Maybe this new version is just not for me. :0(

<p>I'd love to know precisely how to get people over via angles on TV. Absolutely no one can tell me other than "Well, I've booked angles and gained pop" with no circumstances or info. I could boot up 2016 and book a 2-hour A TV (and note, I said TV NOT Internet since that seems to still be OP) show and know precisely if someone was going to gain pop. Haven't been able to do that once in any game in 7 different mods despite numerous angle grades and good gimmicks on the wrestlers involved. That's not fun in the slightest, and any game that isn't fun can't be good. It just can't.</p><p> </p><p>

And fine, super-realism isn't the right term. Try super-grindy instead. Your top stars are never going to gain pop for months when starting at high-medium with the new caps. Fine, but when your well-known ones can't either in a month via angles, that makes the game an absolute chore. And seeing the patch notes yesterday, he's gone and nerfed 2 more things that make it even more grindy. Again, he's catering to his loud minority that want games grindy as hell where it's only rewarding if you play 2-5 years.</p><p> </p><p>

I want to love 2020. Again, I like about 80% of the changes, but boy that 20% that is fast becoming 25% with the unnecessary nerfs makes it nearly impossible.</p>

<p>You know, in many ways, it's like the opposite of 2016. In 2016, I could get lots of people ridiculously over, but my company would be stuck at one level forever.</p><p> </p><p>

In 2020, it is ridiculously easy to grow your company, but all my roster stagnates in popularity.</p>

I'd love to know precisely how to get people over via angles on TV. Absolutely no one can tell me other than "Well, I've booked angles and gained pop" with no circumstances or info. I could boot up 2016 and book a 2-hour A TV (and note, I said TV NOT Internet since that seems to still be OP) show and know precisely if someone was going to gain pop. Haven't been able to do that once in any game in 7 different mods despite numerous angle grades and good gimmicks on the wrestlers involved. That's not fun in the slightest, and any game that isn't fun can't be good. It just can't.

And fine, super-realism isn't the right term. Try super-grindy instead. Your top stars are never going to gain pop for months when starting at high-medium with the new caps. Fine, but when your well-known ones can't either in a month via angles, that makes the game an absolute chore. And seeing the patch notes yesterday, he's gone and nerfed 2 more things that make it even more grindy. Again, he's catering to his loud minority that want games grindy as hell where it's only rewarding if you play 2-5 years.

I want to love 2020. Again, I like about 80% of the changes, but boy that 20% that is fast becoming 25% with the unnecessary nerfs makes it nearly impossible.

1. Stuff your roster with several guys in the editor with "White Hot" momentum. They have ONE job - "Major Defeat" in angles. Put them in storyline "unaligned" or "side 4", and stick them in, rated on "something" they're not awful at, and "Major Defeat".

Worry about momentum first - when you have momentum, popularity will come by itself.

2. Give EVERYONE a skill that can be rated in angles at about 80+. Fighting requires either Brawling/Puro/Hardcore. Entertainment requires Charisma (but Mic Skills determine how long they can "go"). So, make sure everyone is rated 80 at something if they don't have enough popularity. But even if they're rated 100 in everything, having 70 popularity will contribute to 75 rated angles.

3. Charisma/Star Power, Menace can only go on for 4 minutes. They are worthless and should rarely be used, except in "minor angles". Don't use them. This isn't TEW2016 where you can rate people on Menace or Entertainment and have The Rock or The Undertaker carry a 10-15 minute segment alone. They will NEED someone like Shawn Michaels to "sell, major defeat" in the same storyline while Undertaker gets "major win" and either "entertainment, fighting, selling".

Also - all angles rate on popularity MUCH higher than anything else.

4. "Not enough action in angle". Meaning, you need someone rated on fighting, selling, entertainment - something that "includes action". Also it's better if you can find a way to include folks in the same storyline using "Success" and "Defeat". I like to use a 5 person storyline with 4 "Major Success" and one "Defeat" to get momentum going. Once you have momentum going, popularity is easy. When you're not gaining pop, momentum might be the foul.

