TEW2020 Discussion Thread

I can imagine this being one of the bigger journal entries in terms of differentiating 2020 from previous games. Definitely feels like a risk (in a good way) as I love the idea in general but I think it has to be implemented well to ensure good balance. Makes me interested to hear how this affects things like written contracts/tv requirements and other things that were linked to the previous cult/national dynamic.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very intrigued by the new size/regional growth system. I think the doing away with "importance" is a really smart play--it was a stat that I think never really made sense to me.

I like the logic behind expansion too, very curious to see how it plays out.

As I read it, importance is still in - but it's restricted to how the region is viewed. If you're just building popularity you're not penalised for not being in a hotbed region, but I suspect you may draw less compared to a similarly-sized fed in the Tri State, say.

Hate the idea of running a company termed as "Insignificant." I love everything else about the journal entry though. I found it to be really smart, and able to make a tangible difference in simulating a real world game world which is still the weakest point of the TEW games.

<p>Honestly not the biggest fan of the new size system, I liked the previous one despite its pitfalls but I appreciate and understand the change. Wonder where that leaves former cult level companies, medium i'd guess. Also where can one start offering exclusive contracts? I'd guess medium here as well. </p><p> </p><p>

The big thing this also affects is battles, in terms of both regional and national. I can't wait to see how this affects them.</p>

<p>To everyone wondering about the "conversion" of company sizes, it's just a renaming of those from TEW16. To quote Adam, new size names will be:</p><p>

"Insignificant, Tiny, Small, Medium, Big, Large, and Titanic"</p><p>

Later on, in the next to last paragraph, he mentions:</p><p>

"As you can see from the Great Lakes example, getting to Big (what used to be "National")"</p><p> </p><p>

With that in mind...</p><p>

Local -> Insignificant</p><p>

Small -> Tiny</p><p>

Regional -> Small</p><p>

Cult -> Medium</p><p>

Big -> National</p><p>

Large -> International</p><p>

Global -> Titanic</p><p> </p><p>

As far as the announcement itself, I like this new line of thought. Importance has brought more confusion than game depth and the new system makes isolated regions worth playing. In TEW16, isolation offers no protection; you can be a small company in Tri State, South West or Puerto Rico, you still get hammered for RIPW having better production values, even if your product is vastly different or you're far away. Thing is, places like Puerto Rico, Hawaii or New Zealand have all the penalties or Regional Wars and production, pkus low importance and virtually no spillover, so growth is hell. Reading how the new system works makes comoanies like FCW, KAIZEN, L-Ring and ZEN way less punishing to play.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="James Casey" data-cite="James Casey" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>As I read it, importance is still in - but it's restricted to how the region is viewed. If you're just building popularity you're not penalised for not being in a hotbed region, but I suspect you may draw less compared to a similarly-sized fed in the Tri State, say.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><strong>The first change is that there's no longer both Importance and Popularity - now you just have the latter. </strong>This makes the system easier to understand as there's only one set of values and absolutely no maths involved, and it means you can't drop in size "out of the blue" because a region's importance level changed. Regions can still be more or less important though, as we'll cover in a moment.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I should have specified that I meant company importance... That stat never made sense to me. The most popular company should be the most important.</p>

<p>This latest entry gave me real Civ vibes of fighting the AI for land to the point that you want to just eliminate them so they won’t annoy you anymore.</p><p> </p><p>

I doubt it’ll be that serious, but it definitely gives me a lot of motivation to continue work towards a small/regional based game world. It’s been something I’ve personally tried to emulate many times via modding and it’s amazing to see that the AI will now have proper goals to grow their company.</p>

<p>I'm very intrigued by the new sliding scale of how size happens based off of regions. I think it adds a whole new element to the game -- particularly for us players who like to play as the previously small/regional companies such as MAW.</p><p> </p><p>

I have two questions based off of this.</p><p> </p><p>

1. Is there going to be a viewable master list before hand to help players determine where they want to be based out of? Particularly when wanting to create a new promotion -- so you can see the region requirements.</p><p> </p><p>

2. How will this affect alliances? For instance, the COTT had a cap of 'cult'. With cult gone, will it just be the corresponding size? Something else? This could be covered in a later post, so I'm just asking here.</p>

The more I think about this, the more I worry that growth needs to follow a predetermined path. While I do like the idea of companies racing to control certain wrestling hubs, I wonder if a company in the Great Lakes needs to head to the East Coast specifically, or can they go towards California or Canada instead?

