TEW2020 Discussion Thread

Guest Asaemon
The AI can now bias towards signing tag team partners of members of it roster if they are part of a known duo. This makes it far more likely that teams will end up in the same place.

The AI predator hiring, which is the code that allows bigger companies to go after major names, has been changed to make the AI far more aggressive. This will make the game more competitive.

This is the best upgrade by far, so that there finally is some challenge in the game instead of easy mode.

Now i hope for a major AI booking overhaul so that the AI for major promotions delivers top rated angles on every show and stop pushing mediocre workers or has-beens deep in time decline as top main eventers. That would make the game less "easy mode" and even more competitive.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the best upgrade by far, so that there finally is some challenge in the game instead of easy mode.

Now i hope for a major AI booking overhaul so that the AI for major promotions delivers top rated angles on every show and stop pushing mediocre workers or has-beens deep in time decline as top main eventers. That would make the game less "easy mode" and even more competitive.

I really wish this game had a difficulty mode that gave the AI a big bonus on higher difficulties.

I really wish this game had a difficulty mode that gave the AI a big bonus on higher difficulties.

This solves nothing.

The AIs problem has nothing to do with it’s ability to get “bonuses” or really anything to do with grades at all.

The AI in fact already cheats like hell to get it’s above average grades.

The AI also has no issue with its predatory behavior, it’s already very aggressive. All of these are faulty suggestions getting in to cause the illusion of increased difficulty that have nothing to do with the AI limitations which would actually make the game more interesting/challenging.

The AI has exactly 3 issues mainly that cause it to be quite inept and all of it are related to planning.

1: The AI never looks to expand regardless of position and resources. In any given game SOTBW will outperform a realistic playing player for years and get company of the year over and over. In my games they usually sustain in the 80s, but they never expand their broadcasting deals to any other regions or use their massive fortune to build a network which would take them to International. Something that AI booking easily could achieve. Ditto for high regional companies that refuse to build towards Cult.

2. The AI ignores youth and rarely develops talent, this means in very long games the AI is almost always behind the player who has likely swooped up obvious prospects on long term deals.

3. The AI maintains status quo which makes them susceptible to long term effects of time decline, this again makes them weaker long term.

Outside of these issues, particularly with the “Computer is a cheating bastard” trope well in play for AI companies in TEW, there is very little more to be done in terms of AI improvements.

And the majority of the reason for the lack of competition is that TEWs engine as a whole does not promote any sort of aggression or sense of competition outside of the very flawed National battle system. You can’t even run on the same night as someone and make their attendance or ratings drop.

You also can’t really bankrupt people even if you take all their workers and leave them unable to run shows.

Basically, it’s difficulty for another PLAYER to cause another challenge to another player, what makes you think the AI would have any chance?

The only way to make the game more challenging would be to increase the difficulty and complexity of the booking, which no one actually wants.

First of all the majority of players are mod players who use workers with massively overpowered stats, of course you are going to get 99s almost every match.

Secondly, earlier TEWs had this feature got Perfect Show Theory which was convoluted and hard and was mostly hated and not used, to the point where it was overhauled to be much more simple to the point of barely being relevant or there at all.

The original PST could give you a 78 for Ric Flair vs Antonio Inoki with both having 99 overness just for booking the show in the wrong order, no one liked it.

The AI has exactly 3 issues mainly that cause it to be quite inept and all of it are related to planning.

1: The AI never looks to expand regardless of position and resources. In any given game SOTBW will outperform a realistic playing player for years and get company of the year over and over. In my games they usually sustain in the 80s, but they never expand their broadcasting deals to any other regions or use their massive fortune to build a network which would take them to International. Something that AI booking easily could achieve. Ditto for high regional companies that refuse to build towards Cult.

2. The AI ignores youth and rarely develops talent, this means in very long games the AI is almost always behind the player who has likely swooped up obvious prospects on long term deals.

3. The AI maintains status quo which makes them susceptible to long term effects of time decline, this again makes them weaker long term.

Having played one very long term game, these three issues are very, very apparent.

1) is hopefully going to not be an issue with the reworking of how sizes and growth strategies work for AI. Also, having more various levels of broadcasters will make expansion beyond regional a more doable thing.

