TEW 2020 Small Questions Thread

A couple of questions that are probably obvious to many who've been playing a while, but I haven't played in a long time and these are confusing me now:

1) Do workers gain popularity from segments? Like for example, if a worker has 50 pop but is in 90 rated segments, does it help their overness?

2) If so, is there still the old rule about a segment needing to be a certain length for it impact popularity?

4 hours ago, justtxyank said:

A couple of questions that are probably obvious to many who've been playing a while, but I haven't played in a long time and these are confusing me now:

1) Do workers gain popularity from segments? Like for example, if a worker has 50 pop but is in 90 rated segments, does it help their overness?

2) If so, is there still the old rule about a segment needing to be a certain length for it impact popularity?

I don't know about lengths but, they can get popularity from being in segments.

When you get offers from workers to put someone over and it's "good for 3 matches and will expire in 5 months" - does the losing worker have something mitigating their popularity loss? Or are they just willing to lose the pop in these matches for the benefit of the company/making a new star?

I have 2 older guys willing to put one of my younger guys over. The younger guy is 24 pop across the US. The two older guys are something like 42 and 44 across the US.

On 1/28/2023 at 11:05 AM, CQI13 said:

When you get offers from workers to put someone over and it's "good for 3 matches and will expire in 5 months" - does the losing worker have something mitigating their popularity loss? Or are they just willing to lose the pop in these matches for the benefit of the company/making a new star?

I have 2 older guys willing to put one of my younger guys over. The younger guy is 24 pop across the US. The two older guys are something like 42 and 44 across the US.

Not unless you use a road agent note like "tainted win" or "keep strong" from what I can tell. Normal popularity loss otherwise.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, CreativeLeader81 said:

When a worker has a new hot catchphrase or a hot new move, is it random when they use the phrase or move again? I think I remember reading Road Agent notes where the phrase or move happened every time, giving  boost.

They'll use it and get the boost in every angle/match for as long as they have the attribute(s).

• Like 1

I got a job booking NYCW in 2027, and their current product is one that penalizes matches under 20 minutes but also wants a whopping 40% of their TV shows to be angles.

How the heck do I book an hour of TV with this product and a roster of mostly old guys with terrible stamina? The AI was somehow running four matches per show (and getting great grades for them), I can barely squeeze in two. I'm getting dinged no matter what I do. Should I just jettison all the bad workers and start over?

Edited by Exeter

49 minutes ago, Exeter said:

I got a job booking NYCW in 2027, and their current product is one that penalizes matches under 20 minutes but also wants a whopping 40% of their TV shows to be angles.

How the heck do I book an hour of TV with this product and a roster of mostly old guys with terrible stamina? The AI was somehow running four matches per show (and getting great grades for them), I can barely squeeze in two. I'm getting dinged no matter what I do. Should I just jettison all the bad workers and start over?

Sounds like the way to go for me, tag team matches should also hidden low stamina.

7 hours ago, Tterrag said:

The thing about the AI is it literally does not play by the rules; it can just give itself whatever cards and segment grades it wants

That's not correct. The segment grades are calculated in the same way as for the players, the only difference being that that things it doesn't have access to (like road agent notes, match times, repetitive booking penalties, morale, etc) are either replaced with 'best guess' values or skipped. While that can result in a difference between player and AI matches in situations where that involves a crucial element (such as stamina issues in NYCW), it's not just "making up a grade".

The overall card grade is also calculated in the exact same way.

On 2/10/2023 at 3:34 PM, Exeter said:

With NYCW (assuming the default product), I think most of your matches don't actually need to be 20 minutes (and probably shouldn't be). I believe that their ratings may be capped if they are less than 20 minutes, but they're not terribly likely to hit that cap anyway (especially since your workers don't sound like they're very good). You would probably be able to get fine ratings putting on four 10-minute matches, for example.

6 hours ago, Thane of Fife said:

With NYCW (assuming the default product), I think most of your matches don't actually need to be 20 minutes (and probably shouldn't be). I believe that their ratings may be capped if they are less than 20 minutes, but they're not terribly likely to hit that cap anyway (especially since your workers don't sound like they're very good). You would probably be able to get fine ratings putting on four 10-minute matches, for example.

