The Minor Questions Thread

I'm playing as SIGMA and I hit High Level Regional in November 1998. When I was mid level regional I was making anywhere between $14,000 and $19,000 per show in sponsorship. After I hit High Level, it's down to $8000-ish per show. I'm using the Steady setting for sponsorship (and have been all game) and it says at my size I should be making around $13,000 per show.

Any insight as to the decline?

My guess would be that even though as a promotion your popularity has heat high level regional, your fighters haven't, therefore they won't be able to sell the tickets a high level regional org should do.

But that's just a guess.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what effect does not making weight in non-title fights have? Any? Are fighters stronger/slower/get tired easier or harder? Or is it simply there for realistic purposes?

It has the same effect as any weight advantage; essentially they are slower but more powerful (obviously it's a bit more complex than that).

How much of a penalty does a promotion get from not having homegrown stars at national and above?

The reason I'm asking is that I started a womens promotion in Australia without realizing that no one in the default database would fit the bill. I'm a long way from national and I will likely add some fighters as the game progresses so I'm just curious.

What was the update to the database in the most recent patch?

It's just the database that shipped with the full game as far as I can tell. Seems like it was included for those people who upgraded from the demo to the full retail version of the game without downloading the full installer.

I just started a new game yesterday and was gonna do it again tonight with the "new" database... :-)

Bit of an explanation before the question. On my first GAMMA game, I got through about 8-9 months, booking one PPV per month. Did pretty well using the approach of having a competitive title fight on the main event of each show and a strong co main event between contenders. A couple more decent fights round out the main card, and then the undercard is the prospects and such. After reading a few things (including a more detailed read of the Help files), I'm rethinking things.

On the restart, I've started to sign a few pure cans. Not necessarily talentless guys, but ones who are unlikely to win when put against a decent opponent. I figure they make some nice wins for the prospects and even gimme wins for the most restablished guys who might need a pick-me-up. I dont' want to use overuse these guys, but I'm thinking they could be awfully helpful for some selective booking. I'm also considering upper level guys (top five in their given division) against lesser opponents (near the bottom of the divisional rankings). Its more Japanese-style booking than UFC, but I'm thinking a non-competitive fight could still intrigue fans so long as you aren't trying to sell the event with it.

Has anyone tried this approach and found success? Or does it make for a harder road than sticking with making more competitive match ups on a regular basis?

I just started a new game yesterday and was gonna do it again tonight with the "new" database... :-)

Bit of an explanation before the question. On my first GAMMA game, I got through about 8-9 months, booking one PPV per month. Did pretty well using the approach of having a competitive title fight on the main event of each show and a strong co main event between contenders. A couple more decent fights round out the main card, and then the undercard is the prospects and such. After reading a few things (including a more detailed read of the Help files), I'm rethinking things.

On the restart, I've started to sign a few pure cans. Not necessarily talentless guys, but ones who are unlikely to win when put against a decent opponent. I figure they make some nice wins for the prospects and even gimme wins for the most restablished guys who might need a pick-me-up. I dont' want to use overuse these guys, but I'm thinking they could be awfully helpful for some selective booking. I'm also considering upper level guys (top five in their given division) against lesser opponents (near the bottom of the divisional rankings). Its more Japanese-style booking than UFC, but I'm thinking a non-competitive fight could still intrigue fans so long as you aren't trying to sell the event with it.

Has anyone tried this approach and found success? Or does it make for a harder road than sticking with making more competitive match ups on a regular basis?

Just done pretty much the same thing actually, with regards to signing what are essentially jobbers.

First main event under my command will be Julio Regueiro vs Jack Humphreys for the GAMMA Welterweight Title. Should be a good match.

Also, how incredibly stacked is the middleweight division? Just.. wow.

Just done pretty much the same thing actually, with regards to signing what are essentially jobbers.

First main event under my command will be Julio Regueiro vs Jack Humphreys for the GAMMA Welterweight Title. Should be a good match.

Also, how incredibly stacked is the middleweight division? Just.. wow.

I don't see how using cans can hurt, at least s its not excessive...

And yeah, that MW division is lovely. It kinda opened my eyes when I was looking through the LW division in GAMMA last night and seeing how mediocre some of the mid level nad bottom guys are in that division compared to the strong ones. Its a stark difference.

It's maybe a little too effective?

I have a fair number of low national starts in my XCC game and am just constantly bouncing them off mid to low level cans. Pretty much anything I can get away with.

I get a can a couple of wins then let my main event tear them up. I'm guessing though this becomes less and less effective as a mid to high level regional can is probably a lot easier to make than an international can.

Do it if you can. I don't know at what point, popularity wise, I won't be able to get cans on my proper shows. When I can no longer get them on my shows I will ditch the approach as I don't want big names fighting on the prelims.

It also helps a lot with competitive credibility, especially with my LHW's where I have been purposely keeping most big fighters apart.

Well, I found out the downside to that approach. The first GAMMA show I ran that had a few of the can matches had two upsets. The guys that won weren't pure cans, so the upsets weren't monstrous but still not the results I've expected.

Beyond those two on the firsts how, it does work well. A few of them have ended very quick and received Great ratings. I would think that overuse of the approach is going to hurt the Competeitive Credability, but it seems an effective way of building up some prospects.

