What's Going on in YOUR Game?

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm about to play my first normal game. I played a sim one and a reality TV show. In the reality TV one, the final four (which is as far as you can go in the trial was Ken Peters, Kendall Tracey, Lawrence Herringbone and Marlon John. I had 7 unknowns, but none of them made it to the semi-finals.

Trying to jumpstart a Featherweight division in GAMMA and will use the reality shows to do so...but not before 2 guys I planned on being major players agreed to take fights before signing with me.

The worst part is Lamont Banner is about to fight a local guy

Yea, I'm definitely had that issue too. I'm glad that people are staying busy when they aren't signed to a big promotion, but if I choose to sign a fighter then he should get out of that local fight.

Big time mark out moment. I just had Moss Gilbert knockout Nicholas Bretton with a punch that also broke his hand

In the words of Jason Voorhees from South Park: That's super hardcore!

I had an upset in my first main event on my first show as Rav Kapur beat James Foster for the heavyweight title with a KO punch in the fourth round. Foster only got him on the ground one time and almost got the win with ground strikes. The round ended before Foster could put him away and I think it was the 3rd round before the KO too. It was fight of the night and KO of the night, obviously. :D

Is anybody else finding it too easy to sign big stars from other companies? In the matter of two days I signed both Carlos de Guia and Tadamasa Yamada as GAMMA with ALPHA-1 not putting up much of a fight even though they have nearly 5 times as much money as me. Does company heat have anything to do with those decisions or are they purely financial?

Anyway, I'm having a good time as GAMMA. Created a new featherweight division, signed the top ranked fighters in the division and put them in a reality show (except Li-Kong Ho, who rejected the idea due to his name already being established). Philip Ziskie is getting hugely over due to his entertainment ability. My best fight so far has been Maarten de Vries upsetting Sutton Ripley by UD - it was rated fantastic as so many of de Vries' fights have been in past games. Pretty cool how he also decided to get scar tissue removed during his recovery time.

Overall, really awesome game much like WMMA 3. Little concerned with how easy it was to sign 2 of the competition's best fighters away. However, I LOVE how Adam has given us some ability to check for skill distribution in the editor. We can now see rankings of each skill and how they're spread out (9 characters having heart in between 90 and 100%, 21 having heart in between 80 and 89%, etc.). Great feature and I hope this makes it into the next TEW.

I've got an XCC game that I plan to start hammering through soon (I've pretty much just gone over the roster so far) and when I found you had to be National or higher for a Reality Show, I made a quick GAMMA game to try it. I did a Lightweight one out of complete unknowns and I think I got a few prospects.

For some reason 80% of my fights involves:

- good strike from fighter #1

- fighter #2 is on wobbly legs / stumbles back

- fighter #1 attempts guillotine and pulls #2 to the ground

There are anywhere between 4 to 8 guillotine finishes per event, with many more failed attempts in almost all fights. Interestingly I've not seen nearly as many takedowns as WMMA3 either.

For some reason 80% of my fights involves:

- good strike from fighter #1

- fighter #2 is on wobbly legs / stumbles back

- fighter #1 attempts guillotine and pulls #2 to the ground

There are anywhere between 4 to 8 guillotine finishes per event, with many more failed attempts in almost all fights. Interestingly I've not seen nearly as many takedowns as WMMA3 either.

Has a lot to do with the skills of the fighters in default database. I think if fighter 1 has better submission skills than fighter two a lot of the time they'll go for subs at odd times. There was a lot of knock down / dive on top and spin for an armbar in wmma3. I see a lot less of that stuff in my mod though.

Made a little mod for myself and started that up today. It's basically just the Modern Warriors 2009 mod that Tag uploaded, but I rewound it using the mod maker tools and set the start date to January 1997 (I would've done '93, but there weren't enough real fighters in the mod debuting that early to keep it interesting, so I retcon'd real life and made the early promotions like the UFC, Shooto, and Pancrase all open at that time).

