The Official TNA / Impact / GFW Discussion Thread

Adam Ryland

And Hyde, that is a serious oversimplification of TNA's relationship to Spike. It's deeper than that and not just for the US market. In addition, Spike still subsidizes some of their more onerous contracts. There's a lot involved with promotion and cross-pollination if you will, among all of Spike's properties. If you attend any UFC event (especially the ones Spike broadcasts "for free"), you will see no fewer than six (and up to 15 on at least one occasion I remember) TNA workers in attendance, especially if the event is held in a major city (the 15 occurred at a UFC event at the O2 Arena in London). Obviously, WWE's contract with USA isn't structured the same way.

I don't know what the new deal's specifics are (and I can't even be arsed to ask) but I don't think it would be vastly different.

Yeah I know it was a simplification but credible sources have stated that part to be true. But that part was the main thing pertaining to ratings and subsequent loss of income. It needs to go down pretty drastic before it will hurt much if at all.

Valid points, and I'll admit I know nothing about the current contracts, but I'd also suspect that if viewership drops (and it has to an extent already)so will merchandise and PPV sales, so they still get hurt financially.

Also their ppv buys have not been an important part of TNA's income. While not so low as some sites "report" they are still not that crucial. Although Bischoff has commented that ppv buys are up since them coming in. Wonder who asked that question? :rolleyes: me if ya didn't know hehe.

Right now TNA is focusing on increasing their fanbase and overall visibility and brand awareness and that is exactly what they should be doing.

And yes ratings are down and yes that is unfortunate. The end of the world or TNA? Not by a long shot.

PS I am a bit more marky on EB's Facebook so please forgive me and take everything I say there with some more salt. More blind marks, haters etc to fight there.

I might be wrong on this one but dosen't tna fit a good portion of the talent cost? I know they don't do all of it but i heard once that they were paying a portion of angles contract.

I know spike pushes tna like crazy! ufc is a huge draw and you always see alot of tna guys on the show *and to be honest alot of wwe guys though*. I wonder if they give the same deal to ufc.

Petey Williams? - Standard "midcarder with nothing to do gets released" here, I think.

Matt Bentley? - Contract expired.

Elix Skipper? - See Williams. Also, he's a lot older then he looks, which may have had something to do with it.

Sonjay Dutt? - Contract dispute, apparantly.

Sabu? - Left to work for WWE..remember? :p

Diamond Dallas Page? - Retired from active competition.

Jimmy Rave? - See Williams.

Chris Harris? - Some reports say that his storyline complaining about his exposure was based on reality.

Brother Runt? - See Williams.

Jerry Lynn? - Career winding down, asked for release.

Also, TNA, for a very long time, has had a very overstacked roster. This was especially true back when they were only one hour long. Aside from DDP and Sabu, that could've also been a factor in the releases.

I dunno what it's like outside the US, but in the States, you cannot compare CSI and Law & Order. They're not even in the same solar system, ratings wise. Law & Order has been in decline for years now and NBC has tried its damndest to keep it relevant, including launching/developing multiple failed concepts (Crime & Punishment, Trial by Jury, Conviction, and soon, Los Angeles). On the other end of the spectrum, CBS has been begging Jerry Bruckheimer to produce another CSI and he refuses each time. Their audiences seem to have little in the way of overlap.

Okie doke. Bad example. I was just trying to name two well known crime shows. I assumed Law & Order was doing well over there, but come to think of it the show doesn't get much play over here either. :) NCIS? That work? This is wild speculation, but I'd have assumed half of NCIS's audience also watch some form of CSI. Then again, I was wrong about RAW/Impact, so I could easily be wrong about this.

I've said it before. I'll say it again. TNA don't deserve another show. They haven't earned it. If they can show some improvement in the rating, and keep it there, then maybe they can talk. That being said, a Knockouts-only show or an X-Division-only show would interest me to an extent.

I hear all this bitching "BUT TNA IS CLAIMING TO BE AN ALTERNATIVE!" um... just because their not Ring O' ****ing Honor doesn't make them any less of a alternative.

It's not the WWE, we're seeing guys be themselves and cut real promos. We're also seeing the some very talented under-card and some of the best stars of the past 2 decades. And when I do see wrestling, particularly from the younger talent, I'm seeing **** that I would not see over on RAW. I believe I saw a Piledriver done on monday, and that's pretty cool seeing as how you barely see those anymore.

While I see what you are saying,the reason the Sting heel turn worked yesterday was because of RVD.

