The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

I saw this clip on Yahoo just a few minutes ago. I love how the guy gets all cocky after taking some impressive hits and then bam he gets knocked out. The best part is watching his corner men and how they are loving the fact that he is taunting his opponent but the minute he gets knocked out, the expressions on their faces quickly turn.

I have been wanting that to happen to Anderson Silva for quite some time...

Been playing some more WMMA, and I'm wondering if you guys know any promotions that have a different ruleset as the UFC in terms of timetables. It seems like UFC determined the rules of this new sport and its fellow promotions hesitate to deviate from their home rules. Aren't their any epic promotions who still promote 'roundless' fights that last 30 minutes?

The california and new jersey state athletic commissions are considered by most the "authors" of the unified rules. The way I understand it the UFC basically chose to follow these guidelines when the athletic commissions showed interest in governing MMA, making the sport seem much more legitimate int he states.

My history could be off though so if someone actually knows this stuff then by all means, correct me. I just don't think it's a situation where UFC came up with these rules and made them standard around the country and eventually world.

*BREAKING NEWS* Ronda Rousey Becomes FIRST FEMALE FIGHTER SIGNED TO THE UFC

Hate it or Love it?

I personally love it, finally a legit reason to convince my girl to get interested in MMA. :p

Signing signals the creation of a 135lb women's division in the Ultimate Fighting Championship, a historic event unthinkable even one year ago (flatly ruled out by Dana White at the time).

Yea I think it's great. I mean they still have the same problem they had a year ago: After Ronda Rousey, who else can you build that division around should she lose, quit, or be hurt?

But it was a matter of time. She's money. As long as she's making money they'll be fine with it. And if she doesn't the division ill collapse haha.

It's gonna be interesting to see how the UFC play it. My guess is that (for now, at least) we'll see women's bouts as 'featured attractions' - co-main events on PPV or Fox cards.

You've got Honda Housey vs Cyborg, which seems inevitable. Then there's Coenen, McMann and a few others down the line. Something is definitely going on with the UFC and Invicta at the moment - I fully expect them to become the unofficial (or possibly even official) feeder league to the UFC before long.

Invicta on FUEL in a years time? Ronda vs Carano TUF? Maybe not a million miles away...

It's interesting indeed. Hopefully it doesn't hurt Invicta, which obviously has the ignition of female MMA as a purpose, but will get hurt by them if they sign various people, only to use them once or twice a year.

Invicta just established a consistent groundworks for hosting fights (every 2/3 months around 12 fights, which is not bad). It'll be tough to see the UFC duplicate one quarter of that amount. Maybe they'll just stage the biggest fights, which will - at the moment - solely be Rousey vs Cyborg.

I don't know if the UFC is looking to put on a ton of women's fights. I think they'll just have maybe like 3 Rousey fights this year and perhaps see where it goes.

I guess if BH is right and they have Invicta as a feeder league, we may see female fighters on the cards but I'd bet they just use Rousey for TV for now. She'll be on like UFC on FX, Fox, etc.

Keep in mind that Invicta already has a working relationship with Strikeforce (who as we know are owned and operated by Forza/Zuffa) to fighter share.

Shannon Knapp has already made comments to the effect that she sees no reason for this to change. My guess is that at first we'll see the likes of Cyborg, Rousey, Tate, Coenen and maybe Carano in the UFC, while Invicta generates challengers for them.

The whole Rousey thing I think will kind of blow up on them, just due to lack of legitimate competition. Nobody has proven themselves and is well-known enough to fight in the UFC against her.

It's going to blow up because women's MMA is still on the level where a female Royce Gracie easily dissected her contemporaries by doing one thing really well. Physiological differences aside, any female fighter today would get massacred in the UFC.

Also Ronda is a weirdo and I really don't think the general public will gravitate towards her.

If Invicta is in charge of 'building them up', very few UFC fans will know them. They might have rights on highlight reels, but it's not really going to help.

Culture or not, the way she finishes demands respect... or not. It will do little for the division's respect.

On a lighter note, this weekend's FUEL was quite awesome.

Ronda Rousey isn't some young, unproven commodity. She's very popular and well known already. It's not like they are taking a stab in the dark with her.

Make no bones about it, if the UFC didn't think they'd make money off of a Ronda Rousey fight right now they wouldn't have signed her. And it's not like you need a division full of talent to make some money. You need one bankable star. As far as who she would fight? Anyone the UFC can make believable enough :-)

Rousey's obviously well known by now. I think we all realise that. But the rest of the division? If Invicta is indeed affiliated with UFC, the latter needs to make fans aware of that asap so they watch the (free) fights. That way some of the better women can establish some popularity.

