The Minor Questions Thread

On another note, does anyone actually comply with match requests? I usually get a ton that are absurd, like multiple people from the same card wanting title shots against the same person (when I barely use my champion once or twice a year to stop her from outgrowing me and rejecting negotiations). More than half the time, fulfilling a request would hamper my ability to book proper matches where they should be.

I tried to keep up, but I have a backlog of about twelve match request, half of them asking for title shots against my former champion. The requests are getting a bit silly. Is this something that should just be ignored?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just blatantly ignored the match requests for now, and I haven't seen any ill effects. But at the moment, I'm going through growing pains of a major signing blitz, and only just now settling down.

I'm not sure what exactly fulfilling a match request does, but I assume (as dangerous as that word is) that it makes a fighter somewhat happier or more loyal to my company. Ergo, if one of my stars (like William Harrison, who I've blathered about in four separate threads now) asks for a match, I'll grant it because I want to stay in his good graces as much as I possibly can. But if some undercarding moron asks for one, I'll just delete the e-mail.

Sometimes I grant them their march requests. If it makes sense.I have a notepad open so I put it down there and when I'm match making I check to see if its posibble. More often than not its not possible. I don't have a large roster and I hold 2 events a month (I have 2 tv shows). So most times the pairings aren't available.

On a related note, if I ignore their request, will that affect them negatively?

Also, is it possible for a guy to hold a belt in 2 weight classes? It seems that changing weight classses strips them of the title automatically.

Those would be injuries.

I'm talking about a medical suspension. They seem to happen a lot more in the game than in real life; especially ABSURD when it's a winner who took virtually no damage during the fight. I don't think it's realistic.

In the recent UFC event Gray Maynard was given a suspension for laceriation in the face, and Frankie Edgar got one as well for nasal fracture, as far as I know. Some injuries that don't count as injuries in the game get medical suspensions. A smaller hand injury or foot injury could also be in this category, if a fighter dominates his or her opponent on the level you describe.

However, you might be right about suspensions happening more often in the game than in real life. It doesn't bother me, though.

Pulled muscles ... wear and tear ... age ... Medical suspensions might be a tad over the top in places, but I've seen fights and wrestling matches where someone walks away with an injury and didn't take much punishment at all.

Some things just happen.

But TWO months suspension, to a winner who DOMINATED a fight and barely got hit more than once or twice? I'm sorry, I'm still not seeing it as realistic. I wish I could copy and paste the fight here for you, but I didn't save it. You'd see what I'm talking about. Not that I use any talent every two months so it didn't really impact my game, I'm just questioning the logic here.

It is realistic. I'll use the UFC as an example, purely because it's the most visible. After you fight, you go back to your changing room to be checked out. You have to cut off all your wraps, remove any braces, pads, tape etc before you're examined.

If you have a cut, no matter how small, you get a suspension. If your hands are swollen, you'll get a suspension. If you have swelling on your face, around your knees, ankles or feet, you get a suspension. If you complain of any pain in a joint, you get a suspension. If the doctor suspects ANY injury, you get a suspension until it's proven otherwise. You get the picture :)

In the UFC for example, it pays to disclose everything; this is why you see lots of medical suspensions at UFC shows, yet you have guys on small events fighting every month/two months. The reason for this is that the UFC will cover your medical bills, but only for an injury that takes place in the Octagon. Once you've left the arena, anything you haven't disclosed is not their problem.

What you will very often see is a lengthy medical suspension handed down, but with the proviso that should a doctor clear you, you can return sooner. Most states require a promoter to be liable for any serious injury that occurs as a result of a bout they promote, but with smaller promotions not covering all medical expenses, you'll tend to find that fighters wont list every little twinge and pull should they be subjected to a post-fight medical.

One thing that you learn from training, let alone fighting, is that everyone gets hurt all the time. If you've dominated a fight, chances are you've been punching someone lots...using the kind of gloves that are used for MMA, you're gonna get hurt doing that. Same goes for grappling - 15 mins of hard grappling and you're going to pull something.

One reason the game could also use suspensions instead of injuries (since as has been said most suspensions occur from sort of injury, whether serious or not) is because injuries can lower a fighters physical form. So rather than having people get injured all the time and lowering their physical form with no chance of regaining it (unlike real life) the game uses suspensions instead.

Why is it that i consistently get more viewers for my TV show in the "graveyard" slot of a "medium" sized TV company in a country where i am "low level regional" than in a "prime time" slot of an "enormous" sized TV company in a country where i am "low level national"?? Doesn't make sense!

Different populations?

A medium sized network in the USA will still bring in vastly more viewers than a huge network in Canada.

Can't say for sure, but I would imagine region population would come into the mix.

