TEW2020 Discussion Thread

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="BuddyGarner" data-cite="BuddyGarner" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Gimmicks having more realistic requirements is great and all but it'd be nice if they actually had more effect rather than being mostly cosmetic other than gimmicks types.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Same. I guess a revamp of the gimmick system just wasn't in the cards.</p><p> </p><p> Maybe for TEW2024.</p>

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="tambourin81" data-cite="tambourin81" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Same. I guess a revamp of the gimmick system just wasn't in the cards.<p> </p><p> Maybe for TEW2024.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It's a huuuuuge shame, as gimmicks has always been a big part of what got a wrestler "over".</p><p> </p><p> Would Mark Calaway ever have become a huge star without clicking with the hugely successful Undertaker gimmick? Would Steve Austin without "Stone Cold"? Could Dwayne Johnson have main evented as "The Blue Chipper" Rocky Maivia?</p><p> </p><p> I had really hoped for some expansion to the alliance system as well.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Hive" data-cite="Hive" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>It's a huuuuuge shame, as gimmicks has always been a big part of what got a wrestler "over".<p> </p><p> Would Mark Calaway ever have become a huge star without clicking with the hugely successful Undertaker gimmick? Would Steve Austin without "Stone Cold"? Could Dwayne Johnson have main evented as "The Blue Chipper" Rocky Maivia?</p><p> </p><p> I had really hoped for some expansion to the alliance system as well.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Just because it hasn't been announced doesn't mean it's not coming!</p>

i know I've been kind of harping on the pre-booking calendar thing. Perhaps even to the point of it appearing that's the only feature I care about. But do I ever like the expansion of talent trading in today's entry. The talent swap in particular would be big for me. The way I play my training games is that I want to get guys to the point they no longer need me. So let's say I've made a guy like Weird Waldo Odlaw presentable enough he's getting strong enough offers from the outside world that he's giving them priority over me. That means he no longer needs my job in order to have one. I could then offer Waldo up to a PSW for Tank Bradley who would be a bit of a reclamation project due to all the ill-will Pittsburgh has for him. Allowing them to dump a guy the crowd hates and enabling me to not have to beat the bushes in order to fill the open main event spot. That could be potentially huge for all involved.

Yeah I'd definitely be a fan of the gimmick change. I create a new gimmick each time I change one (or at least 80% of the time) but this does often feel a little tedious.

The whole playing it safe/taking a risk is great. How the difficulty/subtlety works at the moment isn't too intuitive so this definitely sounds like an improvement. Also the idea that some gimmicks are safe but can last many years whilst others might catch fire but burn out and only feel relevant for a smaller time sounds great.

I feel like as long as there is a list of examples like previously mentioned then I struggle to see any real downside.

<p>I like the idea of changing the way gimmicks work (and think finishers and movesets need an overhaul altogether btw), but I'm not entirely sure how would you set up the gimmicks in the editor, meaning how would you pre assign gimmicks to workers.</p><p>

If you eliminate the gimmicks file, how do I even know someone like Sammy Bach is still working a Rock Star shtick?</p>

I love the idea of a new gimmick system. The current one is pretty bland. It needs a revamp. I usually just take a gimmick that fits the wrestler "the ones that are already implemented by the mod" then copy it, rename it to whatever I want "rainmaker" for example. Then, I make it unique. A real change to the gimmick system would be really cool.

<p>I really like the evolution of the gimmick approach in the upcoming game. This allows for more of a unique, creative-inspired strategy versus just simply saying "You're 'Power and Paint' because you fit it and that's kind of what I was thinking for you."</p><p> </p><p>

I also agree that a built in 'ideas list' could be good for some who really feel stumped on where to go. </p><p> </p><p>

I don't know if I read it right but, if I did, I'm not necessarily a fan of the game telling me how long I can run this gimmick before it gets stale/people don't like it anymore/in need of tinkering. That's something that somewhat removes a sense of strategy. Instead, I would like for road agent notes, lower grades with the character, and maybe even a financial hit to their merchandise as a sign that things aren't going well for them anymore. This would create more a realistic tinge to everything.</p>

<p>I like the gimmick change simply due to the current system being terrible from a balance standpoint.</p><p> </p><p>

Giving a worker a Gimmicky gimmick type which makes up most of the gimmick file is just strictly worse than one with no effects at all, not only do they lose so much from being “overexposed” they give additional penalties to all of your realistic and legitimate workers.</p><p> </p><p>

Something like the Undertaker gimmick is terrible in TEW for this reason.</p>

<p>I really appreciate you (Adam) showing ya some insight into the process. I also really like the new gimmick idea and I would be very much for It.</p><p> </p><p>

If implemented however, I’d love to have the suggestions/or list of pre-set gimmicks available or a do It for me button. I think that’d be nice for when I’m feeling lazy and have a huge roster which I tend to and likely will continue to play with. </p><p> </p><p>

Also, like I said before, if you do more of these types of posts I think that’d be fun. I enjoyed getting an inside look at the game and the development process.</p><p> </p><p>

Can’t wait for the new game! Cheers!</p>

Does the gimmicks change get rid of ratings for Comedy, Legitimate, Weasel etc? Because I do think there's <em>something</em> there with the current system - some performers have limited range, some guys just come off completely different than others even if they're similar talents - but you're right that it doesn't add a lot to gameplay.

Love the proposed gimmick changes, especially the part about hidden ticks. Would be awesome to have that be the way to finally implement babyfaces being completely hated sometimes, despite their skill level. Halting momentum could make it so that not any good prospect can get over just on sheer potential alone anymore. Their character also has to be unique enough to click.

<p>I like this proposed gimmick concept.</p><p> </p><p>

My first concern is initial database work. Will mods need to go through and do this work for every worker?</p><p> </p><p>

Also, is there going to be a way to incorporate "owning" a gimmick, gimmick overness, etc.? Thinking along the lines of "The Undertaker" or "Mankind" or "Kane" etc. gimmicks where they are company owned and the overness of the worker is largely tied to that gimmick.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="absolutelyridiculous" data-cite="absolutelyridiculous" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Does the gimmicks change get rid of ratings for Comedy, Legitimate, Weasel etc?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Probably. If you replace them with a few attributes (i.e. "Natural Comedian", etc) to highlight people who are especially good or bad and assume that anyone without an attribute can do it to a decent level then you're saving on the time it takes to fill in those stats for everybody and speeding the game up. You'd only need to retain the babyface and heel performance stats.</p>

<p>I'm really looking forward to the new gimmick change. Sounds like a really immersive and nice little thing than the current gimmick system. Also, what you said about the attributes sounds great as well, as this means a worker's personality can effect what gimmicks they can play (which is another fantastic idea/thing in my opinion). </p><p> </p><p>

Can't wait for next summer!</p>

Interesting things with the fill-in-the-blank gimmick selection and the intro screen. Perhaps you could solve the problem of inspiration by having an on/off button for gimmicks. When it's off, users get the write in box, and when it's on they can pick from a list of gimmicks like it is now.

<p>BIG YES! PLEASE, redo the gimmick system. I always hated the way the old one worked, especially in Real World when you started a game and like half of your roster wasn't suited to their gimmick.</p><p>

The idea of the new system sounds great and I would absolutely love to experiment with it. Plus, you can also go the safe route if you want to, so its a win-win in my book.</p>