The Official Skyrim Thread

Synticha

I'm level 14 and this is by FAR the biggest game world in any game I have played. Especially the quests. Lots of RPG's have lots of quests, "find my ring, etc." bu so far so many of the quests actually work TOGETHER.

example.

After getting in good at Whiterun I proceeded to "take" everything of value from Dragonreach, one of which being a unique stone I have to get appraised...all the what in Retin (sp?) across the map.

*sigh*

so here I go across the map figuring its a good time to head out that way and do a side quest from the main quest and get some extra dough.

BOOM! It throws me into the thieves guild quest and now I am addicted to restoring them to glory. (wont go into much more for spoilers)

so point is, something so small of a side quest turned into a much larger one, very impressive. Still have a few complaints but the positives def. outweigh the negatives.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went with the stormcloak rebels because the imperials... ya know... tried to kill me in the beginning of the game. Then I realized... uhm... y'all are kinda racists.

I thought the same thing. I don't like elitist imperialists, but I also don't like racial supremacists. I may be a Nord, but Dunmer represent!

Hurray moderate moral depth!

im thinking argonian isn't the best race to play. I chose it. Just to kind of be different. But the perks ar worthless. The 50% resist todisease is o.k.... but compared to other races I feel like you can do better.

Underwater breathing? For what? You can make a nice potion for yourself and do this with any race.

They get really good cutpurse-y stealth skills. They should be great at stealing stuff and running away. For combat, just sneak attack with bows and back stabs until you're discovered and run around with your giant stamina casting fury and fear spells. It just got really Benny Hill in here.

It'll suck if you have to take bosses 1v1 unless you get good with poisons. Poison immune bosses will make you cry, still.

/shrug, I couldn't give half a rat's furry arse about min/maxing, particularly in an exclusively single player game.

Well, the starting racial bonuses work out to be pretty substantial. I went Nord and I don't use 3 of their enhanced stats at all and 2 I only use to a minimal extent out of combat. As a result, I'm only ok. Fights against most things tend to require care and normally at least 1 potion of some sort.

My sister, however, decided to play as a Bosmer Archer and she was one-shotting bandits naturally from Level 2. It feels great to come out of the gate like that.

I haven't got the game yet (get paid next week, huzzah!), but I usually play as a Breton. Partly, because I'm 1/2 Breton irl (though sadly not half elven), but mostly because Magic is win. Especially Necromancy (sorry... Conjuration... of dead things).

However, being set in Skyrim... might just have to go Nord berzerker...

im thinking argonian isn't the best race to play. I chose it. Just to kind of be different. But the perks ar worthless. The 50% resist todisease is o.k.... but compared to other races I feel like you can do better.

Underwater breathing? For what? You can make a nice potion for yourself and do this with any race.

My favorite character right now is a Khajiit, whose perks are basically Wood Elfs but worse. By the time you're level 10 you won't care about that stuff, IMO. It all goes out the window when you've got magic weapons and such, and they're not all that hard to come by.

I want a mod that makes magic something that is uber hard to learn (as opposed to something you know from the very beginning even if you're a pure archer like poor Khajiit) but much more powerful when you do learn it. :cool:

EDIT: Also, does anyone with more experience with Elder Scrolls games have tips for fighting dwarven constructs? My usual methods, which involve shooting them with arrows from stealth and killing them via that sweet 3x bonus, doesn't work. So it ends up being a long, long fight where if I get hit once I need to use a ton of potions. Any tips on what makes those fights easier?

They get really good cutpurse-y stealth skills. They should be great at stealing stuff and running away. For combat, just sneak attack with bows and back stabs until you're discovered and run around with your giant stamina casting fury and fear spells. It just got really Benny Hill in here.

It'll suck if you have to take bosses 1v1 unless you get good with poisons. Poison immune bosses will make you cry, still.

Yea my character is a sneaky mage but she's getting good at conjuration. So hoping I can conjur up me some zombies to tank. My fire and sparks are developing super well too.

It's just frustrating because I tried to do something different with this game as a mage but it doesn't look like that's really possible. There's some enemies that just hit way too hard and move too fast for me to stand toe-to-toe with them.

I went with the stormcloak rebels because the imperials... ya know... tried to kill me in the beginning of the game. Then I realized... uhm... y'all are kinda racists.

Nonsense, we Stormclouds are simply a resistance movement fighting the oppression of Nords by those dastardly Imperials and their numerous shady looking foreign collaborators. What's more racist, fighting for your homeland or invading someone elses and trying to chop the heads off the locals? :p

Only got around to picking this game up today, Always play Elder Scrolls games as Nord or Breton, but I figured Nord would be easier to start off with this time around and more logical for my plan to hardcore roleplay as a nationalistic Stormcloak. I'm liking it so much better than Oblivion so far, but my random wandering plans have already caused a few scary moments.

