The Official ROH Discussion Thread

Wrestling Century

Saw the show. Thought it showed promise, although it didn't do much for expanding the characters. Future Shock & Lethal came off very bland to me in their segments. Lots of cliches.

Good wrestling, so I'll give it some episodes to settle in. Hopefully it'll have less adds and more wrestling in the future... something I'm a bit shocked to say about ROH to be honest.

I watched the first episode last night on their site and I did not think their production values were all that bad. Granted they were not great but the way people were talking on here, I thought their production values would be comparable to that of Angelo Poffo's ICW.

The show sort of reminded me of the AWA show that used to run on ESPN. Maybe OldStingberg is right and that is what they are trying to go for. I mean their whole thing is to bring wrestling back to its roots...or maybe they just couldn't afford a better set-up.

Oh and I must say that the Bravado Brothers must being doing something right because the minute they came on screen I wanted them off (And I felt the same way about them when I saw them live back in March.). Not because of their skills in the ring because I thought they put on a good match. I really am not sure what it is, they just annoy me because of who they are. Maybe that will be a new phenomenon in wrestling Bravado Brother heat.

Caught ROH tonight. Got to see Lethal vs Gernico. Was a good solid match. I've seen it before but haven't in quite some time. I know that a lot of ppl really dig it and i must say that i do as well. I'm going to have to pin the time somewhere so i don't miss it next week. Good stuff.

I could get used to watching the show on Thursdays. Works really well into my a schedule. This week's episode slightly bummed me out in seeing the guys being pushed (Hass, Benjamin, Bennett, Lethal) who I find rather bland, compared to the guys who aren't (Jacobs and Generico) who I find far more appealing. Cornette has his priorities. They may well be what's 'right for business'. However, I came out of the show feeling that, in a few weeks, I may stop watching. Not out of rage, but lack of interest in the product.

The extra time in Generico/Lethal was awesome. I'm such a Generico mark. Also dug the Mike Bennett package, and Roderick Strong showing some personality.

I'm finding it harder and harder to watch ROH on TV because of the time slot. The UFC and a lot of college football is a bigger priority for me, and probably many others, which makes Saturday nights impractical. I think they'd have a lot more success if they moved the show to Fridays at the same time. That's not much better of a time slot, but it has the benefit of having less competition for the eyeballs of males age 18-34, and there's already a lot of wrestling fans watching TV that night for Smackdown.

Thoughts from a new ROH TV viewer

My thoughts based on a wrestling fan new to ROH.

Hearing about ROH from others years ago (mainly how AJ Styles, Joe, Daniels, Punk etc..were in ROH) I was one who went and bought their "Best in the World", Bloodstained Honor" and "Stars of ROH" DVDs when I found them at Best Buy or F.Y.E. and honestly I bought the DVDs based on "name value" from WWE or TNA. (Names I did not know held little interest to me)

After watching the first 2 ROH shows online, I will say it's ok at best right now.

For the first show the opening tag between Future Shock and Bravados was not bad but my first thought was that both teams need to learn how to do interviews/video segments as they felt flat. When the Bravados came out I am sorry but I hate their look as they look like the "Foo Fighters". As for the the WGTT vs. KOW tag match I liked that one again because of WGTT (but KOW looks like a good team). As far as the video packages with Lethal and the PPV report, how many times (and for how long) must we be reminded that WGTT were taken out with steel chairs. Lethal just came off as flat as honestly everyone knows where you have been the last 5 years so just say it.

For the second show that was better as I could believe Mike Bennett to be a total jerk. Now the TV Title match was a letdown sorry, from a viewership standpoint Lethal is obviously going to bring in more people then El Generico so the title change was a given. My problem with the match though was, ok it's announced that three minutes are left in the match and the pace of the match fell off the face of the earth. I was waiting for that fast paced "have to get the win now" action that seems to happen every time a time limit is to expire but it did not happen. (the first time limit).

As for the repeated come see ROH videos maybe it's my watching of TNA but Jay and Mark Briscoe look like a poor mans L.A.X.

As I stated it's ok right now and being a GA member (watching free) I will continue, but it will take more for me to fork out money to buy PPVs or be a "Ringside Member".

For me right now its

1. TNA

2. WWE

3. ROH

My thoughts based on a wrestling fan new to ROH.

Hearing about ROH from others years ago (mainly how AJ Styles, Joe, Daniels, Punk etc..were in ROH) I was one who went and bought their "Best in the World", Bloodstained Honor" and "Stars of ROH" DVDs when I found them at Best Buy or F.Y.E. and honestly I bought the DVDs based on "name value" from WWE or TNA. (Names I did not know held little interest to me)

After watching the first 2 ROH shows online, I will say it's ok at best right now.