In my first year, Josh Barnett has absolutely DOMINATED. I've only got one division so far, in true dark age fashion, and Barnett has just ruled it with an iron fist. I had him fight Dan Bobish in my very first main event for the title. I figured Barnett was more skilled, but I thought Bobish's wrestling and pure size might give Josh problems, since Bobish weighed in at over 300 lbs. Not even close. Barnett picked him apart on the feet brutally and KO'd him clean in 1:04. Walked away with KO of the Night honors.

Next event, I put him in there against Travis Fulton (who managed to tap out Mark Kerr to earn his title shot). Once again, Barnett just puts on a striking clinic, wobbles Fulton, slaps on the guillotine, and calls it a day. Took a total of 1:27.

Third event, Justin McCully. McCully beat Gary Goodridge in a razor close decision, so I figured this might be a bit of a feeder fight for Barnett...but at this point, I'm fine with that. He's turning into a mega-star, easily the most popular guy on my roster and at only 19 years old, I have high hopes for him to be my poster boy for years to come. McCully actually gave Josh a pretty hard fight. He took him down and laid in his guard the first round, peppering Josh with shots here and there. Second round comes, first time Barnett's been there. I'm worried at this point. McCully sticks to the gameplan, takes Josh down again. Starts throwing some shoulder strikes into Barnett's face. Postures up just a little too much on one of them and BAM, Josh slaps on a lightning quick Russian armbar for the tap.

Fourth fight, Alex Andrade. Andrade isn't anyone too tough, but I was running out of viable challengers at this point, and he just came off a win over Dennis Hallman by guillotine, so I threw him in there. Barnett, predictably, beats him up, locks in another guillotine after working him over on the feet, gets Sub and Fight of the Night honors.

End of the year card. I've found a generated prospect named Layne Manna that looks like a killer. Snagged him up when I saw his physical stats. 23 years old, 6'9, 330 lbs. Just a monstrous dude. Earlier in the year I put him in there against Tank Abbott to see how he'd handle a brawl. He wrestled Tank to the floor and smashed his head in for a TKO in the first. I knew it was quick to put him in there with The Babyface Assassin after just one fight, but it was so impressive and this guy is just SO big that I had to try it out. Now, I'd noticed through my scouting that Barnett is particularly weak in the striking portion of the clinch. No one had got him there yet, and I thought this might be his achilles heel.

First round comes. They're trading blows on the feet and I'm holding my breath. Josh hits like a truck, but no one's tested his chin yet, and Manna was catching him here and there. Not anywhere close to outboxing Barnett, but with a guy that big it only takes one good punch to end the night. Manna gets sick of eating punches and locks up the clinch. Uh oh. Starts really roughing Josh up with his dirty boxing. Uppercuts, short hooks, knees. Bullies Barnett into the fence and keeps it up. I'm expecting Josh to wilt, but he manages to survive the round, despite spending half of it locked up in that clinch. Second round comes. Barnett plays it a bit more cautious, keeps his distance and throws lots of straight punches. Looks really good. Eats some shots, but nothing major, and he's definitely outboxing Manna. Easily wins the 2nd round. Third round comes, Barnett starts closing the distance more and starts landing some serious combos. Two and three punches at a time, just peppering Manna. Eventually a strong right straight lands, Manna stumbles back, and Josh locks in his patented guillotine to finish the year 5-0, all title fights. Sub and Fight of the Night honors again. You earned it, champ.

Other notables:

Randy Couture is climbing the ranks and will probably challenge for the title soon. Should be a fun fight. Frank Trigg is another recent signing that's been doing well. 1998 should see me debut a smaller weight class where I could see him ending up champ. Both Bobish and McCully have been clawing their way back up as well, we might see a rematch if they keep up their rolls.

