The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

Sheamus lost to Goldust. He's not unbeaten.

On Superstars four months ago. Pretty sure he lost a match or two in his career. The point is, he hasn't lost to any of the big names on Raw, whereas Miz, Legacy, and even Swagger had been on the roster long enough to lose matches to everyone from Kofi Kingston to MVP to Evan Bourne.

Not only is he not unbeaten, but his "push" was a win over Jamie Noble, some angles where he beat up staff members, a fluke battle royal win, and a couple of brawls with Cena on Raw.

New or not, he has not been written to be presented in any way shape or from that I should be impressed by him.

Whether or not putting the title on him is a good idea will depend on the follow up, but considering he was basically absent during a three hour episode of Raw, I'm still not impressed.

WWE could have used a big celebration angle to put him over, then had him wrestle a 10 minute match and beat a big name clean...or pin Cena in a tag match slobberknocker...man, anything ouldve been better than "win a slammy then come out at the end of Raw and wave your arms around"

:rolleyes:

On Superstars four months ago. Pretty sure he lost a match or two in his career. The point is, he hasn't lost to any of the big names on Raw, whereas Miz, Legacy, and even Swagger had been on the roster long enough to lose matches to everyone from Kofi Kingston to MVP to Evan Bourne.

He hasn't really faced any big names either. That's sort of part of the problem.

Not only is he not unbeaten, but his "push" was a win over Jamie Noble, some angles where he beat up staff members, a fluke battle royal win, and a couple of brawls with Cena on Raw.

New or not, he has not been written to be presented in any way shape or from that I should be impressed by him.

Whether or not putting the title on him is a good idea will depend on the follow up, but considering he was basically absent during a three hour episode of Raw, I'm still not impressed.

WWE could have used a big celebration angle to put him over, then had him wrestle a 10 minute match and beat a big name clean...or pin Cena in a tag match slobberknocker...man, anything ouldve been better than "win a slammy then come out at the end of Raw and wave your arms around"

:rolleyes:

He also feuded with Shelton on ECW.

He hasn't really faced any big names either. That's sort of part of the problem.

I don't see why it matters too much. Jesse came to RAW a few weeks back, said he was sick of the same old faces getting title shots. So, of course somebody new was going to be threw into the title picture, and in this instance, it was Sheamus.

The way I see it, they've made him a credible threat now. He's put Cena through a table on RAW. How many other people have done that? Then, at the PPV he did it again, only this time the title was on the line. Now, he's the WWE Champion, a main-eventer and a credible threat to the likes of Cena.

Job done, WWE.

This reminds me of the "Brock Lesnar shouldn't have gotten a title shot so soon" argument with UFC. It doesn't matter if he hadn't been there long enough to deserve a shot, the point is he BEAT THE CHAMPION. He proved himself to be the better fighter. That's should be impressive enough.

Not saying it's a good business move, or that it'll help buy-rates, but the story makes sense to me.

I don't remember the loss to Goldust, but then I only watch the occasional episode of Superstars... which is probably more than most people. ;)

The way I see it, they've made him a credible threat now.

I don't see it that way. And based on the crowd response, I think it's still iffy that most other people agree with you.

This reminds me of the "Brock Lesnar shouldn't have gotten a title shot so soon" argument with UFC. It doesn't matter if he hadn't been there long enough to deserve a shot, the point is he BEAT THE CHAMPION. He proved himself to be the better fighter. That's should be impressive enough.

One's a sport. One's a work.

In the WWE perception IS everything. In the UFC, it's scoreboard.

If you don't get people to believe in Sheamus, you run into problems if you stick him at the top of a PPV.

I said it before: if he's handled correctly, it's fine. So far...not so much.

I don't see it that way. And based on the crowd response, I think it's still iffy that most other people agree with you.

Fair enough but I still don't fully comprehend how it can be perceived any other way.

He destroyed Jamie Noble, kicked the crap outta Lawler, put Cena through a table and put Mark Cuban through a table. On top of this, he's got a pretty unique and menacing look about him. Lastly, he beat Cena and won the WWE title. So, why do people still think he's not a credible threat? Maybe I'm just being ignorant towards other people opinions? Don't know, but I definitely buy into him as a credible threat. My only gripe is how little time he got on the most recent RAW. They should've capatilized on his big at TLC, gave him a match and have him dominate.

One's a sport. One's a work.

Yes, but it's a work pretending to be a real sport. On some level surely it should try to mirror what real sports are like. In real sports, sometimes you get rookie sensations who come out of nowhere and are instantly awesome.

Like Wayne Rooney. Sheamus is the Wayne Rooney of WWE.

