TEW2020 Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I have to say I’m absolutely HYPED for the announcement about Booking on the Fly! This is something I’ve always wanted, and the ability to be able to write someone off with an angle after an injury or showing up wasted is going to be simply amazing.</p><p> </p><p>

What will also be great is sometimes I let the computer decide who wins a match, which means I can now alter the following angle to have that team celebrate or the losers stage a beat-down. Once again this feature adds to the limitless possibilities and freedom I enjoy when it comes to booking a card.</p><p> </p><p>

Very nicely done, Adam.</p>

The part he mentioned about switching identities mid show. I wonder if that means we may get character specific popularity/pushes. So we can have Daniels and Curry Man on the roster with different pushes, someone may complain about losing to Curry Man but not Daniels or something.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="The Nickman" data-cite="The Nickman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>What will also be great is sometimes I let the computer decide who wins a match, which means I can now alter the following angle to have that team celebrate or the losers stage a beat-down. </div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><p> This is exactly what I was thinking of when I read about the feature. </p><p> </p><p> Somehow I didn't buy 2016, but the excitement over 2020 has me playing the Demo to see if I get myself 2016 for my birthday(the 18th) or Xmas.....</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="TsuMirren" data-cite="TsuMirren" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I know this is going off topic, but that is the most beautiful portion of a post I've ever read on here. It makes the time spent on the mod worth it, I'm sure my colleagues would agree. If you ever want to ask anything on the UK or European scene then feel free to PM me.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Thanks mate.</p><p> </p><p> Any modders of this game I give big thanks too. I have been teaching myself about territories in the USA prior to me moving to the States. Mostly the Pacific Northwest. I have recently created a local to global game starting as a local Oregon company in 1987.</p><p> </p><p> I have Doc Dean on my roster at the moment.</p>

Hey now! I'm excited, man. :)

I must admit. The next TEW was going to be the first in the series where I was ready to state that if it's simply written on top of the previous one, and doesn't include some major changes and improvements - especially to UI - I wouldn't be sure if I was going to be buying.

Happy to read that this an ambitious project. And I don't mean that negatively - it's just that TEW 2016 has been serving me quite well, and the things I'm not happy with would probably require a brand new approach to things.

I remember reading a post from Adam where he stated that in the next TEW, he was looking to completely rework the way popularity works, and that has me excited. I do think "popularity" as it stands in TEW 2016 doesn't quite reflect the wrestling business.

I've fallen off the wagon as a wrestling fan since the release of the last game, but I always check out these forums daily in hopes for an announcement of the next TEW game. :)

I think I can agree with you on the popularity aspect, it has gotten better over the years but it's not as good. I can imagine popularity for a wrestler being linked to their momentum as well as your company level. So then, the goal is always to keep a wrestler's momentum going to get them to be stars but also their storyline successes. At the same time, I don't know how that would affect angles. I am definitely excited to see what he does.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Adam Ryland" data-cite="Adam Ryland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I think you're getting the wrong end of the stick - what I'm saying is that if people post their suggestions in this thread and don't bother with the suggestions forum then they're running the risk of their idea not being considered. That's why the journal post specifically asks people to post there, because I'll catch their post during one of my regular sweeps. If it's hidden away in this thread, chances are it's going to get lost amongst the chaos. I've edited my post to try and make that crystal clear.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That's not what you said the first time. For reference, here's the original version:</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Adam Ryland" data-cite="Adam Ryland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>As a general note, please could people <strong>stop posting their suggestions in this thread</strong> - we have an entire subforum dedicated to them.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> And here's the edited version:</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Adam Ryland" data-cite="Adam Ryland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>As a general note, please remember to post your suggestions in the Suggestions forum. If they're <strong>only</strong> in this thread, as some of you are doing, your idea runs the risk of being missed.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I added the emphasis to both in order to highlight the fact that this wasn't a clarification but a explicit change in what was being said.</p><p> </p><p> I've seen you tell people to choose their words more carefully and try to avoid being inflammatory or combative, rightfully so, and this is a good example of how your words matter too. Telling somebody that they misunderstood and you had to edit your post to "make it crystal clear" when, in fact, you completely changed what was said will rub people the wrong way and encourage others to speak to each other in the same tone, which will only lead to further problems. It's okay to acknowledge that you misspoke or changed your mind.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Kingster" data-cite="Kingster" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Has the price for TEW 2020 been decided yet? Will it stay the same?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> None of the distribution details have been discussed at all, I don't get together with Arlie to go through that sort of thing until the game is pretty close to completion. It'll likely be something that'll get announced during the second half of the journal.</p>

