The David Mack Chronicles: NYCW- The Homecoming

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a nice show. NYCW is such a fun promotion and you're, once again, showing it. I need to look in the editor for any hint of a relatonship between Wright and Harker, I got the same message in my own game after a few shows. I do not believe in coincidence ;) I gotta say it saved Harker's job as he didn't really progress over his initial contract.

I have to say that I fired Vessey on the spot. He was accounting for almost 8% of negative influence in my backstage area and had no real plan for him.

That was a nice show. NYCW is such a fun promotion and you're, once again, showing it. I need to look in the editor for any hint of a relatonship between Wright and Harker, I got the same message in my own game after a few shows. I do not believe in coincidence ;) I gotta say it saved Harker's job as he didn't really progress over his initial contract.

I have to say that I fired Vessey on the spot. He was accounting for almost 8% of negative influence in my backstage area and had no real plan for him.

NYCW has a lot of positive backstage guys to start and Vessey has great performance skills and B- menace . To me, he makes the perfect active commisioner and trainer, ala a William Regal, only not as good on the mike. But doing angles based on menace compensates for that.

Having been a fan of you're NYCW diary, I assumed it was going to be Ota, but can't really say I'm disappointed. Did think you might be playing the readers of you're old diary though and have someone new come in.

Ideally for shock value and nostalgia it would be Acid, but at small level there is no way I could afford him, and I was looking for a permanent addition as opposed to a talent trade. I could have gone with some of the regular names like the Gauges, Davis Wayne Newton, or Jay Chord, and Chord would have had continuity as well since we had a feud back in my old diary too, but I also wanted to avoid hiring people likely to be signed away quickly.. and Jay is a complete cancer backstage and I didn't want that. If Ota's demands had been unreasonable or I just couldn't sign him then I would have looked elsewhere, and I do plan to bring in some different people than my last NYCW run, but Ota was who I was initially targeting all along.

NYCW has a lot of positive backstage guys to start and Vessey has great performance skills and B- menace . To me, he makes the perfect active commisioner and trainer, ala a William Regal, only not as good on the mike. But doing angles based on menace compensates for that.

Valid points. I just had a creative blank I think on Vessey. I had ideas of where I wanted to go with almost everyone but him. It's like Des Davids in USPW-08. He's a great kid with a lot of upside, but it alway took me quite some time to find a role for him for no apparent reason.

Meeting at Stomper’s Office Monday Morning Feb 1st 2010

Stomper was sitting in his comfortable leather chair behind his desk, reviewing the financial report I had just prepared for him. I could have just emailed him the numbers, but Stomper preferred paper over info off a computer. Despite the efforts of myself a few years ago, and Sammy after that, Stomper still didn’t fully trust computers, although I have caught him surfing wrestling sites sometimes. He looked over at me seated across the desk from him and said

“ So what’s the damage kid? I notice you had everyone on the show. How much did that set us back?”

Momentarily shuffling the papers in my hands to pull up the revenue sheet, I replied

“ Actually it’s pretty much all good news Stomp. Not only did we pay for the increased advertising with a larger gate, but after the merchandise numbers and sponsorship totaled up we actually made over a $5K profit for the month. Added to that all the reviews say Rush Hour was a great show for us, and everything looks good for us being able to get some solid growth this year.”

Stomper’s face, at the mention of the tidy profit for the month, stretched into a big grin and stated

“ Well, well, $5K you say? I knew there was a reason I agreed to bring you back! But don’t take this as a license to do anything crazy! I don’t want to take one step forward only to end up taking two steps back! Remember this promotion is like my car, it needs to be handled carefully and controlled.”

Like his car? Where the hell did he come up with a dumb metaphor like that? Anyway, while he was in a good mood I thought it was time to tell him my other news.

“ Of course you know Cage has gone to the SWF, but then we pretty much expected that to happen. At least he was good enough to stay around for the show and put over a couple people before he left. But with his departure and Vessey’s turn, that has left us a little light in lower card faces. So, seeing as we had such a nice profit last month, even with using almost all of our roster, I took the liberty of contacting a few people and adding a little depth to our roster.”

Of course the mere mention of spending money was enough to snap Stomper back into his usual grouchiness

“ Wait a minute kid, don’t go spending all the money we just started making! I agreed to bring Ota in because he had worked here before and I know you and he can draw, but I can’t be handing contracts out like that like they were candy!”

