What is your philosophy/strategy with booking your IC/US/secondary title?

How do you like to book your second highest singles title?

Do you have any restrictions on who you are willing to allow win the title?

How high up the roster typically is your champion? Top 5? Top 10? Top 15? #2?

Do you do something atypical with the title?

<p>I'll get started with my own replies:</p><p> </p><p>

1) I typically don't allow former world champions in my company to compete for the secondary title. It's for people who haven't won the World Title yet or ever.</p><p> </p><p>

2) Champion is usually Top 10 but not Top 5. This is unlike WWF at some points who will put their IC Title on a #2 or #3 guy.</p><p> </p><p>

3) I use the IC Title as a barometer for when I am ready to move someone up or down. Specifically down: if Cowboy Bob Orton is in the IC Title division and I've decided that I don't want him to be World Champion but he has become stale in the IC Title division, it's time to team him up with a young and upcoming talent like Steve Austin in the Tag division. In other words, the IC Title helps decide who gets promoted or demoted.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="xXSegemoXx" data-cite="xXSegemoXx" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="53479" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I position it similar to the IC title in mid-90s.<p> </p><p> I give it to someone to have great matches and prime them for a World Title run.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I tend to book it like the IC Title in the early to mid-80's. I put it on someone who is good, just maybe not World Championship material. Someone like Tito Santana or Greg Valentine. Obviously Randy Savage doesn't apply to this. So a good worker who is a midcard talent, who will probably not become World Champion. </p><p> </p><p> Though I don't always stick to this rule, I sometimes do it the way <strong>Segemo</strong> does it. But for the most part that is what I use the title for.</p>

If I have a TV title, I use my secondary title for people who I don't want to hit the Main Event scene, but is going to win a lot. I find people who hold secondary titles tend to get very popular very quickly (mostly because a long reign means a lot of PPV wins) so I have a tough time using it as a stepping stone for guys since after 6 months they are ready for a main event feud.

If I don't have a TV title I basically make it a TV title: something considered less prestigious, but is an excuse to get lower card guys who can work but can't speak a lot of wins.

How do you like to book your second highest singles title?

Do you have any restrictions on who you are willing to allow win the title?

How high up the roster typically is your champion? Top 5? Top 10? Top 15? #2?

Do you do something atypical with the title?

Very few restrictions on my end, a secondary belt is either a test bed for a future champion and/or a story concept. It's a much more flexible belt to use on my roster than the World title.

I think my main rule is, "keep your prestige for the secondary belts under that of your primary belts".

Since things are so flexible, I consider almost anyone eligible for the secondary belts.

Here's some ideas I used in previous saves for secondary belts:

- Had a heel that could win the IC title, but just couldn't win the World title. So they'd vacate the IC for the World, lose the world title shot, return to win the IC title, defend it long enough, and vacate to go for Worlds all over again. Rinse, wash, repeat. I did it 8 times to Lion Genji in a cverse save.

- Had a World Champion become mega-dominant. So his stable would set out on a successful campaign to win all the belts in the federation, and the crowning moment was their leader unifying the IC belt into the World belt. Pretty much needed that for a "prestige reset" to recreate new World and IC belt scenes. It's a variation of the "belt collector" concept that Omega and Lashley had done.

- I created a new secondary title by unifying a series of regional titles. Had the Mexican, Canadian, US West Coast, and US East Coast champions in an eliminator to determine the North American Champion. Had the North American Champion face the South American Champion, then the European, then the Pacific, and finally European Champion, and the winner was crowned with the new Intercontinental belt.

- Wahoo McDaniel is awesome, but normally he doesn't fit into the world title scene unless you really want him as your champion. Since he doesn't like losing I've given him the WWWF US championship as "Wahoo's belt". That way I don't have to risk him and he's still a reputable (and happy) champion on my roster.

Anyways, hope that helps your booking ideas...had booking block recently, that stinks.

I hate secondary titles, when that's all they are. If a title has value, then everyone should want it. And if everyone wants it, the top fighters should be competing for it. I've never liked the Intercontinental/United States belts for that reason. It's never been explained/consistent as to why the top guys don't think it's worth their time. So why should I care about it?

I like secondary titles with clear rules and limitations. Weight classes. Age limits. Genders. Specific match types. Only available in certain locations. Or available to certain nationalities. The workers competing for these belts tend to be lower down the card, but if a Rey Mysterio comes along, why wouldn't I push it to the top? I already treat my tag belts like that, alternating between headliners and rookies as the right wrestlers appear.

