The Official ROH Discussion Thread

Wrestling Century

So, I've just ordered DBD X on iPPV because I haven't seen any wrestling in a long-ass time, and Steen vs. Rhino looks like my sort of match (wouldn't be the first time I order an entire show on the strength of one match. I don't even know who a lot of the rest of the guys on the card even are ¬_¬). To be fair, Homicide vs. Lethal could also be awesome, and the tag tournament.

If anyone else is, come and hang out in the TEW chatroom (we might as well use it for something, right? ¬_¬): http://webchat.quakenet.org/ (just enter #tew in the Channel box, or if you use IRC clients, join #tew on irc.quakenet.org).

Not watching the show live, too tired to stay up long enough to watch the full show....and overall not too bothered about the card. Also still haven't been able to watch BiTW 2012 without audio issues, so that has left me slightly hesitant to buy an ippv from the ROH site again (50/50 for ppvs ordered since they came off GFL...Border Wars perfect, BiTW still dodgy).

Would appreciate a post on whether the show is worth it by anyone that watches...not really looking like one of the best ROH cards but if the matches deliver I may consider ordering later.

So, I've just ordered DBD X on iPPV because I haven't seen any wrestling in a long-ass time, and Steen vs. Rhino looks like my sort of match (wouldn't be the first time I order an entire show on the strength of one match. I don't even know who a lot of the rest of the guys on the card even are ¬_¬). To be fair, Homicide vs. Lethal could also be awesome, and the tag tournament.

If anyone else is, come and hang out in the TEW chatroom (we might as well use it for something, right? ¬_¬): http://webchat.quakenet.org/ (just enter #tew in the Channel box, or if you use IRC clients, join #tew on irc.quakenet.org).

I'm watching with /wooo/ tonight; I think most people know the main event is a foregone conclussion but there's a few matches on the undercard that might be fun. Also Matt Hardy is probably going to make an ass of him himself.

Also if you watch the TV show [which I synchtube on Thursday nights] you know two things: Alot of the matches have more going for them than just what's on paper; Jay Lethal for example has been showing a new edge to his character and seem determined to chase the world title, and secondly watching Mike "get over or die trying" Mondo is hilarious.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm watching with /wooo/ tonight; I think most people know the main event is a foregone conclussion but there's a few matches on the undercard that might be fun. Also Matt Hardy is probably going to make an ass of him himself.

Also if you watch the TV show [which I synchtube on Thursday nights] you know two things: Alot of the matches have more going for them than just what's on paper; Jay Lethal for example has been showing a new edge to his character and seem determined to chase the world title, and secondly watching Mike "get over or die trying" Mondo is hilarious.

I hate Mike Mondo's voice, it sounds like he sucks on helium before every interview.

I must say that I really like the Nigel/Kevin Kelly commentating team. I think they do a pretty good job putting over the wrestlers and the overall product.

What I do not like is the multiple Kevin Kelly shill segments. I understand that the whole point of the show is prop up the live shows (Or at least that is the way it used to be.), but come on how many times over the course of an hour must we be subjected to him hyping up that show in Mississauga, Canada.

Even though I have never missed an episode of ROH TV since it debuted with sinclair last September, I find it to be really lackluster lately. That might be partly because my favoriote wrestler in the company Tommaso Ciampa is out for a whole year after he tore his ACL but some weeks it's really good and some weeks its like ugh why did I just watch that.

Even though I have never missed an episode of ROH TV since it debuted with sinclair last September, I find it to be really lackluster lately. That might be partly because my favoriote wrestler in the company Tommaso Ciampa is out for a whole year after he tore his ACL but some weeks it's really good and some weeks its like ugh why did I just watch that.

I agree with you, the show is lacking something. I would say star power, there is nobody that I think is out of this world great on their roster. It does not help the fact that a good majority of the roster are poor speakers.

I agree with you, the show is lacking something. I would say star power, there is nobody that I think is out of this world great on their roster. It does not help the fact that a good majority of the roster are poor speakers.

Like I said in my previous post I am really high on Tommaso Ciampa, he is definately something special in my book. He can talk well on the mic and can wrestle a solid match plus he actually has a personality and doesn't just go though the motions like some of their guys seem to do. So it really hurts them that he is out right now because he is probably in my opinion their best up and coming guy. He would have probably of won the Survival Of The Fittest Tournament if he didn't get injured but its the wrestling business and stuff like that happens.

I think Adam Cole and Michael Elgin can be. They've showed enough to make me believe they are the real deal. Elgin of course had that great match with Richards and just came off a great match with Steen and I've always been high on Cole since first seeing him in CZW as a heel. With Cole, I wish they would show more of his charisma and mic skills a bit more because he's really good in that department(see his BOLA promo of this year). And he's a good wrestler too and he's only I believe 22 so he will get better with age.

I think Adam Cole and Michael Elgin can be. They've showed enough to make me believe they are the real deal. Elgin of course had that great match with Richards and just came off a great match with Steen and I've always been high on Cole since first seeing him in CZW as a heel. With Cole, I wish they would show more of his charisma and mic skills a bit more because he's really good in that department(see his BOLA promo of this year). And he's a good wrestler too and he's only I believe 22 so he will get better with age.

Elgin vs. Richards was an absolute terrible match I would give it two stars out of the five that it did get but that is only my opinion.