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Historian" data-cite="Historian" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>1. Is there going to be a viewable master list before hand to help players determine where they want to be based out of?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> You can view the criteria from the size menu.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Historian" data-cite="Historian" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>2. For instance, the COTT had a cap of 'cult'. With cult gone, will it just be the corresponding size?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> You can assume that anything size-related will use the corresponding level. It mainly a cosmetic change, after all.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="RingRider" data-cite="RingRider" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The more I think about this, the more I worry that growth needs to follow a predetermined path. While I do like the idea of companies racing to control certain wrestling hubs, I wonder if a company in the Great Lakes needs to head to the East Coast specifically, or can they go towards California or Canada instead?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> You would need to go east if you're in the Great Lakes - the criteria are listed in the journal entry. You can go to California or Canada if you want to, there's nothing stopping that, it just won't help your size. Most times you will get a choice as to which direction however.</p>

For Great Lakes specifically, I’m surprised there is no option for expanding into middle America. Most of that region is considered proper “Midwest” in the real world so I wouldn’t see it out of the realm of possibility for a promotion to want to expand into the St. Louis area and then eventually down to Texas and Oklahoma.

<p>What i hope for is that with this interesting change, that might make growing and battling the AI harder, hopefully, we get to a point where no company is restricted of offering written contracts, regardless of size. If i create a wrestling company in my backyard, I can sign my next door neighbour to a written contract, if i want to. Yes, an extremely analogy, but makes the point clear. Obviously despite benefiting of signing him on a written deal (if he wants to, of course. But nobodies would love the security of a written deal.) I will have to deal with the disadvantages as well. Particularly the financial ones, that can end my business fairly quickly if not well managed. </p><p> </p><p>

If size is finally evolving, so should contracts.</p>

<p>Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit weird to call the largest companies in wrestling Titanic? Considering the fact that the Titanic is mostly known for being a catastrophic disaster? I understand that it was a big ship but it's mostly known for sinking into the ocean nowadays.</p><p> </p><p>

It's like calling your new airline the Hindenburg express.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="BigINMoldova" data-cite="BigINMoldova" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit weird to call the largest companies in wrestling Titanic? Considering the fact that the Titanic is mostly known for being a catastrophic disaster? I understand that it was a big ship but it's mostly known for sinking into the ocean nowadays.<p> </p><p> It's like calling your new airline the Hindenburg express.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Not really the same at all. Titanic is a commonly-used word, which also happened to be given as a name to a ship once upon a time, 105 years ago or so. If Titanic wasn't used as an English word outside of reference to the ship or the disaster, then maybe.....</p><p> </p><p> Maybe others had the same immediate connection when they saw the word Titanic used as a sizing label, but I honestly didn't.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="shawn michaels" data-cite="shawn michaels" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>What i hope for is that with this interesting change, that might make growing and battling the AI harder, hopefully, we get to a point where no company is restricted of offering written contracts, regardless of size. If i create a wrestling company in my backyard, I can sign my next door neighbour to a written contract, if i want to. Yes, an extremely analogy, but makes the point clear. Obviously despite benefiting of signing him on a written deal (if he wants to, of course. But nobodies would love the security of a written deal.) I will have to deal with the disadvantages as well. Particularly the financial ones, that can end my business fairly quickly if not well managed. <p> </p><p> If size is finally evolving, so should contracts.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yes. If you have the money, you should be able to make the deal.</p>