Truth. and if TNA can pull off Heel Sting that'll be huge for them

Petey Williams? - Standard "midcarder with nothing to do gets released" here, I think.

Elix Skipper? - See Williams. Also, he's a lot older then he looks, which may have had something to do with it.

Chris Harris? - Some reports say that his storyline complaining about his exposure was based on reality.

Also, TNA, for a very long time, has had a very overstacked roster. This was especially true back when they were only one hour long. Aside from DDP and Sabu, that could've also been a factor in the releases.

Of those, the only two I'd like to see again is DDP and Petey Williams. He'll I'd trade out Kevin Nash and [TheBAND] for DDP providing he's still just as good as he was back in 2004.

I can't say Elix Skipper was much of a loss. He was talented sure, but he was ugly as sin and had a terrible voice.

I hear all this bitching "BUT TNA IS CLAIMING TO BE AN ALTERNATIVE!" um... just because their not Ring O' ****ing Honor doesn't make them any less of a alternative.

It's not the WWE, we're seeing guys be themselves and cut real promos. We're also seeing the some very talented under-card and some of the best stars of the past 2 decades. And when I do see wrestling, particularly from the younger talent, I'm seeing **** that I would not see over on RAW.

Part I: Your going to probably keep seeing that as long as they have less IN RING action then WWE. Meaning, they promote themselves as having more in ring action, then you watch it and you have less.

Part II: True, but after watching TNA routinely for a few months, all these incredible moves become just as boring (to me) as the one's used in WWE. The fact of the matter is, when I see it on WWE it is a rarety that actually gets over alot better then the same move would for TNA.

Pluss, part of that makes it look less realistic. I've mentioned it before, but I guess I can repeat it. When it looks like (and it does): Ok, I'm going to do my spot, CATCH ME (and that's how it looks), then you do your spot, and I'll catch you! It doesn't feel like they are actually competing, it feels like they are doing bad gymnastics (and sometimes GREAT gymnastics). I like this in smaller bytes, and I have to admit that's how it's been lately... They aren't as "Spotty" as they used to be (and that is good for me).

All in all though, as I said I really enjoy watching TNA, something I couldn't have done in the past. They have eliminated alot of the things (Or at least toned them down) that I had a problem watching. That's good for me over-all, and I am hoping that other's like me will start watching and help bring the ratings up to a competition level one day.

WWE Monday Night Raw on March 8, 2010:

Final rating: 3.4 cable rating (5.1 million viewers)

Quarter hours: 3.45, 3.15, 3.27, 3.15, 3.39, 3.56, 3.27 and 3.6 with a 3.98 overrun

Other notes:

* The show finished third and fifth place

* Among people 18-49, the show did a 2.28 rating

* Among males 18-49, the show did a 2.90 rating

* Was the lowest rated night in last 5 weeks among males 18-49

TNA Impact on March 8, 2010:

Final rating: 1.0 cable rating (1.4 million viewers)

Quarter hours: .99, .98, 1.00, 1.07, 1.07, 1.03, .95 and .76 with a 1.01 overrun

Other notes:

* Spike TV’s live telecast of “TNA iMPACT” in its new timeslot on Monday, March 8 drew more men in the key demographic of Men 18-34 and Men 18-49 than the show was previously drawing on Thursday nights. M18-49: .98 (+5%) and M18-34: .92 (+11%)

* Spike TV notes that a significant portion of the audience watch on DVR over the week (Live +7 rating) – and we will not have an accurate rating until those numbers are computed in about two weeks

Q1 – 0.99: Hogan and Abyss vs. AJ and Flair/Sting Returns

* Q2 – 0.98: AJ and Flair Interview/Kazarian, Daniels, Williams, Bischoff Promo

* Q3 – 1.0: Kazarian, Daniels, Williams X-Title Match/Shannon Moore Returns/Knockouts Tag Title Match

* Q4 – 1.07: D'Angelo Dinero Interview/Beautiful People Interview/Sting vs. RVD

* Q5 - 1.07: Sting Beats Down RVD, Hogan Appearance/Nash and Young Promo With The Band

* Q6 – 1.03: Nash and Young Promo With The Band Cont./Eric Young vs. Sean Waltman/Angle Interview With Soldiers, Anderson Beatdown

* Q7 – 0.95: Bubba Talks To Hogan/JJ and Foley Talk/Beer Money vs. JJ

* Q8 – 0.76: Abyss and Hogan Promo/Hogan and Abyss vs. AJ and Flair

* Overrun was a 1.01: Hogan and Abyss vs. AJ and Flair/Jeff Hardy Returns

FAIL.

