CBH: Render Thread

Here is something I thought might be quite cool, but I'll let you guys and girls judge.

Pounce

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx252/LoNdOn_BeAsT/TEW%20Dynasty/HeroShowcase1.jpg

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx252/LoNdOn_BeAsT/TEW%20Dynasty/HeroShowcase11.jpghttp://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx252/LoNdOn_BeAsT/TEW%20Dynasty/HeroShowcase12.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be the first to say it: I hope this game doesn't use renders. While that up there is a nice render, it really doesn't capture the "comic book feel" in my opinion... heck, I don't think the classic rendering style does in general. If renders are the direction, then they need to be highly stylized... but personally, I'd rather see a more comic book style approach to it. Especially with the basis of the game being "take a rookie to the top", most folks are going to be creating their own characters. And, lord knows, the rendering community is NOT going to want to make renders for absolutely everyone playing this game. Then again, no matter what image-style is chosen there's gonna be folks clamoring for others to give them free pictures.

Also, Wildcat is trademarked by DC. :p One of my favorite heroes out there.

Curious, will any of our resident renderers be playing around with camera angles?

Generally, straight-ahead facing the camera is the go-to angle for sports, but with comics where you're trying to sell what the character is all about, it's not uncommon to have shots from below, angling up (to make the character appear more noble, or simply to make them look larger), distortion of perspective for things like someone throwing a punch towards the camera, or dutch angles (tilting the camera angle, so the character appears slightly off, giving a sense of uncomfortable'ness), and so forth.

I'll be the first to say it: I hope this game doesn't use renders. While that up there is a nice render, it really doesn't capture the "comic book feel" in my opinion... heck, I don't think the classic rendering style does in general. If renders are the direction, then they need to be highly stylized... but personally, I'd rather see a more comic book style approach to it. Especially with the basis of the game being "take a rookie to the top", most folks are going to be creating their own characters. And, lord knows, the rendering community is NOT going to want to make renders for absolutely everyone playing this game. Then again, no matter what image-style is chosen there's gonna be folks clamoring for others to give them free pictures.

Of course, while I would love nothing more to have a hand-drawn art style, that would be a massive undertaking. 3D programs like Daz create somewhat of an even playing field for everyone, whereas traditional 2D art requires a fair bit of practice, experience, and time invested to churn out a good looking piece of art. And even then, comic art tends to be a collaboration of more than one person (pencils, inks, colors) unless they're multi-talented.

In the interests of keeping the community alive, 3D is probably the best bet. However, I agree that a stylized look would be quite fitting. The question is what exists out there for Daz that can do that? It would require either stylized morphs (I've seen some for females, but not males) or toon shaders to give that cel-shaded look, or both.

I wonder if someone from the development team could post an example of the style direction.

We will be posting an example or two in a week or two, once we have decided on a standard background for the default database.

I'll be the first to say it: I hope this game doesn't use renders. While that up there is a nice render, it really doesn't capture the "comic book feel" in my opinion...

The FAQ already confirms that renders are being used. I don't see any viable alternatives, having them hand drawn would be too expensive, too slow, and would be even less able to respond to requests.

This is not something I made for this game, rather an image I made a while back as an experiment with water effects.

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p366/celdom/Full/file_2058737.jpg

Yay. Superheroes/villains.

Right until I got down to the chest, I would have put cash money on that being a girl. Hair. Nails. Name. :)

Good render. I dig it.

Thanks man. It is difficult to think of superhero names that haven't been used already

Wow, a render thread already! Looking good London. Maybe a bit more shadow on his face if you want him to look real evil, but that's just being nitpicky. (Course if you want him as a rugged super hero, then it's perfect!)

I was going for the latter fortunately. :)

Also, Wildcat is trademarked by DC. :p One of my favorite heroes out there.

Oh poop

We will be posting an example or two in a week or two, once we have decided on a standard background for the default database.

Not to beat a dead horse (okay, yes it is to beat a dead horse; you got me), but let me echo my plea for a simple background that doesn't distract from the character and won't clash with whatever range of colors people decide to use for their colorful superheroes (or clash with whatever user-created skin theme they use, if that's part of the feature base ;)).