Nonsense, we Stormclouds are simply a resistance movement fighting the oppression of Nords by those dastardly Imperials and their numerous shady looking foreign collaborators. What's more racist, fighting for your homeland or invading someone elses and trying to chop the heads off the locals? :p

LOL you rule

Ok, so the first three hours has been spent deciding that I don't like mages in Skyrim. ¬_¬

Also, I've just been made Thane, but my character looks like The Emperor from Star Wars (not entirely intentional. I was going more for Merlin from the 2004 King Arthur movie with Clive Owen, but things took a turn and I found some cool black robes...). So I'm thinking, the poor Jarl must be on some strong stuff.

Now I have a dilemma, I kinda wanna play a thief archer, which to my mind means Dunmer or Bosmer. But at the same time I wanna play a Nord warrior type (probably dual-wielding maniac).

Sigh... Elder Scrolls games always do this to me.

Oh, and I don't want to know any spoilers if the answer is yes, but when you choose to go with the Stormgcloaks or the Imperials at the start of the game, does that have an impact on the story after you leave the first village?

I figured that the Imperial you can choose to follow is the one that's reading the names off at the start, and is just following orders. He even starts to argue your case. So he's not all that bad. :p

Getting annoyed with the damn interface now. Damn you, consoles!

The skills menu is horrendous. Pretty? Yes, but entirely dysfunctional and illogical. Also, like 3/4 of the screen is unused in the regular menu screen. Srsly, press tab. The list starts half way down the screen AND YOU HAVE TO SCROLL DOWN TO GET TO THE OTHER HALF. Why not just start it at the top?!

The favourites system is entirely awful.

Hmph. Can't wait until someone who knows what 'user friendly' means gets a mod out to fix the horribleness of it.

Everything that isn't a menu is amazing so far.

Doesn't matter which side you pick at the beginning. You take different paths to escape giving you different items but neither affect the rest of the game as you can still join either side.

I had the same conundrum about making my character until I realized it doesn't really matter in Skyrim as it did in other games since there are VERY few race specific things. I kinda like it though since there's no way I am playing through the game a second time as i already have 20+ hours in

Getting annoyed with the damn interface now. Damn you, consoles!

The skills menu is horrendous. Pretty? Yes, but entirely dysfunctional and illogical. Also, like 3/4 of the screen is unused in the regular menu screen. Srsly, press tab. The list starts half way down the screen AND YOU HAVE TO SCROLL DOWN TO GET TO THE OTHER HALF. Why not just start it at the top?!

The favourites system is entirely awful.

Hmph. Can't wait until someone who knows what 'user friendly' means gets a mod out to fix the horribleness of it.

Everything that isn't a menu is amazing so far.

Yeah I actually had to get the windows 360 controller and it plays so much better. It just goes to show that Beth didn't consider a Pc interface at all which makes me rage a little bit. I haven't checked out the Xbox or ps3 screens but based on what I'm seeing the interface is probably identical and thus made for a controller and frustrating with a mouse.

Yeah I actually had to get the windows 360 controller and it plays so much better. It just goes to show that Beth didn't consider a Pc interface at all which makes me rage a little bit. I haven't checked out the Xbox or ps3 screens but based on what I'm seeing the interface is probably identical and thus made for a controller and frustrating with a mouse.

/shrug

Far, far more people can play this game on a console than on a PC. It's the way of the industry, and it'll keep trending that way until PC gaming is financially as viable as console gaming.

/shrug

Far, far more people can play this game on a console than on a PC. It's the way of the industry, and it'll keep trending that way until PC gaming is financially as viable as console gaming.

You know more people own PCs than game consoles right? More people will PLAY it on PC when you factor in piracy. Copies sold? Consoles are king.

I also have the 360 controller for my pc and I do love using it. I just wish there was a way to hotkey my spells AND use the controller at the same time.

Most people will play this on console. That's a simple fact of gaming nowadays. Yes, piracy certainly skews the numbers, but the fact is that most people not only have to play it on console, they prefer it. Most people are unable to play it on their PCs.

You know more people own PCs than game consoles right? More people will PLAY it on PC when you factor in piracy. Copies sold? Consoles are king.

I also have the 360 controller for my pc and I do love using it. I just wish there was a way to hotkey my spells AND use the controller at the same time.

You are aware that only a really, really small percent of those PCs can run Skyrim, and even fewer of those at a level equivalent to or greater than console? I have a laptop that I'm sure won't play it and a desktop that'd play it, but would require me turning down the graphical settings.

And piracy... show me the numbers. Fore example: not long after it's release, Battlefield 3 had sold 4 million copies across the 360 and PS3, and less than 500k for the PC. I somehow doubt that 87.5% of the people playing Battlefield 3 on their PC pirated it.

And even IF that many people are actually pirating games on a regular basis, then it serves as even more reason for game developers to focus on consoles, since it's still the bigger market. And that's what counts. So long as games sell considerably better on consoles than PCs, then console gaming will rightfully have the priority attention of most game developers. I'd wager that as I type this there's far more people playing Skyrim on their XBOX than on a PC, even including pirates... who again don't matter, because they're not customers.

/shrug

I do realize that which is why I also have two consoles. There are still developers out there who do customize the PC interface rather than doing a 100% port although its becoming rarer and rarer.