I motioned him to calm down before he got himself worked up again. The last thing a guy his age needs is high blood pressure. I told him

“ Relax Stomper, none of the 3 guys I hired wants more than $700 a show, and none have a downside. Added to not having Cage’s contract anymore, we should still be fine. Besides, I think if we can get another 2-3 shows as good as the last one, we could probably hit the sponsors up for a bigger contribution as their advertising will be reaching a larger audience”

Stomper calmed himself back down and replied

“Alright kid, if you think we need a couple more bodies, that is your decision. Anyone I know?”

I answered

“ Elijah Harris, you remember him from when we brought him in three years ago. He is a reliable veteran who can talk a little and also work a decent match. I figure he will slot into the lower card as a face and serve as a gatekeeper and he can work both singles and tag easily. Also there are a couple rookies, one who has a lot of size and power, and the other looks extremely promising in potential. Once you approve the contracts they’ll probably make their debut at our next show.”

“ Ok , leave their paperwork on my desk and I will get back to you later today. Now get out of my office,we got two weeks for you to set up our next show.”

Great stuff, really enjoyed that show - I never really got into your first NYCW diary, but looking forward to seeing more of this one.

Glad you are enjoying this one. I am also enjoying your watcher diary. Mine got sidetracked off when I decided to go ahead with this one but there will still be looks at the rest of the wrestling world, just not as quickly as yours. ;):D

While it wouldn’t seem like it would take a lot of time to book only one show a month, in reality there is a lot of work involved in being a booker, even of a small company. In addition to creating storylines and handling contracts there are the day to day stuff of briefings of the workers involved in the storylines, making sure there aren’t any scheduling conflicts, and getting the venue hired for the month. In addition, since I am an active wrestler as well, there is the time I need to spend training, working out, going over my matches with my next opponent, and picking the brains of the veterans on the roster for any new tips or tricks to add to my repertoire. But without doubt , one of my biggest responsibilities is to maintain my awareness of what else is happening in the wrestling world. Nothing happens in a vacuum, the wrestling world especially.

Events that happen half a world away could affect us here in NYCW so I usually spent at least 2-3 hours a day going over reports from other promotions and wrestling websites for news of what was happening, not only in the US wrestling scene, but also worldwide. I needed to know about major events because you never knew what might directly affect us. SWF or TCW decide to do an expansion of their market, which means they need more workers,which means they start looking towards the indy promotions. Conversely they have a reversal and let go some people, there could be a person there that could immediately benefit us. Or someone comes out of a dojo but doesn’t immediately get grabbed by their parent company. That person might be of use to us. Also, a lot of our guys wrestle with other promotions. It is necessary for me to know what these other promotions are doing as their shows could affect mine. From Tommy Cornell on down to some no name like Dusty Bin it is all one connected wrestling universe, a C-Verse if you will. So in my usual end of month ritual that I have gone through for the past three years, I took all the info I came across for the past month and summarized it for easy reference.

January 2010

News:

• 5SSW have risen to a Regional level promotion classification.
  • GCG have risen to a Cult Level promtion. That should generate some movement of workers in Japan.
  • Rumor has it that 21CW announcer Steve Smith and wrestler Harry Wilson, have had some major arguments backstage and strongly dislike each other. Not surprising, as I heard all kinds of stories when I was in Canada that Cliff ‘Dark Angel’ Wilson’s younger brother was a complete antisocial jackass backstage.
  • USPW have gotten a local PPV deal with Public Access Select while SWF have widened their overseas market with a PPV deal in the UK.

Signings and Leavings:

• BHOTWG call up super junior Reijiro Hiraki from development at Hinote Dojo and bring in 5SSW legend Thunder Hike to do color commentating.
  • CGC added Jacob Jett from 4C to their roster. I will have to give Alex credit on this one, Jett definitely has long term star potential.
  • CZCW brings in high flyer Mainstream Hernandez.
  • NYCW adds Fumihiro Ota and lose Roger Cage.
  • PGHW call up Eien Miyamoto and Totoya Munakata from development at Saisho, but then release Munakata a few days later.
  • PSW lost Matthew Keith.
  • RIPW brings in Brains McGhee, Ernie Turner and Matthew Keith on development deals.
  • ROF has a roster purge by letting go Nigel Svennson, Gob Narfi, Ryhs Vali, Martin Heath and John Michael Sharp.
  • SAISHO bring in Shingen Miyazaki and Samoan Machine on a ppa basis.
  • SWF calls up Bear Bekowski and Kristen Pearce from RIPW and sign NYCW’s Roger Cage.
  • UEW bring in Scott Van Der Berg and Greg Gauge.

