GatorBait19

DC vs Marvel  

46 members have voted

1. 1. DC vs Marvel

• DC
    • Marvel
    • Love both sides
    • Don't follow comics

I have never understood why Marvel beats the holy crap out of DC when it comes to making movies. We have seen comics that are second rate be made into movie from Marvel and DC usually just makes Superman or mainly Batman movies.

So here is my question, which series of films are you more interested

Marvel

X-Men the first class, X-Men 4 and 5 (which apparently are being written now), Wolverine, Iron Man 3, Thor, Captain America, The Amazing Spider-man, Ghost Rider 2, The Avengers

DC

Batman the third and then a reboot, Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Justice League

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have never understood why Marvel beats the holy crap out of DC when it comes to making movies. We have seen comics that are second rate be made into movie from Marvel and DC usually just makes Superman or mainly Batman movies.

So here is my question, which series of films are you more interested

Marvel

X-Men the first class, X-Men 4 and 5 (which apparently are being written now), Wolverine, Iron Man 3, Thor, Captain America, The Amazing Spider-man, Ghost Rider 2, The Avengers

DC

Batman the third and then a reboot, Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Justice League

Marvel: First Class, X-Men 4 & 5, Wolverine(even though the first one sucked), Iron Man 3, Thor, Captain America, Spidey, Ghost Rider 2, Avengers...I should have just said all of them...

DC: Batman third and reboot, Flash, Green Lantern, Justice League.

My issue with DC is their bigger names(Wonder Woman and Superman) bore the crap out of me. Batman, Flash and GL all have personalities, where Wonder Woman and Supes are pretty white bread and just blah.

Heck, my favorite Superman story arch is his death :p

and Wonder Woman is just awful. I've always hated her.

Marvels movies usually suck, until recently. I liked Iron Man 1 and 2 and the Edward Norton, Hulk. Other than that not a fan of pretty much every other movie they put out, but that;s just me.

DC has always made better movies not everything but a vast majority of their movies were good (at the time, they may not stand up to today's standards).

Comics I've mostly stopped reading but I've picked up a few hear and there and I say DC blows Marvel out of the water. Especially the Green Lantern stuff has been incredible.

Now here's where DC shows to me it tops Marvel in every category, specifically here, Cartoons. DC Cartoon series and stand alone cartoon movies have been so incredible from The Adventures of Superman and Batman the Animated series, through Justice League (and Unlimited) and even to the team up shorts they've been doing recently. Its just so good, but even today's Marvel comics still look like their stuck back in the 80s with cheesy plots and hokey catch phrases.

DC trumps marvel on all levels plain and simple.

ACk, voted before I realized this was about the moves, not the comics. Movie-wise, the current crop of Marvel stuff wins hands down. Multi-franchise continuity, decent directing all around, and likeable (though not loveable) characters make for a good mix.

Now as for the comics, DC's in the lead, but they are rapidly approaching Marvel's level of "Let's just keep screwing up continuity with world changing events no one really gives a crap about". It says a lot that most of the DC books I read are outside mainstream continuity, and my overall favorite is Jonah Hex (Freakin godawful movie. Couldn't bring myself to finish the trailer.)

Gimme Dark Horse any day.

I'm a big movie buff and was a pretty hardcore comic book fan as a kid (grew out of it with puberty) but I honestly think comic books make some of the most pathetic movies around.

I liked the first Iron Man, Watchmen and Dark Knight was okay (but horribly horribly overhyped) and as much as it puts me at odds with other people, I thought the third X-Men film was alright. Everything else I have seen though has bored the living hell out of me.

The thing is, Comic Books in general are hokey and cliched. The characters are over the top and usually have costumes that don't translate well to the screen. As much as people tried to make them dark and adult after the '80s (I remember being a kid and reading a bunch of borderline manic depressive Marvel comics in the early 90s) it just seems kind of pointless doing that. I am almost think it would be better if superhero movies were a bit more camp and over the top.

I think the Green Latern franchise has the potential for an amazing series of films, but ehhhh I'm not sure if that's the reality of what we're going to see unfortunately.