I have a 'Television' title in my current game (CGC 1997) and I've just about managed to justify it to myself. Every episode of Title Bout Wrestling needs a title bout (hence the name) so each belt is defended every 3 episodes. You could hold multiple belts, but that's very taxing, particularly when episodes are shot two-at-a-time. The World Title gets more prize money, so that's what main players focus on. It's probably the same logic the real companies use, but I need to make it rigid and definite in my head.

I'll probably ditch the belt soon. I just need a good replacement idea.

I hate secondary titles, when that's all they are. If a title has value, then everyone should want it. And if everyone wants it, the top fighters should be competing for it. I've never liked the Intercontinental/United States belts for that reason. It's never been explained/consistent as to why the top guys don't think it's worth their time. So why should I care about it?

I like secondary titles with clear rules and limitations. Weight classes. Age limits. Genders. Specific match types. Only available in certain locations. Or available to certain nationalities. The workers competing for these belts tend to be lower down the card, but if a Rey Mysterio comes along, why wouldn't I push it to the top? I already treat my tag belts like that, alternating between headliners and rookies as the right wrestlers appear.

I have a 'Television' title in my current game (CGC 1997) and I've just about managed to justify it to myself. Every episode of Title Bout Wrestling needs a title bout (hence the name) so each belt is defended every 3 episodes. You could hold multiple belts, but that's very taxing, particularly when episodes are shot two-at-a-time. The World Title gets more prize money, so that's what main players focus on. It's probably the same logic the real companies use, but I need to make it rigid and definite in my head.

I'll probably ditch the belt soon. I just need a good replacement idea.

The Crown Royal, a title only defended in Battle Royals. If you successfully defend the title x amount of times, you get a title shot for another belt of your choosing?

Here is my breakdown

World Heavyweight - Best of the best fight for it. If you make it all the way, lose the belt, you will either remain in the main event picture with frequent vacations or I will release you. I don't send you down the card.

IC/US Level - I use this the same way as the late 80s WWF. If you won this belt, you are on a trajectory (or stay in the IC division)

TV/Commenwealth - This is the stepping stone for youngsters. Often dominated by old school talent that drops it to upcoming youngsters.

Tag Team - Everyone is involved. Usually mid to low talent BUT sometimes I have main event talent involved (usually they are former champions who broke up but joined back together).

Basically, you move up the card no matter what. Eventually you will be cut.

Don't have one.

Titles are for stars, if it can't feasibly main event a major show, if a star would seem lessened by hold it, I don't have a use for it.

I actually think this approach is very beneficial to making stars, which in turn allows you to have more titles (but I'd never have more than five). Since the best way to make a talent seem like a star is to keep them as far away as possible from other stars, so that when the time is right, and the two stars do meet, it feels like a big deal. You've been waiting for it, you can't imagine either losing. Having those two stars in different divisions, which are treated as equal, is a perfect way to accomplish that.

Would you rather have a cheeseburger from McdDonalds (secondary title), or a burger from a high end restaurant (primary title)? You're going to want the restaurant burger, ofcourse. But only rich people (main eventers) can afford a fifty dollar burger, everyone else (non main eventers) are going to have to settle for McDonalds.

They are for people between a certain overness level if I’m a national company it’s around 60 - 72. If they can get over that barrier they go for the top title, if not others are given a shot, I usually have a ranking system for faces and heels on excel to keep on top of things.

If they are popular enough they can go for it

In my OLLIE game on 2016 (i know its a 2020 board, but still, my philosophy applies to TEW in general), i use the mexico title both as a workhorse title and to prepare up and coming stars to the main event, with those ready achieving the 10 title defenses necessary to receive a shot at the universal title. So far, only Extraordinario Jr. Achieved the feat, with El Mitico Jr. Soon getting the belt at the end of his feud with Chess Maniac, eventually reaching the 10 title defenses as his pop is getting close to main event level.

Would you rather have a cheeseburger from McdDonalds (secondary title), or a burger from a high end restaurant (primary title)? You're going to want the restaurant burger, ofcourse. But only rich people (main eventers) can afford a fifty dollar burger, everyone else (non main eventers) are going to have to settle for McDonalds.

Why wouldn't Triple H want both burgers? He can afford the fancy one, so why not the crappy one too?

