The Roman Reigns Effect

So...let me if i understand: You like to work people, yet you raise all of the potential options and retirement age options? Interesting line of thought...

I hope Gilberg has a nice title run. :D I would love to see one of your saves and do a watcher's game.

So lets say there 2500 people in the mod. It would be my ideal game to have everybody in the mod a success by the end. I don't think there is nothing right with it.

Right, but that's why Derek said that you aren't actually helping people when you give them advice. Nobody else plays that way. Everybody else likes the real challenge of finding the guys that can be stars or excellent workers, rather than just knowing that everybody will be.

I done that for 10 years. Now I just want to have a good time with the game. If I want to make some fat guy my world champ. I don't like the concept of being screwed over for no reason. Fate does not make a fun experience. Life has been hard enough on me. Fate will not take my tew experience. Oh yeah I thought you didn't read my posts anymore lol.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So...let me if i understand: You like to work people, yet you raise all of the potential options and retirement age options? Interesting line of thought...

I can see doing that with women, who are often underpopulated as far as wrestlers are concerned (and random gens often pop out with AWFUL in-ring abilities like basics in the 30s and 40s). I do that with mods that have really small numbers of female in-ring workers. But doing it across the board strips much of the randomness from the game. Sure it's annoying to see Manami Toyota retire at 38 (when she's still wrestling today at like 45) but it's only harmful (to my play experience) when her skills are replaced in the world by someone who'd never be hired by even an AI company (many of whom have far lower standards than a player would).

drcat, what everyone is saying is that when you give advice centered on your own unique playstyle (one that differs greatly from the 'standard' or 'norm'), it's often not valid as a direct result of the non-standard elements of your chosen playstyle. Basically, if your advice centers around using the editor, it's probably not a valid line of advice for the question being posed. But believe me, I totally understand the whole alternative playstyle thing. Remember, I'm the weirdo who only plays women's promotions. :p

drcat, what everyone is saying is that when you give advice centered on your own unique playstyle (one that differs greatly from the 'standard' or 'norm'), it's often not valid as a direct result of the non-standard elements of your chosen playstyle. Basically, if your advice centers around using the editor, it's probably not a valid line of advice for the question being posed. But believe me, I totally understand the whole alternative playstyle thing. Remember, I'm the weirdo who only plays women's promotions. :p

I get that point. If I ever give information against the masses way. I will be in bold alternative playstyle. I will call it no glass ceiling playstyle. If the cap was Vince McMahon cap. Can you imagine

Any time I try to push the Cali Dragons or Ring Generals as singles guys (Mikey James might be an exception)... they always have good enough stats that I say they deserve one push at the main event level, but they're always just missing something for me, and end up sinking back down to the midcard. Also Greg Black, who just bombed week in, week out for me when I tried to push him. Finally, I had Kurt Angle in 2004, but that push didn't fail because the fans rejected him/some undiscovered factor. That push failed because he was on ALL the drugs. :p

Husky Harris seems to have a glass ceiling over his head. Not a popularity cap either. He can reach A popularity (currently around B+), and his charisma is good enough. But his segments don't catch fire. They're good at best, as are his matches; not where I expect main eventers to be. I once let him main event a PPV and he bombed. There is a chance he may be destined to be a super upper midcarder for life.

In one my eary 90's / mid 90's saves of the 1987 db as WWF.

ShAWN Michaels was the heavyweight champion for the end of the year and lost it at the Rumble. Had nothing solid going on for Mania but was still pretty Hot.

I also had Chris Beniot who I had semi pushed slowly for the second half of the year but decided to try and create a new star by pushing Beniot hard on the run up to Mania and have him face and defeat HBK at Mania.. boom new heel Main eventer.

Problem was he got up to the 60's decently well but would get above the mid 70's in pop. would get to upper midcard and no higher... no matter who I had him defeat on Raw and PPV he wouldn't get any higher... in the end Wrestlemania came and I had no choice but to put HBK over..

Story wise it also made sense for HBK to in , as he was trying to prove he could be successful on his own since the liq turned on him. BenoIt wanted to prove HBK couldn't do it on his own..

Beniot was planned to defeat HBK and go on to have a short heavyweight title reign.. here HBK would battle to regain his confidence and reputation and defeat Beniot to prove he could do it on his own.

But no.. Beniot couldn't get over..

