The Official Skyrim Thread

Synticha

The biggest compliment I can give it is that it feels like Morrowind again. Running around I get the north shore I get the same feeling I did when I first played it back in 03 or so. I love that they went with the Fallout system of finding places before you can fast travel to them. It puts a lot of added exploration and side tracking in when I have to walk to the next city. Honestly, in Oblivion I just missed stuff because I didn't have to go on any long treks, and I think they found a happy medium between Morrowinds exploration and Oblivions speed.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But isnt the entire point of this game is that you can develop your skills along whatever you tend to use the most? So it really doesn't matter a lot what you pick at the start?

Yes that's the point this time around in a change from previous games in the series.

The biggest compliment I can give it is that it feels like Morrowind again. Running around I get the north shore I get the same feeling I did when I first played it back in 03 or so. I love that they went with the Fallout system of finding places before you can fast travel to them. It puts a lot of added exploration and side tracking in when I have to walk to the next city. Honestly, in Oblivion I just missed stuff because I didn't have to go on any long treks, and I think they found a happy medium between Morrowinds exploration and Oblivions speed.

Oblivion was/is about 100% more fun if you make "house rules" and just don't fast travel to any location you haven't been to. You find tons of non-essential caves, ruins, ingredients, etc. I gave it a play through this past summer with a wood elf witch-hunter and found tons of vampire dens to clear out and rare ingredients to make impossibly strong potions out of. My other house rules included getting some sleep every 24 hours and eating food at least once a day- I don't like new vegas' forced "hardcore" mode as much as I like choosing to roleplay.

Oblivion was/is about 100% more fun if you make "house rules" and just don't fast travel to any location you haven't been to. You find tons of non-essential caves, ruins, ingredients, etc. I gave it a play through this past summer with a wood elf witch-hunter and found tons of vampire dens to clear out and rare ingredients to make impossibly strong potions out of. My other house rules included getting some sleep every 24 hours and eating food at least once a day- I don't like new vegas' forced "hardcore" mode as much as I like choosing to roleplay.

NERD!

j/k

I do this kind of stuff too. Not always with this game (havent played it long enough yet to develop that). But If I may divulge a nerdy aspect of gaming:

I run a league in my imagination with UFC and Wrestling games. We're talking notebooks, rankings, stroylines. The whole deal.

Last year's smackdown game had universe mode, which did some of the heaviy lifting for me. But with UFC Undisputed 2010, I have a full rankings I keep on excel. I keep a notebook where I write down the fight cards so that I might do them in the game, from top to bottom. Full rankings, records, the whole deal lol. I even keep a "b-league" where I put the bottom few fighters when they lose enough to add an extra layer of realism. I know it's creepy nerdy but it's an extra level of fun I play with to help immerse myself in the experience.

I find myself developing similar "house rules" myself with games liek this and GTA and whatnot. Interesting stuff, lazorbeak.

I love this game so much.

I'm starting as a Nord to be thematically appropriate. The weird things is, I didn't play as an Imperial on any of my Oblivion runs.

Also, I have occasionally frame rate chops here and there on max settings and I've got a quad-core 2.9 Ghz processor, 8 Gb of RAM, and an ATI Radeon HD 5770. It's not bad though. The graphics have some little bugs to them, but they're artistically phenomenal.

Can't you just make a Silver account to play it until you get your account back?

Also, started playing last night. Woke up this morning for class, and ughhh why did I stay up so late. Then I had an extra 20 minutes before I had to leave and I spent them remembering why I stayed up so late.

And have to either start over when I get my account back or have an account sitting around that exists solely to play one game (and at the same time, is unattached from anything and everything that is my main account)?

Yeah, I'll pass.

I'm confused. You need xbox live GOLD to play this game? A primarily single player experience?

I have it on PC. I had zero problems until I hit the first town (keeping things mildly spoiler free if I can). Then coming out of the occasional building I'd have weird performance problems. I updated my drivers but it wasn't enough, so I bumped the graphics settings to "high". There's a small difference but nothing that distracts me. Game still looks phenomenal.

