WWF: Glass Shatters

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Way Out fan scorecard

The Undertaker and Ken Shamrock vs. Hunter Hearst Helmsley and TAFKA Goldust w/Chyna and Luna Vachon

Comments:

Owen Hart vs. Marc Mero w/Sable

Comments:

Ahmed Johnson and Flash Funkvs. The Nation of Domination (Faarooq and Rocky Miavia)

Comments:

The New Blackjacks and Steve Blackman vs. The Nation of Domination (D’Lo, Kama, and Mark Henry)

Comments:

Vader vs. Rikishi Fatu

Comments:

Mankind, Dude Love, and Cactus Jack vs. Jeff Jarrett and The New Age Outlaws

Comments:

Taka Michinoku vs. El Dandy

Comments:

Big Three Recap for Week 1, February 1998

Note: a rare day off for bad weather conditions means I had some time to do this week's recap. So this week I should be able to have the next Raw done, and then this one heads into WrestleMania!

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/beejus1/wwf-1/f4w.jpg

Figure 4 Online

Big Three Recap – Week 1, February 1998

WWF Raw is War Report!

Raw came live from Albuquerque, New Mexico, and they definitely did not take a wrong turn here! Yes, a lot of the matches came off as pretty dull and squashy, but the main event made up for it, as well as all the emphasis on The Undertaker. All the focus that was given to Undertaker was gold, and that is where this show stood up the most. At some points it definitely seemed like they went into turbo mode on announcing matches for next Sunday’s No Way Out of Texas pay-per-view, but with such a short time between the Royal Rumble to now, that was almost to be expected at some point. The feedback for the show has been positive, as people loved the times that Undertaker and DX were on the show. Overall, we give it a rating of B.

WCW Nitro Report!

As good as Raw was last night, with all the goings-on surrounding The Undertaker, it cannot be overstated as to how Bret Hart made Nitro this week. They were held live from Hawaii, drawing a sold out 7,700 fans to the Neal Blaisdell Arena. Whereas Raw had a lot of downtime (especially the lackluster matches) everything on Nitro was firing at full cylinders, almost as if they were making up for their Souled Out flub. The tension between partners on the heel team in the six man tag main event also made for some great drama. The show has gotten fantastic reviews, fans calling it nothing short of “awesome”. We here have given it a very strong B+ rating.

ANGLE: Confrontation between Sting and Scott Hall; Goldberg d. Evan Karagias; Harlem Heat d. Vicious & Delicious; ANGLE: Backstage segment with Bret Hart and Hollywood Hulk Hogan; Perry Saturn and Rocco Rock d. Glacier and Chris Jericho; ANGLE: Backstage segment with Randy Savage and Diamond Dallas Page; Kevin Nash went to time limit draw against Sting; Hollywood Hulk Hogan, Scott Hall, and Ric Flair d. Bret Hart, Diamond Dallas Page, and Scott Steiner.

ECW Hardcore TV Report!

Well, they can’t all be winners. This week’s Hardcore TV, as usual held from the Hammerstein Ballroom, showed why Shane Douglas is the champion, as he put on the best night of the card… but it wasn’t in the main event, and that dragged the show way down. We rate this one a D+. It was a slight black mark on the great run the company has been having, but it won’t be bad if this doesn’t become a habit.

ANGLE: Skit involving Chastity, Tommy Dreamer, and Shane Douglas; Chris Candido d. Pitbull II; Shane Douglas d. Bam Bam Bigelow, Justin Credible, and Tommy Dreamer; The Sandman d. Lance Storm.

Monday Night Ratings War!

WWF Raw is War

Monday at Primetime on USA Network: 3.95 (+0.12)

Monday at Primetime on TSN: 0.95 (same)

Friday at Primetime on Sky Sports: 1.31 (+0.15)

(Shotgun Saturday Night draws a 0.09 rating on Syndication.)

WCW Nitro

Monday at Primetime on TNT: 5.26 (same)

Monday at Evening on Galavision: 1.77 (+0.03)

Wednesday at Afternoon on Foxtel Australia: 0.21 (same)

(Saturday Night draws a 0.61 rating on TBS.)

Huge retirement announcement!

This has nothing to do with the war, but we would feel amiss if we did not mention the impending retirement from the business of the legendary grappler Lou Thesz. Thesz, at 81 years old, has decided to completely leave the business behind at the end of February.

Top Prospects of the week!