I may have to replace my TV title with the McDonalds Cheeseburger Title. Free Cheeseburgers for whoever holds it! That way no main eventer, who needs to carefully watch his diet, would ever want it. While sloppier talents and kids with super-powered metabolisms would be all about it. This started as a joke, but I actually love this idea.

Food is valued by taste and/or nutritional value, but why is one title better than the other? Abstract concepts like 'prestige' don't do it for me. I just prefer a UFC style set up, where each belt means something unique and real that is communicated to the viewer.

I tend to book my IC/US titles following a simple formula: most people can challenge for them, but only a select few get to win them. While not as exclusive as my world titles, they are pretty exclusive: if everybody can win them, what's the point? My secondary champions are usually ranked somewhere between #2 and #5 on the roster. The main differences between an IC title and a WWE title for example is that you can put IC title matches on free TV more often. They make for great TV main event matches too!

<p>World Title: Usually held by 3-4 consistent guys. With the rare one-off / transitional reign. Number can fluctuate depending on how elite/over the main event scene is.</p><p> </p><p>

"IC Title": Upper Midcard/Main Event talent that are either not chasing the belt for the foreseeable future, or will never have it. Always sort of did it like NJPW. </p><p> </p><p>

"US Title": Often used for veterans who are not on steep decline yet (or not over enough for anything else), or younger talents first title (or three). Good way to see how over they can get with a title.</p>

<p>I use secondary belts to primarily get midcarders to upper-midcard position (well known to star). When you think he or she is ready to carry TV main events, the person drops the title to the next guy while made to look strong, and he is free to mingle with stars of the show (Major stars/stars). </p><p> </p><p>

If the roster is not big enough for usual titles, I try to have a TV title in non-touring promotions. A bright young prospect who has just become recognizable has it, mostly, fighting other lower carders. You perform well enough, you get a proper feud and a real push.</p>

<p>I only play the game as WCW or TNA...</p><p> </p><p>

World title - Guys with 80-100 popularity or if I'm starting off TNA from scratch... Main eventers with 60+ popularity.</p><p> </p><p>

United States (wcw) - Main eventers who either have never been World champs or are not popular enough to be a world champion.</p><p> </p><p>

NWA National / TNA Television - Same as above but willing to go into Upper Mid Card territory.</p>

Midcard-belts are for young up-and-comers I am actively pushing, or main-eventers who need a rehab run. I usually alternate to get the belts prestige as high as possible to give the guys who win it more of a rub.

TV titles are for work-rate guys who will have the best match on the TV program, usually. Vets who I want to work on TV with young guys. That sort of thing. Defended every show, if I can help it.

Tag Teams are booked as upper-card attractions just under the singles title

Women's belts float, and rely entirely on what I have, and the grades they can pull. I've had them be good enough to main-event. I've had them curtain jerk.

Gimmick belts are gimmick belts. They are usually given comedy slots on my card.

Midcard-belts are for young up-and-comers I am actively pushing, or main-eventers who need a rehab run. I usually alternate to get the belts prestige as high as possible to give the guys who win it more of a rub.

This is what I was going to say. I don't understand people who hate secondary titles or think they're worthless. Most storylines for the world title are going to be between two top guys. Ideally, your company is going to have a lot more then two main eventers on the roster so you need secondary belts to give them something to do.

Right now in my TCW save, Jay Chord has the world title while Ernest Youngman and Aaron Andrews are feuding for the TV title (which has essentially become the intercontinental title in my TCW.)

I may have to replace my TV title with the McDonalds Cheeseburger Title. Free Cheeseburgers for whoever holds it! That way no main eventer, who needs to carefully watch his diet, would ever want it. While sloppier talents and kids with super-powered metabolisms would be all about it. This started as a joke, but I actually love this idea.

Food is valued by taste and/or nutritional value, but why is one title better than the other? Abstract concepts like 'prestige' don't do it for me. I just prefer a UFC style set up, where each belt means something unique and real that is communicated to the viewer.

This would be great for a Morality Wrestling promotion lol. The nutritious faces are trying to take it away from the glutenous heels in order to force McDonald's to offer more healthy items on their menu while the heels want to keep pushing fast food.

