New Finisher For Me?

Krazy Killian

Hi guys,

So for the past few months I've been wrestling and been doing pretty well in my opinion. My character is essentially a "stiff" (depite probably the lightest worker) japanese style wrestler. I use alot of kicks and fast paced moves- Davey Richards style. But I've yet to have a decent finisher to match my style.

The problem is I'm 5' 6" - 5' 7" and I (annoyingly) work face most of the time. So I need to think of a move that has pop qualitys and that I can do on most people. I used to do the nightmare of helms street move but it looked really boring.

Thoughts?

I always think striking moves look good for little guys. Maybe some super stiff running jumping kick type thing would look cool?

Either that or some sort of slam off the turnbuckles, in the vein of a sunset powerbomb, maybe some suplex type thing.

You could always just try and get your martial arts ability over. Don't have a finisher, be unique. Overwhelm your opponent with strikes, it's an underutilized tactic in wrestling where everyone wants something "amazing" to finish with. People do all these super flashy moves, and don't realize you could do something lesser and put effort into making it look like a vicious set of strikes, you'd get over quicker imo.

Think about how much of a pop someone like Low Ki gets for some of his kicks, and it went over pretty well for him in early ROH when he won a few of the matches by KO on strikes. Maybe if you've got any sort of momentum with the company, you could work in a direction over that.

Or as the other guy said, something like a Shining Wizard... And depending on how athletic you are, you could always learn how to do a Cartwheel Kick :p Nothing says finisher like a blunt force heel landing across the dome of the head.

Why not go for the old faithful Super Kick?

Because he's on the independent scene(I assume), and pretty much every wrestler uses some form of it. Any time I've ever been to a show it's one of the most commonly witnessed moves, and it never closes the show anymore.... Unless you stomp your feet and tire your leg out before you execute it, anyway.... err tune up the band? Who knows?

My point is, on the indy circuit you've gotta have things that set you apart. He's already using a style that's commonly used now with the MMA craze, and to a lesser extent ROH's style. So if he's going to go that route with brutal kicks and a high paced offense, it would be kind of a buzzkill if his go home is a super kick? Feel free to chastise me if I'm incorrect on the psychology.

Perhaps a variation on the Fame-Asser, but instead of legdropping the back of the guy's head, you Kneedrop it instead. Or a straight-up Axe Kick if you've got the flexibility.

I'm thinking something where you jump in the air, and use your weight to drive the guy's face into the mat. Maybe you jump on his shoulders from behind and let the guy fall on his face.

You could always just try and get your martial arts ability over. Don't have a finisher, be unique. Overwhelm your opponent with strikes, it's an underutilized tactic in wrestling where everyone wants something "amazing" to finish with. People do all these super flashy moves, and don't realize you could do something lesser and put effort into making it look like a vicious set of strikes, you'd get over quicker imo.

I like this idea. It will make you stand out. And it's easier to get over if you stand out. I'll one up his idea a bit. Take a move like a sleeper that would have been a finisher thirty years ago but is generally shrugged off these days. And build it into your character. Start talking in your promos that you're going to pummel your opponents so badly with your strikes and kicks, you won't NEED some flashy, splashy kill shot. Your goal is to break them down so badly you can use some random, routine move to polish them off. Be so supremely confident in the martial artsy moveset, you feel in character you can get anyway finishing with anything and make this a centerpiece in your promos.

To provide the face dimension, acknowledge the sneaky nature of your heelish opposition. You want a level playing field because you're confident you can have success that way. Your no-good, rotten heel opposition doesn't because they are afraid they can't with you around. They feel they have to cheat to survive and that ticks you off. You want to see where you REALLY stack up in the promotion and those rotten, cheating heels won't allow it. For fear you'll stack up better than they will. Be all good and righteously angry about it and do it with attitude. You want to be cool and disciplined. You want to be the stoic stereotype and may the best man win. But DAMMIT, THEY WON'T LET YOU!!

You can always borrow from Amazing Red... the move called Amazing Dead starts at 0:37 here, it would be a good finisher for you. Should be able to do it on most people and it looks amazing when it comes off right. A series of kicks could chop a guy down to size, you can pull it out of nowhere on someone getting up... all sorts of fun.

And of course, having a submission is always good for a back up. Cross arm breakers are cool, you should totally use that too. :)

You can always borrow from Amazing Red... the move called Amazing Dead starts at 0:37 here, it would be a good finisher for you. Should be able to do it on most people and it looks amazing when it comes off right. A series of kicks could chop a guy down to size, you can pull it out of nowhere on someone getting up... all sorts of fun.

And of course, having a submission is always good for a back up. Cross arm breakers are cool, you should totally use that too. :)

You forgot the link :p

From this vid, both #2 & #4 (the Cougar Lock's) look very cool and are great subs for a smaller worker. Mix it up imo, if the bulk of your arsenal is kicks and strikes finish with a deadly hold....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4NwdvLfKKo

I invented of a cool move in my head for a character on TEW, but I don't know if it will work or not. You hit your opponent with a Stunner, and then while still holding on to your opponent you do a back flip and turn it into a Sliced Bread variation (basically, Sliced Bread without jumping off the ropes).

I invented a cool move in my head for a character on TEW, but I don't know if it will work or not. You hit your opponent with a Stunner, and then while still holding on to your opponent you do a back flip and turn it into a Sliced Bread variation (basically, Sliced Bread without jumping off the ropes).

You mean the Asai DDT?

skip to 1:27

Archived