TEW2020 CornellVerse Discussion Thread

Hey everyone.

I've been a longtime EWR player and I dabbled around TEW05 and TEW13 with the real life mods.

With this trial version of TEW20 I really want to be able to give the C-Verse a real go but I'm completely lost when looking at the companies and rosters etc and I'm wondering if you guys can give me some help.

I'm guessing that TCW and SWF are almost clones of WCW and WWF/E respectively? These two seem to appeal to me at first glance as I am a massive fan of WCW/NWA back in the 80s/early 90s.

Can some of you point me in the direction of how I can get more info on these companies to get some background? Also.. is there any PPVs for these companies that mimmick real company events like Royal Rumble, Starrcade, Wrestlemania etc?

Thanks in advance 😊

I think the best way to approach it is to look at the companies. Consider the product and the roster then pick the one you think will best match what you are trying to do. Since quite a bit of this is your imagination the characters will take shape in your head. My vision of Aaron Andrews might be very different than yours and both will match what we know (stats, attributes and bio).

I don't think any of them match a real world counterpart that closely though Golden to the SWF does give it a classic WWF feel. Not sure if its the Hogan days or the Luger days.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the best way to approach it is to look at the companies. Consider the product and the roster then pick the one you think will best match what you are trying to do. Since quite a bit of this is your imagination the characters will take shape in your head. My vision of Aaron Andrews might be very different than yours and both will match what we know (stats, attributes and bio).

I don't think any of them match a real world counterpart that closely though Golden to the SWF does give it a classic WWF feel. Not sure if its the Hogan days or the Luger days.

Agree with all of this

CWA does feel very AEW without the hardcore stuff, which my just be my head cannon but I like immensely.

Agree with all of this

CWA does feel very AEW without the hardcore stuff, which my just be my head cannon but I like immensely.

QAW feels very AEW-esque as well. The tag titles are floating, so you'll absolutely see main eventers mixing it up with those lower down the card (admittedly, this was a feature back in 2016, too). They play loosely with the face/ heel dynamic while still paying lip service to it. High action product with stories and characters. Bigger focus on stables. Quite a few of their wrestlers also work in Mexico under working agreements.

This is all so true. And it even includes Adam and the testing team. They saw Prince Adam as someone to rebrand as Rocky Golden and elevate to the major figure he is today in the C-Verse. I always saw a no hoper. The beginning of his ascent back in 08 was one of the reasons I fled TCW and looking to bargain basement for guys I could elevate. Been 12 years now and the fun I've had using the Bob Caseys and Ben Williamses of the C-Verse as my centerpieces. Some truly epic wars most players will never partake in because they play big and focus on rising to the top.

Here's a question: how many of you stick to the Cornellverse as presented? What type of changes do you make? For example:

Do you start a game completely without any edits?

Do you start with the same workers but edit gimmicks and dispositions to suit what you would do at the start?

Do you assign the workers to your fed if they would be day 1 signings anyway?

Do you make "trades"?

Do you use the Cverse as a starting point and edit away, putting a radically different spin on it?

Its incredible what Adam has done with it.

Just looking for thoughts on this.

The only real change I used to make was adding a bunch of “tribute shows” to the data functioning as Indy events but the new system should take care of that just fine.

The UK scene is a slight disapointment to me. Unless you want to jump in as the dominant 21CW the options are not too interesting. You have a ultra old school promotion with no angles and long matches or a hardcore promotion.

I created a promotion with a classic balanced product but it would have been nice to have something like this from the start.

I do like some of the new workers though, Dangermouth and Bryn Archer in particular look very fun to book.

Going through it as someone who plays nearly exclusively in the British Isles it's all felt a little underwhelming. Perhaps because last edition brought us both an interesting and fun new promotion along with some big changes in 21CW (Cornell arriving and Joss Thompson leaving) which made it feel fairly new and exciting this one seems to suffer in comparison. It doesn't help that CWW seems like a pretty straight homage to RoF while with the McPeterson's returning there's a distinct MOSC vibe about SNP these days; all we need is a new promotion to having a cutting edge, short angle style as a homage to 21CW's original product and we've basically got the classic British scene from 2005 back again.

In terms of what has actually changed there's not too much that excites me (although obviously that's a personal thing). 21CW seems to have progressed basically as if you'd just simmed 4 years without anything too radical changing; Dark Angel has retired, Tommy has turned face and feuded with his cousin (which I think almost everyone who ran a longish term 21CW save probably did), the older veteran workers have either retired or moved down the card as age caught up with them, most of the NSW graduates have been signed, most people are basically in the position they were before just with either slightly increased or decreased stats. Muckletruck coming in is nice (and I had some fun doing a story around that last time out) but for a promotion that already has so many monster heels with high menace (including some younger and better workers) it's not a radical change. Arguably the biggest one is the Ivanov's leaving which freshens up the tag division but it's not a world shattering one.