Can we get clarification on this point? Because the manual says that for each minute under the product requirement it caps the maximum score by 10 points (100 drops to 90, etc.), but in practice my 18 minute match with a couple 55 rated workers got a 40-something, and the same match at 20 minutes was around 55?

Couple of child company questions.

Is there a way to re-sign someone in my child company direct to that company? I can't find such an option, so they come on to my main roster once signed - which means anyone with a title loses it, the booker has to be re-assigned, etc.

Also, do commentators, referees, road agents etc in the child company affect grades? 

Thanks!

Edited by Donners

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I've done a few searches and couldn't find a concrete answer anywhere.

Does anyone know if there is a reason why worker popularity might be growing faster outside my home region?

My Wales-based promotion has just gone from Small to Medium, so my main eventers' popularity is starting to rise above the previous cap of 52, but while they are going above 52 in the three English regions, they are still stuck at 52 for Scotland, Ireland and, most importantly, the home region of Wales.

image.png.b9b0d9d15efa78cc2f6184ecb0960081.png

I couldn't see any reason for this in the handbook, or as mentioned, in the threads in this forum, so does anyone know why this might be the case? I know the potential fanbase is much smaller, but I thought that only affected attendance and was hoping that wouldn't put a hard cap on the popularity. It will suck if I have to relocate to overcome this.

Thanks!

Need some information.... I opened up my own internet subscription broadcaster and for several weeks it was all going well.... made popularity rise in all game areas as every area is broadcast to medium.

Now all of a sudden even though my shows are in the low 60s and 0 game areas are above 30 in popularity.... every show I get "we gained popularity in 20 regions." I have no idea why. Can someone help, please?

7 hours ago, ElPolloDiablo said:

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I've done a few searches and couldn't find a concrete answer anywhere.

Does anyone know if there is a reason why worker popularity might be growing faster outside my home region?

My Wales-based promotion has just gone from Small to Medium, so my main eventers' popularity is starting to rise above the previous cap of 52, but while they are going above 52 in the three English regions, they are still stuck at 52 for Scotland, Ireland and, most importantly, the home region of Wales.

image.png.b9b0d9d15efa78cc2f6184ecb0960081.png

I couldn't see any reason for this in the handbook, or as mentioned, in the threads in this forum, so does anyone know why this might be the case? I know the potential fanbase is much smaller, but I thought that only affected attendance and was hoping that wouldn't put a hard cap on the popularity. It will suck if I have to relocate to overcome this.

Thanks!

Where are your shows being held (i.e. just in Wales or looping around Britain?) and do you have any broadcasting deals in place?

5 hours ago, 84paradigmshift said:

Need some information.... I opened up my own internet subscription broadcaster and for several weeks it was all going well.... made popularity rise in all game areas as every area is broadcast to medium.

Now all of a sudden even though my shows are in the low 60s and 0 game areas are above 30 in popularity.... every show I get "we gained popularity in 20 regions." I have no idea why. Can someone help, please?

The rate of growth and caps differ depending on the 'home' area, so if you're a Mexican company, for example, then the effects are different in Mexican regions to American regions, and very different from Oceania; from the sounds of it you've just maxed out your foreign gains for the time being.

3 hours ago, Adam Ryland said:

The rate of growth and caps differ depending on the 'home' area, so if you're a Mexican company, for example, then the effects are different in Mexican regions to American regions, and very different from Oceania; from the sounds of it you've just maxed out your foreign gains for the time being.

Seems to be a bug. I lowered broadcasting in the editor to small, now I'm back to gaining popularity in all regions each show.

1 hour ago, 84paradigmshift said:

Seems to be a bug. I lowered broadcasting in the editor to small, now I'm back to gaining popularity in all regions each show.

I think that's very unlikely to be a bug as changing the size wouldn't impact that area of the game; you're far more likely to have just changed the tolerances by lowering the size and are now hitting a target that you weren't previously. I'd suggest that if you're worried about it that you put the size back and, if it continues, send me the save game so that I can check it.