You can use a storyline with 5 winners and one loser - as long as they're all in the same storylines, it will work. And if it's a hot angle anyway, you can even stick in a few folks from other storylines to pass them some heat, too.

I have a few other tricks, but I fear saying them would cause them to be "fixed" (nerfed) and I don't want "a hard, competitive game", so saying too much would sabotage myself.

Get momentum up first. Once you have momentum, popularity will come.

Tip: It's only a matter of time before the Voice Of... and Agent Of... attributes are made Mutually Exclusive. Make your road agents with names like RA Hardcore, RA Sleaze, RA Comedy, RA Old School - so you don't forget who's good at what. Do the same with commentators. Colour Epics, Announcer Stories - these are crap names, yes, but they're also perfect names for reminding you which Road Agent and Announce/Color team are to be used for the match aim in question.

It's worth using the editor to give yourself an army of announcers, commentators, and road agents with each specializing in ONE thing. For now, you can make your color/announce/agents have "everything", but I think it will be nerfed, so better to be ready. Also, don't forget to set all your "good" chemistry. You will still have bad performances out of announce/road agents, so don't worry about getting "too much benefit/unbalance" of using 100 ratings on Reputation/Respect/Psychology/Experience.

Also, go into your database, figure out who you want for your rivalries - and set their chemistry to "good". The "Great" setting should probably only be used for situations like JR/King 1996 announce, or Goldberg/Lesnar or something. That said, even if you set everything perfect and great chemistry, there's still Natural Growth limits, and angles rating on Popularity as the most important factor - no matter what.

The best you can do is understand which of your roster are "reliable" for what role in an angle, and that's their "angle job" every week. You want to move everyone who will ever be used in angles toward either Selling, Brawling, or Microphone and Charisma with Star Power 78 or above. Then just rate them the same thing in every angle they ever appear in.

I'd love to know precisely how to get people over via angles on TV. Absolutely no one can tell me other than "Well, I've booked angles and gained pop" with no circumstances or info. I could boot up 2016 and book a 2-hour A TV (and note, I said TV NOT Internet since that seems to still be OP) show and know precisely if someone was going to gain pop. Haven't been able to do that once in any game in 7 different mods despite numerous angle grades and good gimmicks on the wrestlers involved. That's not fun in the slightest, and any game that isn't fun can't be good. It just can't.

People can't tell anything more than that because there is nothing more to tell. Do angles that are rated good and their pop grows as long as they haven't hit their limit. Typically, the higher their momentum the faster this goes. Extremely negative momentum might make it impossible to gain pop, I'm not sure. Also certain attributes and destiny might help/hinder the process. I got Garry the entertainer from 0 pop to about 60 purely on entertainment rated angles. Also, good angles probably won't help anything if a worker constantly loses.

And fine, super-realism isn't the right term. Try super-grindy instead. Your top stars are never going to gain pop for months when starting at high-medium with the new caps. Fine, but when your well-known ones can't either in a month via angles, that makes the game an absolute chore. And seeing the patch notes yesterday, he's gone and nerfed 2 more things that make it even more grindy. Again, he's catering to his loud minority that want games grindy as hell where it's only rewarding if you play 2-5 years.

Never had any problems getting my well knowns more popular if I really wanted them to. The game feels way less grindy to me than 2016. In fact it is the first in the series where I don't feel I have to game the game in any way to succeed. It has a really nice flow to it. I know I won't get everyone over. I concentrate on those I can and don't obsess about those stuck at their level for the time being and try again later. I book angles (and storylines in general) in a way that I think would be cool without doing obviously non working stuff. I don't feel pressure to make every segment/show the best ever. If it helps me in the long run in some way, it's all good.

If you mention the nerfs you should also mention the buffs, there were quite a few. I doubt Adam is catering to a loud minority, since those kinds of changes usually where done because either a lot of people asked for a specific change or someone gave a good reason as to why it should be changed.

Only major issue I have had so far is the feeling that the worker improvement in-game seems like it is way slower than the "storyline" worker development from 2016 to 2020. Maybe the latest patch will remedy that, will have to see.