I also refuse to believe she'll fight 3 times in the year. It'll probably be more like 2, or even 1. There's the Cyborg fight, if it happens. Depending on the outcome, she can then go on to rematch some of the bigger names. If Cyborg does win, they are in some deep sh*t, unless Carano comes back for one more (which I doubt). And then there's the obvious McMann fight. With Sara they have two legit stars in the making.

She IS the division. That's my point. They'll probably keep it real small right now, only feature maybe 3-4 Rousey fights with only contenders to her title being featured on smaller undercard spots and stuff like that.

It's not like Strikeforce had this amazingly deep women's division either. They basically had a rotating door around one or two featured fighters at a time until they became stars.

And before anyone goes "Look how well THAT worked", Strikeforce didn't go broke on Cyborg, Carano, and Rousey.

Strikeforce didn't go broke on Cyborg, Carano, and Rousey.

Indeed they didn't. If anything, those made them a lot of money, as their wages were sub-par to say the least.

In any event, WMMA3 (and logic for that matter) teaches us that you can't keep a division alive with just 8 fighters (or somewhere around that number). In order to 'start' a division, it's always best (imo) to stage a big tournament (doesn't need to be one day) to get things going. Rousey needs a contender? Let's have a nice tournament... Strikeforce style. Oh wait, maybe not Strikeforce-style, as we all know how their last tourney went. Yeah, that's right: it failed miserably. :p

One thing we do know already: That there's enough talent in Women's Bantam that CAN threaten Rowdy Rousey. They just need to be promoted well enough before they turn 30+ and are less likely to upset her.

so.. Alistair Overeem, though said to be next in line. Faces a guy who Cain Valesquez recently beat, Valesquez gets a title shot after only 1 win since losing it, and Shane Carwin bows out of another fight (this guy must not train very smart he hasnt fought in two years due to this crap. just retire already) does the UFC just not care about their most intriguing division? (not due to it being stacked, just by size basically) I'm just really confused

so.. Alistair Overeem, though said to be next in line. Faces a guy who Cain Valesquez recently beat, Valesquez gets a title shot after only 1 win since losing it, and Shane Carwin bows out of another fight (this guy must not train very smart he hasnt fought in two years due to this crap. just retire already) does the UFC just not care about their most intriguing division? (not due to it being stacked, just by size basically) I'm just really confused

Here's the thing - The UFC genuinely believed that they would be able to have Overeem pre-emptively apply for a licence to fight on December 29th and get it rushed through. When they realised that it would not be possible, they were left with few options for a challenger to JDS; Cain was the only option.

Overeem wants to get back on the horse (pun intended) as quickly as possible - if he waits for the winner of JDS/Cain 2, that's verging on 18 months out of the cage. Assuming that Overeem beats Silva (which he has a freat chance of doing), you've got a perfect set up for Overeem vs JDS/Cain on the big 4th of July weekend card.

With Carwin - all is not as it seems. This injury is not new, I had it confirmed to me at the end of September and got three different, well placed sources to confirm it, although none would go on record. I believe the UFC was trying to ride it out due to TUF's bad ratings. I'm guessing that Nelson vs Kongo will be announced shortly.

Here's the thing - The UFC genuinely believed that they would be able to have Overeem pre-emptively apply for a licence to fight on December 29th and get it rushed through. When they realised that it would not be possible, they were left with few options for a challenger to JDS; Cain was the only option.

Overeem wants to get back on the horse (pun intended) as quickly as possible - if he waits for the winner of JDS/Cain 2, that's verging on 18 months out of the cage. Assuming that Overeem beats Silva (which he has a freat chance of doing), you've got a perfect set up for Overeem vs JDS/Cain on the big 4th of July weekend card.

With Carwin - all is not as it seems. This injury is not new, I had it confirmed to me at the end of September and got three different, well placed sources to confirm it, although none would go on record. I believe the UFC was trying to ride it out due to TUF's bad ratings. I'm guessing that Nelson vs Kongo will be announced shortly.

None of them will be bad fights, but they should have just had JDS wait IMO and have the matchup in January, much better than an outcome of Cain winning and having a champion that is 2-1 in the last 3. yes i know it has happened before with Lesnar, but he was a cash cow. this could be damaging if it doesnt go well. And i know I saw him talking about his knee being hurt, but i didn't think he'd drop out again. he hasnt fought in like 2 years, its just rough