Of all those films at the top, the only one I'm genuinely excited for is the next Batman. Everything else I'm taking a wait and see approach as the possibility for suckage skews quite high (even though I've enjoyed a number of the more recent Marvel films)

I stopped following comics around puberty, like the Hamster, but has read the odd arch now and then ever since (mainly Marvel). I still love seeing superheroes on film though, and watch pretty much everything they spew out at least once - both Marvel and DC. But while I loved both houses when I actively bought and read comics consistently in my childhood, I've become less and less fond of DC ever since... I just think they are much more goofy and far-fetched than the Marvel superheroes, and the only DC heroes I find *really* interesting are Batman and Green Lantern. I find DC in general to be much more cartoony, silly and removed from the real world compared to Marvel (the fact that they live in made-up cities deter me a bit as well). I mean, their flagship hero is a man who is practically invulnerably and who hides his very secret identity from an unsuspecting world by using *drumroll* a frickin' pair of glasses. I mean, come on! In fact, Superman Returns is the only superhero movie EVER I have not seen all the way to the end. Even Electra, I finished! (I haven't watched Catwoman though, I'd like to point out).

The fact that Marvel has begun tying their heroes together really excites me as well, always found it a bit annoying that the movies stood alone as if their heroes were the only ones of their kind. The Nolan Batman-franchise is probably the best superhero stuff ever made on film, which makes me rather pissed that they have already decided to reboot Batman AGAIN. So I'm all in all much more in favour of Marvel. But I'll definately watch DC heroes as well, as I love superhero movies in general. They are just excellent popcorn movies with lots of exciting action and lovable heroism.

I'm just crossing my fingers that the 'Nemesis' and 'The Boys' movies that are reportedly in the works get made and made properly, without being toned down too much. I doubt I'll get my wish though.

For anyone that has read The Boys, how about a dream cast of Tom Hardy as Billy Butcher, Devon Aoki as The Female, Simon Pegg as Wee Hughie (obviously), Vincent Cassel as The Frenchman, Idris Elba (Stringer Bell from The Wire) as Mother's Milk and oooh, I dunno, The Rock as The Homelander? I'd kick my own grandmother in the face to see that made.

Back on topic...

I actually quite liked the Punnisher: Warzone movie as a comic book adaptation. Not a great film, but true to the tone of the character.

Also really liked Kick Ass, despite it leaving out the HUGE plot twist from the comic books.

I think that where Marvel takes the lead is in sheer number of interesting characters. Especially in teams like Fantastic Four, X-Men and the Avengers. DC just doesn't stack up as well in that area. It's pretty much Justice League as their A team. Others like Teen Titans or other sidekick group pairings just doesn't have the mainstream appeal.

While DC probably does have the most iconic comic characters ever, Marvel just has more volume of interesting heros and groups to make movies from.

I dislike most of the marvel films of the last 10 years with the exception of Iron Man 1 & 2 (which really is only because they got the perfect actor for the role). The last 10 years of DC have been the 2 Batman and the one Superman right? So each have two good movies but one is two of a bunch (though to be fair a lot of them where done out of house) and the other is 2 for 3 so i got to go DC. Looking a tad more specifically at a couple of the upcoming movies. TDKR is almost guaranteed to be at least good. The X-men movies have only gotten worst and they started bad (plus how can you do a first class storyline and no Cyclopes). Though maybe Captain and Thor will surprise me.

I dislike most of the marvel films of the last 10 years with the exception of Iron Man 1 & 2 (which really is only because they got the perfect actor for the role). The last 10 years of DC have been the 2 Batman and the one Superman right? So each have two good movies but one is two of a bunch (though to be fair a lot of them where done out of house) and the other is 2 for 3 so i got to go DC. Looking a tad more specifically at a couple of the upcoming movies. TDKR is almost guaranteed to be at least good. The X-men movies have only gotten worst and they started bad (plus how can you do a first class storyline and no Cyclopes). Though maybe Captain and Thor will surprise me.

Last 10 years for DC...

Catwoman- Saw like 10 minutes of it and had to shut it off...unbearable.

Batman Begins- pretty good

Superman Returns- Don't care for Superman, so didn't see it

The Dark Knight- Great movie

Watchmen- Also great

Jonah Hex- Decent enough action flick

Last 10 years for DC...

Catwoman- Saw like 10 minutes of it and had to shut it off...unbearable.

Batman Begins- pretty good

Superman Returns- Don't care for Superman, so didn't see it

The Dark Knight- Great movie

Watchmen- Also great

Jonah Hex- Decent enough action flick

Thank you.

So I will say 2 and a 1/2 out of 6. Watchman was okay but should have been more film noir and less super hero movie (sure most people would have hated it, but that is what the comic was).

