Small Questions Thread & "Living FAQ"

The purpose of this is to replace the "small questions that don't deserve their own thread" idea from TEW2013.

Although that was extremely useful to a lot of players, it was also extremely cumbersome to search, intimidatingly big to new players, and was about 75% made up of the same few questions repeated over and over again.

This thread will work in a similar, but much more organised fashion. As before, players are encouraged to ask any smaller questions that they have and will receive help from either myself, the TEW team, or other community members. The difference is that the second post in the thread will be a 'living F.A.Q.'; that is, questions that are asked repeatedly or are deemed particularly useful will be added to an ongoing FAQ - this will make searching 100x easier, and also allow repeated material to be pruned out of the thread on a regular basis.

While I'm still expecting the thread to become quite big over time, at least this will make things a little more straightforward, especially in terms of being able to do a quick search before you post.

Note that the 'living F.A.Q.' will also regularly be used to update and expand the in-game Player's Handbook, saving players from even having to go online to find their answers.

Living F.A.Q.

Q. Do I have to run the game in admin mode?

A. Yes. If you right-click on the game's shortcut and go to the Compatability tab there is a checkbox for "Run this program as administrator". Ticking that will stop you having to right-click to run the game every time. NB: If you ever try and play the game outside of the admin mode then the game will warn you when you open it.

Q. Why can I see grades for some workers, numbers for others, and text for others?

A. The level of detail and accuracy you can see depends on the scouting level of that worker. The scouting level increases over time as the worker performs, with the increase being larger when they work in front of more people.

Q. I see screen shots where people have both grades and numbers, how do I get that?

A. That is a fan made set of graphics that you can get from the Mods forum. It's not an actual game feature that you can turn on or off.

Q. I want to edit my save game (such as to remove an injury), how can I do that?

A. You can edit some aspects of a save game via the editor in the Options menu. You cannot edit the file directly as it is password protected. It is highly recommended that you do NOT try and get around the password protection as there is no error checking included in the file and so it is very easy to corrupt your save game. Technical support is not offered to people who ignore this warning.

Q. I've moved my picture folder across from TEW2013 but it isn't available in game. Why not?

A. The TEW2016 Pictures folder structure is different to 2013's (Broadcasters has replaced TV and Carriers). You should use Create A Picture Folder in the editor to create the correct structure and then copy and paste your content across.

Q. Can I turn off the theme music or replace it?

A. Yes. The file is in the folder "Music". Deleting the file turns off the music entirely, or you can replace it with another file (as long as it is named identically).

Q. What is \ was the secret feature that was mentioned in the journal?

A. The secret feature was revealed at the end of this thread.

Q. How do I set a show to be part of a specific brand after doing a Brand Split?

A. TV Shows:

Broadcasting > TV Controls > Select the TV Show > Edit Details.

Events:

Schedule > Double click Event (or Single Click > Modifiy Event).

Q. My show grade is higher than any of my regional popularity but I'm being told I've either lost popularity in some regions or only gained in the region it was being shown. How is that possible?

A. Very simply you're not making enough gains to cancel out external negatives. For example, if your score was only enough to make you a 0.25% gain but you're losing 0.5% because the wrestling industry is in the toilet then you're on -0.25% overall, which is a loss. Similarly, if you gain 0.25% but lose 0.25% then you're neutral. The region it is being shown in can end up being the only one that sees a gain because it has the added gains from the live audience.

Q. I don't seem to be able to gain popularity for my company, how come?

A. If the wrestling industry in your area is extremely poor it can be very difficult to gain popularity due to the associated penalties. You must either put on such great shows that you exceed the penalties, or, more likely, wait for the industry to recover to the point where you can start gaining again.

Q. I have someone who is turning up drunk \ high a lot. How do I deal with them?

A. Unless they actually generate an incident then you can't directly influence them, you must either hope they improve on their own, hope they do something bad enough that you can deal with them, or cut your losses and either get rid of them or no longer use them. This simulates workers who have issues but are not going off the rails so much that they're causing actual major problems. This is mostly for gameplay reasons to add shades of grey and make people with issues harder to handle and less a black and white case of 'OK they caused problems so I will rehab or fire them'; you will need to think more strategically.

Q. Where can I see how close to getting in the Hall Of Immortals a worker is?

A. It is included in the worker's profile, under Title History. It will only show if they've achieved something, 0% will be ignored.

Q. What happens if I have an angle as the last segment of a show, is that the main event?

A. No. The last match on the show is the main event for the purposes of calculating the show's grade. In the booking screen the phrase 'main event' is applied to the last segment purely so the player can see what order the show is going in.

