How do you plan to use one-night tournaments?

With the game's release looming, and the news of one-night tournaments coming back to the game, I've been brainstorming some ideas of how I might use these in my organization (if at all).

I'm curious what you guys are all planning?

Recreate the old UFC and make tournaments the main draw of your org?

Use it as a chance for prospects to prove themselves?

A gatekeeper showdown to see who gets one last title shot?

A once-a-year big event type grand prix?

Anything else?

What are your plans for one-night tournaments?

im thinking i may start fresh when i start a RW game and vacate all the belts and have one night tournaments to award the titles, thatll fill up some fight cards to start with.

I also like the idea of using them to boost gatekeepers into contender status

also wanna do a 'freakshow' tournament with guys like Sapp, Cro Cop etc and see how that plays out

really cant wait for the return of the tournaments :D

I want to try and edit the default data and set it back to 1990(or 1993) and resetting everyone to 0-0. Then basically try to recreate the early years of MMA where in which the early events are one night tourneys. Cant wait for this game to be in my hands

I would love that! Be sure to release as a mod if you do it.

The fact the game includes organic bios too would make this even better. Do you anticipate this being easy enough to do ?

I've always been a huge fan of tournaments, but I also want to make them feel special.

I love using them to give a undiscovered guy a shot to jump up in popularity (and to have a win streak) In my book it's a good thing to have some average guys with big popularity that I can feed to new big prospects.

I can also picture using them to find a champion after a title gets vacated - which will probably happen to me considering I like to play as smaller promotions and my champions will likely be poached.

Side note: I'm hoping tournament finals scheduled as main events and co main events can be seen as worthy (assuming participants are big names). If I remember right, in the past they were not.

I would love that! Be sure to release as a mod if you do it.

The fact the game includes organic bios too would make this even better. Do you anticipate this being easy enough to do ?

I have an extreme lack of knowledge on making zip files or uploading mods and the like.

With that being said, it is very easy to do this using the mass editing tool. You can do it on WMMA4. What I typically do is make a copy of the default database (to not mess anything up when I want to go back to it) by exporting it to another DB. I set the year to 1990 on my copied DB, then using the mass editing tool a reset the records and "viola" you just traveled back in time!! Not sure if this is the best way to do it but it works for me. Hope that helps.:D:D:D

Edit: Be sure to also reset fighter popularity otherwise popular fighters like James Foster wont sign with your company if it is too small. Also I change all retired fighters status to active fighters bc just changing the year wont changed their retired status. From there the adjustments you make should be minimal.

I have an extreme lack of knowledge on making zip files or uploading mods and the like.

With that being said, it is very easy to do this using the mass editing tool. You can do it on WMMA4. What I typically do is make a copy of the default database (to not mess anything up when I want to go back to it) by exporting it to another DB. I set the year to 1990 on my copied DB, then using the mass editing tool a reset the records and "viola" you just traveled back in time!! Not sure if this is the best way to do it but it works for me. Hope that helps.:D:D:D

Right on.

It would be cool too if all fighters debut ages could be modified too, so you'd only have a fraction of fighters debuting in 1990 and then the rest to be rolled out to debut over the next 15 to 20 years. I would imagine having just one or two orgs in 1990 (if recreating UFC) would be odd if you still had the hundreds and hundreds of fighters that start in the default data.

Right on.

It would be cool too if all fighters debut ages could be modified too, so you'd only have a fraction of fighters debuting in 1990 and then the rest to be rolled out to debut over the next 15 to 20 years. I would imagine having just one or two orgs in 1990 (if recreating UFC) would be odd if you still had the hundreds and hundreds of fighters that start in the default data.

You can do just this already in WMMA4 and it's really cool. I actually had my start date for 1980 with one debuting company (ALPHA-1) that has an openweight division. I think there are only a handful of fighters in the early-mid 80's, with the late 80s turning into a boom.