2) and 3) are both awful. The AI has *almost* no clue how to push talent and judge talent based on potential worth, even though there are stats in game that at least have some bearing to it! Even something as cheesy as the AI being able to judge hiring/pushes on some degree of being able to see hidden potential stats, since they can't cognitively look at the trend of stat increases and such like a player can would be an improvement.

I have been playing a local to global in Australia, and RAW has been struggling because they can't push new talent or hire anyone below that minimum popularity cap, but their hiring rules state they only have workers under 35... this means they cut a lot of their top guys and have virtually no one to replace them, and they are sitting with a roster than has them with only 4 eligible workers for National battles! The AI really needs some ability to take up agency and actually, cognitively PUSH talent, or hire guys with the intention of making them stars rather than only hiring them once they are stars.

Issue 3) is way, way more pronounced the longer you play the game. Over 12 years in and almost every single major company is in turmoil because the AI stubbornly clings to booking guys with 0 athleticism/stamina and near 0 in-ring stats when they have perfectly good alternatives. Another fix to this would be to add "floors" to stat decay for time decline, but even then the overpushing of old talent gets very crazy the longer a game goes.

I hope the decrease in the performance in the ring does not last that long when a worker is off steroids. Yes, his physique obviously changes, and he suffers from the transition for a while, etc, but eventually he gets healthier and can go back to putting on great work, if he's already talented, or to learning more.

All adults male hated John Cena.

He was huge for women and kids. Biggest merch seller, Ratings were UP when he was one TV / PPV.

Correct except the last part. WWE simply had him on so much that any increase and decrease of ratings happened with Cena somewhere involved. Like....Zack Ryder's US title chase increased ratings. WWE inserted John Cena in it and that pretty much killed the angle in the long run.

Everything else you listed also applies to Reigns, who also moves merch, etc.

Obviously ratings are down all across the board, so comparing them wouldn't work

Correct except the last part. WWE simply had him on so much that any increase and decrease of ratings happened with Cena somewhere involved. Like....Zack Ryder's US title chase increased ratings. WWE inserted John Cena in it and that pretty much killed the angle in the long run.

Obviously ratings are down all across the board, so comparing them wouldn't work

Ok compare the rock to regins. It would say the rock was overused if you booked only him on the show. When most fans would actually watch the rock for 2hrs. It would be far more entertaining than the current wwe.

Tew 2013 you actually could setup the AI by taking them over. You leave after setting them up. Tew 2016 AI does some very questionable things. I started a new federation. I gave my old federation to the cpu in the same game world. The AI booked 90s for a month. I checked them out later. They broke up tag teams, drained my main eventers, fired my top guys, etc. The locker room was full of negative morale now too. So I'm definitely happy you can close down your company in tew 2020.

Having played one very long term game, these three issues are very, very apparent.

1) is hopefully going to not be an issue with the reworking of how sizes and growth strategies work for AI. Also, having more various levels of broadcasters will make expansion beyond regional a more doable thing.

2) and 3) are both awful. The AI has *almost* no clue how to push talent and judge talent based on potential worth, even though there are stats in game that at least have some bearing to it! Even something as cheesy as the AI being able to judge hiring/pushes on some degree of being able to see hidden potential stats, since they can't cognitively look at the trend of stat increases and such like a player can would be an improvement.

I have been playing a local to global in Australia, and RAW has been struggling because they can't push new talent or hire anyone below that minimum popularity cap, but their hiring rules state they only have workers under 35... this means they cut a lot of their top guys and have virtually no one to replace them, and they are sitting with a roster than has them with only 4 eligible workers for National battles! The AI really needs some ability to take up agency and actually, cognitively PUSH talent, or hire guys with the intention of making them stars rather than only hiring them once they are stars.

Issue 3) is way, way more pronounced the longer you play the game. Over 12 years in and almost every single major company is in turmoil because the AI stubbornly clings to booking guys with 0 athleticism/stamina and near 0 in-ring stats when they have perfectly good alternatives. Another fix to this would be to add "floors" to stat decay for time decline, but even then the overpushing of old talent gets very crazy the longer a game goes.

I don’t the floors would be reasonable, what would be reasonable is having this guys retire.

There shouldn’t be double digit 50 year old workers main eventing full time.

