Official TV Show Discussion Thread

GatorBait19

As someone who loves the Real World (early reality TV) I never understood the whole pageant thing and think all involved should be arrested and locked up for the good of humanity.

I agree.

As someone who watches Realtiy TV (The Challenge, Amazing Race, Big Brother, and Survivor.) even I would not watch that crap. In fact, I didn't even know what the hell a Honey Boo Boo was until about a month ago. I thought it was the name of the whale from Carvel Ice Cream...well not really but it would be a cool name for an ice cream cake.

So, so glad to finally have The Walking Dead back on TV.

In other news, Mockingbird Lane airs (I think) this coming Friday. That'd be the re-envisioned Munsters for those unaware. Not sure how I feel about a re-telling of The Munsters, especially one done without Brad Garrett as Herman, (he'd be SO perfect to play the part - his Herman impression was spot on), but I'll definitely give it a watch. Could be a decent Halloween special.

The Munsters is what inspired me to pick out Mockingbird Heights as my location, in case anyone was wondering.

:o:):):cool::):):o

So I spent the last couple of days getting caught up on Young Justice. I'm on the last episode of Season 1 and honestly, I rank this right up there with Batman: TAS and Batman Beyond. Really good story telling and a lot of action.

I'm enjoying it so much I'm giving the comics a shot. I know they're going to be different, but I love these character so much.

In other news, Mockingbird Lane airs (I think) this coming Friday. That'd be the re-envisioned Munsters for those unaware. Not sure how I feel about a re-telling of The Munsters, especially one done without Brad Garrett as Herman, (he'd be SO perfect to play the part - his Herman impression was spot on), but I'll definitely give it a watch. Could be a decent Halloween special.

The Munsters is what inspired me to pick out Mockingbird Heights as my location, in case anyone was wondering.

When I was a kid (About ten years old or so.) my family and I went to Al Lewis' (Grandpa from the original Munsters) restaurant in NYC. Anyway, my sister and I took a picture with him and he asked us if we were there because we watched him on the Munsters.

We both said no, we were there because he was on Car 54 Where Are You? Well he was shocked that we were not fans of the Munsters (Which I was but I just liked Car 54 much better.) because he said he had never had kids approach him to talk about his work on Car 54. He was thrilled over this.

The point of this story? None really, you brought up the Munsters so I felt like telling it.:)

When I was a kid (About ten years old or so.) my family and I went to Al Lewis' (Grandpa from the original Munsters) restaurant in NYC. Anyway, my sister and I took a picture with him and he asked us if we were there because we watched him on the Munsters.

We both said no, we were there because he was on Car 54 Where Are You? Well he was shocked that we were not fans of the Munsters (Which I was but I just liked Car 54 much better.) because he said he had never had kids approach him to talk about his work on Car 54. He was thrilled over this.

The point of this story? None really, you brought up the Munsters so I felt like telling it.:)

Well, now that you've brought up Car 54, Where Are You?...

A while back - I forget how long, but it's been long enough that it's now become a part of my normal routine - this channel popped up on my cable service. May have been there already, I dunno, but I don't think so. Pretty sure I would have noticed. One day it was just... there.

MeTV, this network is called. It's loaded to the gills with all kinds of classic TV shows - The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis, (which I had been wanting to watch again for the better part of fifteen years), the original Star Trek, Lost In Space, Perry Mason, The Untouchables, The Honeymooners, Make Room For Daddy, My Three Sons, The Rifleman, and Car 54, Where Are You?, among others.

To the surprise of absolutely no one, I've come to watch the daylights out of this channel quite a bit, (from time to time)... I like to throw Slingblade references in here and there when I can. They took The Untouchables off not long ago, I think, and brought in Kojak to take its place, and I've since been watching a lot of Kojak.

Just curious if you (or anyone else for that matter) had this station and watched it sometimes, is all.

As for Car 54, Where Are You?...

I love that show as well, but The Munsters has been one of my all-time favorites for forever, three months, sixteen days, nine hours, and twenty-seven minutes, so...

There is that.

:o:o:o:):o:o:o

Good thing about Car 54 though: it's kinda new to me. It's been YEARS since I've seen these episodes, and it's possible there's some I haven't seen at all yet. Kinda like Kojak, this is my first run with that show... ever. So it really is new to me.

Long story short...

I like this channel, is what I'm trying to get at. I imagine not all that many people nowadays are as into classic television as I am, but this network is almost like having the Nick @ Nite of my childhood back again. I'm happy to see that.

:)

Just curious if you (or anyone else for that matter) had this station and watched it sometimes, is all.

Yes I get it as well, honestly I did not know they had Car 54 on it until you brought it up. I will have to check it out.