No obvious problems yet in my 1987-2000 game but in my 1996- 2005 Tew 2010 game I discovered that The Rock had a cap of around 50. This was discovered when he basically had the same push The Miz had in real life. World title win. Wrestlemania main event followed by nothing and his decent to "the people's European champ"

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Captain2" data-cite="Captain2" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="40944" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>"the people's European champ"</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That felt wrong just hearing that....</p>

• 1 month later...

For a bit, I didn't know what you guys were talking about, but then I remembered one of my games. Bradford Peverell was in my mid card, I wasn't pushing him too much because he had a comedy gimmick. Then his popularity just started increasing. His matches were A*. He rose up to upper mid card, even though he wasn't always winning. So I had to push him, the fans were clearly behind him.

Then there was Bull Wrecker, who no matter what I did, his popularity never increased.

Roman Reigns isn't one of those universal stars that a company needs to be a "face" of a company.

Exactly, I think that, sometimes you have to let someone go out there and see what happens. If they would have let things take a natural course, Roman could have actually been the face by now. It's not like we didn't like him when he was in the shield.

It reminds me of Alberto Del Rio, they brought him out of nowhere and he was competing for the WWE Title and winning Royal Rumbles. The reason nobody got behind him or Roman as being interesting people, was because they hadn't earned our respect. If Dolph was pushed up the card suddenly, nobody would complain, or if Cody or someone else, because they have proven themselves.

"The Roman Reigns Effect" is pretty much when you push someone who auto-pushes to Midcard level to the Main Event, and then script all their promos. While also having a gimmick he's not suited to, with a D+ or worse rating.

Sure you can put the guy in a 20 minute match, but his lower popularity and terrible gimmick will tank match ratings.

Could even go a step further and appoint him as your Figurehead, though we aren't sure how this will affect workers/companies until we get our hands on TEW 2016.

So your telling me he is popular and that means he is worth his spot? Lol not even close. Reigns has been on TV non stop and shoved down peoples throats. He should be on that list by how much he is forced to people.

It's not about him being on tv non stop, cause Ziggler is on tv every week and both Raw and Smackdown. It's that we didn't get to know him as a character. He hasn't developed well enough for us to know his personality.

"The Roman Reigns Effect" is pretty much when you push someone who auto-pushes to Midcard level to the Main Event, and then script all their promos. While also having a gimmick he's not suited to, with a D+ or worse rating.

Sure you can put the guy in a 20 minute match, but his lower popularity and terrible gimmick will tank match ratings.

Could even go a step further and appoint him as your Figurehead, though we aren't sure how this will affect workers/companies until we get our hands on TEW 2016.

I don't agree with this. Well, in many ways I do. His skills aren't main event quality. His gimmick is letting him down. He's not the best.

But I don't think that's what's happening. Roman isn't failing to get over. The fans are rejecting him, and no matter all of the (valid) reasons they give about Roman not being the guy, it's not a matter of unfulfilled destiny (or unplaceable blandness, ala Billy Gunn) this is outright rejection. "We're going to do the opposite of what you say" rejection. And I put the blame more on...

1) Ill-will towards the promotion. Like John Cena, they reject him because the company hasn't done right by them.

2) Because he isn't someone else. They prefer a Daniel Bryan, so whoever is picked above him will be rejected.

I don't think the Roman Reigns effect has anything to do with destiny. It's spite more than anything, and I don't know if there's anything in TEW that simulates that.

It's not about him being on tv non stop, cause Ziggler is on tv every week and both Raw and Smackdown. It's that we didn't get to know him as a character. He hasn't developed well enough for us to know his personality.

Ziggler isn't booked to be a world beater. Huge difference.

I don't agree with this. Well, in many ways I do. His skills aren't main event quality. His gimmick is letting him down. He's not the best.

But I don't think that's what's happening. Roman isn't failing to get over. The fans are rejecting him, and no matter all of the (valid) reasons they give about Roman not being the guy, it's not a matter of unfulfilled destiny (or unplaceable blandness, ala Billy Gunn) this is outright rejection. "We're going to do the opposite of what you say" rejection. And I put the blame more on...

1) Ill-will towards the promotion. Like John Cena, they reject him because the company hasn't done right by them.

2) Because he isn't someone else. They prefer a Daniel Bryan, so whoever is picked above him will be rejected.

I don't think the Roman Reigns effect has anything to do with destiny. It's spite more than anything, and I don't know if there's anything in TEW that simulates that.

I don't think it's spite. Some of it maybe, but I think if he were booked properly the fans would ease up. Apparently his last "cocky" promo on RAW got over with the IWC, so we'll see if they continue that.