I don't knock anyone for liking that match, if you like it more power to you for doing so. I just don't think it was as good as people including Dave Meltzer said it was. I haven't seen Steen vs. Elgin yet so I wont say anything about it but I just wasn't a fan after watching Elgin/Richards. I saw it after the IPPV took place and went into it with a lot of expectations because of what I had heard people say about it and from hearing all of that and watching the match I just didn't think the match deserved all of the praise that it got.

I also heard that Elgins match with Steen was his "Unoffical WWE send off match" which is a huge compliment but I wont agree or disagree with that statement until I see the match.

TBH, I've fallen out of touch with ROH for the last year. I don't know the first thing about Ciampa, Cole, Elgin, etc.

I do think they are on a downswing talent wise. You can blame 'raids' by TNA and WWE for that over the last few years. I say raids in quotes because they didn't have to steal very many to really take ROH down a few pegs. Not exactly WWF vs WCW vs ECW.

If ROH had gotten the Sinclair show back when Tyler Black was still champion (or further back when Danielson and McGuiness had it) they could have really made a run at TNA for 2nd in America. But as it stands, they have very little chance of getting any bigger than they are right now.

Talent wise (def not coverage wise) I would put PWG and CHIKARA above ROH right now. Why PWG hasn't gotten a tv deal yet baffles me.

Cole yes I could see him doing things in the future.

I am not so sure about Elgin to be honest with you. I cannot seem to find anything that says how old he is but I remember seeing somewhere that he is in his early 30's so that is one strike against him. Plus he really does not have the look, for lack of a better word. Maybe I am completely wrong about this but I just personally do not see it for him.

I do think they are on a downswing talent wise. You can blame 'raids' by TNA and WWE for that over the last few years. I say raids in quotes because they didn't have to steal very many to really take ROH down a few pegs. Not exactly WWF vs WCW vs ECW.

If ROH had gotten the Sinclair show back when Tyler Black was still champion (or further back when Danielson and McGuiness had it) they could have really made a run at TNA for 2nd in America. But as it stands, they have very little chance of getting any bigger than they are right now.

Talent wise (def not coverage wise) I would put PWG and CHIKARA above ROH right now. Why PWG hasn't gotten a tv deal yet baffles me.

I agree with the downswing of talent line. As I said in my previous post I just am not impressed with who they have. To me none of them are future stars in the making.

Then again I when one of my favorite wrestlers was fired from WCW and eventually ended up in the WWF I thought his career was done with and he went on to become the biggest star of his generation so anything is possible I suppose, I just do not see it.

I also thought it was a terrible move when Claudio went to the WWE and that is proving to be wrong as well, so I am not the best at saying who will and will not be good in the future.

I really cannot comment on PWG having never had the chance to see any of their shows. I saw one CHIKARA show before so once again my lack of exposure to that would not allow me to be comfortable talking about it.

I could have sworn Elgin is only 24 or 25. But he does have the Arn Anderson look so he looks like he's almost 40.

You could be right, I could not find his age anywhere I looked so I just went with what I thought I had read. However, I could be way off course.

Like you said maybe he just looks like he is almost 40.:D

According to ROH's Website he is 24.

Thank you for finding that, you know I didn't even think to look in the most obvious place, which is ROH's wedbsite. Okay well forget what I said about age, but I still stick by what I said about his look.:D Also, he is okay on the mic.

TBH, I've fallen out of touch with ROH for the last year. I don't know the first thing about Ciampa, Cole, Elgin, etc.

I would even put DGUSA above ROH(not just because I follow Dragon Gate) because their roster consisting of the likes of CIMA, Akira Tozawa, Johnny Gargano, Ricochet, Jon Davis, BxB Hulk, YAMATO and that roster has more "starpower" and somewhat better wrestlers than ROH.

And I really do miss ROH on HDNet. It may have lasted like two years but I thought it was great and it felt like an ROH TV show. The Sinclair version has always been lacking.

• 3 weeks later...

Just caught the Richards/Steen matches from Border Wars/BitW. Honestly, it is some of the best in-ring storytelling I've seen in years. Those two were just a treat to watch work together again.

Richards stuff with Edwards and Steen was really great. I, too, wish those stories played out on HDNet where I felt like there was more of a clear direction the show followed.

New RoH World Title, modeled after the WCW and NWA 6-Man Tag belts:

Pics originally posted by none other than Judge Jeff Jones.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/292776_10151376537256328_368918826_n.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff442/ROHSBG/ROHWorldTVChampionship/DSC00563.jpg

with the new Tag belts, modeled after the classic WCW TV belt:

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff442/ROHSBG/ROHWorldTVChampionship/DSC00566.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff442/ROHSBG/ROHWorldTVChampionship/008_1-fixed.jpg

As an amateur belt designer (and a frequent contributor to TEW *SHAMELESS SELF PLUG*) I happen to like these.

Thoughts from the rest of you?

I like the new TV title if I may say so, the old TV title just looked to fake to me I guess, too many colors and it was an Eye Sore IMO. However I like the new TV title and the new tag belts look awesome as well.

I actually hope they don't change the World Title because the company is only ten and a half years old and they have already changed the title once (after the origional) so I hope they don't change it but if they did I guess if it looks awesome then I wont complain.