SNP has had more changes with the aforementioned Muckletruck leaving combined with the Ivanov's and McPeterson coming in which does freshen up the card a lot. McPeterson vs Carnie is a nice stable-based feud to tell some stories around but partly because SNP was new last time and has only just established itself, nothing feels too dramatic. CWW basically feels like what I've done if I'd ever created a "RoF reborn" company with perhaps a touch less min-maxing.

On the workers themselves it seems like the average level of them has increased considerably; outside of 21CW you could basically split workers into the prospects full of potential but in need of a lot of training and the veterans who were needed to train them up without much in-between while this year the extra four years have turned a lot of those prospects into solid-to-good wrestlers. Some of the new additions look fun; as well as the ones others have mentioned Stuart Wilson looks like someone you can do interesting stuff with, Quake seems to be a nice monster heel prospect, Govan Monty a charismatic brawler and the Black Country Boys fit nicely into the Northern Lights mould of years gone by; and athletic, brawling tag team with some breakout potential.

There's still a lot of potential here for really crafting a roster; you may not be able to go to the old standbys of Hugh de Aske and Greg Gauge now but you can still complement existing rosters with some international workhorses like Gram Gorman, Ray Snow and Weaver and you've obviously got the European market available to you... notably with 21CW no longer immediately hiring half a dozen workers to written contracts immediately you can actually use Landon Mallory now.

So overall? As I started by saying, a bit underwhelmed (although I may well have missed a few things that shoot up my excitement levels) but not really disappointed; more trying to find the lay of the land.

Hey everyone.

I've been a longtime EWR player and I dabbled around TEW05 and TEW13 with the real life mods.

With this trial version of TEW20 I really want to be able to give the C-Verse a real go but I'm completely lost when looking at the companies and rosters etc and I'm wondering if you guys can give me some help.

I'm guessing that TCW and SWF are almost clones of WCW and WWF/E respectively? These two seem to appeal to me at first glance as I am a massive fan of WCW/NWA back in the 80s/early 90s.

Can some of you point me in the direction of how I can get more info on these companies to get some background? Also.. is there any PPVs for these companies that mimmick real company events like Royal Rumble, Starrcade, Wrestlemania etc?

Thanks in advance 😊

It's always hard to make direct comparisons between the C-verse and real world as while they did start off with some obvious homages as time's gone by they've moved further and further apart. There's a wiki that has some background information you can read through and if you're really dedicated you can download the old demos for TEW games and go through the promotions and workers there, seeing how they've changed over time.

SWF's the clear WWE stand in, with them being the dominant force in wrestling for a long time having bought out the classic regional promotions and their (now former) owner Richard Essien being a Vince McMahon-like businessman (albeit not appearing on camera) and their recent success having come from a roughly Attitude era approach to wrestling. Different people will have different takes on this but to me the WCW equivalent is in some ways both TCW and USPW. TCW is sort of WCW in reverse; they started off with a rich backer pouring tons of money in so they could poach a lot of SWF's stars while doing a similar product but couldn't really break though. Losing money and needing a change they moved to a more traditional Jim Crockett Promotions type product with a focus on serious, athletic wrestling and the wrestlers having more control and say. Despite that they nearly went bust and had a lot of their stars taken which leads them into this edition; my take is that you can think of them being in a similar position to a WCW that got some financial support in 2001 and so survived but was clearly in need of a rebuild.

USPW on the other hand can be seen as if that mid 90's WCW product not only continued, it thrived. Allen Packer buying them as a way to fill his subscription-based entertainment channel with programming has some distinct similarities to Ted Turner buying Jim Crockett Promotions to fill his network programming with the product USPW put out is pretty similar to the mid-90's, pre-NWO WCW product. An alternate but similar way of looking at it is viewing it as the AOL-Time Warner merger actually working out for WCW; big name wrestling promotion suddenly gets even more financial support and new broadcasting opportunities that could massively raise its profile.

As I said to begin with, most people will have their own unique takes on not only promotions but the workers as well as; some may heavily disagree with what I've put out above. Certain workers carry a distinct hint of real world equivalents but these days it often is only really a hint; it's often best to find one aspect of a character that speaks to you and see if you can build from there rather than trying to find a real world person to strictly base them on.

Renders are a taste thing though.

Yeah, but, there's some still in the game that just don't look very good. They not only not look good, but they're completely different from most other renders in the game. And I hate to say it, but the same guy made them. (Avalanche, Might Mo, Elliot Thomas, Killer Shark...)

Going through it as someone who plays nearly exclusively in the British Isles it's all felt a little underwhelming. Perhaps because last edition brought us both an interesting and fun new promotion along with some big changes in 21CW (Cornell arriving and Joss Thompson leaving) which made it feel fairly new and exciting this one seems to suffer in comparison. It doesn't help that CWW seems like a pretty straight homage to RoF while with the McPeterson's returning there's a distinct MOSC vibe about SNP these days; all we need is a new promotion to having a cutting edge, short angle style as a homage to 21CW's original product and we've basically got the classic British scene from 2005 back again.