The few 50 year old workers in real life work very limited schedules or have Undertaker type deals where they work 2-3 times a year, and it’s pretty clear watching Taker recently he should have near zero in ring skills at this point, he’s a total disaster who representes a huge health and Pr risk

I don’t the floors would be reasonable, what would be reasonable is having this guys retire.

The few 50 year old workers in real life work very limited schedules or have Undertaker type deals where they work 2-3 times a year, and it’s pretty clear watching Taker recently he should have near zero in ring skills at this point, he’s a total disaster who representes a huge health and Pr risk

Not everyone declines at the same rate has always been the problem in tew. Everyone does declines the same. Alot of people would say the most entertaining worker in wwe today is pushing 50. R-truth

Undertaker just needs to quit already. The fans still cheer him. They chanted this is awesome when Goldberg and taker ran into each other. They layed on the mat for a long time. It was only a 3ct lol.

Not everyone declines at the same rate has always been the problem in tew. Everyone does declines the same. Alot of people would say the most entertaining worker in wwe today is pushing 50. R-truth

Undertaker just needs to quit already. The fans still cheer him. They chanted this is awesome when Goldberg and taker ran into each other. They layed on the mat for a long time. It was only a 3ct lol.

Well one WWE is a Pop>> fed secondly no one believes R truth is the most entertaining based in his ring skills which is the stat that actually declines in TEW.

Fans that chanted "this is awesome" for Taker vs Goldberg should have their head examined, or go back to 1980 when leg drops were the big thing.

There should 100% be floors for some stats.

Things like Stamina and Athleticism don't just drop on a linear trend to "0" which is completely absurd. Those sort of stats should at the very least be tied to physical appearance. A guy who is a ripped muscular heavyweight shouldn't fall to 0 Athleticism, that just makes no sense.

The problem is that "0" in TEW terms isn't 0 for a wrestler, it's 0 for a human being... so a guy like The Undertaker is never going to drop to 0 brawling, that's like him forgetting to punch someone. DDP's been retired for years but he's damn sure not a 0 in Athleticism, and being in "time decline" doesn't make you get tired from getting out of bed.

Reigns doesn't move as much merchandise as some like to claim, or at least that statement needs a big ol' asterisk after it. But that's a discussion for another day.

And the majority of the reason for the lack of competition is that TEWs engine as a whole does not promote any sort of aggression or sense of competition outside of the very flawed National battle system. You can’t even run on the same night as someone and make their attendance or ratings drop.

This is going to be changed in 2020, though, right? Check out entry #30 of the Developer's Journal.

More nice sounding tweaks and changes in today's announcement. Cant wait to get hands on and see how all these bits come together.

Not sure I've seen anything on this but it would be nice if you could buy and reopen a closed company with all the histories etc. Same with closed alliances.

Not sure I've seen anything on this but it would be nice if you could buy and reopen a closed company with all the histories etc. Same with closed alliances.

I second this! When I did my ECW save, I was disappointed to find that I had to go into the editor and basically make it so ECW never closed, rather than simply being able to re-open it.

More nice sounding tweaks and changes in today's announcement. Cant wait to get hands on and see how all these bits come together.

At the very least, options to buy their assets after the fact, like you can do with titles. It would be so much easier to buy a TV show or reactivate a dojo than coming up with your own.

Anything that makes the AI smarter is awesome. Hopefully this fixes SWF from bringing Spencer Spade to the main roster after a year and a half, not using him properly and letting his contract expire when they drop to Cult. I'd imagine he'd be someone they would value highly and the AI doesn't simulate that properly in TEW2016. Hopefully today's feature corrects that. I mean, Jack Bruce is supposed to put Spencer Spade over as the new figurehead before he retires. Just like Faith did for him.

Anything that makes the AI smarter is awesome. Hopefully this fixes SWF from bringing Spencer Spade to the main roster after a year and a half, not using him properly and letting his contract expire when they drop to Cult. I'd imagine he'd be someone they would value highly and the AI doesn't simulate that properly in TEW2016. Hopefully today's feature corrects that. I mean, Jack Bruce is supposed to put Spencer Spade over as the new figurehead before he retires. Just like Faith did for him.

Imagine if the new AI in TEW 2020 decides to strap a rocket to Masked Patriot instead. Lol.