This week we would like to mention Jamie Dundee, a.k.a. J.C. Ice, as our top prospect. The outspoken youngster (to put it mildly) has worked in both the WWF and ECW, and is currently working in Ian Rotten’s local indy IWA-MS. But the day could always come when he and partner Wolfie D get the call back up to a major promotion in need of a tag team.

Quite a few people are said to be high on Chessman. A student of El Canek, Chessman has all the tools to be a break-out star; but not wanting to leave Mexico could really hurt his chances of exposure in the long run. He is currently unemployed.

People are once again calling out Dustin Rhodes again; most are saying that if he can escape being typecast as “the weird guy” then he could rule the WWF in the future.

A surprising name that has popped up this week comes from OMEGA. The small promotion boasts a very talented, ragtag group of talents, but one in particular is Venom. The North Carolina native is a bigger man who can move alongside much smaller wrestlers with ease. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him gracing a larger promotion very soon.

From the desk of Vincent K. McMahon:

“January was definitely a profitable month, and fans are seeing the shape of WrestleMania. The addition of Mike Tyson has been a great idea, and especially his joining D-Generation X, as it puts a lot of doubt into how the match may go. We still have some good twists and turns until we get there, though.

“TV networks are scheduling again this month. We plan to use this period to expand Raw into some new areas, but we are likely not going to try for any new shows at this point in time. We are holding WCW off in America, but we need to make a better stamp on the rest of the world in order to keep our stronghold on wrestling.

“The Patriot’s contract is set to expire at the end of the month. Del Wilkes may be a good guy, and his gimmick was great for crowd involvement, but even a tailor-made feud against the Hart Foundation couldn’t get him over during last year. He will not be offered a new deal, but never say never in the WWF, he could always return once his cruciate ligament heals up in a year and a half. Two contracts are coming up from WCW, but there’s no rush, as WCW don’t seem to want either of them. We have called Brian Hebner back up from PPW, as he was saying he was done developing in that way. We probably won’t have him working on Raw much yet, as he’s still young; but Earl and Dave are definitely pleased with him being here. Earl is catching a ton of crap from fans as of late though, so we aren’t going to call Brian by his given name. No need to get his big time career off to a bad start. Back when Shane was working as a ref, we called him Shane Stevens. That will do the trick to throw fans off.

“The WWF profited a little over $934,000 in January, a lot of that due to a great showing at the Royal Rumble. With No Way Out of Texas coming up on the 15th, we look for February to be just as profitable.”

The Undertaker and Ken Shamrock vs. Hunter Hearst Helmsley and TAFKA Goldust w/Chyna and Luna Vachon

Comments:

Comments:

Ahmed Johnson and Flash Funk vs. The Nation of Domination (Faarooq and Rocky Miavia)

Comments:

The New Blackjacks and Steve Blackman vs. The Nation of Domination (D’Lo, Kama, and Mark Henry)

Comments:

Vader vs. Rikishi Fatu

Comments:

Comments:

Comments:

Tiebreaker Questions

1. What match will be the highest rated on the card? Taker & Shamrock vs Goldust & HHH

2. What match will be the lowest rated on the card? Blackjacks & Blackman vs NOD

3. How many turns might there be? 1

4. Will any of the advertised matches NOT take place? Outlaws & Jarrett vs Foley

5. What match will open the show? Faarooq & The Rock vs Ahmed & Funk

Just a quick one here, I changed one of the tiebreaker questions. Realized #4 was pretty redundant in it's original form. So if smwilliams would like to change that one, and Midnightnick would like to answer them, it's correct on the scorecard now. Thanks for the predictions, there should be some time yet but I'll keep everyone fairly updated on how it goes!

Also thanks Nickman and CPB, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

No Way Out fan scorecard

Comments: Wasn't Sure, but thought Ken and Taker may get DQ win

Comments:

Ahmed Johnson and Flash Funk vs. The Nation of Domination (Faarooq and Rocky Miavia)

Comments: This could cause some tension in the nation

Comments:

Vader vs. Rikishi Fatu

Comments:

Comments: Can't wait for this

Comments:

Tiebreaker Questions

1. What match will be the highest rated on the card? Main Event

2. What match will be the lowest rated on the card? Taka VS Dandy

3. How many turns might there be? 2

4. Which of the advertised matches may NOT take place?Jarrett and Outlaws VS Three Faces of Foley

5. What match will open the show? Vader VS Rikishi

Comments:

Comments:

Comments:

Comments:

Vader vs. Rikishi Fatu

Comments:

Comments:

Comments:

Tiebreaker Questions

1. What match will be the highest rated on the card? Main event tag match

2. What match will be the lowest rated on the card? Taka vs. Dandy

3. How many turns might there be? 0

4. Which of the advertised matches may NOT take place? The Foley match is the most logical, but I'll say the Rocky/Faarooq tag match just for the heck of it.