I watch it from time to time, the show I usually end up watching the most on that station is the Rifleman. Not because I like the show, it is all right, but because I do not have cable on my television in my kitchen and so I am limited as to what I can watch and usually the Rifleman is the best thing on so I end up watching it.

Does anyone know when Episode 11 of Young Justice will air? I'm on Episode 10 now and I really can't wait for more.

January 2013. Cartoon Network took it off the air in favor of re-runs of johnny freaking test to celebrate their 20th birthday with.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have that song stuck in my head now...

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY! CARTOON NETWORK! YOU'RE THE NETWORK FOR WATCHING CARTOONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

At least it finally got "We're the Planeteers! You can be one too! 'Cause saving our planet is the thing to do!" out of there I guess.

Strange, the tunes that get lodged in my brain.

Anyway, I liked Mockingbird Lane; enjoyed the show and wouldn't mind seeing it brought back as a regular show. No idea if that's in the cards or not tho. Kinda reminded me a lot of the Addams Family movies of the early 90s, and I have always been a big fan of those. It'd take some getting used to, seeing the Munster family presented in this way, but it was pretty good I thought.

MeTV shows Car 54, Where Are You? on the weekends, late Saturday nights/sunday mornings in the night owls hours. I saw a couple of episodes of that here and there when I was a kid, but this has really been my biggest exposure to it, as I recall.

Been watching a Supernatural marathon on TNT all day today. I'm a fan of that show as well.

:o:eek::o

So I finally caved and started watching New Girl.

Zooey Descanel is the perfect woman.

I can't stand her. Never has a actress traded so much on her reputation as a hipster and not actual comedic ability.

Yes, I get it, your a geek girl, and im supposed to find that adorable because your not like those other actresses made of unobtainum for the common geek like myself.

This sums up how I feel about her perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHrkiM6CcvE

I agree.

As someone who watches Realtiy TV (The Challenge, Amazing Race, Big Brother, and Survivor.) even I would not watch that crap. In fact, I didn't even know what the hell a Honey Boo Boo was until about a month ago. I thought it was the name of the whale from Carvel Ice Cream...well not really but it would be a cool name for an ice cream cake.

The one I'll make an exception for is Dance Moms, which my girl got me into. Not because i like dance or think it's a good show, but because the moms are so comically awful to each other behind each others backs, then super sweet in public like the other mom's aren't going to watch the season at some point.

The only other reality show I really watch is Duck Dynasty, which is pretty great.

I saw a couple of posts about Arrow, you can count me in as someone who is a fan of the show. Plus Katie Cassidy is on it and I tend to like anything she is in because well...she's hot.:D

Been watching a Supernatural marathon on TNT all day today. I'm a fan of that show as well.

Well as you probably guessed from all of the others shows that I like, yes I am a Supernatural fan as well. It has not been as good in recent seasons but the main characters and Bobby play off each other so well that even the sucky episodes are watchable.

I can't stand her. Never has a actress traded so much on her reputation as a hipster and not actual comedic ability.

Yes, I get it, your a geek girl, and im supposed to find that adorable because your not like those other actresses made of unobtainum for the common geek like myself.

This sums up how I feel about her perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHrkiM6CcvE

Plus one on that. I mean she is beautiful there is no denying that but I just find her to be beyond annoying. Also, I am not sure who told her that she was a good singer but that person has to be tone deaf.

• 1 month later...
So I just started watching Torchwood I've never ever watched a British series the closet I've ever come is watching Buffy. So far I like it but I don't love it. I was told this was pretty much Buffy with Aliens so I'm hoping some longer arching storylines arise and I'm not stuck with sex alien wreaking havoc on Cardiff for the next 43 episodes or so. That being said Cardiff is awesome and makes me want to move to Wales. My mothers family is Scottish thats close enough right.

So I just started watching Torchwood I've never ever watched a British series the closet I've ever come is watching Buffy. So far I like it but I don't love it. I was told this was pretty much Buffy with Aliens so I'm hoping some longer arching storylines arise and I'm not stuck with sex alien wreaking havoc on Cardiff for the next 43 episodes or so. That being said Cardiff is awesome and makes me want to move to Wales. My mothers family is Scottish thats close enough right.

Don't go to Wales. TV makes it look more glamorous than it is. Come to Scotland, we have the real beauty.

Yeah. Merthyr is a fairly terrible place.

I saw a couple of posts about Arrow, you can count me in as someone who is a fan of the show. Plus Katie Cassidy is on it and I tend to like anything she is in because well...she's hot.:D

I'm liking Arrow, although sometimes I feel it's trying way too hard to be Nolan's Batman, and I can't say I'm a fan of lawyer girl. Something about her... and the fact she's so telegraphed to be the love interest... bothers me.