Quick question on the betting line, since I have no idea what it represents in math terms. I used Wikipedia to at least get some notion of what it means, but how do the numbers translate into the "X to 1" odds like you hear in horse racing? Or do the numbers not translate cleanly? My brain just understands "X to 1" (like "10-to-1 longshot") better than the betting line.

I get that a + is an underdog, whereas a - is a favorite, but if I remember the Wikipedia entry, like a -100 is "even" (translating into 1-to-1), which confuses the heck out of me. That's about as far as my brain can deal with it.

I ask all this because I just had an upset. Moss Gilbert knocked out Fumiaki Hayashi in the 2nd, and the betting line has them at +750 and -950 respectively, so I figure that was a huge upset... but how huge was it? Does it mean Moss was the 17:1 underdog?

Quick question on the betting line, since I have no idea what it represents in math terms. I used Wikipedia to at least get some notion of what it means, but how do the numbers translate into the "X to 1" odds like you hear in horse racing? Or do the numbers not translate cleanly? My brain just understands "X to 1" (like "10-to-1 longshot") better than the betting line.

I get that a + is an underdog, whereas a - is a favorite, but if I remember the Wikipedia entry, like a -100 is "even" (translating into 1-to-1), which confuses the heck out of me. That's about as far as my brain can deal with it.

I ask all this because I just had an upset. Moss Gilbert knocked out Fumiaki Hayashi in the 2nd, and the betting line has them at +750 and -950 respectively, so I figure that was a huge upset... but how huge was it? Does it mean Moss was the 17:1 underdog?

US-style odds (most common, not surprisingly, found in the United States) are quoted as either a positive or a negative number.

When quoted as a negative number the odds figure represents the unit amount a bettor would need to risk in order to win 100 units. Hence, US odds of -200 imply a bettor would need to risk $200 in order to win $100 (so were he to win he would receive the $200 initial stake plus $100 in winnings).

When quoted as a positive number the odds figure represents the unit amount a player would win were he to risk 100 units.

Hence, US odds of +200 imply a bettor would need to risk $100 in order to win $200 (so were he to win he would receive the $100 initial stake plus $200 in winnings).

Using US-style odds, even odds bets are quoted as +100.

So +750 is 15/2

One more from me, and I think it's a "stupid" question, but it's been bothering me. The help DOC states that when a fighter is regenerated, his or her "basic data (his picture, nationality, weight, hometown, etc) will be used as the basis for a brand new rookie character to debut." Does that also apply to stats? Like, for example, say James Foster retires. Does that mean that whoever gets his picture will also be really really good at ground and pound and is destined to be one of the greats? I figure that would be way too cheap, and I figure that Adam would basically fully scramble the numbers to keep us guessing. But I just wanted to make sure.

I have no injuries and no fighter's bout requests after events. Do you know why? All fighters look like they didn't compete last night. Their overall health are always green. I manage UFC with banned JT mod, injury rate is set to medium, rest is default. Suggestions? Thanks

The physical health screen shown in current status is not 'how you're feeling today" but "what are they like at their 100%"

So fighting and "wear and tear" doesn't factor into it so much as age and major injuries.

If you see a guy get a MAJOR injury and then check their physical health in the editor, you'll see that the affected portion has gone down a bit.

In order for wear & tear & aging to factor in, you'll need to play a very long game or absolutely grind your fighters with 6+ matches a year to notice it.

On another note, does anyone actually comply with match requests? I usually get a ton that are absurd, like multiple people from the same card wanting title shots against the same person (when I barely use my champion once or twice a year to stop her from outgrowing me and rejecting negotiations). More than half the time, fulfilling a request would hamper my ability to book proper matches where they should be.

I tried to keep up, but I have a backlog of about twelve match request, half of them asking for title shots against my former champion. The requests are getting a bit silly. Is this something that should just be ignored?

I try to fulfill match requests when I can, but from a game mechanic perspective, match requests have no impact on anything. It doesn't effect loyalty or morale or anything, to my knowledge.

All it is there is feedback from "fighter" to player that they feel that they are ready for X or Y kind of match. If you notice, hot winning streak fighters will request title shots, usually fighters on losing streaks will request "easy" fighters to help them recover.

Now, WHY they are requesting a match does have impact. As I said, fighters with high morale will request tougher opponents, fighters with weak morale will request weaker opponents to build themselves back up. So if you have a favorite who's requesting a weaker opponent, it might not be a good time to throw them into the toughest match of their life.

So, the actual fulfillment of a match request, to my knowledge, has no impact BUT fighters do request matches for a reason, and so following their advice will have an impact on the game.

Usually on my cards there's a couple slots for "random matches" that I use to fulfill match requests when I can. Otherwise, I ignore them.

