The only thing so far that I don't like about TEW08

Is that I'll have to wait a whole week after the demo, to buy the full version. If I could I'd buy the full version right from day 1. Man, I am ready to play it. Thanks for all the hard work Adam, it sounds like it will be a great game. P.S. Please consider moving up the resale release date.

[QUOTE=djlightning;423606]Is that I'll have to wait a whole week after the demo, to buy the full version. If I could I'd buy the full version right from day 1. Man, I am ready to play it. Thanks for all the hard work Adam, it sounds like it will be a great game. P.S. Please consider moving up the resale release date.[/QUOTE] Well, no one's saying you have to wait for the on-sale date to get your fix. Download it during the beta week and see if you can catch any last minute bugs. Then buy once the sale date arrives. If you're that hyped to get the game, you might have some good stuff in mind that might help during that beta period. Don't look at it as an inconvenience. Look at it as a chance to get your fix first and possibly help all of us buyers out a little in the process.

[QUOTE=cappyboy;423653]Well, no one's saying you have to wait for the on-sale date to get your fix. Download it during the beta week and see if you can catch any last minute bugs. Then buy once the sale date arrives. If you're that hyped to get the game, you might have some good stuff in mind that might help during that beta period. Don't look at it as an inconvenience. Look at it as a chance to get your fix first and possibly help all of us buyers out a little in the process.[/QUOTE] I will definately be getting it during that trial period, first day infact. It's just usually I have 1 month done in way faster than a week's time. Which means I'll have to wait before being able to continue on. That's what's always bothered me in the past, is not being able to continue on, until the release. Would almost rather have it so you could demo, and if you like it unlock the demo, sure it might have some bugs, but we all know that Adam always fixes his bugs, so that really isn't a good excuse for not releasing soon, as it's not like all the bugs are gone by the resale release, and some bugs won't even be caught until after you advance a month or two.

[QUOTE=Michael Wayne;423623]this setup has been the same since like, forever. And we need time to report bugs and stuff too. Otherwise we could have another TEW 04. ;)[/QUOTE] What was the deal with that? I've heard a couple of vague references round and about, but not the full story.

[QUOTE=1PWfan;423657]What was the deal with that? I've heard a couple of vague references round and about, but not the full story.[/QUOTE] It was Ryland's first attempt at a commercial game, and like most first attempts anyone makes at anything there were a lot of mistakes. The game didn't get the playtesting it needed and was a horrible system hog on top of that. There were over two dozen patches released for the game, several of which invalidated saved games. Poor documentation of worker attributes led to problems that have crippled mods like T-Zone to this day. The default Cornellverse database included no pictures but had about eight hundred workers, with most of the women weighing twice the maximum allowed by their gimmicks. The "Power and Paint" gimmick was unattainable by any worker in the game. The series got off to a very bumpy start, but to Adam's credit he fought tooth and nail to win back any goodwill he lost along the way and has a bigger fanbase now than during the EWR days.

I like the way GDS handles there games. Not only is the support great - but the fact that they release a fully functional demo before the release and then accept public feedback. It definitely allows every TEW player to put there 2 cents in before the complete version is released. On the other hand, I'd love to be able to play more than a month on June 1st, but I'd also like to be able to play a full game without bugs... which we all know will be there - little or big.

[QUOTE=shamelessposer;423772]It was Ryland's first attempt at a commercial game, and like most first attempts anyone makes at anything there were a lot of mistakes. The game didn't get the playtesting it needed and was a horrible system hog on top of that. There were over two dozen patches released for the game, several of which invalidated saved games. Poor documentation of worker attributes led to problems that have crippled mods like T-Zone to this day. The default Cornellverse database included no pictures but had about eight hundred workers, with most of the women weighing twice the maximum allowed by their gimmicks. The "Power and Paint" gimmick was unattainable by any worker in the game. The series got off to a very bumpy start, but to Adam's credit he fought tooth and nail to win back any goodwill he lost along the way and has a bigger fanbase now than during the EWR days.[/QUOTE] I dont even seem to remember this

[QUOTE=shamelessposer;423772]It was Ryland's first attempt at a commercial game, and like most first attempts anyone makes at anything there were a lot of mistakes. The game didn't get the playtesting it needed and was a horrible system hog on top of that. There were over two dozen patches released for the game, several of which invalidated saved games. Poor documentation of worker attributes led to problems that have crippled mods like T-Zone to this day. The default Cornellverse database included no pictures but had about eight hundred workers, with most of the women weighing twice the maximum allowed by their gimmicks. The "Power and Paint" gimmick was unattainable by any worker in the game. The series got off to a very bumpy start, but to Adam's credit he fought tooth and nail to win back any goodwill he lost along the way and has a bigger fanbase now than during the EWR days.[/QUOTE] Wow, yeah. I remember this. I busted out my 04 just now to check the memories. I spent HOURS readjusting things to "playable", just because I loved this crap so much. Still, it's kind of fun though.

[QUOTE=shamelessposer;423772]The game didn't get the playtesting it needed and was a horrible system hog on top of that.[/QUOTE] modders were made testers and instead of testing the game, they took the time to work on their mods. Not really Adam's fault. He just chose the wrong people at the time. I didn't think the game was THAT bad. But because it was so buggy, yes, the patches reached into the dozen+ mark. And mod makers overinflated stats.

