The mandatory pre-booking system is too unforgiving at the start of the game

I honestly like the IDEA of mandatory pre-booking: Getting to book my supercards in advance in order to drive up PPV buys. However, it's too unforgiving at the start of the game.

Literally, just as I am getting ready to book my first show after signing my roster of free agent talent, I'm getting an attendance penalty out of the box, not because I neglected to do the mandatory pre-booking, but because I literally COULDN'T do any pre-booking, since ... ya know ... I didn't have any wrestlers until just now.

Hell, the biggest stars - the ones who I need to pre-book in order to avoid attendance penalties - tend to take the longest to make up their minds about signing with me.

I don't want to simply disable mandatory pre-booking. It's a great mechanic, in theory. But it needs to be scaled back for my first couple of shows, in order to give me a chance to "get settled in."

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="vladjarca" data-cite="vladjarca" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="50547" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Well, in real life, if you have a show this Sunday and only manage to sign workers this Friday and reveal the biggest names that will be on your card on Saturday, you're not gonna have much of an attendance on Sunday, are you?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yeah, that was my thought too reading the OP. Audiences need a reason to pay to show up, every promotion going from AEW to Canuck Pro announced matches well in advance of their first show to get people to come. You shouldn't really be setting a show up in the schedule without a roster in place to book.</p>

A grace period lasting a few weeks or the first month at the start of a game would probably be a solid idea. Might make for a good shout in the suggestions forum.

Is this something that the game should do, given the fact that the user is given the option to do it themselves? I mean, it seems simple to turn the feature off until such time as you're comfortable with your personnel and then turn it back on.

I mean yeah you can, it's what I'd do. I know a lot of people are very stubbornly against things like that, consider it exploiting the system or cheating.

The thing about this that's an issue is that certain scenarios will actually have a major event set on the week the game starts. Which means you don't have the week in advance for pre-booking that a significant event is supposed to get. The default database even has this with CZCW, many of it's events are in the first week including January.

In that scenario the penalty doesn't seem fair, I don't think that's a wild thing to say. Of course you can disable the effect and also you can just move that event a few days forward to allow yourself to pre-book it like normal. But I think if a feature needs to be worked around or temporarily disabled just to make things fair that implies an issue with the feature. It'd be nice for the game to account for situations like that.

I mean yeah you can, it's what I'd do. I know a lot of people are very stubbornly against things like that, consider it exploiting the system or cheating.

Honestly if someone feels like it's exploiting to turn it off until they're ready then they should take the penalty.

The penalty in the situation the OP described is very realistic and is the entire point of pre-booking.

The thing about this that's an issue is that certain scenarios will actually have a major event set on the week the game starts. Which means you don't have the week in advance for pre-booking that a significant event is supposed to get. The default database even has this with CZCW, many of it's events are in the first week including January.

In that scenario the penalty doesn't seem fair, I don't think that's a wild thing to say. Of course you can disable the effect and also you can just move that event a few days forward to allow yourself to pre-book it like normal. But I think if a feature needs to be worked around or temporarily disabled just to make things fair that implies an issue with the feature. It'd be nice for the game to account for situations like that.

This part I agree with. Maybe you should make the suggestion in the suggestions forum. Anything you pre-book on the 1st day of a save for that week, should count as being pre-booked in advance.

Just don't switch it on till Feb or switch it on like the day after your first show/s? Or don't create any events till you have you workers employed (thought that was the normal thing to do) seems a bit weird to create events before you have a roster. Bit of a non issue inmho.

Edit: take AEW for example. The got there roster, then announced the show weeks in advance, then booked the show. They didn't announce the show, scramble around to hire wrestlers, then put the show on