In TEW terms however, I would say he is a worker that has a super face gimmick, but lacks the charisma to pull it off. He also lacks the psychology in a company with hostile crowds that will reject such a thing. Cena on the other hand, simply had a stale gimmick.

I dunno if the spite thing is true, personally I hate watching Roman promos and matches because he's boring. Then again, I never liked him in the Shield either, I only liked Ambrose, although Seth grew on me. My brother watched Wrestlemania with me, and he hasnt watched since Austin retired, except a few NXT shows, and at one point he turned to me and said "This Roman guy, he's not that good is he?". So I know I'm not the only person who feels like this about Roman. You can't blame the audience if a guy keeps getting booed. At the end of the day, the crowd just wants to be entertained, and if Roman cant entertain the crowd, it's his and the writers fault. I really dont know how the WWE could fix him to be honest, he's tainted now I think, so it will be harder for most fans to forget the two years of mediocrity. Maybe a heel turn could work, but it doesn't change the fact that he can't act and that he wrestles the same match every week, so it might fizzle out after a while

exactly

Just to throw a twist into the conversation, here's a new thought: TEW doesn't differentiate between Face overness and Heel overness (nor do I think it needs to). Could an argument be made that Roman Reigns, who gets a strong reaction from the crowd, is over in TEW terms? The closing segment a few weeks back when Trips beat the crap out of him certainly got a huge reaction from the crowd and had everyone talking about it for days afterwards. Was that not a highly-rated angle? And was it not based equally on, let's say "respect" for Triple-H and hate for Reigns? It wasn't at all what the WWE intended (we think), but didn't it work nonetheless?

I'm not sure I agree with this idea myself but it's something to think about. Otherwise my "TEW" assessment of Reigns is that he has high Star Quality but low charisma and very poor mic and acting skills. His Face performance is weak and his current gimmick is stale. His ring-work is adequate for a Pop>Perf fed. In short, a valuable piece but not someone I would consider building my company around.

None of this is helped by poor booking. He's been asked to cut long promos despite having terrible entertainment skills, and he's been booked to look dominant but doesn't have the necessary Charisma to get the bonuses.

I think if he were booked properly the fans would ease up. Apparently his last "cocky" promo on RAW got over with the IWC, so we'll see if they continue that.

The secret to booking Roman is obvious: Less talk, more rock. Just keep sending him out to fight while acknowledging but not responding to the crowd. Eventually the fans will come around. Eventually.

Sadly, the WWE doesn't know how to book a top face without the "easy mode" of a Hogan, Austin, Rock, or even Cena who were all promo machines. Roman can still be a top face but he'll need an ace heel to generate all the heat in their feud.

Sadly, the WWE doesn't know how to book a top face without the "easy mode" of a Hogan, Austin, Rock, or even Cena who were all promo machines. Roman can still be a top face but he'll need an ace heel to generate all the heat in their feud.

And unfortunately, they only have two proven 'ace heels' in the company. One, he just beat. The other is out injured (alpha predator/viper dude). Owens still hasn't figured out how to shake off or reverse the crowd's adulation. Jericho is a short timer and though he makes a good heel, I don't think he can really make people hate him. I also question wth WWE was doing with Triple H with all his pandering to the crowd (crotch chops and babyface mannerisms).

But man, I love Self's post. So much to think about on that side of things. Saddest part is that the current #1 contender would undoubtedly be a better choice as champion but there's no way they put the title on him.

And unfortunately, they only have two proven 'ace heels' in the company. One, he just beat. The other is out injured (alpha predator/viper dude). Owens still hasn't figured out how to shake off or reverse the crowd's adulation. Jericho is a short timer and though he makes a good heel, I don't think he can really make people hate him. I also question wth WWE was doing with Triple H with all his pandering to the crowd (crotch chops and babyface mannerisms).

But man, I love Self's post. So much to think about on that side of things. Saddest part is that the current #1 contender would undoubtedly be a better choice as champion but there's no way they put the title on him.

Oh God, this just made me think of a potential Randy Orton vs Roman Reigns rivalry...My God, that sounds like the most boring storyline in history, that would really test my loyalty to WWE. Owens is probably the best thing going in the WWE but I want Owens to stay as far away from Roman Reigns as possible.

I'm almost certain Triple H was taking his own liberties. He knows exactly what he's doing and wanted to revel in smark adulation, even if just under certain circumstances.

Vince even had to tell him not to do the intro to Takeover anymore since he's supposed to be a heel. That's one of Vince's decisions I actually agree with.

Archived