The biggest thing that happened (or didn't happen) with that first release was that there were no worker pictures. As silly as it may seem, at least for me, it seemed really hard to get into the default database. and then a very talented (and very generous) person came along and made some pictures for the SWF workers...and the rest is history. Until those first pictures came out, I was almost ready to give up on getting into the cornellverse, but now I'm hooked and play the cornelverse almost exclusively. Of course the dozen(s) of patches were frustrating, especially when they invalidated save games, but I'm glad I stuck it out and can't wait for 2008 to be released.

Sticking with the topic. The only thing I don't like in this one, is the lack of being able to use full body shots. After WMMA come out, I thought for sure that would be implemented. That is my biggest, and probably only dissapointment with the game. My thoughts are... In Wrestling, looks count for quite a bit more then in WMMA. I don't understand the desire NOT to do it, at least... have the option, even if it's not something that is going to be done by Mods to start with. Just being able to put one's you personally have or desire to put in would be well worth it (to me anyways). Outside of that, the game looks to be incredible. I can't wait to get my hands on it, and will admit to being as anxious as the OP (although I don't have a problem waiting for a more polished game).

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;424657]Sticking with the topic. The only thing I don't like in this one, is the lack of being able to use full body shots. After WMMA come out, I thought for sure that would be implemented. That is my biggest, and probably only dissapointment with the game. My thoughts are... In Wrestling, looks count for quite a bit more then in WMMA. I don't understand the desire NOT to do it, at least... have the option, even if it's not something that is going to be done by Mods to start with. Just being able to put one's you personally have or desire to put in would be well worth it (to me anyways). Outside of that, the game looks to be incredible. I can't wait to get my hands on it, and will admit to being as anxious as the OP (although I don't have a problem waiting for a more polished game).[/QUOTE] would you like to do 3D renders of some 2-3,000+ workers? With the quality of most pics on the net (provided you can find one for EVERYONE) a full body shot would look awful. Unless you're talking Cornellverse. In which case, there's still a load more people in the C-verse than in the WMMA game.

[QUOTE=Michael Wayne;424660]would you like to do 3D renders of some 2-3,000+ workers? With the quality of most pics on the net (provided you can find one for EVERYONE) a full body shot would look awful. Unless you're talking Cornellverse. In which case, there's still a load more people in the C-verse than in the WMMA game.[/QUOTE] /nod. You have the option in WMMA NOT to use the full renders, and use the headshot instead. Just saying to have that option, and newer render's be made with full body shots as we go, in time I think it would take care of itself. It would also be fun using it with the one's already made as well. I understand the issue of how many there are to do, but I'm talking about as they upgrade them, not necessarily taking it on as a project to be done by a certain time, but as a project to be worked on throughout many more TEW games to come. Lots of people have done some full body shots on their own, it would be nice to be able to use some of them as well. Far as the real world... who cares, lol (Just kidding). I see it the same way, something to work on as time goes by. Same way we ended up with headshots in the first place, just work on it as we go.

It's hard to say what I don't like since the developers journal isn't yet finished and he could be saving the big guns till last.. But I will be dissapointed if this is as far as user-friendly changes to the roster overview and booking goes. It has been improved from last year, but it still seems like there's plenty of room for improvements, given what an important (and time consuming) part of the game it is. Still, game is looking nifty as heck. [quote]/nod. You have the option in WMMA NOT to use the full renders, and use the headshot instead. Just saying to have that option, and newer render's be made with full body shots as we go, in time I think it would take care of itself. It would also be fun using it with the one's already made as well. I understand the issue of how many there are to do, but I'm talking about as they upgrade them, not necessarily taking it on as a project to be done by a certain time, but as a project to be worked on throughout many more TEW games to come. Lots of people have done some full body shots on their own, it would be nice to be able to use some of them as well. Far as the real world... who cares, lol (Just kidding). I see it the same way, something to work on as time goes by. Same way we ended up with headshots in the first place, just work on it as we go.[/quote] I can agree with this. I think a bigger concern would be where to use them so that they don't eat up screen real estate. I haven't played WMMA, but as far as I understand, there's much less stats to take in when looking at a worker. It would be good in the match results though.

[QUOTE=crayon;424664] I can agree with this. I think a bigger concern would be where to use them so that they don't eat up screen real estate. I haven't played WMMA, but as far as I understand, there's much less stats to take in when looking at a worker. It would be good in the match results though.[/QUOTE] WMMA has as much, if not more stats.

WMMA has zero worker stats viewable by the player. You get a strengths and weaknesses screen, or a textual description of the fighter's style. So there's plenty of space for full-body renders. In TEW, there are really only two places you could get away with it :- a redesigned results screen especially for full-body renders (like in WMMA), and the main screen of the worker's profile. Is it really worth it?

[QUOTE=D-Lyrium;424844] In TEW, there are really only two places you could get away with it :- a redesigned results screen especially for full-body renders (like in WMMA), and the main screen of the worker's profile. Is it really worth it?[/QUOTE] exactly. And then you'd have to contend with multi-person matches. Like battle royals. It'd be a nightmare displaying even more than 4 on the screen.

[QUOTE=Michael Wayne;424857]exactly. And then you'd have to contend with multi-person matches. Like battle royals. It'd be a nightmare displaying even more than 4 on the screen.[/QUOTE] Actually, I just wanted to see them singly, in the normal screen (other workers) or something. Match up would be cool, but not necessary. Just a step forward in that department is all I was hoping for. If you two are that against it, then I won't mention it again.

Archived