How Will TEW 2016 Change Your Booking?

Looking at the features described in the Developer's Journal, I can tell my style of booking is likely to change. Admittedly, some of this has to do with a mild OCD -- I want my show results to more or less resemble the AI's and to fit neatly into my history. Limitations of previous TEW engines have forced me into some strange booking contortions but now I'm free to have...

More 4 x 4 and 5 x 5 Matches

Viewing my company's history, I'm always bothered when a match record cuts off the participants' names. That's stopped me from 5 x 5 matches -- I literally never book them and I tend to only book 4 x 4 matches when they involve two tag teams teaming up against two others. But now that TEW 2016 will be Using Stable Names in the match results, those cut offs don't have to happen. Survivor Series matches will be so much cleaner: The Hulkamaniacs vs. The Million Dollar Team instead a clunky list of wrestlers and tag teams. Likewise, being able to book The Four Horsemen against four members of the nWo. And with puro so focused on matches between stables, this is sure to have a major impact on my NJPW and PGHW booking.

More Angles

Human players tend to book sports entertainment with a healthy mix of matches and angles whereas the TEW 2013 AI will often book a SWF show with precious few angles -- perhaps just one or two. As I want my show history not to deviate too far from the AI's, I tend to limit my angles. That's for realism's sake (the TEW reality, at least) and it's often to my company's detriment. Fortunately, with the AI Angles Upgrade, I'll be able to book more freely, using the angles I want without feeling like I'm taking unfair advantage of the AI.

No Leadership, All Diplomacy

Typically, I'll mix my talents up from game to game but I do enjoy a volatile locker room where I have the ability to influence my workers' behavior. With TEW 2016 adding so much focus to managing locker room morale, I'm going to love doubling down on this by sinking 10 points into Diplomacy and none in Leadership. Let the backstage drama drive the on-screen drama. Speaking of which...

Suspensions and Monster Heel Beatdowns

Oftentimes in TEW 2013 a worker will cause trouble backstage and I'll be inclined to suspend them but won't because I don't like taking someone off TV unless there's a storyline explanation. Now that TEW 2016 will impose the suspension *after* the show in question, I can have my monster heel clobber those troublemakers, thereby explaining why they're no longer on shows, and setting up a potential feud for their return.

Bidding Wars Galore

The AI is set to be more aggressive when hiring, and with TEW 2016's Monday Night Wars' upgrade it'll be interesting to see if we can "poison" it by bloating its roster with expensive stars. Losing out on valuable workers might be worth it if the AI can only get them with Wage Matching or Hiring Veto clauses. And I can see great fun in carefully getting a talentless worker super popular with the intent of having the AI eventually steal him with a long-term big money contract.

How do you think TEW 2016 is likely to influence your booking style?

<p>It seems that Tag Team's will have a bigger role now, which i am very happy to see. I think i will give a focus to the Tag Team division. </p><p> </p><p>

Monsters also have bigger impact to the game, with their enforcer roles, so i could spend more time trying to build up those bigger workers (something i rarely used to do in the previous games, i preferred to focus on all round, talented workers)</p>

<p>With less of a focus on in ring talent for companies like SWF, I think I'll better be able to push who I have ideas for like a Bear Bekowski or Primus Allen without worrying if they'll kill my match grades. It'll also allow me to put the title on Marat without murdering my main event and my show grades. </p><p> </p><p>

Past that it really depends on how the new features work. If the backstage thing is a huge deal, then that may effect how I book talents that I usually like. The bidding wars sound really nice too. Should I go for Joey Minnesota knowing that he's terrible backstage? Or should I up his price so that TCW is stuck with the bad backstage guy and potentially prevents them from coming after one of my top guys. A lot of questions still need to be answered.</p>

<p>-I'll be more inclined to include women in my product (I always felt bad about shunning them, but sadly they never contributed much to the product on their own). </p><p> </p><p>

-I won't feel so bad about keeping a few ridiculous "pet projects" around. (Like say, an El Gigante/Kurrgan tag team). Since even if they're terrible, they'll probably still contribute to the 'diversity' of the program.</p><p> </p><p>

-I'd say I'd put most of my skill points into leadership and diplomacy, but I already do that. </p><p> </p><p>

-I'll probably double down on looking for workers with positive personality traits. I like to run a tight, harmonious ship and with the new backstage changes nothing will change in that regard.</p><p> </p><p>

-I'll be more reluctant to put young guys on top and less draconian about shunting away old guys as soon as they start declining. Which I kinda hate TBH, but honestly as much I like having a lot of young guys on the roster, it takes them a few years to reach a point skillwise where I would want them on top anyway unless they were a transcendent talent to begin with.</p><p> </p><p>

-I'll turn perfect show theory back on. I really soured on it in 2013 when I simultaneously got the 'burnt out crowd' and 'cold crowd' note in one of my MEs. But being able to put a cooldown match as the penultimate match on a show without compromising the rating will make me feel better about it.</p>

To answer the question: It probably won't.

I'll get to use more stable based content due to the 5v5 mechanics but I used a lot of stables already.

I've always valued good influences backstage so that's not going to change. There will be more flavor added but I always shoot for 100% backstage rating anyway. That does not mean that I don't have negative personalities on my rosters. I just temper them with positive folks. I have incidents occur but they're mainly positive and the negative ones I get are easily handled. Two strike policy: first time, I tell 'em to knock it off. Second time, you get depushed to enhancement talent (isn't that right, Fuyuko Higa and Lady Lotus?).

