Thunderverse Discussion Thread

as someone who has lived in the South his whole life... it’s definitely around, but it’s not something that you see in actual businesses anymore, unless it’s built on that whole subculture

just the sight of the stars and bars is very offensive to many down here, and it crosses racial lines

it’s something I cringe at every time it pops up in the game — the old SCCW stuff in the C-Verse is the same

I mean, I’m pretty sure I was the one who suggested “The South Will Rise Again” as an event name for CWT way back in the day... definitely something I wouldn’t suggest now

I’ll just say that any rebel flag stuff can probably be avoided

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can't shy away from history, political movements and modern appropriations of them. It isn't endorsing the associated ideas, it's just reflecting a sub-section of the world we live in for the sake of keeping a degree of realism. I believe the CSA and associated movements are only being referenced by regional and smaller promotions based in locations where there are still a chunk of people it resonates with.

The reality of the world is racists can (and in many cases do) run businesses and own wrestling promotions, if you want to create a realistic universe with 90-odd active unique promotions, each with unique owners/bookers/characters, then I think you're always going to draw on ideas for some of them that are distasteful to most of us.

Like TheLeviticalLawKid3 said, I dont think this is something that would actually happen today without controversy. The companies that appear in TEW arent the small local ones that only have facebook pages and no one knows about. They're of decent enough repute that they really wouldn't be able to do that at all actually without serious consequences. Unless there's a way to build in those consequences & the sharp negative backlash that would occur (most workers would refuse to work or associate themselves with the company), I dont see why it would be included in a game set in 2020.

I think TVerse is above this and doesnt need to include it for some cheap attempt at realism. It doesnt actually add much to the game and I doubt anyone here is going to lose sleep over the lack of its representation, and if they would, I'm very concerned with the sort of things they value & prioritize because im pretty sure realism at that point is a cover up.

Like TheLeviticalLawKid3 said, I dont think this is something that would actually happen today without controversy. The companies that appear in TEW arent the small local ones that only have facebook pages and no one knows about. They're of decent enough repute that they really wouldn't be able to do that at all actually without serious consequences. Unless there's a way to build in those consequences & the sharp negative backlash that would occur (most workers would refuse to work or associate themselves with the company), I dont see why it would be included in a game set in 2020.

I think TVerse is above this and doesnt need to include it for some cheap attempt at realism. It doesnt actually add much to the game and I doubt anyone here is going to lose sleep over the lack of its representation, and if they would, I'm very concerned with the sort of things they value & prioritize because im pretty sure realism at that point is a cover up.

Fair enough, I think my perception of its pervasiveness in that part of America was obviously off the mark.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Dalton" data-cite="Dalton" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47493" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Yes I definitely knew that there's a brand new mod coming out, just wanted to play some of the 2016 T-Verse in the meantime:D</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Sorry, I was typing very quickly and didn't make myself clear. What I was saying is that the 2020 mod is not based on a conversion of the 2016 database you have been playing. We started planning out the 2020 mod almost two years ago and at the time started a brand new, empty, 2016 database. It is that database that has been converted to TEW2020. Because of that, the conversion work I've already done and the changes I've had to make are likely different from the ones that would be required for anyone converting 2016. If that wasn't the case, I'd have just posted a list of "quick fixes" that someone would need to do. Hope that makes sense!</p>

Just to confirm that the confederate imagery was removed from the ThunderVerse a long time ago (the minute that we became aware of the negative connotations around its use). I've attached the new BCW logo to this post to anyone who wants to use it in the run up to the new release (it's actually an update of the update, if you see what I mean!).

To be clear, the ThunderVerse has not and will not intentionally contain any offensive characters for the sake of realism or for any other reason. It's an unfortunate part of real life, but it doesn't need to be part of this game.

Hope that addresses the concerns raised yesterday.

BCW.jpg.9a4e32487aefc2f4c32a95462ba1c02c.jpg

Just to confirm that the confederate imagery was removed from the ThunderVerse a long time ago (the minute that we became aware of the negative connotations around its use). I've attached the new BCW logo to this post to anyone who wants to use it in the run up to the new release (it's actually an update of the update, if you see what I mean!).