The only thing I would suggest doing is resetting key stats like experience and wear-and-tear so each fighter debuts as a true rookie.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="ripwalk" data-cite="ripwalk" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44563" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I would love that! Be sure to release as a mod if you do it. <p> </p><p> The fact the game includes organic bios too would make this even better. Do you anticipate this being easy enough to do ?</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Someone made an early UFC mod for WMMA3. Granted the link probably no longer works as it was years ago but the mod was very cool.</p>

<p>I'm thinking I'll just use the one night tournaments in my own org as an annual Grand Prix. Maybe just 1 each year or 1 for each weight class.</p><p> </p><p>

I'd love to do an openweight Grand Prix but in WMMA 4 I could never get anyone to agree to fight anyone more than 1 weight class above or below them.</p>

The fact alone that I can run more than one tournament a night is going to change how I book in not how I play in general, I always tinker with the default database from the get go, I havent played a real world game since WMMA 2, and then once I get mods installed to flesh out the universe with more needed talent at every class, I tend to modify weight class by weight class almost every fighters upper and lower weights, promotions weight classes, rounds, promotion style, pretty much everything to be honest, I always want KDM FC to survive, FLB to run often, now that I can force them to run tournaments its going to be crazy. I really won't be able to grasp what I'll be able to do until I get my hands on the editor next week.

I do know that once I get the database the way that I want it, I'll be rolling it back to sometime in the 1980's, and doing a Dawn of MMA type mod for the default database starting in the early to mid 80's if not earlier depending on what I mods I end up adding and how many fights I have with early debut dates just so I can use the tournaments and test it out myself and also see how the AI handles it, I'll end up adding a shitload of narratives to kill early promotions before the main universe normally starts forcing an entire universe to have to use the local fights to keep fresh or pop up on a promotion thats designed to last 6 months but produce like 10 shows with tournaments before being killed deader than dead via narratives in Eastern Europe or some place weird. I'll end up doing countless 5-25 year sims so everythign plays out smoothly as I intend it to while still maintaining some resembelence of the default database as it should play out in the 90's.

I have a lot of ideas, and they mainly revolve around one night tournaments, I really could go on for a while about it, I haven't been this hyped to play and mod WMMA since WMMA2, I'm not really big on character creation and I let people who are handle that stuff, I'm really big on making a long term game something that plays off well and remains challenging 20-30 years in with my booking style and tournaments plays a really big part in that, now that the AI can book them, I can really make the database I've always wanted to play.

I don't have a lot of experience with WMMA, but I do like running my own organization. I plan on using them to get my organization started and to crown the champions of the different weight classes. After that not really sure how I will use them.

did a welterweight tournament in GAMMA. It was pretty fun to watch go down. Julio Reguerio beat Manuel Silva in the finals after beating some tough customers in Brubaker and Aldarisio. I'm def going to use the one night tournaments more often because they can add fights to a fighter's record and increase popularity

<p>For a GAMMA game I'm planning on having a 8-Man tournament to crown a champion in my newly added Featherweight division. Hopefully winning three times in one night will be a big enough popularity boost to make the inaugural champion a big enough star to headline.</p><p> </p><p> If this strategy works I'd probably do it again down the line if/when I introduce any other new divisions to the company.</p><p> </p><p> edit: </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="MightyDavidson" data-cite="MightyDavidson" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44563" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I plan on doing a one night tournament, called Odyssey, to determine GAMMA's new Featherweight Champion. If it proves popular I might use it to shake up the rankings for other divisions on a yearly basis. Or to crown interim champions in the event a champion is injured for an extended period.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><p> I missed that you had already said they were doing this same thing. Whoops.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="MightyDavidson" data-cite="MightyDavidson" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44563" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I plan on doing a one night tournament, called Odyssey, to determine GAMMA's new Featherweight Champion. If it proves popular I might use it to shake up the rankings for other divisions on a yearly basis. Or to crown interim champions in the event a champion is injured for an extended period.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> New to this. How do you crown interim champions? Do you just create a separate belt? Then when the interim champ faces the undisputed champ, you strip the interim title after?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Martel123" data-cite="Martel123" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44563" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>You just use the regular belt but don't use the champion at all.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That's pretty neat. There will be no restrictions right? Like, the champion must be injured for X months or the champion must be inactive for a certain amount of time. Thanks!</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="kemicode" data-cite="kemicode" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44563" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>New to this. How do you crown interim champions? Do you just create a separate belt? Then when the interim champ faces the undisputed champ, you strip the interim title after?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I think that's how it works. If memory serves that's how it worked in WMMA4.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Night Robin" data-cite="Night Robin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44563" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'm thinking I'll just use the one night tournaments in my own org as an annual Grand Prix. Maybe just 1 each year or 1 for each weight class.<p> </p><p> I'd love to do an openweight Grand Prix but in WMMA 4 I could never get anyone to agree to fight anyone more than 1 weight class above or below them.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> After seeing how this works in the game, I'm going to use them as to crown champions and interim champions when needed and I'm also going to hold an annual openweight tournament.</p>

Archived