[RELEASE] The Main Event: Feb 1988 RW Historical Mod

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Matt, have you had a chance to used any of the tv logos from the link I provided a few weeks back?

I have in fact. Found an old logo for KXTX 39(which had World Class' Sunday afternoon show, World Class Championship Wrestling), and found some good logos from that time period for KTXA 21 and KTVT 11. ^_^

So how you doing with this mod?

Took a break from it for a few days because I had to do some writing for a show at my e-fed. I thought it was just another show, but apparently it's very important because people see it as our WrestleMania. :p

I'm going to get back on it tomorrow. WWF, I'd say, is near completion, and I'm about to get started on the NWA. I figured that since nobody really called it JCP, and since the belts it had were referred to as NWA this and NWA that(heck, even the TV shows were called NWA Worldwide and NWA Pro Wrestling, not JCP Worldwide and JCP Pro Wrestling), I figured it'd just be easier to do it this way, and have WCW as a company that'll open later.

Took a break from it for a few days because I had to do some writing for a show at my e-fed. I thought it was just another show, but apparently it's very important because people see it as our WrestleMania. :p

I'm going to get back on it tomorrow. WWF, I'd say, is near completion, and I'm about to get started on the NWA. I figured that since nobody really called it JCP, and since the belts it had were referred to as NWA this and NWA that(heck, even the TV shows were called NWA Worldwide and NWA Pro Wrestling, not JCP Worldwide and JCP Pro Wrestling), I figured it'd just be easier to do it this way, and have WCW as a company that'll open later.

Actually that's what I change JCP to every time I play them in the Golden Age mod. Because at that time they pretty much were the NWA. How much later is the question with WCW. If you have say potential founders mandatory and put Ted Turner as the Potential owner, but have him under written contract with the NWA. This will stop WCW from opening until he is released. If don't believe me go to the editor and look at companies and click the question mark and read it on potential founders.

I'll probably just set WCW's founders to preferred, if nothing else. But I may never figure that out because some people here who just want to start flamewars over how mods should be set up and just want to keep arguing with me(they know who they are) are really taking the winds out of my sails. :rolleyes:

They forget this rule that's clearly stated by Adam:

2 - Play nice. Positive feedback is always well received. Constructive criticism can be useful. Bashing other people's mods or constantly moaning about what you think stats should be (they're subjective, get over it) just makes the whole forum a little less pleasant to be in and has led to far too many arguments over the years. Mod makers are doing it for free and for their own enjoyment, try and respect that. But most importantly, try and remember that I've had to listen to the same repetitive arguments in the mods forum over and over again for about a decade, and I'm really bored of having to moderate it. Therefore if you must argue, at least try and be entertaining - for example, making your argument in the form of a haiku, or setting it to music.

I want to give a big thank you to Alvarasus for giving me encouragement and helping me put things into perspective as it regards the negativity of some peeps. :)

I think it's just best from here on out for me not to post my thoughts/opinions on anything as it regards to the game, and just stick to menial posts with no negative consequences such as asking a question in the Small Questions thread, giving updates on this mod, etc. :cool:

I want to give a big thank you to Alvarasus for giving me encouragement and helping me put things into perspective as it regards the negativity of some peeps. :)

I think it's just best from here on out for me not to post my thoughts/opinions on anything as it regards to the game, and just stick to menial posts with no negative consequences such as asking a question in the Small Questions thread, giving updates on this mod, etc. :cool:

I hope the latter paragraph was just sarcasm. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and thoughts, and entitled to air them. Just because someone doesn't agree with them doesn't mean it's not valid. As regards to the gimmick thread, your opinion isn't "wrong", as nor is mine or Soxfan's. They are just different, and if you ask me, make for great debate.

If you were someone who wrote an illiterate two sentance argument I probably wouldn't care, but since you're someone who can quite clearly form a real good argument (in the debating sense, not in the fighting sense), there's no reason why you should bottle your opinions up.

This forum would be one Hell of a boring place if we all conformed to the same opinions and everything was uniform. It's these kind of debates that keep the forums alive. And to bring it back to the way you want to handle gimmicks in your mod, well it's your mod, do it as you wish. If you want to make unique gimmicks for workers then so be it. It doesn't break the game, although I'll still be of the opinion it's unneeded, I'll still play it and no doubt enjoy it, and appreciate that someone has taken the time to create what I am playing.

I just think its important that you remember that as well as you're entitled to vent or air an opinion, so are other people. What's of the utmost importence is that everyone shows respect.

I hope the latter paragraph was just sarcasm. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and thoughts, and entitled to air them. Just because someone doesn't agree with them doesn't mean it's not valid. As regards to the gimmick thread, your opinion isn't "wrong", as nor is mine or Soxfan's. They are just different, and if you ask me, make for great debate.