I just can't care about any project DC does not called "Batman." On the other hand I'm excited about Thor and Captain America and even First Class looks like it might redeem the awful x-franchise somewhat.

The part about DC comics blowing Marvel comics out of the water is pretty much the opposite of true. Also I hate how bush-league DC's publishing of their Vertigo stuff tends to be: it's about the only DC I'm interested in, and I have to put up with terrible paper quality and poor quality in general. Now if we were counting Lee's Wildstorm/ABC Comics days, DC was at least competitive with Marvel, but they managed to make sure they don't accidentally stumble into being #1.

I just can't care about any project DC does not called "Batman." On the other hand I'm excited about Thor and Captain America and even First Class looks like it might redeem the awful x-franchise somewhat.

The part about DC comics blowing Marvel comics out of the water is pretty much the opposite of true. Also I hate how bush-league DC's publishing of their Vertigo stuff tends to be: it's about the only DC I'm interested in, and I have to put up with terrible paper quality and poor quality in general. Now if we were counting Lee's Wildstorm/ABC Comics days, DC was at least competitive with Marvel, but they managed to make sure they don't accidentally stumble into being #1.

I am really interested to see what Christopher Nolan does with Superman. Also Chris H. (the man who plays Thor) to me just looks the part.

I think the movie I am looking foward to is Deadpool. They really want Ryan Ren. and they are going to reboot it like Wolverine never happened. Plus they say they are going to make it an R rated script.....

I'm pretty sure that Marvel outsells DC in the comicbook lines... although I know it's close... Something like X-Men, Justice League, etc.

However, as far as the movies go I have a huge problem with DC movies with the exception of the last couple of Batman movies.

First off, although I liked Christopher Reeves playing Superman, I've always had a problem with the characterization of Superman. Give me the guy that doesn't take any crap in the comic's over any Superman movie, anyday. IF I had seen a Superman Movie first, I probably would have never read any comicbook that star'd him.

I was always a Flash fan. Never going to see a movie done right with the Flash either. I just don't see it happening. IF they get Green Lantern half right, I might reconsider it.

The Catwoman movie didn't make a bit of sense... Was not the same name, character, sure had nothing to do with the comic version. Was like a hybrid version I've never heard of before... Like something they might put in one of those Almagam books.... Cross between Catwoman and, I don't know.. Isis?

Captain Marvel (SHAZAM!) is represented by the Movie version of Superman. Just make his alter ego Billy Batson, instead of Clark Kent, and you have a character world's closer to Captain Marvel then you do Superman (at least from a comicbook point of view).

I'm sick of Lex Luthor. Superman has alot more interesting people to mess with then Lex.

Diana from Thymiscria.... YEAH... Old world Wonderwoman, please don't.

Bah... TO ME, Marvel movies blow DC movies out of the water. How can you mess up Jonah Hex? Think Clint Eastwood type western, and you have the character down. That's who he was molded from anyways.

What in the world are they doing to Green Arrow in Smallville? Don't get me wrong, I actually like the series..... Just... Green Arrow and Superman don't have relationships with the same people, they never really hook up, and they were never big time friends like they are on that show... Really, to me they use him instead of Batman I guess.

Anyways, yeah... Give me Spiderman, X-Men, Avenger's, Hulk, Ironman, etc... over about every DC movie outside of the last Batman Movies.

Marvel is better now. Marvel was better back in the "Golden" age.

Marvel in the 90s was garbage and as a Marvel fan I can admit that.

DC's been about the same since the beginning. In fact, they are usually the ones to make Marvel stop putting out crap.

That said, Superman is a stupid character because he's so strong, there's no competing with him. When he's fighting someone who can push him to the point of near-death, he makes for compelling stories just like every other super, but when he's fighting Lex Luthor it's stupid. That's my opinion.

EDIT: Incidentally, was I the only person who liked Punisher: War Zone? I felt like their characterization of Castle was PERFECT in that film. Best Punisher I've ever seen. Frank Castle is a morally ambiguous anti-hero at best. He's not some Schwartzenegger one-liner action hero like Lundgren played, and Thomas Jane's Punisher was too friendly and people liked him on a personal level far too much.

The only people who should realistically like Frank Castle are the people who are dead inside; since he plays a very "avenging-oriented" character, there's lots of them to come across, but some random neighbors who think he's cool? No. In fact, if I recall those characters, a proper characterization of Frank Castle would've had him looking down on them as weak and stupid.