<p>Dusting off my account just to post my excitement for this. I am VERY glad to hear that this is an ambitious build, as software has changed a lot in the past 10 years and I am glad to have the opportunity to enjoy a more modern game.</p><p> </p><p> I would have been disappointed if the screen resolution stayed the same. Almost everyone has HD screen resolution now and the TEW2016 screen is looking very small these days.</p><p> </p><p> I have been playing since the Extreme Warfare 9000 days, through EWD, the classic EWR, and have paid full price for TEW 2004, TEW 2005, TEW 2007, TEW 2008, TEW 2010, TEW 2013 and TEW 2016 and am looking forward to TEW 2020. I was just thinking about a new game in this series the other day and wasn't sure if a new game in the series would be made ever again, and if I would cough up more money if it was the same exact engine with a new coat of paint again. Not that it isn't great, but its that classic Madden 2016 vs Madden 2017 argument.</p><p> </p><p> I am glad to see development continue on this series and for Adam to rebuild the games engine again. It is challenging but I think necessary to keep it modern, like the jump from EWD to EWR and the jump from EWR to TEW 2014.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="shawn michaels" data-cite="shawn michaels" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>What i hope for is that with this interesting change, that might make growing and battling the AI harder, hopefully, we get to a point where no company is restricted of offering written contracts, regardless of size. If i create a wrestling company in my backyard, I can sign my next door neighbour to a written contract, if i want to. Yes, an extremely analogy, but makes the point clear. Obviously despite benefiting of signing him on a written deal (if he wants to, of course. But nobodies would love the security of a written deal.) I will have to deal with the disadvantages as well. Particularly the financial ones, that can end my business fairly quickly if not well managed. <p> </p><p> If size is finally evolving, so should contracts.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I agree with this 100%. If a small company has a lot of money, a rich investor perhaps, this should be an option. Of course, for <strong>MOST</strong> small companies, this should be a bad decision punishable by going into debt, but if a worker does the math and realizes he can make the same or slightly less money without running himself ragged each month, he might take a written deal with a small company. Or maybe just the biggest star is written, to stop those "Cult" size companies from stealing your main draw at a premium.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="BigINMoldova" data-cite="BigINMoldova" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit weird to call the largest companies in wrestling Titanic? Considering the fact that the Titanic is mostly known for being a catastrophic disaster? I understand that it was a big ship but it's mostly known for sinking into the ocean nowadays.<p> </p><p> It's like calling your new airline the Hindenburg express.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> If I was naming my boating company Titanic Inc. Or something yes... I can see the reach you're going for. If my airline company was The Hindenburg Airways, okay. Got it. Not my wrestling company though.</p><p> </p><p> Some apply to your logic, you don't name your company "Hitler SS" or something but nobody goes "Oh Titanic.. that horrible boating accident." Even then, we're not naming the company, just the size. So nobody theoretically watching won't say "WWE is titanic... oh no!"</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Adam Ryland" data-cite="Adam Ryland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> You would need to go east if you're in the Great Lakes - the criteria are listed in the journal entry. You can go to California or Canada if you want to, there's nothing stopping that, it just won't help your size. Most times you will get a choice as to which direction however.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The only thing I would say is that if I see other promotions going in one direction, I'd be curious in going the other. </p><p> </p><p> So is the promotional size growth based on relative population sizes? Because then yeah, obviously going East is best for population reasons (there tends to be more people in New York than Idaho.).</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="shawn michaels" data-cite="shawn michaels" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>What i hope for is that with this interesting change, that might make growing and battling the AI harder, hopefully, we get to a point where no company is restricted of offering written contracts, regardless of size. If i create a wrestling company in my backyard, I can sign my next door neighbour to a written contract, if i want to. Yes, an extremely analogy, but makes the point clear. Obviously despite benefiting of signing him on a written deal (if he wants to, of course. But nobodies would love the security of a written deal.) I will have to deal with the disadvantages as well. Particularly the financial ones, that can end my business fairly quickly if not well managed. <p> </p><p> If size is finally evolving, so should contracts.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Better, more aggressive AI and an expanded contract system are 2 of the most important changes I'm holding out for personally. I'd like to see region exclusivity deals or maybe even written contracts that still allow you to take open deals just with certain companies, you see that sort of thing irl all the time on the indies.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Grimmas" data-cite="Grimmas" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I was wondering if modders could get a list of what all the expansions look like, so they can be more prepared for getting a mod up asap after the release date?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> We won't be releasing that until after testing as the criteria can, and probably will, change once the testers get to try it in action.</p>

Will there be expansion paths across countries? I guess the only obvious ones I can think of are southwest (or mid-south) USA and northern Mexico, and maybe Pacific Northwest + British Columbia. Japan, Europe, Australia, UK and India should be more self-contained I guess. But a company can definitely have a presence on two sides of the US border without being all that big