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="stebbinsd" data-cite="stebbinsd" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="50547" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I honestly like the IDEA of mandatory pre-booking: Getting to book my supercards in advance in order to drive up PPV buys. However, it's too unforgiving at the start of the game.<p> </p><p> Literally, just as I am getting ready to book my first show after signing my roster of free agent talent, I'm getting an attendance penalty out of the box, not because I neglected to do the mandatory pre-booking, but because I literally COULDN'T do any pre-booking, since ... ya know ... I didn't have any wrestlers until just now.</p><p> </p><p> Hell, the biggest stars - the ones who I need to pre-book in order to avoid attendance penalties - tend to take the longest to make up their minds about signing with me.</p><p> </p><p> I don't want to simply disable mandatory pre-booking. It's a great mechanic, in theory. But it needs to be scaled back for my first couple of shows, in order to give me a chance to "get settled in."</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Turn it off and then turn it back on when it's "realistic." I do that with Strict Storylines too. Not fair to start me with a product demanding "X storylines over 70 heat" but not have a preset amount that are there, so that I automatically get dinged on my first card.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Zeel1" data-cite="Zeel1" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="50547" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I mean yeah you can, it's what I'd do. I know a lot of people are very stubbornly against things like that, consider it exploiting the system or cheating. <p> </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> People need to get a grip. It's a single-player game. If the tool is there to correct the issue but they personally consider it cheating then they should either get over themselves and use the tool, or deal with the penalty.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="tnyrwn" data-cite="tnyrwn" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="50547" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Just don't switch it on till Feb or switch it on like the day after your first show/s? Or don't create any events till you have you workers employed (thought that was the normal thing to do) seems a bit weird to create events before you have a roster. Bit of a non issue inmho.<p> </p><p> Edit: take AEW for example. The got there roster, then announced the show weeks in advance, then booked the show. They didn't announce the show, scramble around to hire wrestlers, then put the show on</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Right, that makes sense if you're starting a new promotion. But if you're taking one over you inherit their existing schedule, which means you can easily get boned. In which case, turning the penalty for this and storylines off until you get "settled" is reasonable IMHO. It's the same suspension of disbelief you have to engage in to believe that your avatar character could just walk right in and take over the book at an established company.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="tnyrwn" data-cite="tnyrwn" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="50547" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Just don't switch it on till Feb or switch it on like the day after your first show/s? Or don't create any events till you have you workers employed (thought that was the normal thing to do) seems a bit weird to create events before you have a roster. Bit of a non issue inmho.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Some people like to play the default database. In the default database, there is at least one company whose January event happens on Saturday of Week 1. This company and its event has existed since the franchise began. The difference is, this year has the 'mandatory pre-booking' feature which makes that company a bit of a bear. It means you're already behind from day one. No one's talking about starting a new company and scheduling a show too soon. In these cases, the whole "it's cheating" argument is incorrect because there's no way around it other than turning the feature off temporarily.</p>

Indeed. I also feel strongly that people should be able to play this however they want, which is funnily usually something people throw at 'purists' but I also don't think those purists should be excluded. I'd rather not have to strongarm people into messing with preferences if they'd rather go without it or else make them take a penalty that I can't imagine was intended in the first place.

This situation just feels like a bit of an oversight. Which is fine, it happens when you're juggling this much stuff. But there's really no way it was intended to make putting on a show in the first week (or first day, which makes regular TV shows an issue as well) of a start date just, a bad idea, with default settings. Especially considering the default database has that scenario.

The other thing is that newer players will be very likely to run into these things and they're not likely to think about going into options and preferences. I can say that from both my own experience and from seeing folks who are playing their first TEW now. That this is specifically something that would affect you in the first week compounds this.

I like the idea of making the first day of the save an exception, if you go right ahead with pre-bookings immediately the game treats it the same as it would if you'd done it a week in advance. That feels like a fair thing to me and a little bit smarter design.

Maybe the same process that WMMA uses could be applied for this. .

WMMA requires you to book cards a month in advance except for in the first week of the game where it's cut down to two weeks. .

Seems like the same process could be reworked for This situation where so long as you set up your pre booking on the first day it won't penalize you. .

Some people like to play the default database. In the default database, there is at least one company whose January event happens on Saturday of Week 1. This company and its event has existed since the franchise began. The difference is, this year has the 'mandatory pre-booking' feature which makes that company a bit of a bear. It means you're already behind from day one. No one's talking about starting a new company and scheduling a show too soon. In these cases, the whole "it's cheating" argument is incorrect because there's no way around it other than turning the feature off temporarily.

The OP was talking about not having enough workers in time for his event to be able to use pre booking I assumed that ment he started with a new company

I don't want to simply disable mandatory pre-booking. It's a great mechanic, in theory. But it needs to be scaled back for my first couple of shows, in order to give me a chance to "get settled in."

So you're being blatantly stubborn, and blaming the game for it? You can enable and disable the option at will. Use it.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="tnyrwn" data-cite="tnyrwn" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="50547" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The OP was talking about not having enough workers in time for his event to be able to use pre booking I assumed that ment he started with a new company</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><p> I got the same idea, if this is a company already set up then it should have a roster. If you are a new company signing new talent, then you also have the option of when to run your first show. Nothing against having it at the end of the month at all so you have plenty of time to set up prebooking.</p>