5. What match will open the show? Owen vs. Mero

Tiebreaker Questions

1. What match will be the highest rated on the card? Hart v Mero

2. What match will be the lowest rated on the card? Taka/Dandy

4. Which of the advertised matches may NOT take place? Foley v JJ/NAO

5. What match will open the show? Owen v Mero

Undertaker is making a lot of enemies - I like that.

Quick question, is the light heavyweight division disappointing you or is it something that you have accepted that it will take a while to build?

Fortunately for him, a lot of those enemies already have enemies who can rush in to lend a hand once in awhile!

I'm not disappointed with it (no matter how I write Vince on the matter) but I am just trying to build it up a bit. As much as I don't want to have to go on a signing spree over it, I can't have a decent division made up of 4 guys. Hence the sudden appearance of El Dandy (who should not be doubted in his match! :D ) and I signed someone else as well to debut shortly. It's no big name, but it should help. I really gained a curveball with it when Taka and Christopher ended up having awful chemistry, meaning a longer feud between the two would not have been a great idea.

Comments: I could see Undertaker winning too and staying strong but since Shawn isn´t on the card, I think that he will make an appearance here and likely costs Undertaker this match.

Comments: Not much question on this one

Comments: Even though they really don´t come along, I doubt that Faarooq and Rocky would drop this one as I just don´t see Johnson and Funk being on the same level.

Comments: Could go either way but that Nation line-up doesn´t really impress me.

Vader vs. Rikishi Fatu

Comments: Bit of a coin flip but if I remember right, Vince wasn´t high on Vader so I go with Rikishi here

Comments: I doubt this will actually happen but if it does, then I don´t see much way for Mick to win.

Comments: When I doubt, I go with the champ.

Tiebreaker Questions

1. What match will be the highest rated on the card? The Undertaker and Ken Shamrock vs. Hunter Hearst Helmsley and TAFKA Goldust

2. What match will be the lowest rated on the card? Taka Michinoku vs. El Dandy

4. Which of the advertised matches may NOT take place? Mankind, Dude Love, and Cactus Jack vs. Jeff Jarrett and The New Age Outlaws

5. What match will open the show? Vader vs. Rikishi Fatu

Comments:

Comments:

Comments:

Comments:

Vader vs. Rikishi Fatu

Comments:

Comments:

Comments:

Tiebreaker Questions

1. What match will be the highest rated on the card? Undertaker and Ken Shamrock Vs HHH and TAFKA Goldust

2. What match will be the lowest rated on the card? Taka Vs Dandy

4. Which of the advertised matches may NOT take place? Jeff Jarrett and New Age Outlaws Vs Mick Foley

5. What match will open the show? Owen Hart Vs Marc Mero

Please tell me it's Hypnosis!

I wish... I swear if I could sign someone that good, he'd take over the whole division. Alas, WCW has him locked down. However, it is another luchadore who I'm pretty sure had a short time in WCW IRL.

Comments:

Comments:

Comments:

Comments:

Vader vs. Rikishi Fatu

Comments:

Comments:

Comments:

Tiebreaker Questions

1. What match will be the highest rated on the card? Undertaker and Shamrock/Triple H and Goldy

3. How many turns might there be? None, although I could see Sable turning on Mero but I think that's more likely to happen at 'Mania.

4. Which of the advertised matches may NOT take place? Foley/Jarrett and Outlaws

5. What match will open the show? Vader/Rikishi

Comments: It's the obvious choice right here.

Comments: If it happens, Owen wins. But I see that something will occur to prevent it from starting.

Comments: Rocky turns on Faarooq right here.

Comments: Gotta have one win by the Nation.

Vader vs. Rikishi Fatu

Comments: As much as I like Vader, he's perfect to put Rikishi over.

Comments: Well, I've had no time to catch up on what happened on the diary since my internet returned, but...da f*** is this? O_O This is the match of my dreams!