To be clear, the ThunderVerse has not and will not intentionally contain any offensive characters for the sake of realism or for any other reason. It's an unfortunate part of real life, but it doesn't need to be part of this game.

I was just reading this bit of the thread for the first time and wondering how that would affect BCW (which is my favorite promotion) and I love the hell out of this logo so I'm very excited to see it in action later.

I was just reading this bit of the thread for the first time and wondering how that would affect BCW (which is my favorite promotion) and I love the hell out of this logo so I'm very excited to see it in action later.

Glad you like it :) BCW are really gaining an identity in this 2020 update. I really like the way they play in the demo so far, so hopefully they'll manage to copy with longer-term saves as well!

Damn that's a nice new logo. I've never really been into BCW (not my style of wrestling + the confederate flag did suggest a target audience I didn't want to book for), but interested to see how they look in 2020.

I see the TV has a new worker background too! :)

I see the TV has a new worker background too! :)

It really confused me how you worked that out until I remembered both myself and MHero have changed our avatars haha! Yes, we've moved away from the traditional red and pink, all workers have now got the same grey/silver background.

Seen a few posts recently about women's wrestling in the Cverse. Lots of interesting changes for fans of women's wrestling in the ThunderVerse to look forward to well beyond a new background. Hopefully will be able to share some of them soon, just need to work out the best way of doing that.

It really confused me how you worked that out until I remembered both myself and MHero have changed our avatars haha! Yes, we've moved away from the traditional red and pink, all workers have now got the same grey/silver background.

Seen a few posts recently about women's wrestling in the Cverse. Lots of interesting changes for fans of women's wrestling in the ThunderVerse to look forward to well beyond a new background. Hopefully will be able to share some of them soon, just need to work out the best way of doing that.

Can't wait to see how everyone's favorite dimension hopping user character looks with the new background ;)

Can't wait to see how everyone's favorite dimension hopping user character looks with the new background ;)

The Visitor is looking pretty dang good if you ask me. :p

sweet, and that new logo is quite slick

now, I’m off to find a TVerse character to use as my avatar #onhere like all the other cool kids

<p>I'd first like to state that Thunderverse is one of my top favorite mods next to anything C-Verse. But I did have one really minor gripe maybe you can address since you're here JHD1.</p><p> </p><p>

One of the best things about the Thunderverse is the amazing backstory of everyone, and the universe as a whole. That said this is also one of the minor gripes I have. Even the most green worker has a character and backstory like they've been around 20 years. There needs to be a lot of "no name" guys with no backstory just breaking into the world finding their footing. Guys some one can pick up and repackage after they've gotten some experience.</p><p> </p><p>

Other than that I love Thunderverse and I'm super excited to see a new updated version.</p>

I've been playing Thunderverse lately in TEW 2016 and really enjoying it. When I began I signed the Mountie and hired one of his sons, Pierre Lejosne, as well.

And, somewhat remarkably, Pierre at age 23 has become the breakout young star of my promotion six months into the mod. Adam Massey has been my World Champion the entire time, I've had steady growth, and now my company is very close to Cult status.

There are some little details that are great. I ended up getting heat with one of my road agents, Les Gotch, as I unknowingly ran an event on the same night as his small SWA show. Kris Phoenix is SWA's one real standout, but Phoenix works for me as well and I had him booked that night.

The game never exactly explained why there was heat, but that's somewhat like real life. And it was easy to figure out what happened once I looked closer.

The Thunderverse world has great depth and balance. Nice work by all involved.

I'd first like to state that Thunderverse is one of my top favorite mods next to anything C-Verse. But I did have one really minor gripe maybe you can address since you're here JHD1.

One of the best things about the Thunderverse is the amazing backstory of everyone, and the universe as a whole. That said this is also one of the minor gripes I have. Even the most green worker has a character and backstory like they've been around 20 years. There needs to be a lot of "no name" guys with no backstory just breaking into the world finding their footing. Guys some one can pick up and repackage after they've gotten some experience.

Other than that I love Thunderverse and I'm super excited to see a new updated version.

Thanks Apupunchau. That's good feedback, and it's much appreciated. We have tried to give the sense that there is an indy scene beneath what you can see in game which is the reason behind some of that, but it's certainly something we'll keep in mind when creating new rookies this time around.