<p>I must REALLY be off my game. Somehow or another I had NO IDEA about this, until I saw someone mention TEW 2020 in the Mods forum just a few short minutes ago. Saw that, came looking up here, and was very... very pleasantly surprised. Just hearing what I've heard so far has me all kinds of excited.</p><p> </p><p>

Can't wait to see what's been done for the modding side of things.</p><p> </p><p>

Looking forward to seeing what the journal has in store, moving forward.</p>

<p>This is such good timing for me, as I've only just started playing this game again with my Attitude Era save, post Wrestlemania XIV. </p><p> </p><p>

That's one of my favourite things about TEW, you can stop playing for months, but pick it up again over and over. It really has such fantastic long-term value, there's not too many other games I pick up again once I put them down.</p><p> </p><p>

Like someone else said, I could be happy with TEW2016 from now moving forward, but TEW2020 looks like it's going to be an amazing step forward for the series.</p>

<p>Good job Adam. I am also happy to hear that TEW is getting a total revamp, not that the previous game needed it, simply because there was not much you could of done to improve the previous game on it's current state. </p><p> </p><p>

In general there is not too much i would say that needs serious alteration. The two things i probably want the most are:</p><p> </p><p>

#1 More options in the auto booker for events. I like running a big global promotion and for that to work, i need to run regular events (2-3 at least per week). I often want to "skip" the weekly events and focus on the main PPV. The auto booker was added last time round which is great, however i still need to edit the card to make sure the guys i want end up winning. </p><p> </p><p>

What i would like is to have something similar to how WMMA has where you can send someone down to your rookie org and "protect them or push them". I basically want the same thing here, in other words, have an auto-booker section where i can decide who will get pushed and who will get buried. Maybe there will be 3 levels of buried and 3 levels of promotion (level 3 is the highest). Possibly the same mechanic's should be used when sending your workers down to the affiliate. At the moment you have very little control as to who goes up or down the rankings. </p><p> </p><p>

#2 I also want to have the option to choose which storylines get added and who gets pushed or buried there (the same as #1). At the moment that happens pretty much randomly, there is little to no control.</p>

<p>Re: Todays entry:</p><p> </p><p>

If I am reading this right, I am more excited about the second part, because I occasionally play an 80's RW mod as 6 companies. Over time the sizes of the promotions change. Usually WCCW will rise quickly while AWA tanks. But, AWA has the third turn and WCCW the fifth.*</p><p> </p><p>

I would run an AWA and not be able to use Cactus Jack, because he is at the WCCW show, even though I wanted to use him on AWA and knew I wasn't using him on WCCW.</p>

<p>Re: Today's entry</p><p> </p><p>

The PM shows being run by company size order -- so that talent may actually be available is not minor! That's great. I can't tell you how many times I've ran a small company and ended up accidentally running a show on the same day as someone else [i tend to hold all of my shows on the same day each month, and some of these companies bounce around!] and I inevitably lose someone to working for someone else, but then they don't show up on their show. This makes me very happy as it means I'll only lose guys who are actually getting booked!</p><p> </p><p>