EDIT 2: I'm a huge fan of Captain America. Except for Series 3 that Liefeld did. But then again, that's Rob Liefeld for you. I've got a pretty complete Series 2 and Series 4, though I don't have much of the most recent series, since I didn't want to get into the whole "dead Steve" stuff without working my way up to it. So I mean I'm not just trying to talk out of my butt here. Maybe more footage has come out, but am I the only one who thought that Chris Evans looked incredibly stiff in the action scenes in the trailer?

Okay, I won't lie: I did read the post. I voted based on the comics, cause DC wins hands down against Marvel their. Not that Marvel hasn't provided some fantastic work (loved Whedon's work with X-Men), but as an actual comic book... I dunno, DC just jives with me. Marvel is WAY too wanna-be "gritty and super-duper serious" for me usually. And sure, so is Batman, but he's freaking Batman: he can get away with it.

When I think about superheroes, the images in my head are much more inline with DC than Marvel. Also, Wolverine can bite me. At least Superman was designed with being unbeatable in mind, and didn't slowly devolve into a (short and hairy) Mary Sue.

But movies? Tough call. Marvel has overall put out more quality films. But they've also put out alot more complete and utter crap. Elektra, Ghost Rider, The Fantastic Four movies (the one from waaaay back when AND the two recent ones), Punisher: Warzone, Wolverine, X-Men 3, Daredevil, The Hulk... twice... (well, guess the second attempt wasn't completely awful)... and while I've recently grown fond of Thor and am becoming a wee bit of a Norse mythology buff, the previews so far scream "SUCK", just like all those films I just listed.

Bad films from DC? Catwoman, Batman & Robin... yeah... The ratio is similar, honestly, but Marvel pumps out a lot more films it seems.. But, really, what has DC done film-wise that's been excellent other than the recent Batman films (and some of the older ones, Danny Devito I love you!) and Watchmen (which was about as good of a film adaptation as the comic could've ever hoped to see, given its style)?

Based PURELY on the films... I think Marvel ultimately gets the edge thanks to the first couple of X-Men and Spiderman films... and my own personal bias towards the Thomas Jane Punisher, which I honestly loved. Just felt like a good, old-school action flick (which never seem to get critical love these days, ala The Expendables which also rocked for what it was). X-Men: First Class looks very promising and, unless I get some warnings that it sucks beforehand, I'm planning to see. Also, I'm still hoping Thor isn't a total flop, but... yeah... my gut is saying otherwise. Maybe I would've felt better if they'd let Aleksander Skarsgard have the role like he wanted, he would've been perfect (and actually Scandinavian). Well, at least it has Natalie Portman... she makes me feel all warm inside.

Oh, and Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan? That, I gotta see.

I'm pretty sure that Marvel outsells DC in the comicbook lines... although I know it's close... Something like X-Men, Justice League, etc.

It's actually not that close. Marvel has a share of the market about 15% bigger, while DC is 19% above Image. So while DC is closer to being #1 than #3, they're pretty far from both by a wide margin.

First off, I'd like to add that Image Comics sucks (save The Walking Dead), now and forever. Rob Liefeld, no one likes you. Your writing sucks, your art sucks, you suck. You are to comics what Michael Bay is to films, and I firmly believe there's a special place in Hell reserved for the two of you.

Second: the Johan Hex film is one of the top ten worst things to happen in my life. It's right up there with the time I had bile coming from both ends. I am a HUGELY RIDICULOUS fan of the Jonah Hex comics, in large part cause I'm a huge fan of Westerns. Guess that's a possibility when you spend time watching Bonanza and The Outlaw Josey Wells with your dad, who is himself a huge fan of quality Westerns. The fact they failed so completely and horribly with Jonah Hex is depressing. As DJ pointed out, you could've made it an Eastwood-style Western and it would've been perfect. Could've even gone a more "modern" route with some slightly darker overtones that have been creeping into Westerns more and more frequently (Unforgiven, No Country For Old Men which I contend to be a Western despite the time period) since the early 90s... or better yet, met somewhere inbetween. I have to believe that, with the right cast and crew and writing, Jonah Hex could be the basis of THE great comic book film ever made. Instead, they gave us Megan "Toe Thumbs" Fox and a steaming pile of what I cannot even dignify with calling crap, because that would be insulting to crap.

I was within seconds of trying to argue that Image was pretty good.