If you were someone who wrote an illiterate two sentance argument I probably wouldn't care, but since you're someone who can quite clearly form a real good argument (in the debating sense, not in the fighting sense), there's no reason why you should bottle your opinions up.

This forum would be one Hell of a boring place if we all conformed to the same opinions and everything was uniform. It's these kind of debates that keep the forums alive. And to bring it back to the way you want to handle gimmicks in your mod, well it's your mod, do it as you wish. If you want to make unique gimmicks for workers then so be it. It doesn't break the game, although I'll still be of the opinion it's unneeded, I'll still play it and no doubt enjoy it, and appreciate that someone has taken the time to create what I am playing.

I just think its important that you remember that as well as you're entitled to vent or air an opinion, so are other people. What's of the utmost importence is that everyone shows respect.

And that's what initially upset me about Soxfan's last post before I lashed out at him because I just couldn't take how I felt a number of his opinionated posts came off as disrespectful.

Ignore Sox Matt, if you go through his posts that is how the majority of them are, I for one can't wait for this and hope to see some great work, since right now my current most played mod is the 1989 one, this one should be a great companion peace to it. Also hopefully it will allow me to splice in some future promotions in to that one, since there aren't a lot

At any rate don't let the negativity get to you, you aren't doing it for them, your doing it for those of us who will enjoy the mod, and not tear you down because it isn't just how we want it, screw whoever else.

So far it sounds like you will put out a mod that while very close to simulating reality won't take away from playability and that my friend is a good thing.

Ignore Sox Matt, if you go through his posts that is how the majority of them are, I for one can't wait for this and hope to see some great work, since right now my current most played mod is the 1989 one, this one should be a great companion peace to it. Also hopefully it will allow me to splice in some future promotions in to that one, since there aren't a lot

At any rate don't let the negativity get to you, you aren't doing it for them, your doing it for those of us who will enjoy the mod, and not tear you down because it isn't just how we want it, screw whoever else.

So far it sounds like you will put out a mod that while very close to simulating reality won't take away from playability and that my friend is a good thing.

'Preciate ya, pal. ^_^

And big thanks to Adam for pointing out that good ol' Ignore button. I wasn't sure about it before he told me about it because I figured it would just keep antagonists from PMing me, but I see that it keeps me from seeing their posts. :D

Anyway, I'll be getting back to work on this mod later this evening. :cool:

Regarding WCW, is the aim of them being a separate company simply to simulate them being taken over by Ted Turner? If so, rather than having a separate company (and therefore separate rosters/lineages etc.), why not put in a narrative that amounts to "Ted Turner takes over Jim Crockett Promotions" and give the company a financial boost. Add a sentence or two to the narrative explaining to players that if they want to, they could add a new player as Ted Turner, take over Jim Crockett Promotions, and then leave the game. They can, of course, rename the company in the in-game editor (regardless of whether they both having Billionaire Ted take over).

Perhaps its a bit long winded for some players, but that's how I'd do it. It might look a bit odd having WCW and JCP open at the same time.

Regarding WCW, is the aim of them being a separate company simply to simulate them being taken over by Ted Turner? If so, rather than having a separate company (and therefore separate rosters/lineages etc.), why not put in a narrative that amounts to "Ted Turner takes over Jim Crockett Promotions" and give the company a financial boost. Add a sentence or two to the narrative explaining to players that if they want to, they could add a new player as Ted Turner, take over Jim Crockett Promotions, and then leave the game. They can, of course, rename the company in the in-game editor (regardless of whether they both having Billionaire Ted take over).

Perhaps its a bit long winded for some players, but that's how I'd do it. It might look a bit odd having WCW and JCP open at the same time.

I can't believe I didn't think about that, and I seem to recall Genadi doing something similar with his narratives in his mods. Alvarasus had similar ideas. Great minds think alike! :D

So that said, should I even call JCP the NWA? I don't remember that many, if any, NWA territories there were by 1988 other than JCP. Of course, I was 7 then. :p

I can't believe I didn't think about that, and I seem to recall Genadi doing something similar with his narratives in his mods. Alvarasus had similar ideas. Great minds think alike! :D

So that said, should I even call JCP the NWA? I don't remember that many, if any, NWA territories there were by 1988 other than JCP. Of course, I was 7 then. :p

It works even better in 2013, because you can use the Add Player feature to change the ownership of a company which obviously you couldn't do in 2010.

I'd use the NWA as an alliance, and keep JCP as JCP. That way future promotions can join the NWA, players creating new companies can join the NWA etc.

It works even better in 2013, because you can use the Add Player feature to change the ownership of a company which obviously you couldn't do in 2010.

I'd use the NWA as an alliance, and keep JCP as JCP. That way future promotions can join the NWA, players creating new companies can join the NWA etc.

