Who buy? Who not buying on release day?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it’s just unfamiliarity but I cannot seem to warm to the game at the moment. I think I might in time but not the current version. It still feels quite cumbersome and I find clicking to go down lists of workers quite gruelling.

I still expect to buy the game. I hope. But not on release day. It feels like a grind still- plus I am still enjoying 16.

But there's just something about the game that keeps pushing me away. I appreciate some changes, but for every positive change, it feels like the game has two things that annoy me. It feels difficult to get things done, and playing the game actually feels like work, as opposed to having fun - which is what I'm after.

I always feel like such an outsider when people talk about using Excel for their TEW savegames, keeping notes, having these elaborate plans, haha. I just play and book. I have some stuff in my head, but I really just paly for fun. I guess this is a big reason why 2020 just doesn't jive with me that much; a lot of people over the years have complained about TEW games being too easy. I've never had this issue because I've never played TEW for the any kid of challenge it may or may not provide. It's just been this fun way to kill time, really. But I think 2020 aimed to address a lot of the things about the difficulty that have been brought up.

I just read that it takes someone 30 minutes to book a show in 2020 - and I'm assuming this is someone who quite enjoys the game. This is so foreign to me since I could never enjoy it taking half an hour to get one show done in a TEW game, but it goes to show me that perhaps I'm just not in the target audience. This is aimed at the hardcore gamers of the series. And that's fine. Not everything is geared for everyone, that's just how it goes.

I'm also a no on the game at this point. I may buy it later after I see what improvements are made, what mods come out, and how well they play, but as of now, I'd like to echo the sentiments of this post.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Charvalos" data-cite="Charvalos" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="49289" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I won't pay 35$ for a game developed with a technology not supported by Microsoft since 2008 and with an UI stuck in the late 90s.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> But maybe you'll change your mind in two weeks when none of those legitimate issues are addressed?</p>

<p>I've been a loyal customer since TEW 2008, having bought every iteration of the game up through TEW 2016. Most of them at launch. </p><p> </p><p>

With TEW 2020, I'm taking a "wait and see" approach. The AI and the UI are at this point works-in-progress, and before buying in I want to make sure the end product is going to be suitably immersive and fun.</p><p> </p><p>

The steady stream of improvements is encouraging but more changes are needed -- there's a considerable way to go.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="TeemuFoundation" data-cite="TeemuFoundation" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="49289" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> But there's just something about the game that keeps pushing me away. I appreciate some changes, but for every positive change, it feels like the game has two things that annoy me. It feels difficult to get things done, and playing the game actually feels like work, as opposed to having fun - which is what I'm after.</p><p> </p><p> I always feel like such an outsider when people talk about using Excel for their TEW savegames, keeping notes, having these elaborate plans, haha. I just play and book. I have some stuff in my head, but I really just paly for fun. I guess this is a big reason why 2020 just doesn't jive with me that much; a lot of people over the years have complained about TEW games being too easy. I've never had this issue because I've never played TEW for the any kind of challenge it may or may not provide. It's just been this fun way to kill time, really. But I think 2020 aimed to address a lot of the things about the difficulty that have been brought up.</p><p> </p><p> This, then, lead to this game where our hands are cuffed way tighter than before. I also feel that maybe it's because the game was aimed at the hardcores who truly do play the game with the help of Excel and hundreds of external notes that everything taking so long was never seen as a possible issue. </p><p> </p><p> I just read that it takes someone 30 minutes to book a show in 2020 - and I'm assuming this is someone who quite enjoys the game. This is so foreign to me since I could never enjoy it taking half an hour to get one show done in a TEW game, but it goes to show me that perhaps I'm just not in the target audience. This is aimed at the hardcore gamers of the series. And that's fine. Not everything is geared for everyone, that's just how it goes.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I really wish this post was right and TEW 20 had been geared towards the note takers & "hardcores" but as a note taker & possibly a "hardcore", I can comfortably & easily state that this game didnt do much to be geared in my direction & to make the game any more challenging. I wish it did make the game more challenging & that it was geared more towards my direction, for obvious selfish reasons. Unfortunately it isnt.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jon The GOAT" data-cite="Jon The GOAT" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="49289" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I really wish this post was right and TEW 20 had been geared towards the note takers & "hardcores" but as a note taker & possibly a "hardcore", I can comfortably & easily state that this game didnt do much to be geared in my direction & to make the game any more challenging. I wish it did make the game more challenging & that it was geared more towards my direction, for obvious selfish reasons. Unfortunately it isnt.</div></blockquote><p> So, it seems like sandboxers don't feel like the game is geared towards them, and now a note taker has stepped forward, stating the game isn't geared for him. I wonder who the target audience is, then.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Charvalos" data-cite="Charvalos" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="49289" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I won't pay 35$ for a game developed with a technology not supported by Microsoft since 2008 and with a UI stuck in the late 90s.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> While I am buying the game this is my biggest disappointment. 2020 should have been the year to bring the game forward. Leave visual basic in the past and bring the game over to a modern engine. Instead, we are stuck with a game technology-wise is pretty much the same as it was in 2004.</p><p> </p><p> If you look at comparative games. This is currently going to be retailing for more than Football Manager 2020. About the same price more or less than Out of the Park Baseball 2021 and Starters Orders 7 and more than Motor Sports Manager. All using much more modern game engines.</p><p> </p><p> If you image a developer created a game on Unreal 2 and then released it for a $35 price tag in 2020 they would be slaughtered. Yet it's perfectible acceptable for TEW to be in this state. The only reason TEW gets a pass is that its the only real game of this type on the market.</p><p> </p><p> I want to see Adam and Greydog do well but in its current state, it seems like TEW has reached the end of what's capable on visual basic and needs a rebuild on a new engine to really move the game forward. I honestly think if the next version of TEW after this is the same game, still running on VB then it will be the end of this franchise.</p>