Then I realized that every comic I thought was Image wasn't. Except for Invincible and Power Girl. Invincible sucks. Power Girl's got a rather.. "interesting" costume, though.

And yeah, Jonah Hex is ideally an Eastwood-style western. Taking certain cues from Spaghetti westerns, while lacking the directorial direction and usual messages that the Italians liked; Pale Rider or Hang Em High as opposed to For A Few Dollars More. Instead, I'm told they went the Wild Wild West route...

I was within seconds of trying to argue that Image was pretty good.

Then I realized that every comic I thought was Image wasn't. Except for Invincible and Power Girl. Invincible sucks. Power Girl's got a rather.. "interesting" costume, though.

And yeah, Jonah Hex is ideally an Eastwood-style western. Taking certain cues from Spaghetti westerns, while lacking the directorial direction and usual messages that the Italians liked; Pale Rider or Hang Em High as opposed to For A Few Dollars More. Instead, I'm told they went the Wild Wild West route...

Power Girl is DC.

Also, Haunt from Image is awesome. At least I think so.

I'm more of a Marvel guy. They just have so many more heroes and variety in comparison to D.C, which seems to have a lot of Legacy Characters and focus on the Justice League rather than anything else.

In Marvel, you can look at Fantastic Four, Spiderman, Avengers, SHIELD, X-Men, Black Panther, Thor, Kree & Skrull Empires, etc.... And then again in the Ultimates Universe. While it's a bit annoying how all these groups are put in the same 'verse and I'd prefer seperate ones for clustered groups, it still goes together rather well.

D.C has the Justice League, Justice Society, Teen Titans & Young Justice and the Green Lantern Corps. And I'm fairly sure all of those teams have cross-members. Plus, the continuity of D.C has been shot to hell and back with all these cross-over events they have, which doesn't make it interesting to someone wanting to jump in.

I'm more of a Marvel guy. They just have so many more heroes and variety in comparison to D.C, which seems to have a lot of Legacy Characters and focus on the Justice League rather than anything else.

In Marvel, you can look at Fantastic Four, Spiderman, Avengers, SHIELD, X-Men, Black Panther, Thor, Kree & Skrull Empires, etc.... And then again in the Ultimates Universe. While it's a bit annoying how all these groups are put in the same 'verse and I'd prefer seperate ones for clustered groups, it still goes together rather well.

D.C has the Justice League, Justice Society, Teen Titans & Young Justice and the Green Lantern Corps. And I'm fairly sure all of those teams have cross-members. Plus, the continuity of D.C has been shot to hell and back with all these cross-over events they have, which doesn't make it interesting to someone wanting to jump in.

I agree to a point. Marvel always had character's with flaws... Something that DC lacked. The human aspect. I feel DC have actually "marvelized" their characters though, probably starting in the 80's.

I agree to a point. Marvel always had character's with flaws... Something that DC lacked. The human aspect. I feel DC have actually "marvelized" their characters though, probably starting in the 80's.

I like character flaws but even moreso, I have to say that I like flaws in combat ability. I haven't ever read DC beyond mini-series, so they may be the same, but when I was riding out Marvel's Civil War it seemed as though there was a whole lot of cross-over between people's abilities and the major players could do damn near anything (if not naturally, then due to technical/magical enhancements).

It just kind of irked me in a way, like

Comic Book Dude: "Hey guy, I've got super strength and super durability"

Me: "Wow, that's pretty amazing"

Comic Book Dude: "And I've also got super reflexes and super speed"

Me: "Whoah, as well as the strength and durability?"

Comic Book Dude: "Wait I'm not done--because of the super speed I can also teleport, and I just got financed by GloboCorp so now I've got billions of dollars"

Me: "Uhh"

Comic Book Dude: "And with that money I've built gauntlets which let me fire elemental projectiles from my wrists. I can do that because my IQ is over 500"

I am overexaggerating slightly, as there's definitely characters who can only do one or two things, plus Civil War may have just been an odd timeline for people being overpowered, but for the most part it rarely seemed like there was any kind of insurmountable odds for the superheroes to face, since they were typically so damn good at everything. Battles were like eating a handful of several really strong spices without being able to savor any individual flavors.

EDIT: Incidentally, was I the only person who liked Punisher: War Zone?

Apparently not! :-p

I actually quite liked the Punnisher: Warzone movie as a comic book adaptation. Not a great film, but true to the tone of the character.

Also really liked Kick Ass, despite it leaving out the HUGE plot twist from the comic books.

Archived