For the first show the opening tag between Future Shock and Bravados was not bad but my first thought was that both teams need to learn how to do interviews/video segments as they felt flat. When the Bravados came out I am sorry but I hate their look as they look like the "Foo Fighters". As for the the WGTT vs. KOW tag match I liked that one again because of WGTT (but KOW looks like a good team). As far as the video packages with Lethal and the PPV report, how many times (and for how long) must we be reminded that WGTT were taken out with steel chairs. Lethal just came off as flat as honestly everyone knows where you have been the last 5 years so just say it.

For the second show that was better as I could believe Mike Bennett to be a total jerk. Now the TV Title match was a letdown sorry, from a viewership standpoint Lethal is obviously going to bring in more people then El Generico so the title change was a given. My problem with the match though was, ok it's announced that three minutes are left in the match and the pace of the match fell off the face of the earth. I was waiting for that fast paced "have to get the win now" action that seems to happen every time a time limit is to expire but it did not happen. (the first time limit).

As for the repeated come see ROH videos maybe it's my watching of TNA but Jay and Mark Briscoe look like a poor mans L.A.X.

As I stated it's ok right now and being a GA member (watching free) I will continue, but it will take more for me to fork out money to buy PPVs or be a "Ringside Member".

For me right now its

1. TNA

2. WWE

3. ROH

The Briscoes are nothing like LAX. Watch some of their matches and you will see.

I haven't seen any of the new ROH shows but I have seen them live within the last year here in Michigan. They put on good live shows from my experience. Well worth the money and I am not an ROH slappy that praises everything they do.

I guess Lethal's name has a wider reach, and that name could draw in viewers (maybe, I mean, is he that big a deal?) but I find El Generico to have so much more potential in terms of catching eyes and keeping interest. He's colorful. He's energetic. He's wacky. He gets great, unique crowd reaction. I'm sure he's got some wacky backstory (I've only heard a truncated Nacho Libre style tale) I find him a billion times more interesting than Jay Lethal, who post-Machismo is the blandest human alive.

I'm an odd one though, so maybe I'm in the minority. Cornette clearly disagrees with me.

Briscoes as LAX cetainly is a weird one, but... If that's the impression you're getting from the show, that's not your fault. ROH should give them more time to shine and differentiate themselves. Get that cutting promos in pick-up trucks, brandishing shotguns and such.

For the first show the opening tag between Future Shock and Bravados was not bad but my first thought was that both teams need to learn how to do interviews/video segments as they felt flat. When the Bravados came out I am sorry but I hate their look as they look like the "Foo Fighters".

Man that was a good one and you are right they do look like they could be in the Foo Fighters. Like I said in my previous post I am not a fan of them at all, I mean I think they are good workers but they just annoy me.

Now the TV Title match was a letdown sorry, from a viewership standpoint Lethal is obviously going to bring in more people then El Generico so the title change was a given.

I guess Lethal's name has a wider reach, and that name could draw in viewers (maybe, I mean, is he that big a deal?) but I find El Generico to have so much more potential in terms of catching eyes and keeping interest. He's colorful. He's energetic. He's wacky. He gets great, unique crowd reaction. I'm sure he's got some wacky backstory (I've only heard a truncated Nacho Libre style tale) I find him a billion times more interesting than Jay Lethal, who post-Machismo is the blandest human alive.

I'm an odd one though, so maybe I'm in the minority. Cornette clearly disagrees with me.

I agree with you Self and I also think that Generico is more over with the ROH fanbase. All the times I saw them live, Generico was/is one of the most over members on the roster. He just has the "it" factor that draws the fans in.

• 2 weeks later...

It wasn't a re run where I was at although it felt like it because the TV title match between Mike Bennett and Jay Lethal went to a draw once again however this time when lethal called for extra time Mike Bennett walked away from the match.

I didn't get to see the show on Saturday because I was at another wrestling show but I caught the replay and it was pretty good. Can't wait till next week when the All night express and The Briscoes have their rematch (I think it's next week if not its two weeks from yesterday.)

• 2 weeks later...
Just got back from the show in Collinsville, my first time seeing ROH live. Easily the most fun I've ever had at a wrestling show. All Night Express vs. American Wolves was fantastic.