I'm in favor of this if this is what the majority of players think would be most ideal. :cool:

In doing my research, I can't seem find any other territories that were under the NWA umbrella other than Jim Crockett Promotions in February 1988. If anyone knows whether or not there were others, feel free to let me know. otherwise, it looks like JCP will be the only company under the NWA alliance to start.

In doing my research, I can't seem find any other territories that were under the NWA umbrella other than Jim Crockett Promotions in February 1988. If anyone knows whether or not there were others, feel free to let me know. otherwise, it looks like JCP will be the only company under the NWA alliance to start.

That might be problematic. I think that alliances automatically shut down when they only have one member (I may be wrong though).

When did CMLL leave? Wikipedia just says 1980s.

Looks like Pacific Northwest were still in the NWA in 1988 - wikipedia claims that in 1987 Don Owen was "the only remaining member of the original NWA group" and that they didn't leave until 1992.

That might be problematic. I think that alliances automatically shut down when they only have one member (I may be wrong though).

When did CMLL leave? Wikipedia just says 1980s.

Looks like Pacific Northwest were still in the NWA in 1988 - wikipedia claims that in 1987 Don Owen was "the only remaining member of the original NWA group" and that they didn't leave until 1992.

And looking at the alliance members that Genadi had in the Golden Age mod, there was also AJW and AJPW.

NJPW, AJPW, and CMLL where in during the mid 80s but don't know when they pulled out exact, since JCP sold to Turner in November, have you considered moving the date up to that point? As it would remove the headache of trying to figure out if you should put WCW as a promotion or have a narrative to alert the user, or something of that sort

All-Japan 1986

New Japan 1985 in January they were doing shows with the WWF in 1985. I had to hunt that one down because Hogan doesn't appear on any shows in early January in the United States.

CMLL stop being a member in 1980

It would remove the headache of calling it JCP but not the NWA problem. Because WCW stayed with the NWA until September of 1993.

Thanks for the info, guys. Another possibility that I have thought of is putting in a narrative stating that JCP has been bought by Ted Turner, though it would be more along the lines of the story stating that he's going to let those in power make the decisions and he's simply going to be the money guy, because if I'm not mistaken, that's pretty much all he did. Sure, he hired/fired bookers, but I don't seem to recall him putting too many owner goals in place on them other than no blood on TBS programming(which I think was more of a network thing anyway). Maybe not even put Ted Turner into the game, just have the narrative basically put more money into JCP, and add a note like Genadi does telling gamers that they can change the name from JCP to WCW in the in-game editor.

That would work, the only ting then would be the media company connection, though those can be a hassle anyway. Turner was mainly the money guy and WCW was own by his company, so the owner could be seen as who ever was in charge at the time, much like Jim Herd was the president of WCW but wasn't the booker, though he did have influence on booking decisions. Bill Watts and Eric Bishoff where both president and booker, and Flair and Dusty switched booking back and forth for awhile but not sure who the president was at that time.

That would work, the only ting then would be the media company connection, though those can be a hassle anyway. Turner was mainly the money guy and WCW was own by his company, so the owner could be seen as who ever was in charge at the time, much like Jim Herd was the president of WCW but wasn't the booker, though he did have influence on booking decisions. Bill Watts and Eric Bishoff where both president and booker, and Flair and Dusty switched booking back and forth for awhile but not sure who the president was at that time.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I was thinking of not having WCW owned by the Turner networks because of the aforementioned hassles. I could have Jim Herd as the potential owner, and Bill Watts and Eric Bischoff as potential bookers.

Also, I'm using Solie.org for the WWF and JCP(listed as NWA) rosters. I'm guessing places such as Cagematch would be good for other rosters such as AWA, World Class, etc? And lastly, is there a good place for finding who were heels and faces for the other companies that I may not have watched as much, if at all(basically, heel and face listings)?

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I was thinking of not having WCW owned by the Turner networks because of the aforementioned hassles. I could have Jim Herd as the potential owner, and Bill Watts and Eric Bischoff as potential bookers.

Also, I'm using Solie.org for the WWF and JCP(listed as NWA) rosters. I'm guessing places such as Cagematch would be good for other rosters such as AWA, World Class, etc? And lastly, is there a good place for finding who were heels and faces for the other companies that I may not have watched as much, if at all(basically, heel and face listings)?

Hmm.. Youtube and Dailymotion type in the wrestler name and see if you can find a match during that time period and the announcers will pretty much tell you if you listen close enough. In Japan most foreigners were heels with some exceptions. If you can't find it send me a pm I will see what I can find for you.

Hmm.. Youtube and Dailymotion type in the wrestler name and see if you can find a match during that time period and the announcers will pretty much tell you if you listen close enough. In Japan most foreigners were heels with some exceptions. If you can't find it send me a pm I will see what I can find for you.

I did think about that too, watching on Youtube/Dailymotion. :D

Archived