I'm liking Arrow, although sometimes I feel it's trying way too hard to be Nolan's Batman, and I can't say I'm a fan of lawyer girl. Something about her... and the fact she's so telegraphed to be the love interest... bothers me.

Well the main character openly loves her and legitimately feels bad about things he's done to her and her family. It's absolutely "telegraphed". He said this much in the first episode of the show...

As far as the Batman Begins comparisons, absolutely agree. Just don't see why it's a bad thing ;-)

Well the main character openly loves her and legitimately feels bad about things he's done to her and her family. It's absolutely "telegraphed". He said this much in the first episode of the show...

As far as the Batman Begins comparisons, absolutely agree. Just don't see why it's a bad thing ;-)

You guys do realize the "love interest" is Black Canary, whom he marries (at least in the comics), don't you? Plenty of little hints to it as well, with her knowing how to fight and bringing up the fishnet stockings she wore on Halloween as a past reference, all of us knowing Black Canary wears a blonde wig and fishnet stockings as a way of distracting criminals. In fact, quite a few characters are right out of the comicbook. This I like.... However, some changes, like his sister being "Speedy", I don't really like. I don't believe there is any cannon there, Roy Harper was the first Speedy, and Mia Dearden the second (or Arrowette). Speedy is Green Arrows "Robin".

I agree about the Nolan influence, but I don't find it a bad thing either. To me it's more of a spin off of Smallville, but at the same time I always felt Green Arrow in Smallville was taking the place of Batman. I also feel that Arrow is doing something similar. At least he's working in the right city, I suppose.

I kind of feel that over time he's going to change up, as in the comics, become less willing to actually let people die. They've already hinted at some changes with his new partner getting him to stop the bank robbers, and I believe Green Arrow in the comics has had his share of major character flaws, drinking, divorce, etc. Kind of went through a transitional period a couple of times, going from outright Vigilante status to Hero, then back again when huge threats and wrongs, and devastation hits the city, etc. Going from memory from most of this, but he's not had the easiest life by far, in comparison with the rest of the universe.

I do like the use of Deadshot and others though. There is a huge villain index they could go through that he's had to deal with at some point in the comics. Just as Smallville had their own renditions of Darkseid, or Brainiac, and such, they could do similar stuff with Green Arrow rogues gallery. The only problem I foresee with it is that there are so many cross-over villains, villains that have gone up against Flash, Batman, Superman, etc.. much more then Green Arrow, but yet Green Arrow has had dealings with as well. I can't wait to see Deathstroke, for example.

EDIT: Just wanted to point out that the "Batman" type thing about Arrow is also out of the comics, as he does quite a few things similar to Batman in the comics, with an Arrowcave and all. He has always had similarities to Batman, just in a Robin Hood fashion. Also, he once gave up the whole thing because he killed a criminal on accident, something he seems willing to do in the show.

I liked Torchwood but I fully understand if not everyone does. It is sort like a mash-up of Fringe, X-Files, and Buffy. I have not yet had a chance to see the most recent series as it was shown on Starz over here in America.

Plus one on that. I mean she is beautiful there is no denying that but I just find her to be beyond annoying. Also, I am not sure who told her that she was a good singer but that person has to be tone deaf.

Even her name annoys me. It was 'created' (to the best of my knowledge, at least) by JD Sallinger (of Catcher in the Rye fame) as a nickname for a character called Zachariah. So not only is it a nickname that's pronounced totally differently from the female name that it "looks a bit like" (because that's all it does), it's a MAN's nickname. Her parents were probably pretty stupid.

And she's really not that attractive. She looks like a cross between Katy Perry (who herself isn't amazingly attractive IMO) and photoshop.

She's one person that really, really annoys me. Can you tell? :p

Give me Felicia Day any day.

While I generally prefer a lighter touch in tone (Iron Man over Batman. Smallville's Oliver Queen over this one) I'm mostly okay with the Nolan-esque nature of Arrow. However, there are certain times where it becomes so similar, I suspect they've lifted stuff directly from the Batman Begins script. "I had to become someone else, I had to become... something else". I just... I know Green Arrow has a lot of similarities to Batman in the comics, and you want to relate to that popular movie franchise, but dude, write your own material.

I know the lawyer girl will eventually become Black Canary, but all that does is bum me out that she's not gonna be killed off sometime soon. I dunno. Maybe I just don't like the actress. Conversely, I'm enjoying the Speedy character, and her relationship with Green Arrow. I enjoy their scenes together. I wasn't wild about the idea at first, but I'm actually looking forward to seeing that develop.