I know the feeling - I've tried the demo numerous times now with various skins and the updated patches and I just don't like the way it looks, feels or plays. Everything looks so awful and plays so unintuitively. I can't see any kind of graphical updates or QoL updates ever happening either based on the patches so far, so hopefully those aspects of the game are taken more into consideration with the next version.

<p>TEW2020 isn't for me either.</p><p> </p><p>

Sucks, but true.</p><p> </p><p>

I've tried a bunch of times to get into it. Just doesn't feel right to me.</p><p> </p><p>

That's my issue though.</p><p> </p><p>

Clearly everyone else enjoys it. I must be missing something.</p><p> </p><p>

For me though, 2016 is the best version.</p><p> </p><p>

I'll keep trying to get into 2020 when new mods come out. Maybe that's the issue.</p>

<p>I only play historical RW mods and am having one of my all-time favourite games at the moment. This version had a very rocky start but for me it's settled down to a good play. I had to do a lot of work on the converted databases to get it where I wanted it to be but now I'm enjoying it. </p><p> </p><p>

There are a lot of things that annoy me and don't look like getting changed, but for me it's still the best game of this type I can get. Having said that, if you prefer 2016 then best of British luck to you, play what makes you happiest.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="51141" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>1. Stuff your roster with several guys in the editor with "White Hot" momentum. They have ONE job - "Major Defeat" in angles. Put them in storyline "unaligned" or "side 4", and stick them in, rated on "something" they're not awful at, and "Major Defeat".<p> </p><p> Worry about momentum first - when you have momentum, popularity will come by itself.</p><p> </p><p> 2. Give EVERYONE a skill that can be rated in angles at about 80+. Fighting requires either Brawling/Puro/Hardcore. Entertainment requires Charisma (but Mic Skills determine how long they can "go"). So, make sure everyone is rated 80 at something if they don't have enough popularity. But even if they're rated 100 in everything, having 70 popularity will contribute to 75 rated angles.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> 3. Charisma/Star Power, Menace can only go on for 4 minutes. They are worthless and should rarely be used, except in "minor angles". Don't use them. This isn't TEW2016 where you can rate people on Menace or Entertainment and have The Rock or The Undertaker carry a 10-15 minute segment alone. They will NEED someone like Shawn Michaels to "sell, major defeat" in the same storyline while Undertaker gets "major win" and either "entertainment, fighting, selling".</p><p> Also - all angles rate on popularity MUCH higher than anything else.</p><p> </p><p> 4. "Not enough action in angle". Meaning, you need someone rated on fighting, selling, entertainment - something that "includes action". Also it's better if you can find a way to include folks in the same storyline using "Success" and "Defeat". I like to use a 5 person storyline with 4 "Major Success" and one "Defeat" to get momentum going. Once you have momentum going, popularity is easy. When you're not gaining pop, momentum might be the foul.</p><p> </p><p> You can use a storyline with 5 winners and one loser - as long as they're all in the same storylines, it will work. And if it's a hot angle anyway, you can even stick in a few folks from other storylines to pass them some heat, too.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> I have a few other tricks, but I fear saying them would cause them to be "fixed" (nerfed) and I don't want "a hard, competitive game", so saying too much would sabotage myself.</p><p> </p><p> Get momentum up first. Once you have momentum, popularity will come.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> 2 things--1)That's a lot of what I'd term cheating. 2)I never said I had any problems booking good angles (though clearly TC was so if that was for him, good tips). I'm fine on momentum even though I've been using mostly minor success/defeat instead of regular success/defeat as that makes more sense in my head for anything but beatdown angles.</p><p> </p><p> However, with a few days away from the forum due to being really busy, I have come up with a theory to explain all of this.</p><p> </p><p> Adam nerfed angle pop gain early on in the Beta. That's a fact. There was a post about it and everything. The problem is that almost every mod and the CV have easily-obtained PPV or Internet and most people play the biggest companies, and we all know that internet has been broken for forever. That's masking the true lack of pop gain from angles because you're getting it that way. What does it matter if your great angle gives you 0 pop gain when a single match on internet gives you 2 pop? </p><p> </p><p> It's only when you're running pre-internet Small and Medium companies on less than Big TV in mods that have TV as your only option that this issue rears its ugly head. That's when you get the one piece of advice I got in my first thread on this topic of "Oh, TV blows. You are way better off running weekly events." That's a massive hole in the game if that's the case. TV has always been the most important thing to pro wrestling since it was mainstreamed in the 1950s. Followed closely by angles because that's what sold tickets. If the combination of those 2 things aren't right, Adam needs to fix them quickly.</p><p> </p><p> That's why I think this issue hasn't been blown open before. There just aren't that many mods right now that fall into this window to see the issue. I just happen to have a few of them and play a few feds in others that are similar setups. It'd be easier if the AI booker wouldn't book angles only involving wrestlers in matches on TV. I think he went way overboard on nerfing angle pop gain, but he would need to balance out pop gain in other ways. Until then, good luck to anyone making a pre-1990s mod (hey Mammoth and Jaysin! and may explain why SoP is the first mod Genadi is doing).</p>