I can't say Elix Skipper was much of a loss. He was talented sure, but he was ugly as sin and had a terrible voice.

Yeah because we all want our wrestlers to be good looking and have the voice of an angel. In fact I hear that's a pre-requisite in many wrestling schools these days. Before you even enter the ring you gotta be able to walk past a mirror without it cracking and talk like Denzel Washington. :rolleyes:

SPOILER IN WHITE!!!!

Brother Runt retuns on next week's Impact to team with Team 3D against Jimmy Hart and the Nasty Boyz

Yeah because we all want our wrestlers to be good looking and have the voice of an angel. In fact I hear that's a pre-requisite in many wrestling schools these days. Before you even enter the ring you gotta be able to walk past a mirror without it cracking and talk like Denzel Washington. :rolleyes:

Different people look for different things in wrestling. We don't all have the same standards :rolleyes:

Petey Williams? - Standard "midcarder with nothing to do gets released" here, I think. Also contract was up and they did want to keep him. Plus he has more upside that most of the others here imho.

Matt Bentley? - Contract expired. Also wanted to do outside ventures with his band.

Elix Skipper? - See Williams nope. Also, he's a lot older then he looks, which may have had something to do with it. Lost in the X Shuffle as undercarder

Sonjay Dutt? - Contract dispute, apparently. Yep end of contract wanted too much money

Sabu? - Left to work for WWE..remember? :pYep

Diamond Dallas Page? - Retired from active competition. At that time he is back wrestling occasionally now

Jimmy Rave? - See Williams. No see Skipper especially after Hoyte left

Chris Harris? - Some reports say that his storyline complaining about his exposure was based on reality. Yep plus a WWE contract came his way

Brother Runt? - See Williams. See Skipper

Jerry Lynn? - Career winding down, asked for release. Also wanted to do ROH and they had a change in Road Agents

Also, TNA, for a very long time, has had a very overstacked roster. This was especially true back when they were only one hour long. Aside from DDP and Sabu, and Harris and Petey and Sonjay that was also a factor in the releases.

You gave a very good base just added on it a tad for a fuller picture this is based of what I know and slight interpretations and is mostly apparently as that was what was reported.

I see many on this list possibly making a return but not in the near future and some like Runt only for cameos. Also EB has posted on his Facebook he will not sign DDP is that a work or shoot? You never know but I am leaning towards Shoot.

Well Um, yeah, if your gonna make it to the top of this business! I imagine thats why Daniels got pushed and he was left to rot in the Diamonds In The Rough stable.

Actually I was dissapointed that after xXx broke up they didn't feud. If only to squeeze what overness Skipper had and pass it on to daniels.

EDIT: Someone wanna explain all this great things I heard about Chris Harris? back in 2004 everyone was bitching about Jarrett holding him down but I'm sorry, of America's Most Wanted I always saw James Storm having more mainevent potential.

Different people look for different things in wrestling. We don't all have the same standards :rolleyes:

Maybe so, but if I wanna see good looking people with a voice, I'll watch a movie. If I want to be entertained by a wrestling show, I'll look for in ring skill over looks. I mean isn't that why people like wrestling? Or am I missing something?

Maybe so, but if I wanna see good looking people with a voice, I'll watch a movie. If I want to be entertained by a wrestling show, I'll look for in ring skill over looks. I mean isn't that why people like wrestling? Or am I missing something?

Short answer? NO.

Long answer? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Haven't wrestling fans been using "movies are fake" as a response to "isn't wrestling fake?" Why would your standards be so different in what you wanted to look at in one form of entertainment vs. another? If TNA was some sort of pure ring-work promotion that pushed little ugly guys regardless of appearance, maybe you'd have a point, but the last time they tried anything close to a performance based promotion they were out of money inside of a year.

Agree with Lazor for a simple reference just look at TEW. See how many different skills are involved? See in how many different ways a worker can get over? See all the different product preferences etc?

Skipper was always a midcarder at best and a good undercard worker normally. I liked the guy but that's personal.

in early tna i think skipper was actully a good draw......he was part of XXX *a good stable in my view* and he had a few runs with the tag titles. I will always remember skipper walking the top of the cage. It was insane and looked great.....the guy would take risks in the ring and i think he was pretty over in the weekley ppv era.