WMMA5 Developer's Journal Discussion Thread

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Wayne28" data-cite="Wayne28" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44307" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Because you can personally edit the rankings to how you feel they should be based on who beat who. Just a cool feature to customization.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I've seen situations in which a fighter defeats another and once the rankings get updated, the fighter that lost is still ranked higher that the one who just beat him. It would be nice to be able to modify rankings for those situations.</p><p> </p><p> Also I've seen a high regional company who's champion was previously unranked go up to the number 3 best fighter at that weight in the world (Once the company reaches low level national). While these things aren't game breaking, they do mess with the immersion of the game at times. So being able to edit ranks would help with the realism if its not abused.</p>

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Love the additions very much! Looking forward to the release. I just wonder if converting databases has any serious drawbacks. I have never done that before, now I am killing lots of time editing my big WMMA4 database... so will it be possible to just convert my DB into the WMMA5 and start a new game without problems? Adam mentioned new weight parameters, is this going to affect my converted DB?

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Adam Ryland" data-cite="Adam Ryland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44307" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I don't know if people are misunderstanding my earlier reply, but to clarify <em>you cannot edit the rankings</em>. That isn't, and won't be, a feature in WMMA5.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yeah, I get that and I like the new feature being able to update them with a push of a button rather than having to let another game day pass before they auto update.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Tag01" data-cite="Tag01" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44307" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'm kind of amazed at how these smaller but still awesome features are starting to add up. It's a nice mix of qualify of life changes and new features to add immersion.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Me too. Really helps the user become more involved in the world.</p><p> </p><p> With these kind of games that don't rely on graphics, the more little bits and pieces that add immersion, the better.</p>

I've seen situations in which a fighter defeats another and once the rankings get updated, the fighter that lost is still ranked higher that the one who just beat him. It would be nice to be able to modify rankings for those situations.

But that is not how ranking works. Arlovski got dropped by Francis but Francis is still ranked lower. Rankers are tested and tried fighter judged by their overrall records, not just a recent one or two match.

#135 Quick Accept

A new Quick Accept button allows a contract negotiation to be completed immediately without the need to check the details. This saves time and clicking.

#136 Quick Accept All

Following on from the above, there is also a Quick Accept All button that completes all available negotiations at once without needing them to be checked. This again saves a lot of time, particularly when building a roster or renewing a lot of contracts at the same time.

The only thing that I considered a must-have in the new game. Thank you. Can. Not. Wait.

In real life, the rankings are done by a select group of media members. Dana White and Sean Shelby don't always agree with them, which is why they are sometimes seemingly ignored (well that and money fights getting in the way :( ).

Exactly, rankings are controversial in real life so I think it’s fine if they are sometimes controversial in the game.

In both cases they are somewhat accurate the large majority of the time

Personality And persona being added to fighter's profile is great. I always felt that feature was a little redundant being hidden away in the editor.

I also like the "likely usuage" feature (if I'm understanding correctly what it means).

Does it show up on matchmaking screens to advise which fighters would be a good fit for particular cards?

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="soluuloi" data-cite="soluuloi" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44307" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>But that is not how ranking works. Arlovski got dropped by Francis but Francis is still ranked lower. Rankers are tested and tried fighter judged by their overrall records, not just a recent one or two match.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Andrei Arlovski is 1-5 in his last six fights and was on a 3 fight losing streak when he fought Nganou and Arlovski is still in the top 15. So i'm not sure that citing the Heavyweight division on how rankings work is probably a bad idea. On the other hand Darren Till had a draw and two decision victories(one of which he barely eked out) before he had his coming out party against Cerrone and now is top 10. Off basically one fight, because he beat a huge name.</p><p> </p><p> And yes, I am aware that the feature announced didn't say that we were going to have the ability to edit rankings. I was simply agreeing with someone who said that it would be a cool idea to have that as a feature in this game or in future installations. At any rate, the game already sounds like it's going to be amazing and I can't wait to play it!</p>

<p>Love seeing people's suggestions make it into the game.</p><p>

This kind of back and forth between developer and players is really special. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Super impressed with the new features. It's surprising how much a game with 4 iterations can improve. It's gonna be a new beast entirely when it comes out!</p><p> </p><p>

Thank you and keep up the good work!</p>

<p>Some of today's features are huge for me personally.</p><p> </p><p>

The thing I'm still curious about is the "camp" feature and if it's been overhauled or adjusted for the short notice feature. In other words: will short notice fighters' skills be impacted? Right now in WMMA4 the stat progression will be lessened by a couple of %'s (if there is still growth possible). This information is not that valuable to the player as you have little control over fight outcomes anyway, but it's always nice to know how the game works so hopefully it's in the in-game FAQ.</p><p> </p><p>

The official UFC games work with temporary skill boosts but I'm under the impression WMMA only takes consistency into account to shift the stats at the beginning of a fight and has increased skill progression during pre-fight camps that is "banked" until stat decline starts. I think both approaches are valid.</p><p> </p><p>

The other thing is teams and gameplanning. The journal says gameplanning will be enhanced by a team, but it depends whether the stat dictates the fighter's own fighting IQ or the ability to follow through with an assigned gameplan. I'd also like to know if fighters can learn from each other in teams, but quite frankly there's arguments to be made that the presence of an elite fighter has no impact on the quality of training given at a team, so I'm fine with the absence of this.</p>

<p>Happy Thanksgiving!</p><p> </p><p>

Each day of announcements keeps getting better and better!</p><p> </p><p>

Forgive me if I missed this or if it is already included in WMM4, but is there a way to change a regions ability to host mma events mid game? For example, if New York has mma as "illegal", could we change it to legal mid game?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="CoIVIboguard" data-cite="CoIVIboguard" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44307" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Love the additions very much! Looking forward to the release. I just wonder if converting databases has any serious drawbacks. I have never done that before, now I am killing lots of time editing my big WMMA4 database... so will it be possible to just convert my DB into the WMMA5 and start a new game without problems? Adam mentioned new weight parameters, is this going to affect my converted DB?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I predict its playable from the start as Adam lets the converter assign default values based on existing ones. Byt if you want your fighters to have a full personality you’re going to have to edit every fighter personally.</p><p> </p><p> @wayne: i think there is a narrative for that already but unsure.</p>

<p>There is no feature that stands out that makes this a must buy for me. There are however a lot of small features that is going to make this a must buy. There are features that I did not know I wanted or did not even think of, that make this sound awesome.</p><p> </p><p>

For instance the whole volunteer fighter feature is not something I would have ever thought of, yet I am now hyped for it now that I have read about it.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="BHK1978" data-cite="BHK1978" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44307" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>There is no feature that stands out that makes this a must buy for me. There are however a lot of small features that is going to make this a must buy. </div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That is exactly how I'm feeling.</p>

<p>Filter by Nationality</p><p> </p><p>

Super excited for the game and have been reading through Adam's developer journal. </p><p> </p><p>

Maybe I missed this on list (or maybe it's not there) but is anyone aware whether their is a plan to include a filter by nationality option on the match making/booking screen?</p><p> </p><p>

I'm just playing WMMA4 now and it's incredibly frustrating when booking shows abroad, having to go through each profile to find home talent.</p><p> </p><p>

Thanks in advance for your help. Cheers, David</p>

Archived