Q. Does the size of the broadcaster's coverage impact how quickly a worker gains popularity?

A. Indirectly. The size of the broadcaster impacts the rate at which the company's popularity changes (as well as how much money they can make) which then has a knock-on effect on the workers who perform there.

Q. I'm playing an organic mod and no road agents are being generated, why?

A. Road agents should naturally be created when wrestlers retire. Organic mods, being a naturally unrealistic scenario, will obviously create unrealistic effects at times, and this is one.

Q. If a tag team have a legendary match does that only apply to their tag team HOF and HOI achievements, or does it also count to their singles achievements too?

A. It applies to both singles and tag.

Q. How do I have an alliance title defended on my show?

A. You need to go into the Alliance Titles screen in PM booking mode and use the Borrow Title button. This will add the belt to your active titles list and it can be booked as normal.

Q. How do I have my child company's titles OR alliance partner company's titles defended on my shows?

A. You can't. The only external titles you can have in your company are alliance belts or those that you pillage or buy.

Q. How do I create a new avatar?

A. Via the main editor. Create a worker and set User Character to Yes.

Q. How do I advance multiple days at once?

A. Activate the Multi Advance feature from the Options menu. When you try to advance a day you will be given a new pop-up that asks how many days you want to advance.

Q. How do I send someone on excursion?

A. You can't. Workers will choose when they want to go.

Q. What does Potential actually affect?

A. High potential simply makes sure that a worker's various hidden maximum levels are very high, meaning he will always have the potential to become very good. It does not guarantee that he will, it just prevents the possibility of him getting stuck at a low level via the caps.

Q. I am trying to use my announcers in an angle but am being blocked because they're already in use? Why?

A. Because they are - the announcers for the segment are listed in the top right hand corner of the angle booking screen. If you want the announcers to also take part in the angle itself, they can't also be commentating, they must be removed.

Q. How do workers gain loyalty to a company?

A. Simply by being signed. It doesn't always happen however, it depends on the specific situation. It is harder to gain in TEW2016 than it was in previous versions of the game.

Q. How do I see the cheat codes for TEW2016?

A. Go to Remote Assistance (in Options) and use the code empleh; this will show all the currently known cheat codes.

Q. How do I see the Dirt Sheet that people are talking about?

A. You need to enable it via the Options -> User Preferences screen. Once activated, it appears in the show output screen as the right-most tab.

Q. The HoF criteria talks about 'big shows'; what constitutes a 'big show'?

A. Any annual event.

Q. Can a heel be a good figurehead? What about my company doesn't use faces and heels?

A. The Figurehead analysis screen shows exactly what does and doesn't affect a potential figurehead's value.

Q. How do I book my child company?

A. You cannot. Your ability to affect them is limited to those tools in the Child Company section of your office.

Q. I have an injured wrestler but don't have the option to do surgery on them even though the injury is set to allow it - why?

A. You can't do surgery if there are less than 28 days remaining until he is healthy, nor if the injury can be worked through.

Q. I signed a retired wrestler and edited him to be active again, but while his profile says he is active he is still listed as retired in my company...?

A. A wrestler has one status for his generic profile and one for each contract. You've only edited the former. You would need to edit the contracts too.

Q. What's the difference between Very Low and Low for products? Neither seem to affect anything.

A. There is no difference in what they affect (i.e. nothing). The only difference is that if you look to increase them then Low is going to be less of a severe change as it's already higher by one level.

Q. What affects whether a wrestler refuses a match due to high injury risk?

A. It's physical condition, personality, company size, and whether it's an event or TV.

Q. Where do I view a wrestler's finishing move and \ or edit them?

A. Click on their name in the roster screen and you can edit their personal details and move set there.

Q. Why has my Misc expenditure suddenly risen?

A. Misc costs rise as the company grows in size. They will also likely naturally rise when you start running shows further afield due to travel costs. If you make more than $500,000 per month (pre tax) then you also fall into a higher bracket and get extra Misc costs added.

• 2 weeks later...
In regards to qualifications for the Hall of Immortals, do any main event matches on legendary shows qualify a competitor to receive a boost towards the HoI? Like a four way match, tag team match, etc? Do those matches count or is it only singles matches?

What's everyone's preferred way for getting a Authority Figure's overness up.

Any certain angles?

Or just have them in and winning big storylines?

Personally i got mad Braddox over by him burying roman and cena ;)

I find that having them in major angles with main event talents him builds their overness

Ambush is a good one. But in your case with a babyface, I guess you could have him abuse power Agaisnt some top heels. Successes over guys with higher popularity is the key.

Just use him like you used mad braddox in waw maxi. Youll get shane over by being in segments with top guys

Match Aim's

I'm confused about match aim's... I feel its quite complicated and would like clarification.