Comments: I wanna pick El Dandy so much...but I can't :/

Tiebreaker Questions

1. What match will be the highest rated on the card? Taker and Kenny vs. Hunter and Goldust. Wait, that is incorrect. Taker and Kenny vs. Hunter and The Artist Formerly Known As Goldust.

2. What match will be the lowest rated on the card? El Dandy vs. TAKA Michinoku.[/b]

3. How many turns might there be? 1, Faarooq

4. Which of the advertised matches may NOT take place? Owen vs. Mero. Just because I wanna read the Foley match so much. It HAS to occur. And there is sense in many people attacking Owen before his match, and Mero ''winning'' by forfeit.

5. What match will open the show? 6-Man (?) Tag Team Match

<p><strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">No Way Out fan scorecard</span></strong></p><p>

<strong>The Undertaker and Ken Shamrock</strong> vs. Hunter Hearst Helmsley and TAFKA Goldust w/Chyna and Luna Vachon</p><p>

Comments: Obvious win for Taker going into Mania.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Owen Hart</strong> vs. Marc Mero w/Sable</p><p>

Comments: Keep building Hart up; I like Mero in this game but he's not going to beat Owen.</p><p> </p><p>

Ahmed Johnson and Flash Funk vs. <strong>The Nation of Domination (Faarooq and Rocky Miavia)</strong></p><p>

Comments: I think Rocky picks up the win here despite tension between him and Faarooq.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The New Blackjacks and Steve Blackman</strong> vs. The Nation of Domination (D’Lo, Kama, and Mark Henry)</p><p>

Comments: Nation won't win both matches; and I like the Blackjacks. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Vader</strong> vs. Rikishi Fatu</p><p>

Comments: It's Vader. I can't go against him.</p><p> </p><p>

Mankind, Dude Love, and Cactus Jack vs. <strong>Jeff Jarrett and The New Age Outlaws</strong></p><p>

Comments: I have a feeling this match won't happen as advertised but Double J and the Outlaws pick up the win; I doubt Foley can wrestle as all three in the same match - unless he changes outfit under the ring.</p><p> </p><p>

Taka Michinoku vs. <strong>El Dandy</strong></p><p>

Comments: I'll go with Dandy, just because he's Dandy.</p><p> </p><p>

Tiebreaker Questions</p><p>

1. What match will be the highest rated on the card? <strong>Main Event Tag</strong></p><p>

2. What match will be the lowest rated on the card? <strong>Six Man with the Nation</strong></p><p>

3. How many turns might there be? <strong>0</strong></p><p>

4. Which of the advertised matches may NOT take place? <strong>Three Faces of Foley</strong></p><p>

5. What match will open the show? <strong>Light Heavyweight</strong></p>

<p>No Way Out fan scorecard</p><p>

<strong>The Undertaker and Ken Shamrock</strong> vs. Hunter Hearst Helmsley and TAFKA Goldust w/Chyna and Luna Vachon</p><p>

Comments:</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Owen Hart</strong> vs. Marc Mero w/Sable</p><p>

Ahmed Johnson and Flash Funk vs. <strong>The Nation of Domination (Faarooq and Rocky Miavia)</strong></p><p>

The New Blackjacks and Steve Blackman vs. <strong>The Nation of Domination (D’Lo, Kama, and Mark Henry)</strong></p><p>

<strong>Vader</strong> vs. Rikishi Fatu</p><p>

Mankind, Dude Love, and Cactus Jack vs. <strong>Jeff Jarrett and The New Age Outlaws</strong></p><p>

Comments: How can the three faces of Foley be on the same tag team?</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Taka Michinoku</strong> vs. El Dandy</p><p>

Tiebreaker Questions</p><p>

1. What match will be the highest rated on the card? Main event</p><p>

2. What match will be the lowest rated on the card? Taka v Dandy</p><p>

3. How many turns might there be? 2</p><p>

4. Which of the advertised matches may NOT take place? Three Faces of Foley v Jarrett & Outlaws</p><p>

5. What match will open the show? Taka v Dandy</p>

WWF Raw is War / War Zone - 2/9/1998

Note: This is the go-home show for No Way Out, so if you haven't gotten predictions in for it yet, now's the time!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tVIDkgTw4FE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WWF RAW is WAR / War Zone

February 9th, 1998 (Week 2)

Held at: Reunion Arena in Dallas, Texas (Mid-South)

Attendance: 17,000 (sold out!)

Show Runtime: Two Hours (5 minute overrun)

Rating: B

This show increased our popularity in 12 regions.