<p>I'm in on release day or soonest after.</p><p> </p><p>

I'm used to the different layout after playing through a few times, it helped that I've played WMMA4!</p><p> </p><p>

Of course there are certain menus, settings and experiences I haven't gotten used to yet but happy with one of the 2020 real world mods I've downloaded and will get a historic one in due course.</p><p> </p><p>

Well worth the money as it is numerous games in one. Get bored of one era, download another. Bored of ruling the world in WWE then go to SHIMMER or start a new company in India.</p><p> </p><p>

Easy choice for me personally.</p>

I will probably buy, but I guess obsolescence of this series went too far now.

I believe this year was the right time for TEW series to show some serious improvement.

I mean not just some new ideas that you could also make it happen in previous games, but technological upgrade.

Considering that I am an old wrestling fan and visual stuff is not so important in this kind of game, it felt okay to pay for TEW 2013 and even 2016.

But now, to be honest, I feel almost guilty about purchasing this.

So, it seems like sandboxers don't feel like the game is geared towards them, and now a note taker has stepped forward, stating the game isn't geared for him. I wonder who the target audience is, then.

Going out on a limb here but...... wrestling fans? I don't know what made me think of that. Just popped in my head I guess! :D

I don't have the issues with it that plenty of others seem to but I am finishing up some other games right now and haven't had the drive to play TEW in a few weeks so I might end up waiting a little bit. Nothing to do with the quality of the game just don't feel the need to spend the money this week if I don't think I'm going to be inspired.

I don't play hardcore but I just assumed that PSW would be like Hardcore Evolved, as that seems to be the "updated" version of Hardcore wrestling and would make sense for them as they are trying to avoid failing like DAVE. But not I know lol

DaVE was a pure HC fed, and PSW is a nostalgia fed first and foremost. I mean it stands for Danger and Violence Extreme. People like to typecast it as ECW and remember all of the Lynn Storm and Lucha stuff, and that wasn't DaVE. Dave was a Hardcore-Daredevil fed. All three are the same Anti-Establishment blowhard fed, but one has old people, one has younger people, and the third has black people. It's a bit overkill for me as well.

DaVE was a pure HC fed, and PSW is a nostalgia fed first and foremost. I mean it stands for Danger and Violence Extreme. People like to typecast it as ECW and remember all of the Lynn Storm and Lucha stuff, and that wasn't DaVE. Dave was a Hardcore-Daredevil fed. All three are the same Anti-Establishment blowhard fed, but one has old people, one has younger people, and the third has black people. It's a bit overkill for me as well.

I'm actually surprised all three survived. I always looked at DAVE as "CZW that got popular" and PSW as more similar to ECW proper, maybe a bit toned down.

I'm actually surprised all three survived. I always looked at DAVE as "CZW that got popular" and PSW as more similar to ECW proper, maybe a bit toned down.

I don't get that read from Mitchy. He's a mark for DaVE. He's a zealot. He won't compromise his conviction for success. This is why they haven't moved in pop in 3 databases despite having talent like Black and Phunk on the roster with all the old DaVE guys, and I don't see them changing either. This is why my prediction is that ICW will blow by them both and become the new #3 next edition.

Going out on a limb here but...... wrestling fans? I don't know what made me think of that. Just popped in my head I guess! :D

Specifically, wrestling fans who really enjoy poring over spreadsheets in VB.

I'm sure those'll still be enough in numbers to tide GDS over until the next game.

There aren't really any other wrestling management sims out there, so it's not like they have any kind of competition there.

I’m not sure that’s really accurate, I mean they were a super hardcore fed, but it’s a company that employee the New Wave, Eisaku Kunomasu and Art Reed, as well as had a Bryan Holmes world title reign. Pablo Rodriguez also worked there. DAVE was very much the closest product the C-Verse had to prime ECW as any fed ever got.

If you are looking for pure deathmatchy style company, at least if we go by the 97 mod, it would actually be XFW that would be your fit.

As for the question at hand, I will be hanging back to see how the game is working in a couple months. The interface drives me up a wall in comparison to 2016, and as a pure Cornellverse player... I just do not care for the direction it’s at right now, and vastly prefer the Cornellverse 2018 mod (as well as the 77 and 97 ones) for my current play style. The improvements are nice, but they stuff that I always liked about previous additions have changed, and the vast majority of them feel like they got worse. So I’ll check back at a later date, but for now, totally cool with just sticking with 2016 for the moment.

Specifically, wrestling fans who really enjoy poring over spreadsheets in VB.

I'm sure it'll still be enough to tide them over until the next game.

There aren't really any other wrestling management sims out there, so it's not like GDS have any kind of competition here.

There competition is basically the previous games in the series. The biggest problem this game has had is convincing the established player base it’s worth paying 35 dollars over the game they already have and like.