Let's take TCW for example. You are required to have one "storytelling" match aim per show. In previous versions of the game is was are very bad idea to use "keep strong, protect, or dominate" in a main event spot. It could seriously hurt the entire show.

I have Marat Khokluv signed to TCW. He sucks pretty much but can have a good match when paired with the right person and using "protect", would it be a wise move to make all of his matches "storytelling" as well?

What are the perks and negatives to "storytelling", does this make for a good main event? What are the literal in game changes that occur when using "storytelling"?

Also, "Technical Masterclass" ... I used this in a main event with workers that fit the criteria and got a shitty rating saying that this type of match was a bad idea for hot crowd. I used it in the main event. So before running this match aim, should I have a "calm the crowd" match? Are there any other match aims that "calm the crowd"? Does "calm the crowd" mean you are going to get a lesser match rating? Should I use "work the crowd" right after a "Technical Masterclass"?

"Mayhem", does this make for a poor main event? The note says this is good to get the crowd hot for matches later on the card.

"Steal the show", are these matches still best around the 15 minute mark, unless the worker has like 85+ stamina?

"Spectacle" what are the perks of using this very "regular" or any other match aim.

Anyone have insight here?

In older versions you only increased your announcing skill if you were in the "first chair", which is the one to the far left in the announcers screen from your office. That made sense so I doubt it's been changed.

Q: If I use the send away option as a Japanese company, do I still have to pay their downside?

Thank you!

I'm confused about match aim's... I feel its quite complicated and would like clarification.

Let's take TCW for example. You are required to have one "storytelling" match aim per show. In previous versions of the game is was are very bad idea to use "keep strong, protect, or dominate" in a main event spot. It could seriously hurt the entire show.

I have Marat Khokluv signed to TCW. He sucks pretty much but can have a good match when paired with the right person and using "protect", would it be a wise move to make all of his matches "storytelling" as well?

Heeeelllll nawww. Khoklov couldn't tell a good story if he was reading it from a book. To tell a good story, you need psychology first and foremost (and charisma, another thing Khoklov lacks). Maybe if he was in the ring with Brent Hill, he might get carried to something watchable, but it's not the note I'd use.

What are the perks and negatives to "storytelling", does this make for a good main event? What are the literal in game changes that occur when using "storytelling"?

Storytelling means you're going out to try to tell a story. They don't generally make great PPV main events. It's best for workers, like aforementioned Brent Hill, who are never going to set the world on fire with their top row skills, but know what they're doing with their performance stats (charisma doesn't hurt either). Eddie Chandler is another example of a good storyteller. Workers with high performance stats but not fantastic top row stats, who can get the crowd invested through psychology and charisma rather than flashy moves and high-energy brawls.

A match like Dave Diamond vs. Brent Hill for instance would more often do better as a story telling match than trying to steal the show. The TCW roster is full of such guys.

Also, "Technical Masterclass" ... I used this in a main event with workers that fit the criteria and got a shitty rating saying that this type of match was a bad idea for hot crowd. I used it in the main event. So before running this match aim, should I have a "calm the crowd" match? Are there any other match aims that "calm the crowd"? Does "calm the crowd" mean you are going to get a lesser match rating? Should I use "work the crowd" right after a "Technical Masterclass"?

You don't usually want a technical masterclass in the main event. These matches are designed to keep the crowd interested without overdoing it. If you have capable workers, they're great in the pre-main event slot. Your main event should usually be a fantastic, all-out barnstormer, not a slow, methodical chess match (even if your product is designed for such matches. Remember aims modify the default match in your product. If your matches are already slow, methodical chess matches because you're a Pure fed, you don't want your main event to be an even more slow, methodical one). This is the kind of note that's great if you've got two main event quality matches on a PPV and one of them happens to be between two good technical workers.

The quintessential technical masterclass, IMO, was Angle/Benoit at the 2003 Royal Rumble. A fantastically worked technical exhibition, right between the world title match everyone knew was going to suck, and the Royal Rumble which is an hour long. The last thing you want for an hour long match is the crowd to already be burned out, which would probably have happened if you told Angle and Benoit to go all out. So that fitted in perfectly, picking up the pieces from HHH/Steiner, and setting up for the spectacle that is the Rumble match. EDIT: I didn't mean that literally! Must choose words more carefully. Please don't literally book a 60 minute battle royale as a spectacle.

"Mayhem", does this make for a poor main event? The note says this is good to get the crowd hot for matches later on the card.

Indeed, a Mayhem match would make a poor main event. For a start, it directly tells you in the description that it limits the potential quality of the match - not something you want in your main event. These are good warm-up matches for early on in the show, and for hiding your Killer Shark in. I mean, er...

"Steal the show", are these matches still best around the 15 minute mark, unless the worker has like 85+ stamina?

