R.I.P. Leslie Nielsen

alden

About ten years ago FX used to run reruns of the 1960's show Rawhide (starring Clint Eastwood before he became a star). Anyway, there was one episode in it with two brothers one I recognized right away as being Martin Landau (after all he still looks pretty much the same). The second brother I had no clue who it was but the voice sounded familiar.

Anyway, I read through the credits and it was Leslie Nielsen. He looked totally different from the guy that I was used to seeing in the Nake Gun movies. I was shocked.

I will say that Leslie Nielsen was one of my favorite comedic actors (even if he started out as a serious actor) and he could pretty much take any part in crappy movies and make them good. So he will be missed.

Oh man, this is sad.

I was just talking about him two days ago with one of my old film lecturers. It's a shame there doesn't seem to be too much of the silly humour Nielsen was known for around today but it kind of makes sense. To make comedy like that work you need performers who can pull it off. Making goofy, silly jokes funny takes a lot more talent than people realize. Neilsen was the kind of actor who no matter what he was doing, could always put me in a good mood.

My favourite Naked Gun quotes:

Police Commissioner: Ladies and gentlemen, I would now like to introduce a most special American. Tonight, he is being honoured for his 1000th drug-dealer killed.

Frank Drebin: Thank you. But, in all honesty, the last three I backed over with my car. Luckily, they turned out to be drug-dealers.

and...

Frank Drebin: You're Rocko's girl, and in my book that chapter's called "look but don't touch."

Tanya Peters: I could have two lovers.

Frank Drebin: Kinky. But I like my sex the way I play basketball, one on one with as little dribbling as possible.

i remember watching Creepshow and the story he was in, he was a evil business man and drowned a young couple on the beach, and he recorded the whole thing,

was the only serious role i have seen him in and because of The Naked Gun films, i pretty much laughed everytime he said something

Airplane was actually Nielsen's first comedic role - like almost every actor in the film, he was cast to play against type.

He's also in Forbidden Planet.

He's always going to be remembered as Frank Drebin, though, and why not? I might have to watch Naked Gun tonight - I've got Police Squad on DVD as well, so maybe an episode of that.

RIP, sir, and thanks for some of the funniest moments ever put on film.

"This woman is sick, she's needs to be sent to a hospital immediately."

"A hospital, what is it?"

"A big building with patients, but that's not important right now."

Leslie Nielsen gave me and my dad a lot of laughs, and made my mom do a ton of eye rolls.

R.I.P.

I recently read Mark Twain's "How To Tell a Story" which includes a description of the "humorous story" in contrast to the more traditional "comic story." Twain says:

"The humorous story is told gravely; the teller does his best to conceal the fact that he even dimly suspects that there is anything funny about it; but the teller of the comic story tells you beforehand that it is one of the funniest things he has ever heard, then tells it with eager delight, and is the first person to laugh when he gets through."

Nielsen was a master of getting us to laugh by convincing us that what he was doing was very, very serious.

Shirley he will be missed.

This is one of the recent articles I almost cried reading. I loved Leslie Nielsen and it just kills me to see that he passed away. I own the Naked Gun boxset, Airplane, and Spy Hard.

I look forward to seeing him in The Waterman Movie. I might have a go at the Naked Gun trilogy tonight.

Rest in Peace.

Mayor: Now Drebin, I don't want any trouble like you had on the South Side last year, that's my policy.

Frank: Well, when I see five weirdos, dressed in togas, stabbing a man in the middle of the park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's *my* policy!

Mayor: That was a Shakespeare-In-The-Park production of 'Julius Caesar,' you moron! You killed five actors! Good ones!

RIP :(

Archived