Okay, the horse is buried now :)

The FAQ already confirms that renders are being used. I don't see any viable alternatives, having them hand drawn would be too expensive, too slow, and would be even less able to respond to requests.

Woops, guess I missed that. But, makes sense I supposse.

Well, then I ask the render makers to stylize the hell out of them. Self's image up there is pretty sweet, actually, for instance.

But the renders should definetly have a different feel to them than your typical WMMA or TEW render. Sorta like the 1970s C-Verse as compared to the default C-Verse. That would make me a happy panda.

In the interests of keeping the community alive, 3D is probably the best bet. However, I agree that a stylized look would be quite fitting. The question is what exists out there for Daz that can do that? It would require either stylized morphs (I've seen some for females, but not males) or toon shaders to give that cel-shaded look, or both.

Realistically, DAZ/Poser is going to be the only viable option (as Adam has already confirmed) in order to churn out the quantity and allow as many people to contribute as possible - there's no point having an original set of images that nobody else can replicate or expand upon.

As for the images being more stylised or drawn. Well, there are several comicbook-style filters and plugins for Photoshop, so I suspect the best method would be to do the basic render (say take London's) and then take it into photoshop/paintshop for postwork. I think that would be your best bet as opposed to trying to create that effect through DAZ alone.

Here are the two I have done in a cartoony style:

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx252/LoNdOn_BeAsT/TEW%20Dynasty/HeroShowcase13.jpghttp://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx252/LoNdOn_BeAsT/TEW%20Dynasty/HeroShowcase22.jpg

Here are the two I have done in a cartoony style:

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx252/LoNdOn_BeAsT/TEW%20Dynasty/HeroShowcase13.jpghttp://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx252/LoNdOn_BeAsT/TEW%20Dynasty/HeroShowcase22.jpg

Aye, that's along the lines of what I was thinking. Pounce looks, to quote Nedew, "bloody brilliant". Course I'm a Texan, so I don't say bloody unless it's describing how I want my steak (kidding, more of a medium man myself).

But yeah, that's along my thought process. Dunno what other filters are out there, though, so if someone else has another way of handling it, wouldn't mind seeing it. After all, not like all comic books are drawn in the exact same style. :)

Realistically, DAZ/Poser is going to be the only viable option (as Adam has already confirmed) in order to churn out the quantity and allow as many people to contribute as possible - there's no point having an original set of images that nobody else can replicate or expand upon.

As for the images being more stylised or drawn. Well, there are several comicbook-style filters and plugins for Photoshop, so I suspect the best method would be to do the basic render (say take London's) and then take it into photoshop/paintshop for postwork. I think that would be your best bet as opposed to trying to create that effect through DAZ alone.

Mmm, I have had success to a certain degree changing renders to a comic book look while getting pictures for Mortal Kombat characters. Usually involves altering the Levels (Ctrl-L, my new best friend), removing the smooth gradients of shadows by way of crushing the blacks, and then applying a line stroke around the image. It's very trial and error, and what works for one doesn't always work for another unfortunately :/

Hmm. How much free stuff is out there for DAZ? I used it once a while ago without any tutorials or much thought/practice but I'm thinking of redownloading it on my PC and giving it a more indepth chance.

There's a ton of free content out there now (ShareCG, Renderosity, etc), although as always you'll need some non-freebies to do anything much - face/body morphs, a decent texture or two, etc to get started.

Here is something I thought might be quite cool, but I'll let you guys and girls judge.

Pounce

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx252/LoNdOn_BeAsT/TEW%20Dynasty/HeroShowcase12.jpg

i knew that face looked familiar http://s.nt1.tv/mmdia/i/74/8/joshua-dark-angel-10130748mkaoj_1859.png?v=1 its joshua from Dark Angel

Here's an attempt I made with Pounce (if you don't mind London)

http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll327/crayotic/Pouncetest.jpg

Probably looks a bit evil'er now, but was the best I could do :/

I must admit I prefer this to the DAZ output (great renders though LoNdOn!). Will be interesting to see what Adam has planned in terms of background and style.

Here's an attempt I made with Pounce (if you don't mind London)

Probably looks a bit evil'er now, but was the best I could do :/

How very dare you!!!! :p;)

Whatever works best for Adam is fine by me.

Oh I can also play around on photoshop so that my characters look to have been done in different styles if needed.

Archived