As a fellow 'old man' (although you make me feel a little younger as I am in my 40s) I have to say I have also fallen out of love with TEW with this new release.

I don't know what it is really. I have posted previously saying the game felt clunky and it does. I just don't feel enthused to play it, even though I know that it is effectively the same objectives and method as TEW 2016 (Which I always loved).

It is a shame because I grew up playing games and TEW is now probably one of the only 3 I regularly find time to dedicate to- I can't see it being one of the three in the future.

I thought perhaps I had just not been in the mood to play originally so I returned to it a couple more times including with the Default database. I just don't enjoy it. Ironically with the introduction of new features intended to increase immersion I feel more conscious that I am playing a game than I ever did with TEW 2016.

57 yr old here....LOVED 2016 version.....but like others here, Im having a hard time liking the 2020 version.......the worst for me is looking up things in the manual....not being in alphabetical order makes finding what Im looking for long and tiresome.

I was so fired up for the new version, but every time I play, I am fired up a little less.....until Im at the point now Im going back to 2016.

People tell me "you cant be afraid of change" Im not afraid of change....but "change" is not always "better"

I personally find this game to be great. I like the added options and more importantly the ability to turn them off. What is best is simply the things you can do from a corporate standpoint. All the companies you can create, broadcasters, etc I just love all that stuff. I really adore the way developmental works now. I feel like not enough praise was devoted to how great that new system is because people got hung up on having to staff the entire company on their own. But its a system that gives much more benefit and much less hassle overall than it did in 2016.

Anyway.

For me there are times when I like booking a really challenging save but in my main save I kick back sandbox style and just see what the game can do. Its like my own little wrestling universe in which I am omnipotent. Love it. And I've made the game very easy on myself in doing so. Being able to directly edit chemistry and basically every stat but hidden destiny values this game is, to me, easier than ever if you want it to be.

So I hope its not sounding trite I genuinely am trying to help. But have you gone into preferences and settings and played around with things to make the game a bit easier for you?

I think changing the company product to no style style in the editor and turning off match aims would basically give you the sandbox you are looking for. You could book Steamboat and Flair for an hour and as long as they are popular enough it'll be a hit. You can book Vader to have a monster squash in as little as 6 minutes and it'll get him over if you do it enough. I feel that particular setting (no style style no match aim) to be the easiest, most free way to book because you can essentially do anything the game lets you do. It may be worth exploring an alternate save with these setting simply to learn new information then apply that to the save youre more emotionally attached to.

TLDR: I had frustrating moments when I was still learning too but I find 2020 genuinely easier and more fun to play sandbox style it just took me time to adjust my strategy to this game. When I did I found enjoyment playing both sim style and sandbox style so If I were you I'd "cheat" every way I could to make the game as easy as possible before I gave up on it.

I have to admit, now that I have given up on 2020, I am loving 2016 more than ever!

It's like going from a TV that is black & white to 4K!

2016 feels really awesome to play.

Like a very warm blanket that feels perfect on a cold winter day.

I haven't stopped working on my mods for 2016 either.