Conservatives/Liberals in the C-Verse

I think I'll be slightly offended if most of the USPW roster aren't hardcore Conservatives, even their younger guys. You can't tell me Happy Elwood wasn't a Young Republican a few short years ago.

And Giant Redwood? It's a known fact he has Ronald Reagan's face tatooed in a very intimate location on his body.

I think terms like "prude" and "loose" (or whatever) could generate just as much confusion. That could be minconstrued as the morality preferences relating just to sexual-related issues. Someone who is fundamentally conservative may have had a major issue with the Attitude era of the WWE beyond the use of TnA on TV...

But "Prude" and "Loose" are still significantly better fits. Even if they might be a bit narrow. At least you're in the morality ballpark with them rather than bringing politics to mind like "conservative" and "liberal". In some places, Conservative and Liberal are the names of the political parties. I think his native England might be one of them. Been a while since I watched British programs that have mentioned the political parties. Point remains though. I'd have been suggesting terms that were less potentially muddy.

Nah, he needs to be in WBW... so I can finally get to that storyline I've always wanted.

Always got distracted and couldn't get my time with WBW that I wanted. Stupid QUEST and APWF...

Who says the next 1975 mod NEEDS to be too far down the road from the last one?

Then again, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to put workers where they belong to simulate being "a few months back". I wouldn't mind telling the full WBW story, after all.

Then again, I kinda want to do a "last days of UCR" thing with the 2005 mod I'm working on. Would be neat to have a diary that just ENDS come mid-2007.

Really, it comes down to this: Comic Book Supervillians vs. ****s, which do I want more? Never in my life have I experienced such a difficult choice.

Argh, that's what I meant, WBW.

As for moving it forward, it won't be too far down the timeline. However, I feel that even though I'm doing a historical mod, it's not like the real world where hyperspecific dates are important and having a little bit of difference and growth similar to what the up-to-date CornellVerse experiences just adds to the history people who've played the earlier ones can draw from. Imagine if the CornellVerse for TEW10 was the same as 08- I know I'd be let down.

Argh, that's what I meant, WBW.

As for moving it forward, it won't be too far down the timeline. However, I feel that even though I'm doing a historical mod, it's not like the real world where hyperspecific dates are important and having a little bit of difference and growth similar to what the up-to-date CornellVerse experiences just adds to the history people who've played the earlier ones can draw from. Imagine if the CornellVerse for TEW10 was the same as 08- I know I'd be let down.

Well, tell that to derek_b.

OH SNAP! :p

But "Prude" and "Loose" are still significantly better fits. Even if they might be a bit narrow. At least you're in the morality ballpark with them rather than bringing politics to mind like "conservative" and "liberal". In some places, Conservative and Liberal are the names of the political parties. I think his native England might be one of them. Been a while since I watched British programs that have mentioned the political parties. Point remains though. I'd have been suggesting terms that were less potentially muddy.

Although I agree, I want to point out that Adam Ryland is British, so we must assume he knows exactly what's he's doing when using Liberal/Conservative as an axis in Personality.

Although I agree, I want to point out that Adam Ryland is British, so we must assume he knows exactly what's he's doing when using Liberal/Conservative as an axis in Personality.

Right. And Liberal/Conservative still works. Even if it isn't ideal phrasing because of the political uses. Enough people are going to know the intended meaning to help get those who are confused on the right track.

I didn't think of it meaning politics for a second, even if it hadn't said it was a personality trait I wouldn't have. What implications to the game play would your political leaning have? I can't see how it would. Your morality lean to con or lib could (and now will) have a very immediate effect on choices, thus makes much more sense. It was just deductive reasoning and a bit of common sense.

Before anyone says it your political lean has zero influence on morality choices, it's the other way around your morality lean (among other things) has influence on your political choices.

In the end though it doesn't really matter as your moral and political lean are generally going to be around the same ballpark.

What implications to the game play would your political leaning have? I can't see how it would.
Well, let's see.

Characters with similar political leanings might be more likely to form friendships as they discover similarities in their worldview, while characters on opposite ends of the political spectrum might have a greater tendency to rub each other the wrong way.

Extremely conservative or extremely liberal owners might find ways to show favoritism to like-minded members of their roster, allowing a booker slightly more or less leeway in renegotiations as the case may be.

Highly partisan workers might be prone to making controversial political comments on a live mic now and then (see Jerry Lawler). Likewise, when taking one of 2010's Outside Media Opportunities, an extremely conservative or extremely liberal worker might be at greater risk of triggering a backfire as he says something in the interview well outside of the accepted mainstream.

Etc.

In the end it's moot, as here "conservative" and "liberal" are being used purely to denote degrees of willingness to participate in objectionable content.

It was just deductive reasoning and a bit of common sense.
A quick scan of the thread shows multiple posters expressing some confusion with the use of these "politically loaded" terms. If it's a fairly common confusion, perhaps there are more productive things to be done here than merely calling those who don't see it your way incapable of deduction and lacking in common sense.

There is nothing wrong with the wording the way it is. You know what it means now, and the more important thing is that Mods know what it is.

I don't know why anyone would think that someone NOT seeing these threads would automatically think it was a political tie to the character. I understand why some of the people here would think that though, because of all the debates we have had (Politically), but I don't think the "common" or new person would actually think of it in that way though.

Well, let's see.

Characters with similar political leanings might be more likely to form friendships as they discover similarities in their worldview, while characters on opposite ends of the political spectrum might have a greater tendency to rub each other the wrong way.

Extremely conservative or extremely liberal owners might find ways to show favoritism to like-minded members of their roster, allowing a booker slightly more or less leeway in renegotiations as the case may be.

