Public Beta Reaction Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's completely beyond me how people complain about release dates being rescheduled when it's obvious that it's only for the benefit of the game. I'd rather have a game that is enjoyable and playable from the start than one that's a buggy mess (or, in this case, borderline impossible to use due to UI and UX design).

The mentality of the gaming community in the last about 10 to 15 years has damaged this whole industry so much. F2P games are only as successful as they are because people don't want to pay anymore for things that people do for a living. The mobile app stores are crowded with 1-star reviews of really effortful games (in comparison to other mobile games) because they cost about 2 €. And gaming companies have to endure shitstorms when they're delaying games because they want to make sure that they're great when they're released.

It's not like your life depends on you being able to play the game at a specific point in time. And if it does, that's something you should really take care of.

I'm happy that Adam has delayed the game and is delaying it further until it's ready because that's the only way he can make me consider buying it. And it gave me back some hope that I will at some point.

It's completely beyond me how people complain about release dates being rescheduled when it's obvious that it's only for the benefit of the game. I'd rather have a game that is enjoyable and playable from the start than one that's a buggy mess (or, in this case, borderline impossible to use due to UI and UX design).

Big agree. And judging by the screenshots, the UI is going to be a giant leap forward. So, in the end, the experience will be better. Not looking to start a fight, however.

Are you decided to buy the game teemu

I'll have a look at how the game is once it's finished, but it's still looking like a no. I'll try to muster through a full three month save with the final version of the trial and see how I feel. But there's still stuff I'm hoping to see in the patch notes. If not, then oh well. It's not even a huge deal, given how much I actually enjoy 2016, still.

It's not even a huge deal, given how much I actually enjoy 2016, still.

That's the thing, 2016 is so good that I too can live with it. There are a few features in 2020 I would miss if I play 2016 but 2016 plays great and I am used to the interface.

I'll be a day one buyer. Adam has earned my trust and respect. And I'll give 2020 a go but I know if it isn't fun 2016 will be there as a nice fallback.

Just my opinion. The first release date was cancelled, the second guessed one couldn’t be made either. That’s not that big of a drama, but the public image GDS is showing on this is simply not that professional. That’s not a personal critic on any person working on TEW. It’s just a criticism in terms of marketing and public relations. That’s just worthy of improvement.

This must be the only game you play. Delays with no explanation are commonplace in gaming today. Wasn't the Last of Us 2 supposed to come out last year? So was Cyberpunk 2077. In this instance, you're being informed as to why and given visual proof as to what the delay is concerning. Perhaps Adam should take a page out of the big publishers' books and just shovel out monkey crap and patch it later.

The mentality of the gaming community in the last about 10 to 15 years has damaged this whole industry so much. F2P games are only as successful as they are because people don't want to pay anymore for things that people do for a living.

The bolded part is absolutely false but if all you know is the gaming market in the West, I can see how you could think that. Free to play games have been the standard in Asia for decades, partially due to the internet cafe culture. (People couldn't/wouldn't generally afford to have consoles or PCs at home so they'd hang out in internet cafes to play games). At least in Korea and much of China. If people in the West would pay $30 for these games, they'd get released at those price points. But Pandora's Box has already been opened so the moment has passed. Many people will wait until a game goes on sale on Steam (or Epic gives it away for free) before paying attention though. They'd rather spend $60 for annualized trash loaded with microtransactions, so that's what they get.

Honestly i was sad at the first delay, as we’ve followed that game development for over a year and a half and the hype for this was very high. Now i look at what was fixed and Im happy it was delayed. now the second delay is really just a day so adam can make sure everything is alright. I can live with that. I dont even consider this a delay.

God i love TEW.

Many people will wait until a game goes on sale on Steam (or Epic gives it away for free) before paying attention though. They'd rather spend $60 for annualized trash loaded with microtransactions, so that's what they get.

This. On PS4 and on Steam there's sometimes fairly new games at -75 to -91% sale. I don't get it, I really don't. That is why I never buy any new games, with some exceptions (Mount & Blade: Bannerlord and TEW). :cool:

Saturday morning for us aussies, so one more morning coffee (two if you count the one I’m just finishing!).

While it’s one extra day’s wait, it still feels a LOT closer than when it was two weeks away and then delayed a further two weeks. I’m pumped for this, guys... just in time for the weekend!

I’m pretty happy with the daily changes we’ve seen so far too. Still some other stuff that needs addressing (a big one is moving segments), but I’m confident we’ll get there.

How are people angry at a one day delay lmao. If anything it not being pushed back even further for an overhaul is the bigger disappointment

Same, I'd be happy to wait until 2021 if it meant stuff like custom products and a few UI overhauls (that haven't been announced yet, or can be seen in the screenshots). And I don't even hate the idea of pre-set products, I just don't agree with how they've been implemented.