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/beejus1/wwf-1/raw.jpg

The opening of the show starts with Jim Ross and Jim Cornette talking about later tonight when one of the three faces of Foley will go one-on-one with “Road Dog” Jesse James. Cornette sold the match with his usual hyper exaggerated style, and it was done masterfully. See, we know that Cornette prefers to work without a script, so we tend to keep him doing things like this early in the show so that JR, who is about 50-50, can typically keep up. Lawler, however, isn’t as good at it as Cornette, so later in the evening when he is given the headset, I feed lines to him and JR to be on the safe side for both of them. Now if only JR and Cornette remembered how well they used to work together; they have experience from years ago, why don’t they use it more often? Anyways, The Undertaker starts the show off properly, coming down to the ring to address the Dallas crowd. He hypes up this Sunday at No Way Out of Texas and the tag team main event, saying that while he’s grateful for the hand lent to him by people like Ken Shamrock or Owen Hart, he wants them to know that they are not his friends, nor does he need either of them; in fact, he could walk into Houston this Sunday and wipe the mat with Hunter and Goldust on his own! Ken Shamrock takes offense to this, coming down to the ring himself and countering that he has no problems with not being best buddies with Undertaker. We gave Ken a great quote to work with here: “I respect you and your accomplishments – but if it came down to it, I’d put you on the mat and snap your ankle just as fast as I would anyone else.” The two go nose to nose (more like neck to forehead) as Cornette crows about them not being able to work together on Sunday; that’s when I make my appearance, laughing at the two of them. I tell them that if they go into this Sunday’s main event separated, they will both get broken and torn apart in a matter of minutes. Now since that will mean that “these wonderful fans” go home without seeing a proper main event, perhaps we need some warm-up matches “in that very ring, tonight.” I like how that sounds, I’ll have to use it more often. I book two matches: one at the top of this hour featuring “Triple H” and Goldust taking on Ahmed Johnson and Flash Funk; and the main event of the evening will now be The Undertaker and Ken Shamrock against Faarooq and “The Rock”! The crowd seems pretty excited for both of them, and I really enjoyed not having a script here; though of course I knew what matches I was going to set up ahead of time. Ken surprised me though, showing a bit more range with his performance than usual. He might just turn into a huge star yet.

Ratings: C / B- / B

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/beejus1/wwf-1/rikishi.jpghttp://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/beejus1/wwf-1/vs.jpghttp://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/beejus1/wwf-1/bobholly.jpg

Rikishi Fatu vs. Bob “Spark Plugg” Holly

A short match that was mostly used to show off Rikishi Fatu again, as Bob does the job. Ha ha ha, that rhymed. JR’s announcing helped as he really worked to put over Rikishi’s match on Sunday against Vader, as Fatu put this one away with a big splash. Once the match is over, Vader made his way out and started brawling with Fatu, finally sending Rikishi out of the ring with a flurry. He celebrates in the ring during a commercial break, and is at the interview wall along with Jerry “The King” Lawler when we come back. Vader talks about targeting Kane, saying that there is only one monster in the WWF, and he’s going to prove that it’s definitely not Rikishi this Sunday. Vader also says that he’s smelling blood in the water, and that’s why he’s making a big challenge as soon as he sees Shawn Michaels tonight. I may not care for Vader much, but at this point, I’m not going to deny that I can squeeze some fan support out of him.

Match Time: 6:14

Ratings: D / B / B-

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/beejus1/wwf-1/markhenry.jpghttp://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/beejus1/wwf-1/vs.jpghttp://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/beejus1/wwf-1/owenhart.jpg

“The World’s Strongest Man” Mark Henry vs. “The Black Hart” Owen Hart

Special Guest Commentary: Sunny

We trotted Sunny out there just to get her some screen time tonight. She helps lift the announcing for this; I know she certainly has helped lift some things for me in the past, heh heh heh. Owen looks good here, as he plays to all of Mark’s strengths and making him look like a huge threat. Hart picks up the win by sliding down Henry’s back during a gorilla press and taking him down with a crucifix pin for the three count.