I know my burger analogy was bad, but I couldn't think of anything else where you have two of the same thing but one is better, but if I were Triple H I probably wouldn't remember what fast food tastes like, that dude is eating things we can't pronounce, he's not going to eat dollar menu burgers when he can afford four star restaurants on the daily. Other guys who are not Triple H, they do have to eat McDonald's. Not that they wouldn't if they didn't have to, but they have to settle with McDonald's. I'm still trying to compare the fifty dollar burger and McDonald's to title prestige in this sense.

This is what I was going to say. I don't understand people who hate secondary titles or think they're worthless. Most storylines for the world title are going to be between two top guys. Ideally, your company is going to have a lot more then two main eventers on the roster so you need secondary belts to give them something to do.

Well, I don't think they're worthless as such, but what exactly are you champion of? The midcard? Yippee. For me, a secondary belt needs to have a purpose, something to achieve. Cruiserweight champ, heavyweight champ, king of cage matches, hardcore champion, whatever. Just not to give someone something to do. Everyone in the company should want to be the top champion, or tag champs or trios if that's their division, so working towards that, with some personal feuds and grudge matches along the way, should be enough for people to do. No wrestler (in kayfabe) should ever aspire to be champion of the midcard.

Here's some ideas I used in previous saves for secondary belts:

- Had a heel that could win the IC title, but just couldn't win the World title. So they'd vacate the IC for the World, lose the world title shot, return to win the IC title, defend it long enough, and vacate to go for Worlds all over again. Rinse, wash, repeat. I did it 8 times to Lion Genji in a cverse save.

That is great. I did something similar in a USPW save back in 2010. They had just unretired the National title for the sole purpose of giving it to Peter Valentine, so I made the most of that by having him beat jobbers every single week until he was on the verge of breaking the record for longest National title reign and promising a big celebration when he did so, only for him to lose the title a week or two before. Then whoever beat him(usually Darryl Devine, who had the record he was trying to break) would merge it with the TV title and retire it, only for Valentine to bring it back again and repeat the process.

This would be great for a Morality Wrestling promotion lol. The nutritious faces are trying to take it away from the glutenous heels in order to force McDonald's to offer more healthy items on their menu while the heels want to keep pushing fast food.

Not a bad idea at all. It could work in any entertainment based promotion, and you could have either side being the face or heel with some minor tweaks. Kinda surprised the WWE hasn’t already done something like this…they would DEFINITELY make the nutritious side the heels.

Well, I don't think they're worthless as such, but what exactly are you champion of? The midcard? Yippee. For me, a secondary belt needs to have a purpose, something to achieve. Cruiserweight champ, heavyweight champ, king of cage matches, hardcore champion, whatever. Just not to give someone something to do. Everyone in the company should want to be the top champion, or tag champs or trios if that's their division, so working towards that, with some personal feuds and grudge matches along the way, should be enough for people to do. No wrestler (in kayfabe) should ever aspire to be champion of the midcard.

No, YOU would want to be the top champion and YOU wouldn’t aspire to be champion of the midcard, and that’s fine. But the world is a very diverse place, pro wrestling included, and people have a wide variety of aspirations. There’s lots of MMA fighters and boxers that care more about, say, entertaining their fans than winning a belt. Or fighting as often as possible. Or using their platform to spread a message. Nate Diaz and Jorge Masvidal once fought for the BMF title.

Not to mention, the two most common uses for midcard titles mentioned here - youngsters who are on their way to the world title and career midcarders who probably won’t ever quite get there - both cover why someone would want to win the midcard title in their very description. Why wouldn’t somebody who aspires to be world champion want to win the midcard title as a stepping stone on their way up? Especially if that’s how it’s been used in the past and there’s a precedent. And why wouldn’t somebody who can’t win the world title go after a title that they can win? It’s more money, it’s guaranteed TV time. Maybe they don’t even want to deal with the pressure of being in the main event, or the media obligations that come with being the world champion, or having the target on their back with everybody gunning for them.

Forget the hamburger thing, this is like somebody saying there should be no assistant coaches because everybody should only want to be a head coach. There should be no backups because everybody should want to be a starter. There should be no mom and pop corner stores because everybody should want to be an international chain store. There should be no employees because everybody should want to be the owner. There should be no Vice President because everybody should want to be President.

If you’re running a promotion that treats wrestling like a legitimate sport, I kinda get it. If that’s the gimmick you want to go with, there’s only one title and that’s all that matters, cool, you do you. But the idea that nobody else should think differently is just silly.