One question though, how does this affect alliance loans/titles? What if I'm running on the same day as NYCW and they are bigger than me. If I've borrowed someone from them from alliance loan that they tend to use -- do I still get priority? Or can both of us defend the COTT titles on the same night? Or will I be blocked if they have already used the title in question? [i'd actually love it to prevent me from defending the title].</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="combatmedic" data-cite="combatmedic" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Re: Todays entry:<p> </p><p> If I am reading this right, I am more excited about the second part, because I occasionally play an 80's RW mod as 6 companies. Over time the sizes of the promotions change. Usually WCCW will rise quickly while AWA tanks. But, AWA has the third turn and WCCW the fifth.*</p><p> </p><p> I would run an AWA and not be able to use Cactus Jack, because he is at the WCCW show, even though I wanted to use him on AWA and knew I wasn't using him on WCCW.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Right. I'm not a multiplayer guy so most of the entry was essentially "Well, at least those guys will be happy." But it was the addendum that grabbed me. Promotions being done in size order for muliplayer games is one of those features I think he underestimates just because it would be too in the weeds to be on the hypothetical game box. Combine this with on the fly booking and you have a potentially very big deal. Suppose you have a guy you let go unbooked because it's thought a bigger company will. He turns out to be available after all. Your title contender no shows. Boom. Instant replacement. That could be huge for the player. It might not be a feature you advertise but it could well be one you get excited about in the moment.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="cappyboy" data-cite="cappyboy" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Right. I'm not a multiplayer guy so most of the entry was essentially "Well, at least those guys will be happy." But it was the addendum that grabbed me. Promotions being done in size order for muliplayer games is one of those features I think he underestimates just because it would be too in the weeds to be on the hypothetical game box. Combine this with on the fly booking and you have a potentially very big deal. Suppose you have a guy you let go unbooked because it's thought a bigger company will. He turns out to be available after all. Your title contender no shows. Boom. Instant replacement. That could be huge for the player. It might not be a feature you advertise but it could well be one you get excited about in the moment.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I'm definitely excited about it. I'm excited about the potential of realizing that someone you thought was going to be gone is there -- so it opens up angles and matches you weren't planning on having. For me, it doesn't even matter if I'm playing multiplayer or not -- the size order thing definitely helps make things more possible and not do the screwy thing I hate -- which is have guys be unavailable because they're elsewhere -- when they didn't work!</p><p> </p><p> I can also see a multiplayer game, or a regular came, where the larger company messes with a smaller company by running shows on the same day and consistently using the smaller company's top talent to prevent them from being able to use them. Warfare to the highest degree.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Historian" data-cite="Historian" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>One question though, how does this affect alliance loans/titles? What if I'm running on the same day as NYCW and they are bigger than me. If I've borrowed someone from them from alliance loan that they tend to use -- do I still get priority? Or can both of us defend the COTT titles on the same night? Or will I be blocked if they have already used the title in question? [i'd actually love it to prevent me from defending the title].</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I haven't coded anything specific to this situation (fringe cases like this are what we generally tidy up in the testing phase) so the current situation would be that the same rules as for any other worker apply - so if the title or champion(s) have already been used by a bigger company then you aren't eligible to use them. I have no idea whether that'll be the case come release time, it depends entirely how it plays out and what the testers think.</p>

<p>I also like this new feature because it saves you, if you are a smaller promotion, from wasting a whole show building up an angle if someone got injured earlier in the night.</p><p> </p><p>

For example: You are a local company that uses Dalton Castle as a major attraction, when he is available. You know on your Tuesday shows he is generally booked, but you have him for your Friday shows and big events. You have him in a blood feud for the big event. </p><p> </p><p>

On Tuesday he tears his ACL in ROH. </p><p> </p><p>

Before, you wouldn't get that notification until Wednesday.</p><p> </p><p>

Now, since ROH is bigger, you would get that notification before you book your Tuesday show, show you wont waste that show with Dalton Castle hype videos and instead can write an angle putting someone else in the match, and can focus Friday on hyping the match</p>

I really like the two changes. The second is something that makes things more realistic for smaller companies. The first to me seems really important because that mechanic lends itself to the possibility of we finally getting some sort of online multiplayer which is something that would make things much more interesting.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Adam Ryland" data-cite="Adam Ryland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I haven't coded anything specific to this situation (fringe cases like this are what we generally tidy up in the testing phase) so the current situation would be that the same rules as for any other worker apply - so if the title or champion(s) have already been used by a bigger company then you aren't eligible to use them. I have no idea whether that'll be the case come release time, it depends entirely how it plays out and what the testers think.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> If it works just like the normal feature, I’m a happy camper! I would love to not be able to book the worker/title because it was already used by a bigger promotion. So I’m definitely happy if that’s how it works!</p>