Lucky you. How was the rest of the card? Looked like a good card, although I am so far behind on ROH that I didn't even know there was a show until I saw you say you went in your dynasty. :p

Lucky you. How was the rest of the card? Looked like a good card, although I am so far behind on ROH that I didn't even know there was a show until I saw you say you went in your dynasty. :p

There wasn't any other match on the show that I'd point to and say "OMG YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS!", but it was a solid show from top to bottom. I was entertained by every match, though that might not translate quite as well on the DVD with matches like Ciampa/Ridge and Elgin/Redwood, where I spent a lot of the time being amused by what Nana and Truth Martini were doing outside the ring. The tag title match, both of the Briscoe singles matches and the women's match were all pretty good, and Generico vs. Bennett was fun thanks to how much the crowd hated Bennett. Say what you want about that guy's style, but he does a really good job at making people despise him.

I'd already enjoyed the show quite a bit heading into the main event, but then the Wolves and ANX came out and blew everything else out of the water. Just an awesome match, on par with some of ROH's best tag team matches IMO. If any team other than ANX takes the titles off of Haas & Benjamin, something is wrong with the lizardman.

• 1 month later...

So...anyone else excited for Final Battle?

Lots to be excited about. Mainly Richards vs Edwards III, almost justifies the $15 price tag on its own to me, even if the match is only half as good as their Best In The World clash we are in for a treat.

The other two titles are also set to be defended with 'Dem Boys' The Briscoe Brothers going for tag gold, while Lethal defends the TV title against both Generico and Mike Bennett.

Can't exactly say the rest of the card is weak either. Elgin vs TJ Perkins is bound to be a good match. We can expect many holy **** moments from the tag gauntlet. And a Roderick Strong invitational, should be a good mystery opponent for a show as big as this.

And don't forget, Steen is back wrestling in a ROH ring for the first time in 12 months, another match you don't want to miss.

All in all a great show, and one I sure as hell won't be missing.

Full Card:

World Title Match

Davey Richards with Team Richards defends vs. "Die Hard" Eddie Edwards with UFC Hall of Famer Dan "The Beast" Severn

World Tag Team Title Match

Shelton Benjamin & Charlie Haas defends vs. Jay & Mark Briscoe

World TV Title Match

Jay Lethal defends vs. El Generico vs. "The Prodigy" Mike Bennett with Brutal Bob

Grudge Match

Steve Corino vs. Kevin Steen

*If Steen wins he is reinstated.

**Jimmy Jacobs is the guest referee

***Jim Cornette will be in attendance at ringside

Roderick Strong Invitational Challenge

Roderick Strong with Truth Martini vs. ????

Tag Team Gauntlet Match

The All Night Express vs. Future Shock vs. The Bravados vs. The Young Bucks vs. Caprice Coleman & Cedric Alexander

*The winning team will receive a future shot at the World Tag Team Titles

Special Challenge Match

"Unbreakable" Michael Elgin with Truth Martini vs. TJ Perkins

Also scheduled to appear:

- Tommaso Ciampa with The Embassy

None of the matches are doing anything for me. I mean, Edwards vs Richards is going to be awesome... in that typical 20+ minutes ROH way that I enjoy (their last match may get my MOTY vote this year) but find it difficult to get excited about beforehand.

None of my favorite ROH guys are up to much. Generico's in with two guys that really don't float my boat. TJP's gonna get squashed. Future Shock & The Bucks are stuck in a Gauntlet, a match type I dislike.

I've always found ROH kinda bland and colourless, but it almost seems like Jim Cornette has made it even more so.

• 2 weeks later...

FB spoilers below, yo:

Overall, I think I'd say I enjoyed Final Battle and definitely got my money's worth. But I thought Edwards/Richards III was kind of a letdown. All that time spent hyping up Edwards training with Dan Severn, and it didn't really amount to anything at all within the context of the match. I thought the last few minutes were overkill too. Still, I dug the end with Steen coming out. That dude should really liven up the main event picture.

Oh, and ROH really should try and bring in Maria on a semi-regular basis. Aside from being ridiculously hot (seriously, did you see her? :eek:), I thought she added a lot to Bennett's schtick.

I thought Edwards / Richards was good and they did really well, but I agree with your assessment and that I expected just something extra but I can't think of what they could have done.

Loved Steen / Corino thought the whole match and post-match stuff was really well executed. Very good opener, loved the suplex catch and some of the other spots in that match.

El Generico was great, I really like him and thought the rope to rope to Generico and then the DDT was really good. I really thought the commentary was quiet good as well.

Pretty much a good show all round, but seeing some reviews it almost seems some ROH fans are spoilt :p One site I read, some guy (who watched on a FREE steam, so had no right to complain) was crapping on everything. I thought I must have watched a different show.

REALLY enjoyed the show as it's the first iPPV I've got. Steen is amazing and