I've always been looking at the list of fixes and it's kind of absurd when you look at the whole post and see just how much has been tweaked and changed in the span of three weeks. Some of them crashes that were probably really confusing to diagnose or outright features and functionalities that weren't there when the beta started. I can only imagine how feverishly he's been working in the past month.

I've always been looking at the list of fixes and it's kind of absurd when you look at the whole post and see just how much has been tweaked and changed in the span of three weeks. Some of them crashes that were probably really confusing to diagnose or outright features and functionalities that weren't there when the beta started. I can only imagine how feverishly he's been working in the past month.

I have honestly been wondering & slightly worried about Adam in terms of the amount of time he's spending on the troubleshooting side. He seems to release a new demo patch every day. Including weekends.

I don't know how long it takes to address crashes & balance things, but It can't be a 5 minute job every time. I worry he's spending too much time working.

Hence why I say push the game back a few months. I'd rather him not overwork himself trying to get it all done at once. If it's not ready, don't kill yourself working non-stop on it. Even if it would anger a lot of people.

I'm all about that work/life balance.

I know Stellaris has little bonuses for all the ethics? I mean that game's kind of a mess for other reasons but still. I don't know how much it would hurt for TEW to say "you have a Hardcore product, all of your workers get a +7 to their Hardcore stat on shows with your company" or "you have a telenovela/skit-based product, all Gimmicky/Comedy gimmicks will score higher on that awful/average/whatever/legendary scale than they would otherwise." Little things like that that wouldn't be broken, but wouldn't feel like the game railroading you either. Should I make a thread? I don't wanna make a thread :(

If it's not ready, don't kill yourself working non-stop on it. Even if it would anger a lot of people.

I'm all about that work/life balance.

One thing about indie game dev sometimes: work/life balance does tend to suffer a bit, especially around release time. It's a simple thing to get consumed by every customer feedback, complaint and request to the point where its easy to burn out.

It's happened to me a few times over the last 20+ years, and it isn't pretty, trust me.

One thing about indie game dev sometimes: work/life balance does tend to suffer a bit, especially around release time. It's a simple thing to get consumed by every customer feedback, complaint and request to the point where its easy to burn out.

It's happened to me a few times over the last 20+ years, and it isn't pretty, trust me.

That's just sad though. I don't want people overworking themselves. I think a game can be better when they aren't in the fog of trying to finish something as quickly as possible.

Haste makes waste.

This. On PS4 and on Steam there's sometimes fairly new games at -75 to -91% sale. I don't get it, I really don't. That is why I never buy any new games, with some exceptions (Mount & Blade: Bannerlord and TEW). :cool:

There's people that pay the full price for a game they KNOW is crap, like WWE2K20. It was documented by some major streamers it was a complete disaster, the silence around the game was eerie. And they still went ahead blind and purchased it for full price, proceed to play it for 5 hours, then complain they want their money back because the game is unplayable.

It's laughable. I went ahead and got it at -50% a mere month (!) after release, and I know I was getting something that wasn't even strictly better than 2019 (pretty far from it, and normally these annual titles are).

There's also people that complain that CK2 is F2P now, and they had to pay for it almost 10 years ago.

It only leads to the conclusion that some people just complain about anything.

I first wondered why companies were suddenly postponing news about their games. It made a lot of sense to me to announce it now, in the midst of the corona crisis, but now I know better. The amount of toxicity, for instance after the Valhalla trailer (and apparently here too), is staggering. Seems the crisis is making people pricklier than ever, so it's not a good time to release anything, it seems. People point to them saying there's "gameplay" in the trailer, but there wasn't, but it's much deeper than that. I've seen a lot of mass outrage over lies, but never this heavy for a word ill chosen.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="The Nickman" data-cite="The Nickman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47578" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Saturday morning for us aussies, so one more morning coffee (two if you count the one I’m just finishing!).</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><p> My favorite part of this thread by far.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Questlove" data-cite="Questlove" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47578" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>How are people angry at a one day delay lmao. If anything it not being pushed back even further for an overhaul is the bigger disappointment</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> This. I finally stopped modding and actually played the game a little last night to find the perceived push feature that I was SUPER excited for uses Major Star to Unimportant instead of Main Eventer to Jobber. I swear an option to change that language would increase my enjoyment of the game by 25%.</p><p> </p><p> I remember when Sunless Seas released their Beta, they let it sit there for, like, half a year. Got tons of feedback, changed a lot, and the final release ended up being a classic game (which the original Beta would never have been).</p><p> </p><p> I'm happy to wait as long as needed to get the best game possible. Especially since 2016 is still a spectacular game which I can play in the meantime.</p>