Fair enough but I still don't fully comprehend how it can be perceived any other way.

He destroyed Jamie Noble, kicked the crap outta Lawler, put Cena through a table and put Mark Cuban through a table.

Three of the people you named are totally meaningless from a "worker" standpoint.

My only gripe is how little time he got on the most recent RAW. They should've capatilized on his big at TLC, gave him a match and have him dominate.

That's the exact same thing I said a few posts back.

Based on reactions alone I'd say they're doing fine.

Monday's Raw was the first time I heard him get any heat. The shows prior to TLC he got basically nothing. Even after the Cuban segment. So...we'll see.

Like Wayne Rooney. Sheamus is the Wayne Rooney of WWE

And I'm sure that'd be a great reference if anyone in the American audience had any clue who that is. :p;)

And of course, when he's not ME at the next PPV, people will complain that the belt should be featured as the ME. There's always something. Like what happened with Punk and his match with Taker.

The WWE treated Benoit's run and Mysterio's run the same way. And both workers were actually less over once those runs ended

TNA even did this with Christian Cage..he was the champion but he was an afterthought on TV to the Sting/JJ feud.

If they want Sheamus to become a main eventer, one that actually sticks, then he needs to be treated as a main eventer while he has the belt.

I never enjoyed Benoit or Mysterio's work (talented...yes; entertaining to me...no). Benoit was insufferable on the mic from what I remember. I can't really comment on Sheamus, since I've never seen him work (ring or mic), and I haven't seen a full episode of WWE since Jericho's return (even less of TNA).

If he's not pushed, they are devaluing the belt or not making him credible. If he main events a PPV, some people won't like that either.

As for the Rooney comparison, you might be surprised by the number of people who know of him here in the US. But fine, substitute Tim Lincecum or LeBron James and people should get the idea (even if that is probably far overstating his talent).

The WWE treated Benoit's run and Mysterio's run the same way. And both workers were actually less over once those runs ended

TNA even did this with Christian Cage..he was the champion but he was an afterthought on TV to the Sting/JJ feud.

If they want Sheamus to become a main eventer, one that actually sticks, then he needs to be treated as a main eventer while he has the belt.

Uh, what? How is Sheamus similar to Benoit and Mysterio, and not, say.... CM Punk? Remember how he won the title, main evented zero pay per views, but came away looking like a legit main eventer anyway? Mysterio and Benoit both had other problems, namely they didn't look like champions and couldn't cut promos.

Uh, what? How is Sheamus similar to Benoit and Mysterio, and not, say.... CM Punk? Remember how he won the title, main evented zero pay per views, but came away looking like a legit main eventer anyway?

CM Punk? The guy feuding with R-Truth right now? In what way is he a legitimate Main Eventer? Undertaker tombstone'd him back to the midcard for not wearing a suit. Besides, I'm pretty sure he and Jeff went on last at least once.

EDIT: Ugh. This is an overstatement. Don't take it too seriously.

Actually I don't think he's in the doghouse (that was me playing the whiny smark card). I'm more inclined to believe it's luck-of-the-draw. WWE wanted to do Undertaker vs Batista, which left CM Punk out in the cold for a while. Maybe he's a little in the doghouse, but I doubt they're that petty.

I just remember folks on here defending the Undertaker winning the belt by saying "... Punk will get the rub when he wins the belt back." Well where's Punk's rub, dudes? Where is it? He's back to where he was last year, except heel and with a bit more time on the microphone.. so I guess he has moved up a little. Not as high as he was with Jeff, but not too shabby. Ye Oldetaker didn't kill him completely.

... /giggle

CM Punk is a great example of how smarks think they know the full extent of the business yet have as little information as any other fan. Right now you can believe the reports that CM Punk is in a "doghouse" over a supposed attire incident or you can believe the reports that the WWE are trying to get R-Truth into the main event by feuding him with Punk. It can be logically argued either way but the bottom line no one can say for sure.

I've just finished reading Mick Foley's first book and I am starting on his second one (and yes, I am behind the times :rolleyes: ). Anyways, on to my point. After reading his book I've realised that the majority of things that us smarks think is going on backstage are usually 80% not true, 15% over exaggerated, and 5% true (and no, Mr. Foley didn't say any of that in his book, it is my own opinion). And seriously, Punk being in the doghouse for not wearing a suit? That doesn't even sound like fact IMO. Wrestlers have NEVER worn fancy suits around everywhere! As a matter of fact, the only place that I've every seen wrestlers dressed up nice was at the HOF ceremonies and at angles! Just my two cents.....that don't mean crap! :p