Title Changes:

• The Rainbow Girls ( Kiko Sakakibara and Otsune Tsumura) def the Serpents ( Dragon Power and Dragon Assassin ) to win the 5SSW tag titles for the second time.
  • The team of Jen Neptune and Vampella def Sweet as Candy ( Lindsay Sugar and Coco de Soleil) for the BSC Girl Power tag team titles.
  • Shooter Sean Deeley overcomes Joey Poison to win the CGC Canadian title for the second time.
  • Yasuhide Tayama claims the GCG Openweight title from Mabuchi Furusawa.
  • Spanish Superfly, Mario Heroic and Cinque Jr win the MPWF Trios title from Hijo del Mephisto and the Cano Brothers.
  • Mean Jean Catteley wins the MAW 2010 Rip Chord Invitational Tournament.
  • Swarms I and III team with Rafael Ruiz to take OLLIE Trios title from Luis Montero Jr, Gino Montero and Tricolor Jr.
  • Matthew Keith’s departure leaves the PSW National title vacant.
  • SAISHO’s tag titles are vacated when Totoya Munakata is called up.
  • Jerry Martin and Marshall Dillon claim the RIPW Tag titles after Bear Bekowski’s call up vacates them.
  • Blood Raven wins the Campeon de Menor title for a 2nd time after beating El Sucio.
  • La Alianza del Terror take the SOTBPW Trios title when Los Sickness and their enforcer Verdugo Estupendo defeat El Hijo Espada Roja, Capitao Brasil Jr and Velocidad.
  • Chance Fortune captures the TCW All Action title for a 4th time after beating Edd Stone.
  • Gareth Wayne takes the WEXXV Warrior’s Heart title for a 2nd time when he beats Ryu Kajahara.
  • Hypnos wins the WLW Tap Out title from Rogue Matsuo SF.

From the NYCW Website....

Rush Hour was an amazing show that saw the return of two of NYCW’s biggest stars as David Mack and Ota , the Darkness Warrior renewed their epic feud. Also Black Hat Bailey successfully turned back the challenge of Whistler while Honest Frank, with the help of a brutal assault by Land Mass, has driven Roger Cage out of NYCW. Land Mass was sending a message to Cage’s partner, Tri-State Champion Sammy the Shark. Also Old School Principals regained their standing as #1 contenders to the tag titles with a solid victory. Steve Flash continued his climb back into contention with a victory and Larry Vessey underwent a violent change of attitude with a vicious beat down of the rookie Animal Harker.

The action continues this month at NYCW RUMBLE IN THE BRONX as old feuds are renewed, challenges are accepted, and titles are on the line as NYCW strives to bring the Tri-State area the best in classic wrestling action. Matches already signed for the event include

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/SammyTheShark_alt.jpg VS http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/LandMass.jpg

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/NYCW_TriState_alt.jpg

Sammy The Shark © vs. Land Mass for the NYCW Tri-State Championship

Land Mass sent a message with the brutal beat down of Sammy’s tag partner Roger Cage. The beating was so severe that Cage may never be seen in NYCW again. The champion Sammy, who has recently seen the light and gotten the fans behind him faces literally the biggest challenge of his career to his title in the massive 400lb Land Mass.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/DeanWaldorf.jpghttp://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/MarvStatler.jpg VS http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/RickSanders-1.jpghttp://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/TheMaskedMauler.jpg

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/NYCW_Tag.jpg

The Ring Generals © vs. Old School Principals for the NYCW Tag Team Championship

OSP look to regain the titles from the young upstart team that dethroned them 4 months ago. Both teams are technically sound in the ring, and both are well oiled machines. But Sanders and Mauler have a decided experience edge. Will that be enough to regain the titles or can the Ring Generals marshal their forces to retain the straps.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/DazzlingDaveDiamond.jpg VS http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/BlackHatBailey.jpg

Dazzling Dave Diamond vs. Black Hat Bailey

Triple D, despite last month’s setback, has been viewed as one of the fastest rising stars in NYCW over the past year. A victory over Empire Champion Bailey would show the younger man has finally arrived in the big time. With no title on the line, will Bailey grow overconfident and lax? If so that may be all Triple D needs to get the biggest win of his career.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/Whistler-1.jpg VS http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/LeeWright.jpg

Whistler vs. Lee Wright

Old School action at its finest as over a combined six decades of ring experience square off this month. Both men are coming off a loss last month , but both men, even though they are half a century old each, want to prove they can still keep up with the punk half their age in the ring. With victory comes renewed contention for titles, with defeat comes further obscurity. Which man will earn the all important victory?

