very similar to the default XWA, as a wrestling focused company.

However, instead of using company belts, my thought is to buy some of the older belts (held by Crippler) to connect the company to the past. Furthermore the idea that at some point Barry Kingman would take control could play into the story (assuming I don't get fired)

the one drawback is the user character. I would almost certainly use jack avatar (maybe masked avatar) and more than likely my character would be the most over. I have never been comfortable using my character in diaries, but with a small company it is almost unavoidable that he will have to be at the top of my card, however I don't know how well that will go over.

any thoughts on my idea as well as the drawback would be appreciated.

My only thought would be 'Don't use Jack Avatar'. It's so unoriginal. An instant turn-off for me, and apparently a lot of other diary readers.

I understand the reticence to push "yourself" in a diary, or even in a private game. What I do nowadays if make my user character the exact opposite to me in many, many ways. I'm white so I make them black. I'm a dude so I make them female. I'm fairly small, so I make them Super-Heavyweight. I distance the character from myself, so I'm not pushing 'me'. It's just another character. Who happens to work for free.

No problem with the User being the most over. You can roll that into the story. As long as it makes sense, it'll work. Just don't use Jack Avatar. It's incredibly lame.

My only thought would be 'Don't use Jack Avatar'. It's so unoriginal. An instant turn-off for me, and apparently a lot of other diary readers.

I understand the reticence to push "yourself" in a diary, or even in a private game. What I do nowadays if make my user character the exact opposite to me in many, many ways. I'm white so I make them black. I'm a dude so I make them female. I'm fairly small, so I make them Super-Heavyweight. I distance the character from myself, so I'm not pushing 'me'. It's just another character. Who happens to work for free.

No problem with the User being the most over. You can roll that into the story. As long as it makes sense, it'll work. Just don't use Jack Avatar. It's incredibly lame.

I appreciate the feedback. I'm thinking I'm going to use a variation of the masked avatar, with a different name of course.

After I posted I got to thinking that one simple answer would me draining all the popularity off my user character, therefore in the beginning he wouldn't be the most popular, problem solved. I wouldn't mind pushing my character at the top later on once he's established it just feels weird to do right off the bat.

Archived