I want to create a cartoony type federation similar to early/mid 90's WWF but with the volume turned right up.

The problem is I am useless when it comes to creativity so can never think of some really outlandish gimmicks. All I ever come up with is:

Patriot, Rich Businessman, Voodoo Chief

Then my mind starts to wander and I lose track a bit.

Any help would be great! (Accompanying names would be awesome too!)

So on the back of the above, you lot have been massively helpful. Hopefully we can keep this going. A great piece of advice is to take inspiration from TV, movies, books and even music to get character traits that could them be applied to a over the top gimmick.

EDIT: Here is a list compiled so far by you great people :)

Bad High School Athletic Coach

Barber/Crazed Barber

British Nobleman

Cocky/Grizzled Veteran

Comrade

Dancing Fool

Dastardly Heel

Disco/Party/Rave Lover

Escaped Prisoner

Evil Clown

Fitness Obsessive

French Ambassador

Gladiator

Goth

Heavy Metal Fan

High Flying Hippie - Name: Jimmy The High Flying Hippie

Hillbilly

Homeless Guy - Name: Soup Can Sam

Hostorocal Warriors e.g. Knight, Viking, Samurai etc.

Hot Dog Vendor - Vernon The Hot Dog Vendor

Magical

Man Scout

Manimal e.g. Birdman, Python/Cobra/Viper etc.

Military

Mobster

Mythilogic Creature e.g. Fairy, Mantaur etc.

Ninja

Noir Detective

Obsessed Fan

Opera Singer/Pop Star

Otaku (Manga/Anime Obsessive)

Out of Touch Pop/Youth Culture

Patriot/Hometown Hero

Pirate

Punk

Ravishing

Rich Businessman

Royalty

Southern Belle Snob

Southern Colonel

Superhero

Surfer Boy

Trash Man

Tribal Savage

Vampire

Vigelante e.g. The Crow

Voodoo Chief

Waiting Staff - Team Name: The Servers

Wannabee Rapper

Some absolutely great ideas there!

Some options i thought i 5 minute.

hillibilly

Surfer boy

heavy metal fan

disco/party lover

Some arrogant anti american (always works in usa) - a french ambassador- A british queen servant ( even a noble can work) - a comrade

Pirate

fitness obsessed

A suppose to be sexiest man alive

You can also think about a lot of "manimals" (the beast of the east/moondog/dog (junkyard dog)/bird (koko b. Ware)

Ninja

A supposed to be king

I've always wanted to do an obsessed paparazzo gimmick who stalks the superstars of the promotion and eventually fights them. So there's that for an idea.

As for a name: I don't know, maybe Frankie Flashlight? But be careful, a small spelling mistake in the last name may turn away some of your younger audience. :p

A character that someone created at an e-fed I used to be in, and was featured in Fleisch's Millenium mod, Vernon the Hot Dog Vendor. Basically an oh so evil hot dog vendor who sprays various condiments such as ketchup, mustard, spicy mustard, mayo, you name it, at his opponents when the ref isn't looking. May even spill condiments on the audience to make them mad. :D

While on the subject of food based characters, a tag team that some former co-workers (back when I used to wait tables) and I thought would be hilariously bad would be a tag team of waiters or waitresses who come out, dressed in full uniform and carrying a tray of food and/or drinks. They "accidentally" spill the contents onto fans, berate them for being picky about their food and/or drinks, maybe even smash their opponents with the tray. The team would be known as "The Servers." :p

I usually run a cartoony/comedy women's product in the USA, so.

I typically have such things as (note many of these have already been covered, but...):

Top Babyfaces:

Hometown Hero (usually several) (works great for my small promotion tastes, in a larger company Patriot is probably a decent alternative)

Opera Singer/Pop Star. Always a fun one for me, especially for the angles of them singing their promos or their own entrance music.

Superhero. Yeah, that's a pretty good one for a cartoony product.

Standard Wholesome Babyface. Fan Favorite generally works pretty well to make generically cheerable people.

Leading Heels:

a Scarlett O'Hara-type Southern Belle/Snob. In a men's promotion, that could make a decent manager gimmick, or it could be replace with a Southern Colonel-type gimmick. (or both)

A mobster. (the self-proclaimed "Queen of Chicago", ever feuding with the "Hometown Hero" babyfaces)

Goth/Vampire/Punk. Plenty outlandish to most straight laced folks, typically fun for the silly names you can come up with.

Cocky veteran. Pretty standard, easy to get over, and can give a good rub to up-and-comers if booked properly.

For both:

Animals. These can be literal or more figurative (like a street gang of generic toughs), i typically run animal-themed stables, giving the members names that reflect the theme. (e.g. "The Serpents", "Python", "Cobra", "Viper") I usually take that literally and have them behave in stereotypical behavior for that animal. (With the Serpents example, the members would probably be sneaky, backstabbers, but be legit threats in their own right as well)

Royalty/Nobility. Giving people pretentious titles like "Lord Humbuckle XI" and so forth. Always fun.

Gimmicky Historical Warriors. Knights, Vikings, Samurai, etc. The more stereotypical and broad the better.