Game's great so far. I am the weird lizard race and I think I'm gonna go mage. I played a warrior in oblivion so I figured I'd do this to have fun and try something else. Some of the spells make weird and annoying noises (which I wish I could turn off) even when they are equipped but not in use. However, I gotta change it up to keep interested. Not needing to keep heavy armor on me allows me to travel a little lighter and carry more stuff to sell.

So far, very impressed with the game. It's beautiful and fun. Story's great, voice acting is great. The quests are still a little blah. I'm getting tired of bethesda's "go here, fetch this, kill this, bring it here" MMO-style quest structure but they switch it around enough that I'm still playing and compelled. The world itself is the big draw here. So vast and unique. It's alot of fun to go mess around and explore.

I'm confused. You need xbox live GOLD to play this game? A primarily single player experience?

Presumably if his account is blocked, he can't play at all with it? If so, you'd need to use a different profile to save games etc., and he'd then have to change profiles to play different games.

At least that's what I'm assuming Comrade means, I haven't got Skyrim but I know of no single player game that requires a Gold pass.

I don't think it's just the fast travel that made me skip around a lot in Oblivion. Everything was just so...flat I guess. Sure, there were hills, but I could just point myself in the direction of my destination and walk in a straight line to get there most of the time. In Morrowind and Skyrim the topography is more varied, with ravines to cross and mountains to climb, plus glaciers to figure out a way around. Overall, it's a lot more fun to walk around. The fact that the wilderness feels a lot more organic and real doesn't hurt, either.

Presumably if his account is blocked, he can't play at all with it? If so, you'd need to use a different profile to save games etc., and he'd then have to change profiles to play different games.

At least that's what I'm assuming Comrade means, I haven't got Skyrim but I know of no single player game that requires a Gold pass.

Yes, that's what I mean. Some time ago my account was hacked and transfered to a different Windows Live account, so I do not currently have access to my account (which means none of my DLC, none of my saved games, ect).

BUT, Microsoft is working to get it back to me (though they're doing a truly terrible job of it). Still, I'd rather keep everything on one, single account.

Just got the game at the weekend (another game I "wouldn't buy" until after the holidays, sigh)... had some fun going through the opening a couple of times with a wood elf using lightning in the left hand (nord was the other)! Both times I went through I went with the Imperial guy. Going to do a Khajiit next and go with the rebels.

And have to either start over when I get my account back or have an account sitting around that exists solely to play one game (and at the same time, is unattached from anything and everything that is my main account)?

Yeah, I'll pass.

... I've restarted twice. Does that make me weird? I dunno. :(

... I've restarted twice. Does that make me weird? I dunno. :(

/shrug

I just don't want to feel compelled to potentially restart a run I'm enjoying just because it's on some account that's just cluttering up my XBOX.

And I'm personally torn between Nord and Argonian. I'm known for my love of zany lizardmen, but at the same time... with a Nord, I could make a character that looks like Alexander Skarsgard.

And turn him into a vampire.

OR, I could create Bam Bam Johansson, and proceed to punch out dragons.

And I'm personally torn between Nord and Argonian. I'm known for my love of zany lizardmen, but at the same time... with a Nord, I could make a character that looks like Alexander Skarsgard.

I haven't got the game yet but I always play as an Argonian. Maybe I will shake it up a bit when I finally do get the game.

/shrug

I just don't want to feel compelled to potentially restart a run I'm enjoying just because it's on some account that's just cluttering up my XBOX.

And turn him into a vampire.

OR, I could create Bam Bam Johansson, and proceed to punch out dragons.

Dragon testosterone has to be better than Bull Shark!!

im thinking argonian isn't the best race to play. I chose it. Just to kind of be different. But the perks ar worthless. The 50% resist todisease is o.k.... but compared to other races I feel like you can do better.

Underwater breathing? For what? You can make a nice potion for yourself and do this with any race.

im thinking argonian isn't the best race to play. I chose it. Just to kind of be different. But the perks ar worthless. The 50% resist todisease is o.k.... but compared to other races I feel like you can do better.

Underwater breathing? For what? You can make a nice potion for yourself and do this with any race.

/shrug, I couldn't give half a rat's furry arse about min/maxing, particularly in an exclusively single player game.

Archived