Dan Severn fought in my very first event against Alex Andrade. Andrade was working him the first two rounds. In between the 2nd and 3rd, the fight engine tells me that Severn is slumped on his stool, staring at the ground. You can tell he's mentally broken. He loses the decision and immediately retires in his post-fight interview. Apparently in my game world, Severn just isn't cut out for this fighting stuff. I immediately hired him as a color commentator, though, and he's been calling fights for me all year. Love that addition, made me feel less sorry for the guy. :p

Running GAMMA I made a reality TV show with Heavyweights. Chuck Dooley and Sly Twinge are set to fight in the finals after eliminating among others: Nate McReary, Guy Broom, Wilson Franklyn, Steve Mason and Sylvester Collins. I am very shocked that Twinge went that far.

I have a small criticism in that I think the game is a little too easy. I've taken XCC to the high end of low-level national before the end of the year (from 30% regional) and am making massive amounts of money.

No other details because I'm doing a diary (see the Diary forum :p) except to say that the won't sign an exclusive contract for six months after signing a standard deal is annoying.

Finally got to spend a bit of time with the full game. It feels a bit weird, because I spent a lot of time in the beta but couldn't really play a game of any real length. So now its nice to actually be able to play.

Started up with GAMMA, as usual. Signed a whole bunch of new talent, as usual. Added featherweight and bantamweight divisions, as usual.

I typically sign a couple of prospects and a few cans for each division, outside of the new ones that have to be stocked. Went a bit overboard, as so many employed fighters don't have exclusive deals, so you can steal a lot of the stars from XCC, KMFDC, etc. And I kinda went too far with that. Most of them have very little to not popularity in the US, so they need to be built up. That's not hard to do, but it gets burdensome if its a whole bunch of them that require it.

I started running a reality show to stock the featherweight division. A few of the fighters look to have potential quality to them. But I started it before I signed the new talent for the division, so its all created fighters. Not problematic, beyond they are all starting at 0-0.

First PPV went as expected, with no real upsets. Foster downed Sharp. I do really like that outcomes are less predictable on 4. On 3, if you ran certain fights, you knew how they would play out almost every time. For example, I would almost always use Foster vs Hughes as my first PPV main event and it would end up with Hughes winning 9 times out of 10. Now, its not as predictable. I love that.

I'll probably start over, just to redo the divisions. I'll be a bit more picky on who I poach for established stars. And I'll start a reality show for the featherweight division once I have signed a few estblished fighters, so I can throw a few guys on there to get them easy popularity bumps, as well as get a few generated fighters to stock the rest of the division.

So much about this game feels more refined. From the contract delegation to the reality shows. Love this game a lot.

I have a small criticism in that I think the game is a little too easy. I've taken XCC to the high end of low-level national before the end of the year (from 30% regional) and am making massive amounts of money.

No other details because I'm doing a diary (see the Diary forum :p) except to say that the won't sign an exclusive contract for six months after signing a standard deal is annoying.

I had the same issue with the huge popularity gains. I took GAMMA to high level national after 5 shows and 1 Featherweight reality TV show. The problem with this was that it was very difficult to find main events and main card fights for my shows as most of the roster did not have the required popularity for a high level company.

I decided to can that game and started another with Alpha-1. This time I want the growth to be organic so I have restricted my growth to mid level national for now. Before I started the game I generated a whole divison of flyweights across the world plus some extra bantamweights, featherweights and super heavyweights so that each weight class had roughly the same number of fighters.

I have yet to play past 1 day as I have spent so much time carefully scouring the game world and signing a mixtue of veterans and young prospects to fill out my Lightweight to Super Heavyweight Divisions. After 3 or 4 shows I am planning on running a reality TV show to help me create a new Featherweight division and in the future I may add a flyweight and bantamweight division and maybe even a women's divison (s)! Having lots of fun with this, it's a great improvement to an already awesome series of games!

Lot harder to make main eventers than before.

I think quantity may be more important than quality in divisions as fights get a boost to hype for ranking and title.

I'm spamming events and spammed low level fighters. But still haven't made any new stars. Those poor fighters like to play spoiler though...

Archived