Match Time: 4:56

Rating: C-

We head to the interview cage where the Honky Tonk Man is standing by with Dude Love. Honky, putting himself over as “the greatest Intercontinental interviewer in the WWF”, asks Dude which of his personas will take on Jesse James tonight. Honky is playing a new character, a much more fitting one; they called it Putz (Comedy), and Lanza says that it rated 87 out of 100. Dude feigns ignorance of what he means by “personas” because Mick is just that good of an actor, but says that even though “Manny was pretty P.O.’ed last week, the only man who could get more mad is ol’ wacko Jacko – Cactus Jack is gonna spay that Road Dog!” Dude also talks about how excited he is that for No Way Out of Texas, not only will he and “his friends” get his hands on “those jive cats” Jarrett and the Outlaws, but he will also be hosting a special edition of The Love Shack along with none other than Mr. Vince McMahon – and a very, very special guest! Honky tries to get the word from him on who the guest is, daring to ask if it’s a certain Texan – but Dude clams up, saying that Honky and all the fans will have to watch the Love Shack to find out. Both men performed well off-script here, and I’m pretty pleased with how this whole segment came off. I think fans will really like what we have planned for the Love Shack on Sunday.

Rating: C+

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/beejus1/wwf-1/jeffjarrett.jpghttp://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/beejus1/wwf-1/vs.jpghttp://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/beejus1/wwf-1/rwanimal.jpg

Jeff Jarrett vs. Animal

We kept this one short but just long enough for a short story to be told; Jarrett tries to wrestle Animal, but Animal just overpowers him at every turn. Finally Jeff just gets frustrated quickly and just grabs a chair, smashing Animal with it in front of Tim White, leading to a disqualification win for Animal as Jeff leaves the match. The crowd wasn’t into it very much due to the short match, but the match they told was good.

Match Time; 5:54

Jerry Lawler is at the door to the Nation of Domination now, and he gets some words with the group. “The Rock” of course jumps in front of everyone to talk about how great he is and how he can singlehandedly win both tonight and at No Way Out, but he’s graciously letting Faarooq get some glory by being on his team. Faarooq, D’Lo, and Kama step into the segment as Faarooq says that “this is what I’ve been talking about,” saying that the Nation of Domination have their name because they have dominated as a single mentality, a group of like-minded individuals with one goal and one calling. D’Lo and Kama don’t serve a lot of purpose in this, and actually drag the segment down a little by not performing very well as silent backup. Kama does seem to be perking up on his acting skill. Miavia smooths over Faarooq though, saying that he was just about to add that the team wouldn’t be able to enter either match without him, so in that way, he needs Faarooq – but when they’re out there, as long as everyone knows their roll they should be able to roll right over Undertaker, Shamrock, Ahmed, and Funk, along with any other “monkey ass” who gets in their way. Lawler leaves the room saying that he can’t wait to see “The Rock” out there, adding “along with Faarooq!” when Faarooq gives him dirty looks.

Rating: C

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/beejus1/wwf-1/hunter.jpghttp://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/beejus1/wwf-1/tafkagoldust.jpghttp://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/beejus1/wwf-1/wwf-s/chyna.jpghttp://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/beejus1/wwf-1/vs.jpghttp://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/beejus1/wwf-1/ahmedjohnson.jpghttp://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/beejus1/wwf-1/flashfunk.jpg

“Triple H” Hunter Hearst Helmsley and The Artist Formerly Known as Goldust w/Chyna vs. “Pearl River Powerhouse” Ahmed Johnson and Flash Funk[/b]

In our first big match tonight, Hunter and Goldust show off that they can team well together; we already knew Ahmed and Flash were a decent team. No great chemistry between them, but that’s fine because we don’t have any incredibly long term plans for them as a tag team. But we wouldn’t want to roll into them as a main event for such a huge pay-per-view event (I can’t even say it with a straight face) with something like “no timing” creeping up on us out of nowhere; which is also the reason for the Taker and Ken team in the main event tonight. Now before you read it in any dirt sheet, I had to suspend Luna before the show went on the air, and that is why she is not out there alongside Goldust. Anyways, this one has some good action; everybody gets time to show some of their skills off. Ahmed keeps the crowd active while Hunter and Goldust work Flash over. Funk is about to finally make the hot tag, but when he gets blocked from it, he gets frustrated and then gets a little extra as Goldust grabs him from behind – leading to Flash spinning around and kicking him straight in the balls! Wow, Dustin sold that way too well for him to not have caught him a little bit. Ahmed seemed to pick up a few performance skills here, but Helmsley looked really good in this match.