Aye, they use the all out match note, so anything over 15 minutes is going to need decent stamina. You can probably get away with 18-20 with most workers unless they stand out as having poor stamina, but any more than that you'll be needing B+/A.

"Spectacle" what are the perks of using this very "regular" or any other match aim.

Spectacles are basically main event story telling matches (note: they don't HAVE to be main events, I just mean main event calibre). They're your Undertaker Wrestlemania matches, matches where the workers involved are very popular and have great performance skills, but not so great on the top row so you're worried they won't be able to handle stealing the show. As the note says, suitable workers in the right circumstances can put on a match way above their normal level (I've booked an A* spectacle involving a 47-year old Enygma, of all people. His TV matches in the feud leading up to that struggled to hit B).

Personally, I only use the match aims that my product demands I have, and at most 1 or 2 others. I only ever use Steal the Show and below for PPV main events (unless Steal the Show is demanded by my product of course in which case TV main events too), unless there's a good reason for it (that Engyma match I mentioned earlier annoyed me quite a bit, because it was my semi-main and completely overshadowed the comparatively lackluster main event :p).

Quick question but can the announcing skill increase?

if seen the colour skill increase but not announcing.

and if yes how and what is the best way to increase it?

It does increase. Like all stats, it increases through use. Ie, you need to be actually pushed as an announcer. You won't improve as an announcer by working as a colour commentator.

You don't NEED to be working shows to improve, it's assumed that you find other indy work if you're unemployed, but it obviously speeds up the process. Youth also helps, as with all stats (except stuff like Respect obviously), but the scale is different. You don't stop gaining announcing skill at anywhere near the same peak as in-ring skills, because that'd be silly.

http://i.imgur.com/B24H9BM.png

http://i.imgur.com/Pxquwo7.png

http://i.imgur.com/X3pbDy6.png

Remmington's improvement doesn't look that impressive there, but he starts at 64, so...

Are Women handicapped for having a specific decision this year?

Er... no? They never have been? Not sure I understand the question (even assuming you meant division, not decision).

In older versions you only increased your announcing skill if you were in the "first chair", which is the one to the far left in the announcers screen from your office. That made sense so I doubt it's been changed.

Q: If I use the send away option as a Japanese company, do I still have to pay their downside?

Thank you!

The Send Away Button is just for sending workers to developmental companies, Which only works with people under written contracts.

In the editor it's just below the worker's race and nationality (roughly half way down the screen, left-hand column of boxes). In the Cornellverse by default all workers are set to only have a home region, and the actual area is semi-randomised (from among sensible choices) at the start of each game, but you can select a home area if you wish.

can you raise the size of your own broadcaster after making it without using the editor?

Yup. Once created, the button you use to create the network becomes 'view network' instead, and on that screen you can increase your coverage in each area of the world individually.

It's more expensive to increase than it is to start bigger, though. Ie, going from Big in the USA to Very Big costs more than creating a Very Big network in the USA in the first place would have compared to creating a Big one.

I'm looking for some advice. I created a company and am now at the beginning of July. My momentum has moved from F- to D+. My show ratings are usually around C-. I'm seeing an increase in the amount of people wanting to go to my shows (by about 1,000 since the beginning). My rankings versus competitors in regions have moved from last to first or second, but I'm not seeing any increase in popularity ratings or importance. I'm currently on Los Deporte Hoy (with ratings of C- when all they want is E+, but they're unwilling to budge on the time slot), but am hoping to eventually get a network with a little more exposure. Do I just keep plugging away? I'm operating at a loss of around 20k a month, so I need to see some positives within the next 6 months or so.

I'm looking for some advice. I created a company and am now at the beginning of July. My momentum has moved from F- to D+. My show ratings are usually around C-. I'm seeing an increase in the amount of people wanting to go to my shows (by about 1,000 since the beginning). My rankings versus competitors in regions have moved from last to first or second, but I'm not seeing any increase in popularity ratings or importance. I'm currently on Los Deporte Hoy (with ratings of C- when all they want is E+, but they're unwilling to budge on the time slot), but am hoping to eventually get a network with a little more exposure. Do I just keep plugging away? I'm operating at a loss of around 20k a month, so I need to see some positives within the next 6 months or so.

Keep plugging away. :) Growth is relatively slow. If you switched to numbers instead of grades, you'd see an increase faster. But going up a letter grade (say, from F- to F) isn't quick. Though obviously the lower down you are, the quicker it is.

Keep plugging away. :) Growth is relatively slow. If you switched to numbers instead of grades, you'd see an increase faster. But going up a letter grade (say, from F- to F) isn't quick. Though obviously the lower down you are, the quicker it is.

For a dingus who can't find where to switch to numbers, where would that be? :D