Oh wait, I will have to shift a bit due to the figurehead thing, as well as "the Bayley addition". I always tend to have those kinds of workers on my roster anyway (Yukiko Matsumara, Otsune Tsumura, HEART Saitoh, Zoe Ammis, etc) so it won't require a change.

AI changes won't affect me because I rarely care about the AI. I don't see any bidding wars breaking out since, unless the C-Verse has changed drastically, no one's going to care about women's wrestling even after I take my company to National+. That's part of the AI that I don't think is changing: it's not going to adjust to changing market conditions. If women's wrestling is red hot, in reality, other promotions would start a women's division.

I can't say for sure without having the game in front of me. But given the features we've seen, I don't see my booking style changing much, if at all.

Good question.

I'll be jumping from 2010, so the differences will probably be more pronounced, but the big one seems to be booking according to product. That was easy to disregard previously, but will apparently have more impact now.

Given the number of changes, I think it will require playing through a number of shows and carefully assessing the outcomes to know how booking practices should be altered.

It won't change things immediately. I'll book as I always do. As things go on I'll discover what no longer works, and adapt accordingly. Which is gonna be a lot of fun. I can see myself using Pre-Booker more than I'd like. Lazy way to get to the new PPV.

I'll probably use the autobooker a lot as a template ill edit

Agreed with this completely.

I tend to be rather formulaic in my booking currently because it's easier for me than trying to figure out exactly how to book every show.

Plug and play the guys you're looking to push, modify outcomes...manage the roster as you see fit.

I envision it being like you're hiring a trusted booker and then playing the "Vince card"

Agreed with this completely.

I tend to be rather formulaic in my booking currently because it's easier for me than trying to figure out exactly how to book every show.

Plug and play the guys you're looking to push, modify outcomes...manage the roster as you see fit.

I envision it being like you're hiring a trusted booker and then playing the "Vince card"

Yes.

It probably won't.

I'll be turning quite a few of the new features off, so it won't affect much.

We'll see after I get the first save going (whatever mod comes out first).

If you're turning quite a few of the new features off, why are you buying the new game? Is there a feature you really like?

I hardly focused on the tag team division and women's divisions before, but will be using them more heavily. I will probably use more stables.

If the injuries are up and the backstage incidents up, I think that may affect who I sign a bit.

One thing that won't change is the way I book Tag matches, since I thought that defining the loser actually mattered before...

I thought that as well. Glad I'm not the only one.

Yes.

I never thought about this. I will definitely be trying this method out! :D

It shouldn't have too big of an effect on my booking, although the new changes may effect my backstage handling somewhat (no more firing a talent I have no use for just because he starts an argument or shows up late once).

I tend to start with regional companies and build them up...mostly a created company where I take the best talent available and build my roster around them. since discovering it, I tend to play the Thunderverse a lot, and don't envision that changing for 2016. Although Real World Chronicles is a mod I do enjoy a lot when I'm in the mood to take a crack at the "real world".

Half my games are all women's promotions, usually created (Dream: Athletics), so Women's Wrestling is a big part of my booking anyway. When I don't play all women promotions, I ALWAYS have a big Women's and Tag Team division...so glad to see the improvements to both of those. I always tend to have 8-10 Main Women, and 2-4 minor/supporting (jobbers) women. Tag Teams there is usually 6-8 main tag teams, with 2-3 minor ones, mainly young "home made" (Meaning sticking two fairly talented, but not over, young wrestlers together as a team), the new system that makes it easier for unknowns to atleast gain some decent overness fairly quickly is a nice addition.

The new challenge I can see, in regards to my booking, is the "Figurehead" addition. I've always booked my main eventers fairly evenly...my take being that EVERY Main Event talent should be believable as my Champion. That any Main Eventer could logically win the title at any time, because I always book them to be fairly equal. So I've never been shy about having my top babyface put over my up and coming heel, and vice versa. With the new feature (Which I'll have to use...cause it's there. :) ) I'll be a little more likely to have one wrestler stand above the others, one be THE top guy/girl. No more having Kris Phoenix & Jack America trading wins back and fourth, building to the ultimate showdown...Looks like Jack is now my #1 guy. :)

The new challenge I can see, in regards to my booking, is the "Figurehead" addition. I've always booked my main eventers fairly evenly...my take being that EVERY Main Event talent should be believable as my Champion. That any Main Eventer could logically win the title at any time, because I always book them to be fairly equal. So I've never been shy about having my top babyface put over my up and coming heel, and vice versa. With the new feature (Which I'll have to use...cause it's there. :) ) I'll be a little more likely to have one wrestler stand above the others, one be THE top guy/girl. No more having Kris Phoenix & Jack America trading wins back and fourth, building to the ultimate showdown...Looks like Jack is now my #1 guy. :)

"Each company now has the option of appointing a company figurehead (or 'ace'). This is the face of the company and the central focal point of the promotion's marketing and creative direction. "

Figureheads are optional I believe for companies that like to stay with mixed group of guys at the top! ;) But yeah, if you feel the need to use it I understand. I am really intrigued by it.

Likely very little at first. I will autobook B shows, but that's all. Once I have some sembalnce of faith in the autobooking and soften my control freak tendancies, I might use it to "Vince" RAW's and Smackdowns as you guys have put it. I'll point them in the direction I want and have the final say. I would prefer to focus on my women's brand.

Are we allowed to pick more than one "Ace?" I don't recall. I have a few people in mind I would love to make my figureheads.

Archived