Match Time: 12:27

Rating: B-

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/beejus1/wwf-1/warzone.jpg

So we started the second hour with a lot of interview and backstage segments, so let’s just stroll right through them at once. First, “Good ol’ JR” and “The King” give some predictions for the main event tonight, Lawler siding with the Nation of Domination and especially Rocky, “who will lead Faarooq to a huge victory tonight” while Ross says that both teams are “dysfunctional, to the say the least” but backs Undertaker and Shamrock’s drive to win being a factor that can bring them together. Backstage we see me entering the locker room of D-Generation X. Coming off of his match, Hunter struggles a little when saying that Goldust better go “ice the gens” so he can be ready to go again on Sunday. Tyson laughs in the background, but I ask Shawn what he plans to do about No Way Out of Texas. Shawn says that he has an idea, but the camera needs to go away first. We hit up a darkly lit, red tinted room, where Kane stands with Paul Bearer. Over Kane’s entrance music, Paul says that Vader needs to stop looking ahead – he needs to worry about getting in the way of the new, true monster of the WWF, Kane! Kane looked good here, as he tends to do. The New Age Outlaws and Jeff Jarrett are shown at the interview cage along with Honky Tonk, and despite Jarrett saying that Animal got what was coming to him after trying to show him up, James does most of the talking. He says that if he must face Cactus Jack tonight, then he will beat him even uglier; he questions what would happen if they put Jack out of action tonight. James struggled a little here, but Honky improvised well. Elsewhere, Owen Hart is lacing up his street clothes shoes, getting ready to head out of the arena for the evening, when he’s approached by the always lovely Sable! What a lucky asshole he is; I know that Sable coming up to me always ends in some good times. I’ll be honest; I don’t know or care what she’s talking about here, probably thanking him or something. Her cleavage is hanging out of her shirt like I told her to do, and that’s what is important in this segment. With my help, I think she’s really going to rise up the ranks, heh heh, of the WWF. Owen gets attacked by Mr. Sable for talking to Sable, and Sable bounces around in protest. Oh yeah, bounce, bounce, bounce. They tell me that Owen’s performance was good, but that Marc underperformed. There was a Marc in this segment?

Ratings: C / B+ / C+ / C- / C+

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/beejus1/wwf-1/jessejames.jpghttp://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/beejus1/wwf-1/vs.jpghttp://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/beejus1/wwf-1/cactusjack.jpg

“Road Dog” Jesse James vs. Cactus Jack

James gives a spiel on the way to the ring, about being the “Tag Team champions of the World!” He really enjoyed not being scripted on it, adding a few new twinges in as he went. He performed very well, as Billy Gunn stands along the side. Cactus Jack comes down, and the match is very good between these two. The crowd only saves themselves slightly for the main event, and JR does a great job lifting the match by talking about how much he dislikes the odds against Mick Foley this Sunday. I would daresay Foley picked up some more performance training over the past week, and showed it off here. Gunn runs distractions whenever he can behind Mike Chioda’s back, and Jeff Jarrett even gets in on doing so as well. Cactus rallies toward the end, but too many people around the ring leads to too much confusion, and James is able to roll Jack up while holding the tights for a cheap victory.

Match Time: 11:44

Ratings: C+ / B

I come out to the ramp, and talk about this Sunday at No Way Out Of Texas. I say that there are a lot of great athletes who have come from Texas in the past. I namedrop people like the Von Erichs, Goldust and “his fat daddy”, the Funks, the Blackjacks, Tito Santana… and I start to say about one huge star who you aren’t expecting at the pay-per-view, but you will see in a very special role – “what was his name? My, my, maybe I am getting old enough to have memory problems.” The fans are obviously being prompted, and they’re getting into a loud “Austin” chant… until I introduce Shawn Michaels, saying that he will be the special host of No Way Out Of Texas, from the commentary table all night long! The crowd boos loudly at it not being Austin, and that’s perfect. I really worked them well here. Shawn comes out to join commentary for the main event tonight, but when we come back from commercial break, he has an unwelcome guest – Vader! “The Mastodon” had come out during the break and had an unscripted confrontation with Michaels, which saw Vader very poor at improvising while Shawn did well. Vader made his challenge for a WWF title match next week on Raw, and this is where Shawn shines in this segment; he says that Vader is just a big load who needs dumped on the side of the road. He tells Vader that he’s beaten him before, and he’ll carry the big load again next week – but if he can’t beat “Fat-tu” this Sunday, then there’s no way in hell he’s giving Vader a title match! Shawn’s performance was very good here, but after I had them worked into a huge frenzy earlier, this part seemed to fall flat.