I actually considered getting this for the PS3 but I prefer being able to mod the game. Plus for a 2011 game the actual requirements to run it are pretty low on the pc.

Anyway I'm staying out of the console vs pc arguments as they are old and repetitive and nothing good ever comes of them. As an owner of multiple platforms I'm well aware of the realities of the situation.

I get the "more people play it on consoles" argument. But that just enrages me even more.

Fine, if it's a game like MW3 or BF3, that started on consoles and will always work better on consoles thanks to autoaim augmentation and the fast paced, "who really cares?", pick-up-and-play nature of the games. If they have a PC port, and the UI is ported straight over and is therefore horrible, I don't care. They're console games.

The Elder Scrolls? There WAS no Playstation when the Elder Scrolls was unleashed upon us (it was released in December of the same year). TES, and Bethesda, have ALWAYS been PC-based. That's why they release massively detailed modding tools and let us pick apart every bit of the game. All the way from Arena (well, ok, Morrowind) through to Skyrim.

And now, the PC market means so little to them that they can't spend a few extra hours designing a decent user interface for us? **** that shit. Morrowind was released on the X-Box too, that still had a decent interface. Even Oblivion's was at least functional and not a blatant console port.

Oh, and as for the "very few PCs can handle Skyrim" argument, that's BS. My PC is four years old now (maybe five, actually), and it still handles Skyrim's "High" detail settings just fine (Ultra is a bit iffy, admittedly).

A ton of PCs can play Skyrim. My video card is 5 years old and it plays Skyrim on high settings just fine. If you bought even a fairly stock PC in the last five years then chances are, you CAN run Skyrim at some capacity. And even on fairly low settings the game looks phenomenal. Most PC owners are too lazy or too apathetic to bother optimizing their PC for gaming and messing with settings and drivers and all that crap.

Consoles are -from a gaming standpoint- basically really crappy PCs and if a game is platformed on a console it can make the jump to most really crappy PCs.

Now I say this as an avid console gamer.

People have this crazy idea that North America, Japan, and UK, where consoles are king, is the WHOLE WORLD. There are literally millions of copies of pirated games that float around the internet at any given time. PC gaming is pretty gigantic on a world wide scale. Problem is, game companies don't like to support the PC platform because PC gamers don't support them. There's a TON of piracy, incredibly more than on consoles, and it's hurt the PC gaming industry over the last 15 years deeply. The sad part about piracy is it costs a huge amount of money and resources to fight it and victory has provided very little gain. The only real choice developers have is to push their products on the consoles which gives gamers, unfortunately, way less game for their buck.

Again, I never said nor would I ever say that PC sales figures are better than consoles. That would be a grossly incorrect statement.

Either way, Skyrim is an unbelievable experience on XBOX 360, PS3, and PC regardless of your preferences. The PC offers you more flexibility. You can add mods and stuff like that. You can also choose to control the game with a keyboard and mouse and have the hotkeys at your fingertips for quicker access to spells.

The bottom line argument ender in favor of consoles: You can buy your game, pop it in, play it on your couch, no hassles. It WILL work on it's optimized settings every single time. Even the most arrogant pro-PC gamer out there can't argue this point.

Find me a source, not VGCharts, that says that.

VG Charts only counts sales that are in stores. Which is why TF2 can be the most played game on Steam (well... 3rd most, now) and shows exactly 0 sales.

You are aware that only a really, really small percent of those PCs can run Skyrim, and even fewer of those at a level equivalent to or greater than console? I have a laptop that I'm sure won't play it and a desktop that'd play it, but would require me turning down the graphical settings.

And piracy... show me the numbers. Fore example: not long after it's release, Battlefield 3 had sold 4 million copies across the 360 and PS3, and less than 500k for the PC. I somehow doubt that 87.5% of the people playing Battlefield 3 on their PC pirated it.

And even IF that many people are actually pirating games on a regular basis, then it serves as even more reason for game developers to focus on consoles, since it's still the bigger market. And that's what counts. So long as games sell considerably better on consoles than PCs, then console gaming will rightfully have the priority attention of most game developers. I'd wager that as I type this there's far more people playing Skyrim on their XBOX than on a PC, even including pirates... who again don't matter, because they're not customers.

VGChartz, which I would guess is your source, showed 4,368,055 million units sold across all platforms in the first week. Of those, 1,606,641 were on PS3, 2,274,233 were on Xbox 360, and 487,181 were on PC. (36.8% PS3, 52.1% 360, 11.1% PC)

Here's the thing... Battlefield 3 sold more than 5 million units in the first week. Since MOST PC players use digital distribution methods, where FEW if any console players use digital distribution, I'm gonna use slightly optimistic numbers and throw that lot in for PC. Which puts their sales at 1,119,126 units sold if we stand hard on the 5 million number.

Which brings the sum out to a much more even 33% PS3, 22% PC, 45% 360. Keeping in mind, of course, that PC sales tend to be pretty stable, while PS3 and 360 sales both tend to level off very quickly after the first 6-10 weeks, aside from Christmas buys which tend to be a quick sales boost for any title that is even remotely popular.

Archived