Well, I found out the downside to that approach. The first GAMMA show I ran that had a few of the can matches had two upsets. The guys that won weren't pure cans, so the upsets weren't monstrous but still not the results I've expected.

Beyond those two on the firsts how, it does work well. A few of them have ended very quick and received Great ratings. I would think that overuse of the approach is going to hurt the Competeitive Credability, but it seems an effective way of building up some prospects.

This (prospects-cans-contenders) is how I played in WMMA2, but in 3 it's much harder - fog of war means fights are less predictable, and the whole upset ratio has been dialled up significantly - even someone with truly atrocious stats has a decent chance of landing an upset. I'm really enjoying booking on the fly at the mo... I might go back to this plan but I got bored of cans upsetting guys I was sure were bonafide prospects. There's still a place for cans, but the line between can and contender is more smudged than it was in WMMA2, which, in my humble opinion, is a very good thing.

I might not fully understand competitive credibility yet, so I could be wrong in what I say here.

Having fighters thump cans in every fight will, short term, help your competitive credibility. My LHW division is the best example of it, the division has a competitive credibility rating of 62%, probably making it the strongest division in the world. Out of the top 15 ranked LHW's in the world I have 11 of them. Of course this has driven my whole companys competitive credibility to 44, well above the required for my company.

The problem with competitive credibility that I will face is when I decide to have those 11 all fight it out for the title, and 1 after 1 they all drop down/off the rankings. This will of course push my companies rating down, and the great competitive credibility that I built up will drop (potentially leading to penalties). Thatas the only problem, over reliance.

And I have only had 2 fights in my 1 year 10 months so far that went horribly wrong including cans. Aleksander Ivanov lost to Giovanni de Matos (but beat him twice in rematches) and Valentin Taneyev lost to Carlos dos Santos (but again won twice in rematches). I think the brazilians are trying to screw me over.

This (prospects-cans-contenders) is how I played in WMMA2, but in 3 it's much harder - fog of war means fights are less predictable, and the whole upset ratio has been dialled up significantly - even someone with truly atrocious stats has a decent chance of landing an upset. I'm really enjoying booking on the fly at the mo... I might go back to this plan but I got bored of cans upsetting guys I was sure were bonafide prospects. There's still a place for cans, but the line between can and contender is more smudged than it was in WMMA2, which, in my humble opinion, is a very good thing.

Definately a good thing. Luckily I know most my prospects very well now, so there is less chance of an upset (even though it turns out they are pretty much brilliant at everything.)

Having fighters thump cans in every fight will, short term, help your competitive credibility. My LHW division is the best example of it, the division has a competitive credibility rating of 62%, probably making it the strongest division in the world. Out of the top 15 ranked LHW's in the world I have 11 of them. Of course this has driven my whole companys competitive credibility to 44, well above the required for my company.

The problem with competitive credibility that I will face is when I decide to have those 11 all fight it out for the title, and 1 after 1 they all drop down/off the rankings. This will of course push my companies rating down, and the great competitive credibility that I built up will drop (potentially leading to penalties). Thatas the only problem, over reliance.

At the same time whoever emerges from the ashes is almost certainly going to be the #1 p4p fighter in the world and leave you with at least a few top 10 guys still.

I think my favorite part of the game is how hard it is to break into the top 10 without fighting another top 10 guy. A steady diet of cans is good for your mega prospects but your champ won't climb the rankings unless you give him some legit challengers. I'm not sure how reputation scales but at some point you have to throw your best fighters against each other because they're simply not gaining anything from fighting more gatekeepers.

If I hype a particular fight up and it doesn't deliver, does it take a larger rating hit? Because I just put huge amounts of hype behind Sammy Gaffigan vs. Philip Ziskie, and while Ziskie dominated, there weren't huge lull's in action and I got slammed with an abysmal rating.

Is it just me or do fighters seem to drop too far in the rankings after a loss? I get the massive drop if a fighter loses to a lower ranked or unranked opponent but I have seen fighters drop around 20 spots because of one loss to the top ranked fighter in the division.

For example, Kunimichi Kikuchi was ranked #3 in the world at heavyweight when he lost a fairly close decision to #1 ranked Hassan Fezzik. After the fight Kikuchi dropped all the way down to #21 in the division. This almost makes it seem like you are being punished for letting your top fighters fight each other.

If I hype a particular fight up and it doesn't deliver, does it take a larger rating hit? Because I just put huge amounts of hype behind Sammy Gaffigan vs. Philip Ziskie, and while Ziskie dominated, there weren't huge lull's in action and I got slammed with an abysmal rating.

Yep, that's how it works. Check the Help document, it says literally

"Hype levels are therefore a way of “gambling” on results and performances to deliver quicker boosts." and explains in the paragraph that if the fighter or fight "delivers" you get the boost, if not, you get punished (fans are let down).

First of all, I apologize if this question has been asked already been there's only so much digging I'm going to do until I ask myself.

How do any of you experienced WMMA players handle fighter suggestions for the next fight? Or more importantly, what criteria do you put into play as to if you may do the fight or not?

I believe I might know the answer because I've tested some out, and some challenges help in actually making future title matches and even solid co-main events but just wanted to know other people's opinions on this matter.

Archived