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/SteveFlash_alt1.jpg VS http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/HonestFrank-1.jpg

Steve Flash vs. Honest Frank

Both men are former Tri-State and Empire Champions. Both men are coming off impressive wins last month. And both men want the NYCW Empire Championship again, but only one man can be the next #1 Contender. Which former champion can get this high profile victory in order to stake his claim for a title match?

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/JackAvatar-1.jpg VS http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/FumihiroOta.jpg

David Mack vs. Ota , The Darkness Warrior in a no disqualification match.

An old rivalry got renewed last month as these two bitter foes met again for the first time in over a year. So evenly matched were they that no winner could be determined as the referee had to disqualify both men. This month , they meet again, only with a no disqualification stipulation in effect. Can David Mack re-establish himself as possibly the top wrestler in NYCW once again, or will NYCW see the beginning of the Reign of Darkness?

NYCW RUMBLE IN THE BRONX

The Ring Generals © vs. Old School Principals for the NYCW Tag Team Championship

Whistler vs. Lee Wright

Whistler vs. Lee Wright

Awesome, I love we are running pretty much side by side, interesting comparing booking strategies.

NYCW RUMBLE IN THE BRONX

I can't wait till we both job Lard Mass right out of NYCW

Interesting options here, gotta think the youngsters get the rub

Non-title match screams Triple D

Whistler vs. Lee Wright

Gotta go with the bigger star

Frank is a solid worker, but thinking Flash will go over to stay as the #1 contender for the Empire Strap.

Thinking Ota will get the W with nothing to stop him from cheating

Roll up type win for Sammy, something that keeps Lard Mass still looking like a semi credible monster but putting any sort of title on the useless fat lump would be a terrible move.

May as well keep the belt round the waists of the Ring Generals, until you can improve the Tag Division.

I'll go with the general consensus here, non title just screams upset and besides I can't see the belt staying on Old Hat Bailey for too much longer.

Whistler vs. Lee Wright

Talking of Old....lets see these two in a Zimmerframe on a pole match :p Coin toss between these two old has beens.

Frank may have improved, but I still think going with Flash would be the safer bet here.

No DQ makes me think that Ota will resort to some dirty tactics to pull out the win in this one.

Whistler vs. Lee Wright

I've got to agree with TK and BYU's reasonings in their choices.

Sammy's actually pretty good this time around- but he needs to be put back into the tag division with a strong all-rounder to beef up his weaker stats. Still, against Landa Mass he can't help but go over, all Mass is good for is filling space on Gang Wars

If these guys go all-out this could be a great match. I see The Generals going over here as I don't think you'll put it straight back onto Old School this quickly

You still need Bailey, so he goes over Diamond

Whistler vs. Lee Wright

Given his charisma, Whistler is extremely useful early on- let him work the crowd and you can high D+'s and the odd C- out of him

Flash isn't half the worker he used to be, but he's still one of your aces

I'm not a huge fan of Ota- I brought him into NYCW to be my top babyface, and he didn't really deliver. But against Mack, who's always been a great go-to guy, he should deliver. He goes over here, to cement him as a top heel

Whistler vs. Lee Wright

Land Mass is going to drag this match into the Toilet. Sammy wins by DQ when an enraged Mass loses control.

I've always hated the team of Sanders and Mauler. I always broke them up in 08.

Squash

Whistler vs. Lee Wright

Lee Wright still has some things going on. You'll get a few more good matches out of him versus Flash and in his off time he can train the youngsters.

Um Steve Flash...

David Mack vs. Ota , The Darkness Warrior in a no disqualification match

You need a top heel.

Whistler vs. Lee Wright

Really liked the way you are giving the show preview. Gives me an old school magazine type feel. Good stuff.

I am marking this so I remember to keep reading.

Yeah... no one pushes Land Mass.

I don't see championships changing hands so quickly.

Triple D needs to work to a big win.

Whistler vs. Lee Wright

Tough match to call.

No one beats Steve Flash

Putting yourself over is indy wrestling tradition.

Whistler vs. Lee Wright

some sort of surprize here

Whistler vs. Lee Wright

Maybe another new face to aid Ota

Archived