With the game released for a while, what is everyones opinion on the product system?

I'm honestly kinda torn, for one i like the fact that we have several pre set products that are diverse and cater to very wide products, but on the other hand i severely miss being able to make my own product for a custom company that i envisioned, i just feel like there is no specific product that meshes well with me, be it match aims, forced storylines, the 'important match length' stuff... i just miss the customizability, and yes you can turn all that stuff off in the options but it just feels kinda dirty to me.

i hope in the future we can kinda get a middle ground between the 2 systems

I generally enjoy TEW when it feels more like a game than a spreadsheet. There was a lot that was neat about the way products were defined before but from my main perspective it always felt off that you were essentially micromanaging what fans would think of your shows. The new system feels more dynamic to me because there's more of a give and take. You get to provide a general sense of what you're aiming for but then the challenge is in front of you with whatever specifics that entails, both good and bad.

feels more like earning success this go-round rather than just having the best product for money

Good point.

I like this year's version because for years, I had the same exact product with minor adjustments to account for changes from game to game. Traditional, Mainstream, Modern, Lucha Libre - Key Feature, Realism & Daredevil - Medium. It remained "the best" for workrate, sponsorship, and broadcasting. I've tried several products in TEW20 and I've learned that Episodic Lucha Libre is a near-perfect continuation of my old product. Guerrilla Warfare and Fast n' Furious have more cons than pros and everything else is just......no.

Many "casual players" had little clue on how the old product system worked and would just crib products from the annual product thread based on what was described. Or create a thread asking for product advice. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. What I'm saying is, most people weren't experimenting with product combos to see what worked best for them. They were, in essence, doing exactly what TEW20 has simplified: pick a product that sounds like something you'd like to do and run with it.

I'll look at that Episodic Lucha...

I think right now I have it as "Classic Balanced" just because...I couldn't find anything that really grabbed me (and not a fan of high injury risk products). Gives me enough freedom in that the only requirement is one "Storytelling" match, whereas the rest seem to require a lot of different match aims. Maybe when I'm more comfortable withe the mechanics.

There are pros and cons to every wrestling promotion in real life. At Mania a lot of people loved The Boneyard match and a lot of people didn't, simply because it was a cinematic mach. That's a real life penalty. So having that ingrained into the system for this game now is pretty cool and makes you book more well rounded and less concerned with the best angle possible and more concerned with many other little details that make the whole show good.

I used to play an ECW promos mixed with NJPW match quality type of product in 2016 but there is nothing like that in 2020 so I find myself playing No-Style just because it's the closest thing to what I used to play.

I also used to play with 70% Match Intensity and 60% Match Danger and was running weekly shows and I wasn't getting all that many injuries either. I feel that product wise, I'm playing a watered version of the promotion I really want to run. Whatever though, No-Style works for me just as well, my audience doesn't care what I throw at them and it's 75/25 matches to angles so this works A-OK for me.

I used to play an ECW promos mixed with NJPW match quality type of product in 2016 but there is nothing like that in 2020 so I find myself playing No-Style just because it's the closest thing to what I used to play.

I also used to play with 70% Match Intensity and 60% Match Danger and was running weekly shows and I wasn't getting all that many injuries either. I feel that product wise, I'm playing a watered version of the promotion I really want to run. Whatever though, No-Style works for me just as well, my audience doesn't care what I throw at them and it's 75/25 matches to angles so this works A-OK for me.

I have no style style. Works for me. Too. Not a big deal.

I like the TEW 2020 system far better than the old system. For my own promotion it was nice to have some of the fine detail of 2016, but when adding AI companies to a database, it was more work than I wanted to do. Now I can easily make sure I have a good mix of different products around the world. I also like the ability to transition from one to the other and see the changes to the product happening as you do over time.

Personally I like it. I used to just stick to the same basic performance over pop product I knew worked and didn't really move outside of that. Now, I'm jumping around to different products and having a good time doing it. A lot of them are similar, but there's plenty of different ones available.

<p>I like it. </p><p> </p><p>

I never knew what I was doing with the old system. Felt abstract and fiddly. When I wanted to customise a product I wanted to fine tune the settings for pop vs perf, sponsorship, what match aims could be used, etc. But to do that I had to tweak a bunch of abstract labels that meant very little to me. I don't know if "Traditional" or "Lucha" or "Comedy" did anything other than affect the visible settings, and I never really cared. </p><p> </p><p>

I don't think the product system is perfect, but it's taken a lot of the boring work out of starting a new game away for me.</p>

<p>I think it's far too rigid, a lot of them are set up inaccurately or in ways that don't make a whole lot of sense and it's super annoying having a product that ticks 9 important boxes for accuracy but falls flat on its face on the 10th and being unable to fix it myself. </p><p> </p><p>

One big pro is how much information it gives you compared to 2016, but while that game's product system was bad too, at least it wasn't so boxed in. It's also pretty annoying to know that it had to happen for the AI to be improved but to then actually play the game and see that the AI is basically as braindead as it ever was.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="LloydCross" data-cite="LloydCross" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="51483" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I generally enjoy TEW when it feels more like a game than a spreadsheet. There was a lot that was neat about the way products were defined before but from my main perspective it always felt off that you were essentially micromanaging what fans would think of your shows. The new system feels more dynamic to me because there's more of a give and take. You get to provide a general sense of what you're aiming for but then the challenge is in front of you with whatever specifics that entails, both good and bad.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I feel the exact opposite. I felt that under the older system, I was playing a game, managing my roster, managing my company, and selecting a product that is conducive to my play style. The current products offer me very little, the only way any of them work is if I turn off half the options, which feels plain dirty - I should be allowed to decide for myself what angle-match length I want and shouldn't be pigeonholed into Match Aims that I dislike as "part of the compromise", or just turn it off to avoid the penalty for not booking the matches I don't want.</p><p> </p><p> This new system - to me, just feels like a spreadsheet manager. Your product gives you a specific formula of match aims, angle/match ratio AND lengths - at some point, you're really just running the same show every week with switched up match positions and competitors. It used to be that my focus was having fun and putting on good shows. Now my focus is lining up match aims with capable workers, and the Work/Fun balance has skewed much more toward work.</p><p> </p><p> I shouldn't have to disable 1/4 of the options just to make a product "less unappealing". I also knew up front that our suggestion products would NEVER be put in. Because we have to prove the value to the dev, and argue with other players about realism and balance. In the old system, you didn't have to validate your fun through others like this. </p><p> </p><p> So, I hope TEW2024 goes back to the old system, or just has a "Product Creator" in the editor.</p>

I feel the exact opposite. I felt that under the older system, I was playing a game, managing my roster, managing my company, and selecting a product that is conducive to my play style. The current products offer me very little, the only way any of them work is if I turn off half the options, which feels plain dirty - I should be allowed to decide for myself what angle-match length I want and shouldn't be pigeonholed into Match Aims that I dislike as "part of the compromise", or just turn it off to avoid the penalty for not booking the matches I don't want.

I understand what you're saying, but imagine if I were playing 2003 CZW and I decided to run a bunch of promos and had only one or two matches, the CZW audience definitely would not be okay with that.

I still feel like I did when the game first launched, it's more clear and makes it easier or I guess quicker to find what you're looking for. Since I got into TEW 16 incredibly later than most people on here I was still having to sit and try different combinations to work with what I was looking for. With the new way it's all pretty direct. I've settled on No Style but I was curious enough about some of the others to try them out and see how they worked. I kind of run a mixed bag of styles though so no style just works best.