Raver/Party Animal/Dancing Fool. Can go a lot of ways with this sort of thing.

Mythological creatures. Fairies are a favorite of mine, but any sort would work.

Pop Culture/Youth Culture Icon. Can be played straight or hilariously out of touch.

When I was running a small, real world indy, I brought in the former Chris Masters as "The Masterpiece", a living statue who's super Finisher was the full Nelson where his arms "turned to stone" and locked in place.

I made a lower card tag team start a fan club over a main eventer. And the main eventer promptly ignored their existence.

I can also vouch for pop singers. Give them a longer entrance and you can use it as an angle.

What about a gladiator who makes his entry in full regalia?

If it's copying mid-WWE just take ANY profession and make that profession either an insane over the top bad guy or smiley face good guy. Literally anyone.

A Crazy Barber = Bad (He REALLY wants to use his razor on you)

A Wholesome Barber = good (He just wants you to look your best)

A wholesome airplane pilot = Good (served in the military defending our nation)

A bitter pilot = Bad (Fills the engine with rocket fuel and takes the plane into a nosedive because he hates puppies)

The more absurd and ridiculous the more early to mid 90's WWF it is.

Instant Heat

Step 1: Pair a low-level good looking heel with a good looking heel lady wrestler

Step 2: Give both a title

Step 3: Have this 'Power Couple' hype each other between matches (which ideally happen back to back)

Step 4: Have each cheat to make sure the other retain their title

Tada~

If you're using a real world database I can definitely say that taking elements of a wrestler's prior career is a great way to keep their gimmick realistic and unique. For example in one of my games, I have Rusev pushed as a main eventer using a character based on The Iron Shiek's crazed, unfiltered, somewhat humorous but still convincing foreign brute personality. In FCW Rusev did a few promos for Promo Class basically doing an impression of the Iron Shiek, plus his finish is the Camel Clutch, it just works. Rusev is a comedic wrestler anyway, but he's also a serious bad ass and I have that Iron Shiek-like persona in mind when considering his motivation or power level.

That advice won't help much for a game not set in real life obviously, so here's more insight into how I personally generate new ideas. Taking inspiration from your favorite movies and TV shows is an act that many people look down on, but if you do it loosely there's nothing more helpful. Watch your favorite movie, or even a random movie you'd enjoy, and pick up on the personality traits or the background story of your favorite character. Take whatever that idea is and fit it like a puzzle piece into your wrestling world. Another example for you, in my game I also have Ivelisse Velez signed, but I didn't want her doing the thug gimmick because I already had Homicide. So I took her character and somewhat altered aspects of it to resemble Salma Hayek's character in From Dusk Til Dawn, a movie I saw recently. I noticed how similar the two reminded me of each other. Also I guess it's kind of a cute reference to Robert Rodriguez, the executive producer of Lucha Underground (who directed From Dusk Til Dawn.)

Another less obvious source to lift ideas from: Music. Listen to music you enjoy, pay attention to the lyrics you like most, and base a character's motivation on them. You would be surprised how many possible stories and angles correlate to your favorite music. I can listen to almost any good album in my collection and envision scenes from wrestling that match up with the song's lyrics. Do it in backwards order to come up with brand new stories for familiar wrestlers in your own universe. Remember everything here is hypothetical so you can alter the ideas to match the mood.

I assume that both of these methods have been used by real life wrestling bookers, because I always noticed things like this in the writing when watching wrestling, especially from people like Paul Heyman who used to love basing gimmicks on movie characters. He did a lot of the same things with entrance music, tons of inside references that most fans miss because they have no idea where the inspiration came from. Which, of course, is the point! :)

In 2019 of my WWE save I decided to start a new company and use gimmicks I never used before. So I have:

Adam the Addict - Basically just a drug addict

Barry the Believer - Under the Acolyte (Crazy) gimmick, he will do ANYTHING to please his 'leader'

Biker Bob - A brute Biker, similar to the Undertaker I guess.

Bruce the Beast - Man Beast who just beats the shit out of people with no remorse

Doctor Azaria - A crazy Doctor, who experiments on people.

Doink The Clown Jr - Basically he thinks he's Doinks kid and he's a clown

Homeless Harry - A Homeless guy who fights to earn money to survive

John the Judo Master - A Legitimate Athlete Judo guy who does Judo stuff...

Peeping Tom - Pretty much just a pervert. He will have segments where he tries peeping in the womens locker room and get caught, so he gets booked in a match

The Grim Reaper - Pretty much what his name is. He's face though, so he believes that he's allowing people to die etc.

These are all Generated Workers too btw, which is why I'm having so much fun with this :D

A revenant vigilante like the Crow or the Wraith.

Basically Sting's gimmick in the mid to late 90s turned up to 11. Someone causes a clean cut babyface to "die" or whatever in kayfabe terms and he comes back as an avenging angel type character shrouded in mystery and awesomeness.

So a dark Midnight Rider or Mr. America type gimmick. I may not be a big fan of dark gimmicks but I can certainly see the potential in this.

Archived