Ratings: B+ / C+

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/beejus1/wwf-1/faarooq.jpghttp://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/beejus1/wwf-1/rockymiavia.jpghttp://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/beejus1/wwf-1/vs.jpghttp://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/beejus1/wwf-1/undertaker.jpghttp://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/beejus1/wwf-1/kenshamrock.jpg

The Nation of Domination (Faarooq & “The Rock” Rocky Miavia) vs. The Undertaker and “The World’s Most Dangerous Man” Ken Shamrock

Special Guest Commentary: Shawn Michaels

We started this with a special in-ring introduction from Howard Finkel, but from there it’s just an all-out battle. The crowd did seem to react well to Finkel, but he looked dreadful. Undertaker looked excellent though, always selling the character to perfection. Some great action is shown by all four men during the main event, and it pushes everyone’s stories ahead as Undertaker and Shamrock both run afoul of Shawn at ringside, while Faarooq and Miavia almost seem at one another’s throats just as badly as their opponents. Rocky even seems to pick up a few pointers in performance during this match. The crowd tended to be a little cold for this, though; I’m blaming Vader for calming my crowd here. The melee begins once Earl Hebner gets bumped, and everyone is in the ring brawling. Faarooq ends up holding Shamrock for Rocky, who is going to smash him with the Intercontinental title, but Ken moves at the last moment, leading to Ken hitting Miavia with the hurricanrana as Undertaker drills a woozy Faarooq with a chokeslam and picks up the pin. Outside the ring, however, Shawn has gotten up from the announce table and nailed Shamrock with a superkick, before standing on the table to get the attention of Undertaker. From behind him come Helmsley, Chyna, and Tyson, who bashes Undertaker with the European title! Goldust also slips into the fray, and he is on the floor badmouthing and punching Shamrock. His performance isn’t great, but that could be because his character is confused when left on its own. DX and Goldust are laying a good beating on their No Way Out opponents, but Vader comes back out to even the odds a little more; Undertaker and Shamrock get back into it, and the huge brawl is how we end the final show before the pay-per-view.

Ratings: C / B / B+

Notes: Howard Finkel’s gimmick changed to Staff Member (Realistic), which rated 80.

<iframe width="220" height="165" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MMFuAyufkvw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WWF Shotgun Saturday Night

Announcers: Jim Ross, Jim Cornette, and Michael Cole

Matches:

Marty Jannetty d. Miguel (D-)

Savio Vega squashes Cham Pain (D-)

The Headbangers d. Scoot Andrews and Michael Modest (E+)

Animal d. Kurrgan via countout (D)

Segments:

Raw recap videos: Owen Hart is attacked by Marc Mero (C-); Vader challenges Shawn Michaels (C+); The Undertaker and Ken Shamrock argue, but work together in the end to defeat Faarooq and Rocky Miavia in the Raw main event (C+).

In a previously unseen segment from during Raw, Ahmed Johnson approaches Flash Funk about his conduct during their tag match. Flash tells Ahmed that he just got lost in the moment, but his head will be where it needs to be for their tag match this Sunday. (D)

To close the show, Jim Ross, Jim Cornette, Honky Tonk Man, and Sunny run down the card for No Way Out of Texas, and urge fans to order it to be a part of the action. (D+)

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/beejus1/wwf-1/signature1.jpg

No Way Out fan scorecard

Comments:

Comments:

Comments:

Comments:

Vader vs. Rikishi Fatu

Comments:

Comments:

Comments:

Tiebreaker Questions

1. What match will be the highest rated on the card? Taker/Shamrock vs. HHH/Goldie

4. Which of the advertised matches may NOT take place? Owen vs. Mero

5. What match will open the show? Taka vs. Dandy

No Way Out fan scorecard

Comments: I'm feeling some HBK interference here

Comments: Oh Boy Sable! But who's this Marc Mero guy?

Comments: I think that the Nation should win this one, but it'll add to the upcoming Faarooq/Rocky blowoff

Comments: I don't think that the NOD will sweep the night though

Vader vs. Rikishi Fatu

Comments: Don't think this will be the end of the feud though

Comments: This is a weird one

Comments: I like TAKA a lot.

Tiebreaker Questions

1. What match will be the highest rated on the card? Owen/Mero

2. What match will be the lowest rated on the card? TAKA/Dandy

4. Which of the advertised matches may NOT take place? Faces of Foley vs Jarrett/NAO

5. What match will open the show? NOD vs Ahmed/Flash

Archived