Highly partisan workers might be prone to making controversial political comments on a live mic now and then (see Jerry Lawler). Likewise, when taking one of 2010's Outside Media Opportunities, an extremely conservative or extremely liberal worker might be at greater risk of triggering a backfire as he says something in the interview well outside of the accepted mainstream.

Etc.

In the end it's moot, as here "conservative" and "liberal" are being used purely to denote degrees of willingness to participate in objectionable content. A quick scan of the thread shows multiple posters expressing some confusion with the use of these "politically loaded" terms. If it's a fairly common confusion, perhaps there are more productive things to be done here than merely calling those who don't see it your way incapable of deduction and lacking in common sense.

I think that would have to do with having a professional attitude vs not having one. I'm a professional real estate agent and musician. I don't care if I work with people that have different opinions than me or not. Most of the time I don't even ask the people I work with what they're political views are. I have friends that I see eye to eye with and friends that I disagree with on everything. Being conservative or liberal politically has nothing to do with being open minded and tolerant of others, it's just a good way to be especially as a professional. (I hope this doesn't sound like a philosophy lesson).

If I had a worker that treated others differently because of they're political views, I'd discipline him even if he had the exact same political views that I have.

...why do I get the feeling you misread his post as saying "ethnic"? :p

No, I realize entirely what he said.

To simply substitute "ethical versus unethical" for "liberal versus conservative" is to label one of those as a worldview that is unethical... and that is very insulting insinuation to many people.

Now, that substitution would be fine if the personality trait was simply limited to question of morality. However, and this is entirely presumptuous of me, but I doubt that will be the case. It doesn't seem like Adam adds in a feature like this very often where it will effect one thing and one thing only. So I expect the "liberal versus conservative" personality trait will not simply effect whether a worker has issue with risky promotions or angles.

A simple example of what else it could effect would be the backstage rules feature. A fundamentally conservative individual might prefer a backstage environment with specific "strict" rules, while that environment might not agree with someone overly liberal. And vice versa.

I think that would have to do with having a professional attitude vs not having one. I'm a professional real estate agent and musician. I don't care if I work with people that have different opinions than me or not. Most of the time I don't even ask the people I work with what they're political views are. I have friends that I see eye to eye with and friends that I disagree with on everything. Being conservative or liberal politically has nothing to do with being open minded and tolerant of others, it's just a good way to be especially as a professional. (I hope this doesn't sound like a philosophy lesson).
Certainly, there are plenty of examples of people with wildly different worldviews working alongside each other and either putting those differences aside or seeing that they never come up. On the other hand, there are plenty of examples of people dividing along political lines in the workplace to significant acrimony. There's a good reason why politics are listed alongside sex and religion in that old aphorism about what topics shouldn't be discussed in polite company!

I agree with you that being a professional is "a good way to be" but not everyone is one. You may be easy to get along with (and that's a great thing), but others can be prone to a political divide much in the same way that they can be egotistical, ruthless, selfish, mercenary and otherwise difficult to manage.

I didn't think of it meaning politics for a second, even if it hadn't said it was a personality trait I wouldn't have. What implications to the game play would your political leaning have? I can't see how it would. Your morality lean to con or lib could (and now will) have a very immediate effect on choices, thus makes much more sense. It was just deductive reasoning and a bit of common sense.

Well, Conservatives would get a bonus when playing heel gimmicks, especially if they are playing gimmicks where they portray millionaires. In addition, conservative workers may independently seek work as financial analysts or political pundits. In addition, conservative workers may post idiotic hate-speech on their WWE-sponsored twitter, causing your promotion to take a slight hit in prestige if the story is picked up by the legitimate media.

Wow, that was easy. :p

Well, Conservatives would get a bonus when playing heel gimmicks, especially if they are playing gimmicks where they portray millionaires. In addition, conservative workers may independently seek work as financial analysts or political pundits. In addition, conservative workers may post idiotic hate-speech on their WWE-sponsored twitter, causing your promotion to take a slight hit in prestige if the story is picked up by the legitimate media.

Wow, that was easy. :p

A Liberal owner could tank your promotion by deducting funds from the business account so he can adopt panda bears. Or insist that you MUST use this twenty foot tall George W. Bush puppet he just bought at a Code Pink yard sale as part of the set to the next pay-per-view. Or cause a hit to prestige by producing several seasons of Captain Planet.

Now, that substitution would be fine if the personality trait was simply limited to question of morality. However, and this is entirely presumptuous of me, but I doubt that will be the case. It doesn't seem like Adam adds in a feature like this very often where it will effect one thing and one thing only. So I expect the "liberal versus conservative" personality trait will not simply effect whether a worker has issue with risky promotions or angles.

A simple example of what else it could effect would be the backstage rules feature. A fundamentally conservative individual might prefer a backstage environment with specific "strict" rules, while that environment might not agree with someone overly liberal. And vice versa.

That's interesting and I could see it in gameplay, though it seems to exclude certain combinations.

For example, we can imagine workers who are willing to do edgy or risque content on-screen/in the ring partly because they're reassured by the existence of the backstage rules. A strict "no drinking or drugs" rule backstage might reassure a worker in an ultraviolent brawl that his opponent in the ring won't be high as a kite and prone to making an injury-causing mistake. On the other side of the coin, we can imagine workers who are unwilling to participate in edgy or risque content on-screen, but who are nevertheless alcoholics or drug takers who would be inconvenienced and irritated by strict backstage rules.

From a practical standpoint, won't most players look at this personality trait primarily to see what they can and can't get a given worker to do? "Conservative" will be the term for the fuddy-duddies and prudes who won't do the edgy and risque segments we want them to, and "Liberal" will be the term for the poor saps who will. Are those really the best possible terms?

At any rate, I'll be just fine if they remain as is, but I suspect the terms are so politically loaded that there will be others who misinterpret the meaning.

Archived