In terms of what has actually changed there's not too much that excites me (although obviously that's a personal thing). 21CW seems to have progressed basically as if you'd just simmed 4 years without anything too radical changing; Dark Angel has retired, Tommy has turned face and feuded with his cousin (which I think almost everyone who ran a longish term 21CW save probably did), the older veteran workers have either retired or moved down the card as age caught up with them, most of the NSW graduates have been signed, most people are basically in the position they were before just with either slightly increased or decreased stats. Muckletruck coming in is nice (and I had some fun doing a story around that last time out) but for a promotion that already has so many monster heels with high menace (including some younger and better workers) it's not a radical change. Arguably the biggest one is the Ivanov's leaving which freshens up the tag division but it's not a world shattering one.

SNP has had more changes with the aforementioned Muckletruck leaving combined with the Ivanov's and McPeterson coming in which does freshen up the card a lot. McPeterson vs Carnie is a nice stable-based feud to tell some stories around but partly because SNP was new last time and has only just established itself, nothing feels too dramatic. CWW basically feels like what I've done if I'd ever created a "RoF reborn" company with perhaps a touch less min-maxing.

On the workers themselves it seems like the average level of them has increased considerably; outside of 21CW you could basically split workers into the prospects full of potential but in need of a lot of training and the veterans who were needed to train them up without much in-between while this year the extra four years have turned a lot of those prospects into solid-to-good wrestlers. Some of the new additions look fun; as well as the ones others have mentioned Stuart Wilson looks like someone you can do interesting stuff with, Quake seems to be a nice monster heel prospect, Govan Monty a charismatic brawler and the Black Country Boys fit nicely into the Northern Lights mould of years gone by; and athletic, brawling tag team with some breakout potential.

There's still a lot of potential here for really crafting a roster; you may not be able to go to the old standbys of Hugh de Aske and Greg Gauge now but you can still complement existing rosters with some international workhorses like Gram Gorman, Ray Snow and Weaver and you've obviously got the European market available to you... notably with 21CW no longer immediately hiring half a dozen workers to written contracts immediately you can actually use Landon Mallory now.

So overall? As I started by saying, a bit underwhelmed (although I may well have missed a few things that shoot up my excitement levels) but not really disappointed; more trying to find the lay of the land.

I was a bit surprised too at the lack of updates, though I rarely play in UK

The only positive I can think of is it's ripe for a user created company to fill the void, might be a good spot for my RTG challenger

I'm shocked there aren't any more UK women added, I figured that was a give in to let a women's promotion start up there or book a women's division in general.

I might do that anyway, but will prob. have to meta game it and give that created promotion more money than I want and edit some younger workers to be available to work in the UK.

Yeah, but, there's some still in the game that just don't look very good. They not only not look good, but they're completely different from most other renders in the game. And I hate to say it, but the same guy made them. (Avalanche, Might Mo, Elliot Thomas, Killer Shark...)

Not to be contrary, rather to illustrate my point: I genuinely like Thomas' and Shark's.

Renders are a taste thing though.

There have been a number of occasions where I've had to go to the previous version and get one of the original renders to replace the replacement. This is doubly true for workers who do actually get re-renders and then a different one is subsequently used as an update

You literally can't please everyone with the renders: laziness doesn't even begin to come into it and it's super unfair to call the worker images lazy or half-arsed just because they haven't been updated. It's personal preference.

doesn't matter if its a taste thing or personal preference. this is the database that is sold with the game still using renders from 3+ generations ago.

It is LONG over due for a freshen up

I don't have the time to dig though 1000's of updated renders and assign them myself.

You are equating not updated with bad, which is false.

Why do the pictures being old mean they must be updated? Many, even most are absolutely fine, dare I say iconic.

It's 100% down to personal taste.

agree, Adam can't win here. If he updated them all and they didn't match peoples head cannon, there would be threads saying "why did you change the decolt renders? That's not how Alex looks" ect.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Great Tiger" data-cite="Great Tiger" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47579" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Something that I'm surprise it didn't give any reason is ACPW move from the Maritime to Quebec for their home. I have expecting received one (at least I understand that move).<p> </p><p> Don't finish look all the C-Verse, but I like what I have see.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It's mentioned in the handbook under Cornellverse --> maintaining canon (or something along those lines): ACPW got moved for gameplay reasons.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Kingster" data-cite="Kingster" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47579" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>It's mentioned in the handbook under Cornellverse --> maintaining canon (or something along those lines): ACPW got moved for gameplay reasons.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Must have skip that part... better read it again. thanks!</p>