One thing that you learn from training, let alone fighting, is that everyone gets hurt all the time. If you've dominated a fight, chances are you've been punching someone lots...using the kind of gloves that are used for MMA, you're gonna get hurt doing that. Same goes for grappling - 15 mins of hard grappling and you're going to pull something.

/nod. When you punch someone in the face, you're smacking your hand and knuckles against solid bone. In fact, aboslutely dominating a match can be half as bad as being on the pounding side.

It's all a liability issue, better to suspend and be on the safe side then risk lawsuits by clearing someone who shouldn't be cleared.

If they're cleared and get injured, heads are going to roll, but if they're suspended but are feeling fit, nobody is going to come after them in court.

How do you know if a fighter is a natural babyface/heel or not without using the editor?

No way, except as mentioned in bios. To my knowledge, there isn't any game impact except perhaps Natural Faces get a bonus to marketability while Natural Heels get a bonus to Menace during character creation, but otherwise I haven't seen anything about it...

There's also the way they comment in interviews when hyping a fight. This is for regenerated fighters without bios.

Also I think baby face and heels can be random. Setting aside guys like Sorkin and Stephens, I've had games where a generally silent character would suddenly go Sonnen and then other games where they are just normal interviewees.

Questions:

Do hypes lessen if the fight is preliminary?

How come CEOs sometimes have higher standards (lower pay allowed) for certain top profile fighters and other times would let the player go higher? (Dexter Darling gets up to 45k while Rick Stanley is only 20k)

How many leg kicks happen before the fighter's legs give out?

I have this guess that fulfilling match requests increases upsets, can anyone confirm?

How big of a negative effect is it if a fighter does not get a full training camp? Do prior fights influence anything? Like I've signed up Oleg Dorosklov who wants 8 weeks but because those 8 weeks his contract is still tied to Alpha-1 and so he lost 1 and a half weeks before being booked, does that account for him being less than 100%?

What are the requirements for fighters to want more fights in their contracts (especially past 5) ?

Not a chance. Each fight is calculated on its own merits.

Actually, there's a "cause and effect" question that needs to be addressed, bearing the above in mind: do fighters make match requests that are bad for their Win-Loss record?

That is, are we, as match-makers, generally making better matches for the fighters than they would make themselves? Do the fighters perhaps seek out better opponents than we would give them whilst they are on a winning streak?

After all, even if someone is unbeaten, we still feed them cans instead of complying with their requests to face certain other fighters or receive title shots.

Now, clearly that isn't a question that can be answered with a straightforward Yes or No, because it depends on the individual match-maker's policies and desires, but it IS possible that by fulfilling fighter's requests for matches we actually offer up better chances of them getting beaten than if we stuck to our own booking plans, even though each match is calculated on its individual merits.

I'm a complete computer amatuer so be patient but when i click for a spreadsheet i get a message ... 'Sorry, an unexpected error has occured while trying to access Excel, the spreadsheet view is unavailable' any idea why it would be unavailable? (I do have Excel).

According the help file no, it only covers match rating and fighter popularity. However getting higher match ratings helps you draw more people in for future events.

You will notice that you can optionally assign a Hype Level to each fight. There are two types; hyping the match or hyping a specific fighter. If you hype the match itself, you are essentially telling fans that it’s going to be an exciting contest. If the fight then lives up to expectations, you will be rewarded with a small bonus in terms of the match rating (the expectations and reward are both based on the level of hype - the more hype, the bigger they are). On the flip side, if the fight does not live up to expectations then the match rating will be even lower, simulating the fans’ disappointment. If you hype a specific fighter, you are telling the fans to expect him to not only win, but to do so in style. If he meets the expectations that the hype has created, he will gets boosts to his popularity and reputation; if he does not meet the expectations, he will get penalties. Hype levels are therefore a way of “gambling” on results and performances to deliver quicker boosts.

From what I can tell, here's how it works:

1) Fighters that are on win streaks and/or have high morale and/or are brash/driven will make requests to either fight

A) the champion if they're sufficiently high in the rankings

B) a great stepping stone if not

2) Fighters that have broken their win streaks but still have high morale will still make "aggressive" choices but otherwise usually request a lesser opponent that they are confident about beating, usually a can of some sort.

So, like I said before, when it comes to actual game mechanics there is no additional benefit/penalty to fulfilling/denying match requests. There is no hidden increased likelihood of upsets or loyalty factor or guarantee that the particular fight in question will be "better" then it would be if booked any other time.

IF that was the case, I'd say there would need to be a time requirement attached to it so you couldn't reap "benefit" 10 years down the road.

But there isn't, because there isn't.

It can make a decent guideline to when trying to decide who should be the next contender because you want your main event fights to be between two pumped, winning streak fighters.

Anyway, to repeat, there is no additional game mechanics coming into play concerning fight requests. Think of them more as fight "suggestions"

Archived