The C-Verse Re-render Project

Don't you think it's a little harsh saying they are ugly? Someone (not me) put a lot of time and effort into doing them so all the new characters would have renders.

maybe a better term could have been "less polished"? ;)

they do lack the feel of the rest of the renders though.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sometimes I think I Love Jennie, lol.

On one hand, I like Seb's render style a lot, so I can't say I agree with her.

But I always feel like taking it easy on her when I disagree because she looks like my physics teacher.

Since we are rerendering I'm going to renew my request from the alts thread. Rob Reynolds. I hate that picture with a passion beyond knowing. He looks like a glowing wax doll.

This isn't a guy I agree with a lot but he is right, Rob Reynolds looks like a glowing wax doll. LOL :p

On one hand, I like Seb's render style a lot, so I can't say I agree with her.

But I always feel like taking it easy on her when I disagree because she looks like my physics teacher.

Seb's style is good and it would be even better if it had complimenting renders but the differences is too much with the rest of the world. Maybe get him and others who use his style to do new renders for the rest of the world and everyone could choose a style they like.

Don't you think it's a little harsh saying they are ugly? Someone (not me) put a lot of time and effort into doing them so all the new characters would have renders.

It's not harsh, it's descriptive - an awful lot of them have inhuman angles in the faces that look like they crossed ComradeBot and were beaten to death by shovel-wielding members of the Russian Mafia.

I find the the oz-style renders unplayable, which is unfortunate cos I'm from there and would no doubt enjoy playing those feds. focussing on those as characters for re-renders would prove popular, but ultimately its up the altmakers.

either way, great thread and renders!

It's not harsh, it's descriptive - an awful lot of them have inhuman angles in the faces that look like they crossed ComradeBot and were beaten to death by shovel-wielding members of the Russian Mafia.

Seeing as how I personally like those renders, I'll go out on a limb and say it wasn't me or any friend that I... don't... have in the mafiya that did anything with shovels.

Yup, didn't do anything.

As far as this project goes... well, good luck with it. Personally I really, really like most of the C-Verse renders and have grown far too attached to them to ever use anything else for a lot of the workers. The fact that many are in different styles, if anything, I feel adds character to the database. I don't like everyone standing the same way looking straight at the camera.

That, and I challenge ANYONE to legitimately top the awesome render for The Idaho Punisher. It's awesome.

Still, I can see the value of this: there are folks out there that, if nothing else, need better renders still. The United Nations strike me as a duo that could use a makeover...

I don't see a huge need to re-render the C-verse either. Most of the current pictures are great. I only did the BSC gals for a potential diary project (still might come about, but not holding my breath) where I'd need full body images for each character. Persephone was a request. Red Dragon just... Well, he definitely needed a new render.

I love most of the 'original' M2 stuff. The DeColts for example. They can be a little same-y but it's a style I've always dug. Not that I haven't been tempted to re-render Canada's greatest wrestling family in the past... I think I did Steve in my diary actually... Possibly Blonde Bombshell too... and Jeremy Stone... Man, I gotta track some of this down. I rarely delete my work, but I do cram it between the digital couch-cushions when I'm done with it.

No. It was harsh. If you had left the "ugly" comment out then yes your comment would have been "descriptive".

I totally agree that there isn't a need per se for new renders, just as there isn't a need for alts. It's a nice new coat of paint on workers we've used for 5 years. Plus thanks to the advancements in the software we can make an A* menace guy look like an A* menace guy or an A star quality guy look more like a star.

Oh, and let's not use the word ugly in this thread. I won't let people sit and discredit other people's hard work. Have some respect.

For the record, some of the posted renders have been used elsewhere. Like, jtlant's Christina Charisma was turned into....Selina Svelte, I think? So I got Clarity to make me another. :p

And for some reason, I thought Adam had taken jtlant's Persephone which was why I asked Self to try her. I would've used jtlant's for Delirante otherwise. :(

I will say one thing though. These guys know how to nail re-renders. I told jtlant what I had in mind for Olivia Diamond and he knocked it out of the park. Clarity should post his J.Ro I stole...err, used and Self's Tamara McFly might actually have me using her now. :p And Self's Persephone made my jaw drop when I first saw it (likewise with jtlant's Yukiko).

Yeah the term "ugly" is uncalled for. It there is nothing helpful about calling someone's hard work and time ugly. You can say you don't care for it, its not your style, etc but to call somebody's work that took time and effort ugly isn't very cool.

I happen to like most of the new renders. in fact a lot of times I find myself wanting to hire guys based soley on their cool looking renders before realizing that my American audience may not want to see 90 percent aussies on their show so I show restraint.

I'm pretty attached to a lot of the renders. I've spent the better part of five years identifying with these characters. Now granted some could use a chance but I'd say a good 85% are just fine.

Personally, I'd like to see Sam Keith's boys re-rendered. They're not bad but they look real goofy compared to their father whereas the DeColt progeny and other families have descendants that look like they can pick up where the patriarch left off or at least make a good effort and/or be taken seriously. LOL

I have a harder time taking Greg Gauge serious with the big head and scrawny neck. Matthew at least looks more the part. LOL

I like the newer ones compared to the older renders to be honest. It gives a more unique feel to it. I even played a game with ACPW because the entire roster was done that way. Everyone has their own view though.

I like the look of the Barracudas, Sean Quartermaine, Lynx and quite a few others.

I think Nightmare Stalker and Slasher could use a darker or more deviant look. Nighthawk could use a different style of paint or 2.

There are plenty that look fine as is. Maybe a few touch ups on some but not enough to make radical changes to their appearance.

sebsplex, the guy who dies the aussie style renders, orignally made them for his own mod. The GDS-Verse (see my avatar).

But when TEW2008 needed a making, Adam decided to use sebsplex's renders. From what I understand from what sebsplex has said in the past, the lighting he used for a lot of the C-Verse conversion was different. But with TEW2010, from a thread Adam posted that asked for some cutters, I deduce that sebs hasn't changed the lighting for a lot of the renders, hence the difference in style.

For some of the ones with the different lighting, check out Alexander Banks; Alyx Macquarie; Angus McMiller; Big Daddy Horne; Dingo Devine; Francis Burke and Frank Mucciolo.

A couple of those may not be his, but most of them are definetely, and there are more. Check out the APW roster (a lot of which had the changed lighting for TEW2008) and then look at the RAW roster (just the cutting). The renders are compatible the lighting just makes the features more OTT and harsher. That style was great for the GDS-Verse mind you.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr12/TheMaskedOrange/AlexanderBanks.jpg One of the re-rendered renders with the C-Verse designed lighting.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr12/TheMaskedOrange/RexPinegar.jpg How it looks in the GDS-Verse with original lighting.

Both look awesome, but the top one looks right at home in the C-Verse. Nothing to do with bad rendering, sebs is by far my favourite renderer out there.

Not sure where to put this, but seeing as it is a Re-render alt it seemed apt to put it in here first. If people would prefer me to use the normal alt thread I will do :)

Marc DuBois

(All credit to ewanite for the original render)

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/jhdTEW/Alts/MarcDuBois_jhdEwanite.jpg

Archived